EAC on Steam Deck / Proton / Linux

Options

Comments

• protake
    protake Member Posts: 7
    Options

Every big patch I keep thinking surely they will add with the next update. Then nothing keeps happening.

• nikodemo
    nikodemo Member Posts: 758
    Options

just popping in to let the Steam Deck / Linux squad know that VHS is now available to play in Early Access and can confirm it still works under Proton.

i hope DbD can catch up soon, but otherwise, see you in the Beyond!

• ThePaint
    ThePaint Member Posts: 13
    Options

I second this. Performance leaves something to be desired, my PC isn't all that good, but definitely above the recommended specs, yet it still manages to be very slow. That's Nvidia GPUs on Linux for you :/

• HatsuneCthulhu
    HatsuneCthulhu Member Posts: 12
    Options

I actually get flawless performance on linux with a 2070 Super, you just gotta make sure you're defo running kernel 5.18 or later, between 5.15 (default) and 5.18 they did some voodoo magic to make nvidia cards perform 20-25% better. Adding DXVK_ASYNC=1 as a param improves 90% of games too.

• davidlicurici
    davidlicurici Member Posts: 46
    Options

Please

• Pyc
    Pyc Member Posts: 97
    Options

no changes w/ last update, dbd doesn't work

• ThePaint
    Options

At this point it's just sad. Just plain old disappointingly sad. Nothin more nothing less.

• davidlicurici
    Options

Please up

• Rokolell
    Rokolell Member Posts: 25
    Options

Also, the regular reminder for the devs, that you can ask (yeah that's an existing concept) Valve for help, if you don't manage to get it to work. IMAGINE!

So, if you suffer from this fixme:eacbridge:CreateClientAuth Failed to create EAC interface ClientAuthInterfaceV001.

it's maybe time isn't it? ;)

• Moemarti
    Moemarti Member Posts: 20
    edited July 2022
    Options

Come on devs. It's Q3 already for the Steam Deck and valve has started shipping x4 the amount of Steam Decks they used to ship in Q1.

Fall guys has EAC and it works, MultiVersus works and it has EAC. What's the excuse? All I've heard that it just takes a click of a button to enable proton support for EAC.

• kizuati
    kizuati Member Posts: 1,386
    Options

There are many things that BHVR could add in extremely short spans of time that would be super good for the game. Makes you wonder why they dont do it..

• zaphonse
    zaphonse Member Posts: 2
    Options

I guess is either they can't test it, since they don't have a steam deck and want to also test controllers and inputs. Or they are afraid that Linux might bring more cheaters into the game, since Linux users are usually more tech savvy. But until they don't provide any info, it's impossible to know.

• Gahw
    Gahw Member Posts: 2
    Options

i don't think be tech savvy make someone more likely to cheat on a video games but remember that we don't ask to bypass the anti-cheat, we want BHVR to enable anti-cheat support for Proton.

And if they don't have a Steam Desk for testing, it looks like they can just request one with a form on Steamworks documentation or just use a PC with Linux, there is also an article in the documentation of this.

As for the silence, They are listening but for some reason, they don't want to tell why it's so slow. Also, in 2 months, this post will be 1 year old.

• Pyc
    Options

cheaters it not reason about proton supporting. eac = protect from cheat on all OS

• caseif
    caseif Member Posts: 2
    Options

To play devil's advocate, the Proton version of EAC as I understand it is a functionally different program from Windows EAC. On Win32 it runs as a kernel driver, which gives it a greater ability to monitor the whole system. This is in addition to Proton EAC creating a greater attack surface just by virtue of being an additional client.

That being said, I'm not really aware of this being a problem in other EAC games that have implemented Steam Deck support so far, so this is maybe more of a hypothetical problem than a real one. This also doesn't by any means excuse the total radio silence from the dev team for the better part of a year.

• jomarocas
    jomarocas Member Posts: 11
    Options

the support of this sucks, while you try to forget all users with the new pathetic changes, new users of users that have the game and want to play, you only ignore them, I'm a programmer, you need help free? only call me and I make the game work in eac with Linux

• HatsuneCthulhu
    Options

I think they must be aiming to be ready after the launch of the Steam Deck 2.0 in 2025

• Mitornimo
    Mitornimo Member Posts: 2
    Options

I just don't understand. There must be a way to make it work? Like fall guys works?... is it literally just a switch they flick to make it work on linux? how can EAC work for a game like fall guys, but fail for DBD

• Pyc
    Options
  • Stephen304
    Stephen304 Member Posts: 27
    Options

Sad to see this never got fixed :( Would really love to play this on my steam deck or linux pc

• cookieflips
    cookieflips Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi there! I'm new to the forum community, I recently purchased the game for 2 of my friends but unfortunately they could not run the game. One is using the Steam Deck and the other is using Linux. I understand this is being worked on but I would like to express additional interest in having this running on Proton! Please and thank you devs, love your game!

• davidlicurici
    Options

Please Devs

• Pyc
    Options

I think bhvr may not add proton support, because linux/deck users buy game w/o it😄

• HatsuneCthulhu
    Options

That's how you build a terrible reputation for your company. It's not just this, there have been so many things this company have done even before I switched to Linux that have led me to never want to give them any money again, and I know I'm not alone in thinking that.

I really hope they turn a corner and can start rebuilding their reputation, but I'm highly doubtful they ever will.

• Poor communication
    • Poor performance
    • Constant game breaking bugs whenever they release expensive expansions
    • Lack of innovation in game
    • Constant promises of features they never deliver
    • The list could go on
  • Moemarti
    Options

Hey I know a dev is reading this. Its Q3 already and still no news on this like come on...

• HatsuneCthulhu
    Options

Unfortunately devs usually get zero choice in what they work on, it won't be a development issue, it'll be management prioritising other things.

• kizuati
    Options

🙌 STEAM DECK SUPPORT NOW 🙌

C'mon it's not that bloody hard.

• slipttees
    slipttees Member Posts: 846
    Options

+1

• Gustash
    Gustash Member Posts: 19
    Options

It’s honestly such a poor business decision not to be focusing on this, specially now that Valve has cleared the production issues with the Steam Deck and existing reservations will all be delivered this year. That’s so many potential customers you’re missing out on by not doing a little work on your backend.

• davidlicurici
    Options

+1

• Moemarti
    Options

Just watched their event and still no announcement for Steam Deck support.... This is ridiculous.

• Moemarti
    Options

And ofcourse as I comment this the devs move the post to feedback and suggestions instead of the discussion tab.

• Pyc
    Options

devs say "maybe in the future, but no plans, no roadmap for deck"

• kizuati
    Options

steam deck support waiting room

• Nazo
    Nazo Member Posts: 15
    Options

I think the game will be playable on Steam Deck this summer 2026, but I'm an optimist

• HatsuneCthulhu
    Options

Anyone wanna take a bet that China reaches net zero emissions before DBD releases on Linux? 🤣

• davidlicurici
    Options

Pleaseee...

• ElusiveZatchmo
    ElusiveZatchmo Member Posts: 2
    Options

This thread has been going on for a while and I found a Verge article from November 2021 saying that they're working on it (https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/5/22709918/valve-steam-deck-supported-games-anti-cheat-proton-eac-battleye-epic). I'm saddened that we're still waiting, especially since it seems that EAC says that the DBD devs just need to "flip a switch" for it to work. Playing DBD was one of the major motivating factors for my getting a Steam Deck. I guess I'll sit here in the virtual waiting room with everyone else while we count days for how long it actually takes them.

• Rokolell
    edited August 2022
    Options

Some good news for the devs. The EAC loader issue seems fixed now, but support for Proton doesn't seem to be enabled (no 100% sure though) on the EAC side, yet.This causes the game to (obviously) hard hang on load.

[Info] Desktop screen settings detected. DPI: 96 DPI Multiplier: 1.000000 BPP: 32.
    [Info] Localization loaded for: 'en-US'.
    [Info] Settings file full path: 'Z:\run\media\bernhard\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Dead by Daylight\EasyAntiCheat\Launcher\Settings.json'.
    [Info] Start. ExecutablePath: 'Z:\run\media\bernhard\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Dead by Daylight\DeadByDaylight/Binaries/Win64/DeadByDaylight-Win64-Shipping.exe' LaunchParameters: '' WorkingDirectory: ''.
    [Info] Finished window initialization.
    [Info] [LauncherProgress] 0%.
    [Info] [LauncherFinished] EACAsyncResult: 0 Message: 'Easy Anti-Cheat successfully loaded in-game'.
    [Info] Unloading the EasyAntiCheat library.
    [Info] Destroying windows.
    [Info] Exit.

Update: The issue is still on the Proton side 😵:

048c:fixme:bcrypt:BCryptGenRandom ignoring selected algorithm
    09a8:fixme:avrt:AvRevertMmThreadCharacteristics (0000000012345678): stub
    *** stack smashing detected ***: terminated

Post edited by Rokolell on
  • Gustash
    Options

As Rokolell mentioned the game now crashes instead of displaying the previous message.

Funnily enough, as I was trying to debug the issue, I had an instance where the game booted up all the way to the Main Menu! Not sure what happened that time, and I still haven’t been able to replicate it.

I’ll keep debugging and trying to replicate the time that it worked, and document how exactly I got it to run, so I’ll keep you guys posted.

Unfortunately I did not try to get into a game, so I don’t know if it would actually play, but I’m fairly certain it would work since it passed the EAC check.

This does seem to indicate that the latest build is almost ready for Linux support, and some tweaking will probably make it run. If this is intentional, I don’t understand why Behaviour wouldn’t update us on this, to at least get us to be quiet for a bit, as it does seem they’re doing some work in the background (or it might just be Valve, who knows at this point).

• ThePaint
    Options

Maybe share your launch options and stuff? We could try to replicate it, maybe?

• davidlicurici
    Options

Initializing EAC client , and then crash.. :(

• Gustash
    Options

That’s the thing, I don’t really have anything special in the launch options. When it worked all I had was `PROTON_LOG=1 gamemoderun mangohud %command%`.

I feel incredibly stupid that I didn’t keep the log from the time it worked so I could diff it with a log of when it crashes. But when I get it to load again I’ll definitely backup the log file before anything else.

• davidlicurici
    Options

I DID IT I F@#K DID IT try several times or enter the game, it will work at some point

• ThePaint
    Options

Does not seem to work for me no matter what I try :/

I'd be nice to find a way to consistently replicate this.

• Gustash
    Options

Has anyone tried with the Epic Games Store version? I’m installing it now from Epic to see if the behaviour is different.

In the logs I can see a warning about not finding a friend with a specified UUID. I wonder if it’s an issue when trying to load cross platform friends that are online? Just a hunch

• Rokolell
    Options

Someone from LGD Discord tested the Epic version and it has the same issue.

• Gustash
    Options

So interesting finds. On Epic the game still has the previous “Couldn’t instantiate EOS” screen, even when using the steam proton experimental runner. To me, this indicates that the “fix” was indeed on Valve’s/Steam’s side, and not from Behaviour (pretend to be shocked for a second).

To corroborate this, Proton 6 gets the same EOS warning, so it was definitely a recent patch on Proton 7.

I guess my plan now is to keep running the game until it (hopefully) launches and then diff the logs to see if there’s anything obviously different there. Wish me luck.

• davidlicurici
    edited August 2022
    Options

did you find any solution?you have to try 30 times approximately, and 1 out of 30 attempts will work but in the end it still crashes

Post edited by davidlicurici on
  • ScoobyDoo
    ScoobyDoo Member Posts: 20
    Options

sigh

Really hoping that the DbD team will launch a Linux support with a release of the "Project W" chapter...