How was kill rate of 53% "below our expectations"?

12346»

Comments

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,662

I think there are many killer mains that are better than the survivor mains that constantly complain about low MMR solo q problems. It's much easier to win chases against Blight and Nurse if you've played them enough to understand their counterplay.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

The problem arent killers in solo q, in case you havent noticed that's not what solo q players are complaining about.

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,662

Maybe the problem is that some players are actually a lot worse than they think they are, and they are being properly matched with other survivors of their skill level?

I see so many posts complaining that certain killers don't have counterplay. When I'm playing Blight and Nurse, I certainly see people that understand their counterplay. I know exactly what survivors can do that can make it difficult for Blight and Nurse to get a hit, so I can try to mimic those things when I'm playing survivor.

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,436

The videos I posted aren't edited. There are games where I get squashed, games where I make embarrassing mistakes, etc. They're also done in continuous format for each session so you see me changing Tome challenges, etc and games I lose followed by games I win in.

That was my escape rate. I'm unsure if you were attempting to say mine were edited. I'm hoping not because, if you did, that sounds a lot more like you're just shutting yourself off to any opposing viewpoints and ignoring anything that doesn't suit your narrative.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

You can choose the videos you post, you can't choose the matches you get when streaming, that's the point.

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,436
    edited September 2022

It's pretty obvious from my videos I didn't pick and choose. The pips are consistent and I listed 75 of them in my data sheet. There were two videos I lost since I'm not a streamer or YouTuber and have no intention of being but since all the games are from Sept 13th to 18th and I went up a grade you'll have to either take my word they were similar or examine whether or not going up a level in a grade but somehow spectacularly failing makes any sense. As well, It's a short time period in terms of days and I do have a job so I can't spend all my time playing.

One I did get to put on my Excel sheet before I lost it but it was 3/8 escapes so it would make no sense to not show the video but yet record the data. The other was a strong build and I did well but didn't record anything so I didn't include it in the data but it would have slightly increased my escape rate.

I don't expect more than a very small handful of people would want to see any of my videos but I included them and wrote down the title and start time of each match and I listed them on the data sheet (which I thought more people would actually want to see). The links to each video are in the thread as well with the build and my escape rate for each game session. I also listed them in chronological order so you can see the progression from Ash IV to Iri IV by following the pips and game.

With all that in mind, does it seem like I selectively edited which games I would post?

• malloymk
    malloymk Member Posts: 1,553

I never dominated killers in the first place. I generally just enjoyed games that would at least see 5 gens completed (or even close to).

In 25 games since the meta shift update I escaped 4 times. I personally wasn't a DH/DS user before the patch. Probably about 70/30 swf before the patch. I played a total of 2 games with one friend. Both games we got housed.

I have 6,000+ hours in this game. I'm probably a slightly better than average player. But I have enough experience and game knowledge to know that my skill cap doesn't meet the requirements of being a successful survivor at this point. And I don't need to escape every game, but a 16 percent rate iis pretty damn low. And again, if the games were close, maybe I could accept that. But the majority of my games only 1 or 2 gens have been completed. That isn't even getting to other factors like killer and map variety.

I've seen enough for now to call it a game.

• mizark3
    mizark3 Member Posts: 2,231

The major issue I have with such disproportionate kill/escape rates is the matchmaking is tied to that. Survivors have ~40% escape rates, which means they net lose MMR 3 out of 5 matches, and Killers have the inverse problem of net gaining MMR 3 out of 5 matches. This makes MMR mean something completely different for both Killer and Survivor. These type of matchmaking ratings are designed around both sides having an equal chance of victory, but kill rates makes the intended system fall apart on itself. When a Killer faces someone of "equal" mmr that means that the Survivor is better at the base escape vs kill system than the Killer is due to the skewed numbers. Since many people respond to being outmatched with frustration and facecamping, they will then resort to those tactics. Since facecamping can result in a minimum 2k (in most normal cases) that helps feed boring unbalanced matches.

To fix this either matchmaking needs to be balanced around 50/50 kill/escape, or not be based on kill/escape at all. Also tactics that require minimal effort should yield minimal rewards. (Early) Facecamping should also yield a maximum of 1k. Endgame is fine, but when a Killer does it early it is all too easy to cheese a "victory".

• woundcowboy
    woundcowboy Member Posts: 1,994

If you’ve reached your skill cap, shouldn’t you be losing to better players?

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

Just use ACTUAL win/lose ratio instead, basically don't count 1k.

• Ciabe
    Ciabe Member Posts: 119

Since this thread got so much more traction than my own I want to point out the 39% survival rate isn't reality for the majority of players. It is far worse.

Because people don't seem to understand how easy it is to produce a 39% global escape rate while at the same time having terrible escape rates at lower mmr tiers here is some example data of the kind I would love to see from BHVR.

In this case, look how easy it is to get a global 39% rate while having vastly different escape rates for different mmr groups. This does not indicate a healthy balance and 39% hides a very ugly reality.

Now that first example is assuming equal play rates. As no surprise to anyone, pros play a lot more than beginners.

Now in this case I'm assuming the top 10% of players play up to 5 times (2nd top tier playing 4 times as much) as many games as the bottom 25% of players (big assumption on my part although conservative I suspect). I have also towned WAY back the escape rates on the upper end and mid tier, yet I still end up with just 39% global escape rate they are reporting. If we had kept my first assumptions on the top tier escape rates that would require even worse escape rates for the bottom tiers to reach the 39% when weight for game frequency. The other scary aspect is only 25% of the player base is seeing an escape rate over 50% while 75% see escape rates of 25% or worse in this scenario.

My ultimate point is that reporting a 39% escape rate is masking a huge issue in the lower 50% (or maybe 75%) of survivors. Public data on the lower 50% of players is non existent outside our own records. High tier play stats is more accessible and we can weigh in the smaller population size into the data.

Yes, my data is all hypothesis. I'm making a point that we need more data from BHVR because what they have provided is a extremely misleading and deceptive in attempt to mask a severe balance issue for a large percentage of the player base.