Survivors Should Care About Killer's Fun

Options

I see a lot of survivor players expecting the killer side to care about their fun - i.e. not tunnelling, not slugging, not camping, not sweating etc.

But what about survivors caring about KILLER'S fun? I've compiled a list of things survivors can do to increase the other side's fun - this way both sides can have fun, and that's the main goal, right?

Survivor Things to Do for Killer's Fun:

• Chill out with the gens - if you see 2-3 gens popping very early, chill out. Go do a totem or open a chest. You don't want the game to end prematurely. It would be equivalent to tunnelling a person out very early in the game.
  • Chill out with SWF communication - if you're in a Discord voice call with your buddies, don't call out information that would not be available to you had you played solo. Immerse yourself more in the game and make the game fair and fun for BOTH sides.
  • Don't tunnel gens - very simple. If a killer downs a survivor near 99 % completed gen, don't go to gen to complete it while the killer is going to hook someone. Leave the gen, and come back to it later. The killer put pressure, he deserves that gen being left alone. And if you tunnel that gen, this is equivalent to camping a survivor in the last seconds to get the 2nd/the 3rd stage on a survivor.
  • Don't hold W too much. Survivor holding W is an extremely unfun thing for a killer - there is 0 interaction and very little counterplay. Chill out with the W button, and go for a loop. In the end, that's what both sides want, correct? Chases, mind games and fun for both sides
  • Try to avoid using God Pallets. God Pallets is the literal definition of antifun for the killer - no counterplay and 0 interaction. Try to avoid using God Pallets unless it's a dead zone and God Pallet is the only thing available in that area. That is if you care about both side's fun.

These are a few things that survivors can do to make the killer's game more interesting and fun. If you have any further suggestions, let me know - curious to hear them!

Β«13

Comments

• Zephinism
    Zephinism Member Posts: 539
    Options

If I see 3 gens pop early I lean back in my chair and outside the window at the pigs flying over a rainbow or something.

• almofan1001
    almofan1001 Member Posts: 291
    Options

This is not satire and it was never intended to be that way.

Survivors don't like the killer doing X things because it's unfun/interactive/no counterplay.

Killers also don't like survivor's doing Y things because it's unfun/interactive/no counterplay.

Both sides agree to limit/minimize doing these things, and the end result = everyone is having more fun.

What's hard to get?

• Grumblephant
    Grumblephant Member Posts: 73
    Options

Buddy, I'm in the camp that camping, slugging, and tunneling, while unfair strategies, are still strategies. Heck, there are killers made for those purposes. I'll be salty still if I get tunneled out, but that's still a legitimate part of the match. But like I said, doing gens depends on the situation as a whole. Obviously someone new is going to get me to help them farm points, no sweat.

• almofan1001
    Options

The problem with your "salt" is that it probably also comes in undermining the killer's achievements, like telling that the killer was "no skill", "bad", etc even though they got 4K. This is just an assumption from my side about you, but survivors are very rarely salty without attacking killers.

So survivors often refer to insults, especially regarding the killer's gameplay choices, but the same is very rarely said to the survivor's side when they do barely any skilful activities and still manage to pump out gens and/or escape. In this case, a killer has every reason to be salty about survivors too.

• almofan1001
    Options

I don't remember the last time I was given a kill by a survivor, irrespectively how nice I played. The only time I get given a kill is when survivors are sick of the game and just want out lol.

• Gamall
    Gamall Member Posts: 487
    Options

No. Let's keep the genrush baby

• almofan1001
    edited November 2022
    Options

That's fine as long as you can take the other side also playing for the same principles ;)

• Terion
    Terion Member Posts: 810
    Options

Dont bodyblock the very first hook/dont bodyblock at all.

like the killer has earned the hook after they had a succsessfull chase right? Let them have it.

• almofan1001
    Options

Good one! I think also comp corner is applicable here.

• Olokun
    Olokun Member Posts: 264
    Options

The Same goes in the other way when you see SoloQ players Only, because you know it will be chill (mosts killer get a profit of it and always want to 4 k if not they are not happy) always remember SoloQ<Killer<SWF.

• almofan1001
    Options

Fair, but at this moment there is obvious bias involved in expecting killers to play nicely, but not the survivors. Most expectations for survivors currently are not to do actual toxic things, like teabags, flashlight spam, etc. But rarely ever it's being discussed regarding survivors' gameplay choices too.

• Rovend
    Rovend Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November 2022
    Options

About this, i dont know. I mainly play soloQ and believe me when i say that you cant honestly play chill at least in the first 3 min of the game.

As you can expect a full slowdown build in a fast movement killer.

As you can expect an agi-star midwich offering nurse curbstomping your team in 4 minutes.

As you can expect a facecamper bubba or a basement trapper.

As you can expect DC and suicide on hook early.

With all this things, it is hard to "play chill" and not commit to gens whenever i can. I dont go with gen rush builds though.

Post edited by Rovend on
  • Olokun
    Olokun Member Posts: 264
    Options

i never teabags and flash spam , as i very rarely camp or , slug or tunnel unless at the very end if i have nothing more to do in last resort . i win mosts of my game this way as killer 85% . As SoloQ my biggest problem are teamates.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,157
    Options

Cool advice

but

I'm going to play how I want to regardless of the role I decide to pick.

• almofan1001
    edited November 2022
    Options

If you take out "always" in all your statements, I think it would make more sense buddy. The game would be long-dead if it "always" happened.

Also by your logic then killers should also always tunnel and camp in case there are sweats on the survivor's side. It might not happen every game, but you can "expect" it, so the killers should not take chance and just play sweaty in case it happens.

• Rovend
    Options

Maybe not always, but it is frequently.

The two games i could play in the new map, both were against the most toxic face camping bubbas. The ones that keep hitting you on hook and nodding you for no other reason than to grief you.

In Most my games, the killers' build are always a variation of eruption/Brine/Overcharge/Pain res so i cannot stop repairing or i would be throwing.

And nurses are still extremely strong, and never fun to play against as they really always play like they are in a Dbd World Championship.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 2,973
    Options

Okay, Im just going to say it, the Killer's objective is hooks, the Survivor's objective is generators. Killers should be expected to get 2 Kills; or a better metric of 6 Hooks. Survivors should be expected to complete 5 generators.

You can play the worst match of Killer you have ever played, get 3 Hooks, and still leave a match with a 3K. You can play the best match of Killer you have ever played and still leave a match with 8 Hooks but a 0K. Kills do not matter at all. Some of my most fun matches of Killers are ones where I perform well and Survivors also perform well.

Tunneling and Camping are good at building pressure, but they suck if you want to improve. If you want to actively get better at the game, and have more fun as a result of improvement, making sure everyone else has a fun and fair matches. Go for unique survivors. Go for more hooks. Otherwise you are directly shooting yourself in the foot.

"Oh but fun is subjective", and it is, BUT, there is a huge clause here, how much of the game's skills you pick up on is a metric that can actually be measured. If MMR is throwing you into more difficult matches, and you take cheap methods for Hooks and Kills, it starts a cycle where you are only put into more matches you cant handle leading to the same cheap methods to play out over and over. It creates an unfun situations where the Survivors are forced to deal with your BS, and an unfun situation for the Killer because they feel like they cant do anything to win.

And if you think that what I am saying is a load of crap, allow me to just say, I use to be stuck in that cycle. I use to think that Tunneling and Camping were fine, so I tunneled one person out, and camped for my other Kills. I got stuck in this mindset that it was all I need to do to win. And I was not having fun with the game, and I blamed the game for it when really it was just my fault the whole time. You can go through my older posts and maybe even see how I felt about it.

I just dont want the same to happen to others.

• foxsansbox
    foxsansbox Member Posts: 2,209
    Options

There is nothing hard to get, we are not subscribing to any playbooks. Satire or otherwise.

• Terion
    Options
  • Terion
    Options

exactly, thats the way survivors to tell the killers to risk their games aswell. Someone just made the effort to turn it around. If we all would agree upon this rules even i would start to not tunnel and camp etc. But it aint gonna happen and whenever someone is flaming about tunneling im going to look at this post and see if they disagreed with it, then i immediatly know they are biased.

• Rovend
    Options

Not every game, but i had 4-5 nurse streaks in midwich.

• Terion
    Options

when? today? or the past week? do you mean 4-5 nurse streaks every day?

you say you can always expect it so it has to happen like regularly.

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 1,803
    Options

you gotta wave them over and let them down u for free

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,734
    Options

I wish there was a universal way we could communicate that we want to chill and have chases rather than kill/gen rush and get it all over with asap.

I would love to be able to have fun chases and I am happy to let everyone go, or have fun chases and be sacrificed at the end. But as killer if I try to be 'nice' it gets mistaken as weakness and I get BM'd or as survivor I just get camped and tunnelled and wish I had just rushed gens.

Occasionally the other side gets it and it is so much fun when I can instigate a 1v1 in a match rather than a literal 1v1 custom

• Rovend
    Options

It was once, like two weeks ago.

Yes, i said that wrong. I truly meant to say that whenever i queue alone and start a game, i can expect to be matched regularly with nurses and these nurses regularly bring midwich offerings, but not always. Happy?

• Terion
    Options
  • RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573
    Options

Someone gave me one last night (although I think it was more because I had an absolutely dismal game). Which got funny, because I carried him to the exit gate and he kept crawling back. EGC won, in the end.

• Rovend
    edited November 2022
    Options

I will always agree with no BM the killer, no T-bags at gates, being nice in the end game chats. But not everything in the OP can be done.

If i see the killer using perks like eruption to play against soloQ players, i usually wont chill on gens.

If i am matched against a killer with a clear anti loop mechanic(nurse, artist), i will hold W or i will die.

If i see a killer with a clear intention of tunneling me to death at 5 gens, i will use every god pallet i can find.

Depends on the situation, but understand that this is not out of despise for the killer but because i also want to win from time to time.

• almofan1001
    Options

That's what you should do as a survivor, and that's what I would do too. With that being said, accept the killer playing by the same principles (somewhat reasonably using any means to win) and don't talk badly about him, and don't tell that he is unskillful or doesn't deserve the result.

If you criticize how he played, you can also be criticized for the same things. What you should do, is say "gg" and analyse what things you could've done better in that game. And if you are 100 % absolutely sure there is nothing you could've done better, then you are free to complain about it on forums - but only if you are 100 % certain about it ;) But usually, there are tons of things survivors could've done better and things to learn from - regardless of how the killer played.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,558
    Options

We could all do to care a little more about the other sides enjoyment of the game.

• Rovend
    Options

But i am not criticizing how killers play. πŸ€”

I am just saying that not always you can apply the things you posted in the OP.

The only times i write something is when i face a killer that really tries his best to be as toxic as possible. The ones that leave you on the floor to bleed, or the previously mentioned facecamp bubbas hitting you on hook.

Other than that, is always a "gg" and leave

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,190
    Options

Nobody should care at all about either side is the truth, the people who want to get salty about camping, tunneling, SWF, genrushing etc... Are the main problem with this game, it's not real life ya know? Someone didn't go to the killers house and smash a real pallet on him , start dropping bags and leave, vice versa the killer didn't go to the survivors house and beat them up , watch them bleed out on the floor etc... When people forget this is supposed to be fun and not serious 100% of the time that's when it's time to play a different game and chill out instead of people acting like they're all certified GOATS of the game and how dare anyone disrespect their pixels in a imaginary setting πŸ™„

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,558
    Options

Except both sides have FAR too much control over how much fun the other side will have.

Even if they lose, Killers can absolutely ruin one person's game.

Even if they lose, survivors can stress the ######### out of Killers and make them have a miserable time.

• ByeByeQ
    ByeByeQ Member Posts: 1,104
    edited November 2022
    Options

"Don't tunnel gens - very simple. If a killer downs a survivor near 99 % completed gen, don't go to gen to complete it while the killer is going to hook someone. Leave the gen, and come back to it later. The killer put pressure, he deserves that gen being left alone. And if you tunnel that gen, this is equivalent to camping a survivor in the last seconds to get the 2nd/the 3rd stage on a survivor."

Ummmmmm, no. HELL NO!!!

If a gen is at 99% (and the killer isn't a patato with zero hooks) I am willing to die to get it done and to hell with the killer's enjoyment. With the current Overcharge, Call of Brine, & Eruption meta if I leave that gen and go scratch my balls the gen will be at zero. If it's a critical gen in the center of the map, I try that much harder.

Edit: Besides finishing a gen =/= killing a survivor. All the gens can get done and the survivors can still all die and lose the game. If a survivor dies, the game is over for that person.

• Bran
    Bran Member Posts: 2,087
    Options

Aw yes. Equality.

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,190
    Options

It's on the person to brush it off and move on no matter what side because it's a game, I encourage people to find the humor in all of it , laugh it off and move on and they'll be more pissed you didn't give them the reaction they were looking for

I mean the way this game is, that survivor who you feel disrespected you could be the one to get you out of a match later on and become a friend, but nobody who trash talks and gets upset will ever know that because then that person will say ######### it leave em to die, this is why in chat I'm always respectful and nice win or lose because at the end of the day game is over at that point and we're all having fun.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140
    Options

I'm gonna be honest, my lobbies don't see the gates being powered (let alone opened) quite as often as matchmaking would have me believe they should. So I'd love to chill with the gens, for example, but doing so would only make the discouraging 0E streaks longer.

I will however do what I can to not be a terrible opponent or an even worse sport. It's not hard not being a dick.

I don't teabag or click. I'll leave compliments in endgame chat if killer played fair. I admonish teammates if they were teabagging at the gate or being mean to killer. If killer played fair and got no kills, I'll typically offer them one if I'm not coming back from 10 games of dying in a row (Unless it's a Nurse. Inexperienced Nurses will never walk out of a game with 0K on my watch !). They don't usually accept the kill, but they appreciate the sentiment in my experience.

• almofan1001
    Options

Edit: Besides finishing a gen =/= killing a survivor. All the gens can get done and the survivors can still all die and lose the game. If a survivor dies, the game is over for that person.

Killing a survivor also doesn't mean instantly winning a game. You can still lose a game even if you tunnel/camp a survivor. And tunneling gen is very similar to tunneling a survivor. Maybe not equal in reward and different impact levels depending on the game stage, but damn close.

Leaving a gen 99 % will probably mean that killer can regress that gen.

Leaving a survivor who gets unhooked at the last seconds before the next stage means that you gave all free time during that stage progression to survivors, and the survivor gets another chance for a chase which is 20+ seconds time waste at least and at worst, an escape and lost pressure.

If you can tunnel that gen, a killer can also wait the last 5 seconds of the hook stage.