EAC on Steam Deck / Proton / Linux

Options

Comments

• mandysuxx
    mandysuxx Member Posts: 41
    Options

I know, I got all excited about it and almost even bought the battle pass thinking like “heck yeah back on the grind”.

hilariously also dbd ran better on my Ubuntu than the windows 10 what the laptop had before.

• Pyc
    Pyc Member Posts: 97
    Options

dbd on linux run better than windows? what windows u try? win 7?

• ylem
    ylem Member Posts: 22
    Options

Windows is a considerably worse OS on mid to lower specs PCs (high specs users usually won't even notice, because framerate is irrelevant because most people don't even have screens which can display it). Most people who use Linux are tired of Windows essentially forcing planned obsolence onto absolutely functional hardware through being really badly designed. Many games are proven to run better on Linux via Proton (i.e. Nier). I don't play old games either, I play new games or games up to ~2 years old (unless continously updated MP). All people I know who are gamers who moved to Linux give performance as the reason for the move.

• Pyc
    Options

I talk about dbd, but not about linux vs win (cmon, i'm linux user too)

check my post on this page, i'm said about dbd performance on linux and win {7,8}

well, I does't see games with better performance under linux (native or proton), instead win

• AbsoluteLength
    AbsoluteLength Member Posts: 48
    edited November 2022
    Options

Windows 10 and 11. Linux version ran better than both for me. Noticeably smoother. But Linux in general has less overhead than Windows does.

for reference my system is a 2700x, 32gb ram, 2060. So low end ish. Not a gaming beast but decent enough. Solid 120 fps after unlocking.

• nikodemo
    nikodemo Member Posts: 758
    Options
  • Pyc
    Options

hmmm, I never try win 10 and 11, but on win 8 dbd runs better than debian for me. under win8 i have stable 60fps, under linux i have some fps drops

• AbsoluteLength
    Options

Only 1080p. I run so much other software at the same time, OBS, Audio Mixer etc.

Normally record too, so I'm surprised it hasn't melted tbh 🤣

• nikodemo
    Options

debian is usually pretty outdated. not sure which version you're running tho.

i only get the initial shader compilation stutter. everything after that is smooth as butter and better than win 10 for me. i'm on EndeavourOS, an arch-based distro.

• nikodemo
    Options

haha nice! i'm trying to figure out what GPU i need to hold 120@4k. XD

• jomarocas
    jomarocas Member Posts: 11
    Options

and the solution for steam version is ... an update of devs on steam version or is EAC, what solution, please ...

• ylem
    Options

I never used Debian, because I swapped to rolling release which is bleeding edge since starting on non-bleeding edge distros. Gaming is far better on bleeding edge for me due to updates to graphics. I'm on openSUSE tumbleweed, previously on Fedora. Gaming on both of those was far better than on ZorinOS (non-bleeding edge distro). I never had any stability issues and genuinely don't get why people hate rolling release distros. The sole issues I had was on betas of non-rolling release distros. Oh, and as much as I love the idea of Wayland, it works worse for me than X11. Oh, and always remember to swap to window (borderless or not). One thing which never works too well for me is fullscreen, but I'm decently sure it's not too good on Windows too from what I remember. Depending on level of experience, I'd recommend ZorinOS for complete Linux noobs (Installed it for my aunt who still had Vista whose laptop could never take on modern Windows, but ran smoothly under Linux), Fedora for non-complete noobs and I'd say openSUSE is fine for medium experience. I tried arch VERY briefly, but I'd say don't touch until very experienced. I judge based on your level of knowledge needed to have stuff working. Essentially, it's a scale of how much things will get easily/auto installed and how much you need to install. Arch expects you to install all on your own so if you don't know what you need, you won't know what you're missing to have stuff running. Probably SteamOS 3.0 for PC will have official release by the time they re-enable DBD Steam support and I imagine it will be set up so you don't need to know anything about arch to game.

• AbsoluteLength
    Options

Nobody knows because BHVR refuse to tell us anything. It does seem like it's BHVR that needs to fix/enable it.

• Dad_
    Dad_ Member Posts: 19
    Options

The CM is out of the office. They will probably reply to Niko's @'s when they get around to it.

Even if we get the same response as before, I image we are close to getting Steam Deck support. The UI changes are already in-place for Steam Deck.

• nikodemo
    Options

Yeah, I want to stay optimistic and say it's right around the corner. The UI changes do tell me this will happen, at least for Steam Deck. I just hope they don't shut the rest of us out. As long as we can pass EAC, just let us play and spend money. XD

• Pyc
    Options

i"m using debian sid, it's similary as rolling release.

2nd distro for me - opensuse, but few weeks ago I can't install thumbleweed + gnome + nvidia propietary and I'm return to debian sid.

idk about window mode for game, I want try it, but dbd doesn't work at this time %)

• AbsoluteLength
    Options

O god I hope not.

They'll add a check to make sure it only works on Steam OS! 🤣😭

• nikodemo
    Options

my hope is that the extra work will deter them from doing that. XD

• ylem
    Options

Oh, right, sorry, I forgot Nvidia exists. I wish you all the best of luck.

You know what's most painful about no DBD access? I'm 1,2~ iri away from buying Vittorio and have enough premium currency in to buy the shirtless option. They're just afraid of me running around half-naked in all my Linux glory. :"(

• AbsoluteLength
    Options

Every morning I wake up and think, maybe today is the day we get an update.

Then I load up this forum to see the stone dead silence and I honestly don't know why I expect anything more.

*Insert crickets chirping*

Looking at all the other bugs and problems in game, I feel like Linux has just been pushed to the back of the room.

In the cold dark damp corner.

Like Wheezy from toy story.

But it worked damn it! It worked! 😅🤣

• Moshquito
    Moshquito Member Posts: 9
    Options

Same here! I Check this post several times a day and also trying to join a match about 3-4 times a day. I am soooo dissapointed. Just want to play this game on the Deck. I did not touch my desktop PC since i got it - so i did not touch dbd. I did not find a good alternative to it, since Friday the 13th is dead too.

• BenKato_
    BenKato_ Member Posts: 2
    Options

I always get every comment here on my mail, read every one and hope it will work. When it did, I played some rounds with friends and now I just wait again... Every morning I hope that I get THAT email which says it finally works ;-;

My disappointment and frustration with this is immense....

Man, I just want to play with my friends, have fun hunting them down and getting hunted by them while having voicechanger and stuff on... it is so fun and we had some hilarious conversations... It fcking worked but then they disabled it or messed smth up and now we have to wait again...

Come on ;-;

• ScoobyDoo
    ScoobyDoo Member Posts: 20
    Options

Well, you can unlock the cosmetic first and then the Vittorio later 😹

That being said, I'm not entirely certain if buying anything from the store is a good idea since, you know, some things aren't functioning on Linux. Thus, it would be probably wise to wait.

P.S.: Shirtless Vittorio is nothing compared to the shirtless Felix 😼

• jneurotica
    jneurotica Member Posts: 4
    Options

sounds to me like your CPU may be the bottleneck here. a 1080 Ti should keep the game running at the 62 FPS cap on either OS when paired with a decent CPU from the past 5 years. even my old Ryzen 1600 (non X) kept my old RX 570 close to cap (which should be substantially slower than a 1080 Ti)

• Pyc
    Options

maybe u right, but for upgrade cpu I need upgrade motherboard and ram...

but under win 8 dbd run perfectly and cpu not loaded at 100%

• yvir
    yvir Member Posts: 1
    Options

Would be awesome to have this working.

• nikodemo
    Options

aw, AbsoluteLength got banned. :( that's sad.

let's all try to remember that there are people on the other side of our screens here. the mods, the CM, the devs, each other.

while we're disappointed and frustrated, we just have to trust that they're doing their best to help us out.

• yosoynacho
    yosoynacho Member Posts: 7
    Options

sad... anyway, there are plenty of other games to play and spend money on.

• toxy999
    toxy999 Member Posts: 2
    Options

The fact that no one is giving a proper update should be a clear sign this isn't going to be fixed anytime soon. It just doesn't look good at all...absolutely ridiculous.

• nikodemo
    edited November 2022
    Options

there are so many positive reports on the protondb page after the false start that was Thanksgiving.

lots of people are just waiting to play. such a shame.

i had submitted a report of Working, but i just submitted a new report of Borked again. such a pity, since the game works fine if they'd just let it.

• nikodemo
    Options

Updated OP.

• jneurotica
    Options

or maybe they just don't have permission to give anymore information than we already have yet. my theory is that Thanksgiving was just a quick test run and that they're probably aiming for Deck verification by Christmas so new Steam Deck owners will see it on the front page or something like that. if true, kind of a big brain move ngl.

• nikodemo
    Options

i'd certainly like more communication, but as long as it eventually works i'll deal. it seems like they've put in enough work at this point that they will see it through, imo. but i won't rest easy until it's actually here and working.

• jneurotica
    Options

yeah but i think Proton/DXVK may add a few more steps for your CPU to process. most games only use 2-4 cores and those cores are probably already being pushed to the max without DXVK on top. Linux IS lighter than Windows, but both operating systems can take advantage of the extra cores while the game itself probably does not.

• Pyc
    Options

few minutes ago dbd download some update, but online doesn't work 🤬

• Mrfirepotato
    Mrfirepotato Member Posts: 34
    Options

Steam Deck just announced it will open orders on Asia in December. Dbd is losing all that Marketshare plus existing steam deck owners.

I skipped buying skins, this dlc and the rift. Imagine how many other people who are not in this forum are also skipping all content as well.

Specially during the season where online sales for the holidays had people spending tons of money. They're not getting the Bigger picture here.

Heck even Nintendo is scared of the potential of steam deck at this point lol.

• Nonolls
    Nonolls Member Posts: 6
    Options

Hi guys, I recently published a post and reddit and some players claim they can still play DBD from the steam os (linux).

I quote them: "[...] it works if you install proton easyanticheat runtime (searchable from steam library - yes, library) before installing DbD, tried it and it worked flawlessly […] I have been playing this way for 3 days and it works perfectly"

I don't want to give false hope, if it doesn't work for you I'm sorry.

But I prefer to share it anyway, it might work for some people

• ylem
    Options

Can the person post any video proof and how their files look like? This is how I installed my OS (fresh install, then I install Steam stuff, i.e. Proton EAC first and much later I installed DBD) and it's never worked.

• Nonolls
    Options

Well, you can ask them. I'm not sure if I can post links here, but the reddit post is titled "Dead By Daylight on Windows?" and was posted 10pm ago on the reddit r/SteamDeck.

Two of them claim to be able to play the game without any problems on Steam OS

• ylem
    Options

I responded to the comment of the person asking them if they could post further information for other people to repro to play.

If anyone sees people speaking of being able to play matches on Linux, I don't understand why you don't speak to them yourself and come to post here instead. If you want to play the game, you need to be a tiny bit more proactive. It costs you nothing and I find it bizzare that you can you in the effort to mention it here, but cannot ask the person who possibly holds the actual solution directly, lol. We all want to play the game and since BHVR doesn't seem too interested in collecting our money, possibly the only way might be speaking to people who say it works for them and dissecting their game files.

• Nonolls
    Options

I don't have a steam deck, but I'm planning to buy one, not being able to play dbd is the only thing holding me back from buying one, that's why I'm asking around. 

So I can't test if it works, but I'm just trying to help those who can in the meantime. Please, there's no need to be bitter like that.

• Pyc
    Options

they gave us hope, then they took everything away and are silent. dbd still won't start.

• aleksasiriski
    aleksasiriski Member Posts: 5
    Options

The game works for at least one person using Heroic Games on Arch Linux.

https://github.com/Starz0r/AreWeAntiCheatYet/issues/971#issuecomment-1332715633

• nikodemo
    Options

Uninstalled both.

Installed Proton EAC Runtime.

Installed DbD.

Got to menus.

Disconnected from match with error 500.

No change.

• coffeestuff
    coffeestuff Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2022
    Options

It worked for me last night. I managed to get into the main menu.

Same setup as before, I didn't change anything.

GE-Proton7-41

Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

In Steam (not Epic Games).

• nikodemo
    Options

The main menu doesn't mean it's working. You have to play a full real match.

• aleksasiriski
    aleksasiriski Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2022
    Options

What is your setup? Distro, Steam (normal or flatpak?) or Heroic, any tinkering?

Also, define "worked". Everyone can get into the main menu the issue is multiplayer...

• coffeestuff
    Options

For me, it previously wasn't even letting me into the main menu once it stopped working (after having worked perfectly).

I'll try to play a match later on.

I edited my post above but I'll put it here again:

GE-Proton7-41

Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

In Steam (normal) (not Epic Games).

• coffeestuff
    Options

Either my edits aren't showing up.... or we're just missing each other.

Yes, I use proton-GE

GE-Proton7-41

Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

In Steam, not flatpak etc, installed through package manager

Getting into the main menu was progress for me after it stopped working. I will try a multiplayer game later and share the results. I won't be able to until later this eve EST.