The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Has there ever been a perk that's as busted as current day Eruption?

Comments

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,932

Eruption has counterplay when you're in SWF. Playing solo? You are screwed.

• versacefeng
    versacefeng Member Posts: 1,132

And when you're talking about Boil Over, are you referring to the first time it was ever buffed? Because that I can agree with.

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108

Og dead hard

• TigerSnake
    TigerSnake Member Posts: 531

Comparing Eruption to Deadlock and Pain Res is goofy when those perks work completely differently. Thrilling Tremors is also outclassed by a lot more perks than just Eruption.

• Malkhrim
    Malkhrim Member Posts: 956

Eruption is not even CLOSE to old survivor perks.

Decisive Strike (Original): It was active from start and lasted until used, no hook requirement or time limit. Which means, no ways of countering. It made getting your first hook much harder and there was a good chance you would need 4 downs to sacrifice each survivor instead of 3. Not to mention the skillcheck appeared earlier for the obsession, so the killer would have to avoid chasing the obsession all the time.

Decisive Strike (2019 rework): It became an anti-tunelling perk, but still lasted for a minute, didn't go off when healing and working on gens, worked normally in endgame and you could end up getting hit by it even when not tunneling.

Mettle of Man (original): like the original DS, but worse and possible to use multiple times. It gained progress every time the survivor took a hit.

Self-care (Original): YOU COULD HEAL MID-CHASE WITH THIS THING!

Exaustion perks in general: Exaustion would go down normally while you were running. Sprint Burst and Balanced Landing could activate multiple times during a chase and give you free distance.

Object of Obsession(original): allowed you to know where the killer was all the time, even if it was a stealthy one like Wraith, Pig or Ghostface.

Boil Over (post-buff): could make hooking you impossible on some places. Paired with Exponential and an RPD Offering, it was completely broken.

Boon: Circle of Healing (at release): 100% bonus healing speed. You healed as fast as if you had a med-kit, but it lasted for the whole game.

And of course, Dead Hard (pre-rework). I don't even need to talk about this one.

If people thing ERUPTION is the most broken killer perk in history, this only shows once more how the game used to be tremendously survivor-sided and how the balance improved a lot over the years.

• gnehehe
    gnehehe Member Posts: 510
    edited December 2022

First generation DS was pretty absurd too ... but only veteran players can remember it

Not a single another perk was as absurd as Eruption is, since the release of the game

This is even a fact when you add the solo-q players in the equation

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627
  • Rookie1978
    Rookie1978 Member Posts: 75

yeah eruption googoo gaga and all but really? as great as it is, it's still arguably situational with no guaranteed proc. thinking ruin/undying isn't as bad or worse than modern day eruption is crazy rose tinted glasses; or, effectively, a present day negativity bias. nerf eruption and all but get real

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638

Terrible, terrible false equivalency.

Eruption CANNOT carry a game because Eruption does nothing by itself. If you get looped really well, Eruption does nothing. It ONLY works on a down. Ruin requires you to do literally nothing to get value out of it.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

Well DH and SC are still the most used survivor perks. So if they touch Eruption because its being used to much, then guess what also gets hit with the nerf hammer.

• Tsulan

Correct. It was far superior and much more oppressive during the short amount of time after they buffed it and before they nerfed it again.

• Tsulan

After the release of Original Freddy and the nerf just 1 week later. They certainly slowed down. Maybe a bit to much.

Sometimes i think they should be more daring and release chaotic wild stuff for a month to test and see how it goes. Just like Boil Over. While it was utterly oppressive it also changed the way both sides played for that brief amount of time. So adding some commically OP stuff for both sides during a certain amount of time could be fun and lead to new metas. When people realize that they don´t need their precious meta perks to have fun.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

120sec of Gens saving time on down.

Survivors eventually only have TL to play and die by bloodlust.

Its not skill issue, its just math.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,849

I don't remember any for killer that have been so completely broken.

Original MOM for survivor is comparable as far as being broken goes, or original DS but other than those I cant think of any single perk that has been so completely and utterly broken.

Sadly I it is unlikely we will see this fixed until next year after the xmas/NY break... but I guarantee they will be dealing with it as clearly it is a big problem. The unexpected Bloodhunt is probably an attempt to mitigate the damage to the queues as survivor matchmaking incentives are currently on most of the time and I know why...

• jajay119
    jajay119 Member Posts: 970
    edited December 2022

I have two issues with Eruption:

Firstly, it's unpredictable. You cannot tell when it's going to come into play well enough to try and counter it. Pain resonance can at least be countered to a reasonable extend if you pay attention. But coupled with my next point it's not enjoyable to go against.

Secondly, the incapacitated effect. No perk should ever stop you doing anything other than running round/unhooking - especially with the broad spectrum of killers who are able to teleport round the map in some way now. I find eruption is run mainly by Nurses, Weskers, Onryo and Blight's who can get form one side of the map to another very quickly. The combination of the above two elements becomes too oppressive at times and one of them needs retuning. I think removing the incapacitated effect would be easier than coming up with a counter for the unpredictability - which is probably the perks true benefit.

Also, Eruption is at it's most problematic when combined with slowdown perks; which it often is and means killers can be granted up to about 350% regression on the gens and therefore they have a massive effect on the gens by the time you can interact with then again and/or get back to them.

Post edited by jajay119 on
  • MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,849

Just had yet another game where the killer was completely carried by Eruption... full slowdown build in Wesker and despite us all being able to loop him well it just wasn't enough as eventually the map became a dead zone (Gas Heaven) where he just proxied the middle of the map and let Eruption do the work.

This situation is infuriating beyond words

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,200

You're forgetting the first rule of the DbD forums: in any imagined scenario, the killer is awful at the game and the survivors are perfect. Many will claim that chasing and downing survivors is this monumental task that should be rewarded with 30+ seconds of game delay on each gen with Eruption.

• C3Tooth

I cant believe such calculating from a killer main like you.

Its 40sec, not 30.

• CodeDB
    CodeDB Member Posts: 272
    edited December 2022

Saying killer perks get gutted while survivor perks are left viable with Dead Hard/Thana as your example is such a misleading thing to do.

Why not compare Pain Resonance and Iron Will? Or Awakened Awareness and Boil Over? Or Corrupt Intervention and Calm Spirit?

Yes, perks were changed. Some were received better than others. But to make it an Us vs Them thing is gross.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,235

Not very accurate calling survs perfect or claiming people do if most people urge "poor bad solos" to get buffed.

• edgarpoop
    edited December 2022

MY BAD. I still have the old meta equipped because I like to pretend 6.1 mid-chapter never happened. I'm out here with Corrupt/PGTW/Bamboozle/Lethal on every killer except Nurse.

• Omans
    Omans Member Posts: 1,081

When the devs inevitably nerf Eruption, as they will because it is incredibly overtuned, I urge the posters who are saying Eruption is fine to reconsider your thoughts on how this game should be balanced.

Your views on what is and isn't balanced is incredibly flawed.

Maybe it is because you only play killer while using Eruption, and it has carried you to an MMR you don't deserve to be at so even with Eruption you are having trouble. (i think this is the most common)

Or maybe it is because when you do play survivor you only play in a group that does callouts, so you have no clue why Eruption is such a big deal.

Or maybe your MMR is so low that even a killer with no perks or addons is a struggle to go against, so whether or not any single perk is strong or not is hard to determine.

Whatever it is, please, reconsider how you think about game balance after you are shown to be insurmountably incorrect.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

Because:

• Iron Will is a poorly designed perk, much like Boil Over. If it's strong enough to be useful, it breaks the game.
    • Calm spirit was never a good perk.
    • Thana was nerfed to worse than it was originally. Also see: Ruin.
    • A good chunk of thread is an 'us versus them' thing already.
    • You cannot argue that most threads complaining about perks are complaining about killer perks. Since the patch, it's been Overcharge, Thana, STBFL, Eruption. Two of which were nerfed into uselessness or near uselessness and one which almost certainly will be. Yes, it gets my back up.

• socalfusions
    socalfusions Member Posts: 123

Literally see this perk in every single killer game it's incredibly boring considering the immense pressure it creates in solo que lower ranked games.

• GrimReaperJr1232
    GrimReaperJr1232 Member Posts: 1,690
    edited December 2022

Uh... yeah?

Mette of Man, Object, PTB Blood Favor, DS, Boil Over, Balanced Landing, and Dead Hard. That's just off the top of my head.

• edgarpoop

You described working around CoB and Overcharge, not Eruption. Chasing and downing a survivor is not this monumental task that consistently takes 60+ seconds.

• Aye, the cognitive dissonance is unreal. Assuming the area immediately around a gen is deadzoned from a 30+ minute game, a 10 second chase is all it takes to slap someone on an M1 killer. At which point they have to go reset, meaning two people are stuck with a 16 second heal assuming no boon, or one person self caring for 32 seconds in a boon. At which point COB overcharge is doing work and the other gen gets pressured. Once a down happens, anyone who happened to be on a gen gets locked off and the gen ticks down helplessly in front of them. The gen kicking meta is by far the most stale meta I've ever seen.

I find it funny that Eruption apologists fail to address the fact it's mathematically superior to dedicated perks in one of three categories it dominates at the same time. They make a special exception for why the perk is easy to deal with (killer is playing a M1 killer with no chase power, survivors are hitting every skill check, survivors are on comms, survivors play perfectly, 3 gen has recyclable loops next to it etc.).

• edgarpoop

Even if we say 30-45 seconds which is a realistic mark late game for a really good killer player, Eruption is giving you most of your time back with one perk alone. If I'm on an M1 or weaker chase killer, I have Bamboozle to eliminate the stronger setups. And if I don't have Bamboozle, I'm on a killer like Nurse where strong setups don't matter. I think a lot of players are kind of lost when it comes to chase skills. Half the tiles in the game are 50/50s.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,883

I am not an "Eruption Apologist" by any means (it's miserable to face in solo queue, and needs heavy tweaking for sure), but to even insinuate that that it's the most busted perk ever is a case study in recency bias. It's laughable.

I won't name others because they have already been named multiple times in this thread, but Eruption wouldn't crack my top 10 (maybe even top 15) most infuriatingly busted perks ever. DBD's history is loaded with perks that were disgustingly broken for periods of time (sometimes years). Eruption is just the latest flavor of the month.

As for the 3 gen angle to the argument, as has been said 90%+ of the time a lockdown three gen is a bed the survs had made for themselves; Eruption just pulls the blankets a little tighter when the killer makes them lie in it. You're not entitled to a mulligan on your poor play.

• What do you do when a killer is forcing a 3 gen by camping a specific part of the map and not leaving it? If you commit to the 3 gen early enough, you're still at 3-4-5 gens left and you're giving free downs/hook states. If you do the gens, then you're stuck with a 3 gen. I feel like all the people that keep saying "well 3 gen is something you do to yourself" have never played against an actual sweaty killer in high MMR. There's a big difference between 3 genning yourself and dealing with a forced 3 gen.

• StarLost

They are just stalling the game out deliberately to try to hit the timer? You record and report, because it's taking the game hostage. Much as when the last two survivors use the item drop trick to avoid AFK crows and stall the game out by hiding in lockers forever.

Plenty of people have already explained it to you in this thread - most of the time, a 3gen is self inflicted. If a killer is creating a hostage situation, that's another issue - and not one related to balance.

This can be done with a variety of perks, depending on what killer you're playing.

This isn't Boil Over, where the perk itself allows you to troll games. It's just an unfortunate abuse of game mechanics.

• Taking the game hostage is taking an action that is deliberately preventing the game from advancing in a way that's not defending an objective (aka bodyblocking last person alive in a corner). Camping a 3-gen is a valid strategy, that doesn't ACTIVELY prevent the game from advancing, and is an optimal strategy to protect the objective while the survivors still have a chance to do it. It's idiotic to claim, or even assume, that 3-genning is a bannable offense. By that rationale, using reg perks is bannable because it stalls the game and takes the game hostage.

• SmolBlob
    SmolBlob Member Posts: 399

You sweet summer child.

Old Mettle worked on every 2 basic attacks instead of protection hits.

Old BT worked on the unhooker too, putting killer into lose-lose.

Old DS worked starting from first down, didn’t even need to be unhooked.

Old Balanced literally was responsible for infinites.

Old Sprint Burst had a 20s cooldown. Yes, cooldown. Exhaustion didn’t exist at the time. Which meant yes, it did go down while running.

We’ll Make It used to work on self-healing and could stack up to 3 times for +300% speed.

Initial Unrelenting + STBFL meant basically no cooldown on attacks whatsoever.

Old Tinkerer sped up killer powers, making for absolutely stupid busted cases.

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,932

Eruption is carrying killers at this point. I don't know why it's been allowed to stay in its current state for this long. It's busted and needs to be changed quickly. I'm seeing it in almost all of my games I've played today.

• StarLost
    edited December 2022

You'll have to look through the recent Red posts (the old forums had a way to view dev posts, but I can't find it on the new ones - Peanits, if I recall), but they confirmed that staking out a 3gen and not leaving it, or killing anyone to basically force the timer to run out can definitely count as taking the game hostage - pretty recently at that. Because there's no way for the survivors to end it without DCing.

I know you have a personal axe to grind here, but there is a difference between the survivors 3genning themselves and the killer abusing game mechanics to stall things out indefinitely by never leaving or chasing, and instead just holding those gens.

If someone does this, and it's not just a situation of a team 3genning themselves, record and report.

If it's a killer doing this tactically to win, you'll either need to bum rush the 3gen (I literally just won a game in solo queue where a Pyramid Head tried this, and eventually we wore him down) or coordinate with your teammates. If it keeps happening to you, run Potential Energy.

We can't rebalance the entire game because of what is basically an exploit any more than we can do this around solo queue.

• bunnyfengenthusiast
    bunnyfengenthusiast Member Posts: 471
    edited December 2022

I'm gonna need to see a post by a dev that specifically states that holding a 3-gen is bannable, because that's literally the most common killer strategy at high MMR, and even in tournaments. Survivors are still able to actively progress towards the endgame by working on gens in a 3-gen, meaning the game is, by definition, not held hostage since the other team can make progress. If it's two people left and you're holding a 3-gen, then it's a different scenario.

EDIT: also, abusing game mechanics sounds an awful lot like tunneling (abusing the mechanic that allows a person to die early and leave the other 3 in a near impossible to win situation) and camping (abusing the mechanic that allows killer to wait out someone's hook timer and force a kill).

• StarLost

We aren't talking about 'holding a 3 gen', because that's just tactical and 99% of the time the survivors set themselves up for it. This is a situation with multiple possible counters - bait the killer off, use perks, bum rush etc.

We're talking about staking out a 3gen from the start and never leave it, or actively chasing anyone. Just stalling things out. That's a situation where there is basically no solution - the example Peanits gave was of a Doctor using shocks to do this.

Also - that's such a hilarious false equivalency that I'm honestly not sure if you're being serious or if I'm being baited again. We aren't talking about being cheesy or being tactical. We're talking about holding games hostage.

• 99% of the time the survivors set themselves up for it

This is how I know you're in low MMR, or you have no idea what you're talking about. A killer pressuring an area and forcing the survivors to go work on different gens while protecting a 3-gen isn't "a survivor setting themselves up for it". It's a killer pushing people off their 3-gen.

bait the killer off

Killers holding a 3-gen won't leave it is the point of a 3-gen.

use perks

Potential Energy loses all stacks when hit and needs to be set up on a gen before being used (not to mention being only 20% per person), and Prove still needs a time commitment.

bum rush

This is how you get downed, forcing an Eruption proc and giving killer a hook in 3-gen.

We're talking about staking out a 3gen from the start and never leave it, or actively chasing anyone. Just stalling things out. That's a situation where there is basically no solution - the example Peanits gave was of a Doctor using shocks to do this.

So you're moving goalposts. This whole thread has been about discussing Eruption, and its potential at holding a 3-gen. No one holds a 3-gen while ignoring survivors entirely, and doing so is throwing.

Also - that's such a hilarious false equivalency that I'm honestly not sure if you're being serious or if I'm being baited again. We aren't talking about being cheesy or being tactical. We're talking about holding games hostage.

No, YOU'RE talking about holding games hostage. We're talking about Eruption and how absurd it makes the already absurd and stale 3-gen strat.

• StarLost

Sigh. Nice little ad hom - but I'm talking not only about my own likely intermediate MMR, but watching a variety of streams and videos of higher MMR players, such as JRM, Otz, Ayrun and the CC. They get 3genned sometimes, and they generally bust it pretty fast.

But what the hell, let's try again. Going point by point.

• Shrug. If he's simply not leaving the area, see what I said earlier. Otherwise...honestly, same.
    • To repeat: if he's staking out a 3gen at the start of the match and literally not leaving the 3gen, chasing etc. then it's a hostage situation. He's not playing the game, he's stalling it out. If he is chasing, then you can have one person leading them off, giving other openings to coordinate and force down gens.
    • If you're getting chased and then downed, then he's not guarding that 3gen.
    • PE requires having a SWF, so you have teammates to run interference. PE is the answer to the 3gens. And this game cannot be balanced around solo queue.
    • Bum rush doesn't mean suicide run. And in this case, everyone can clearly see you and can release. Escalate pressure from multiple angles and over multiple gens.
    • You seem to have discovered a mysterious killer that's simultaneously never leaving a 3gen and chasing people to down them, which is a pretty damn impressive feat. I don't think even Twins can pull this off.
    • No, this thread - if you want to be pedantic - is about how Eruption is literally the most broken perk in the history of the entire game, which people have already explained to you over multiple pages is provably false.
    • Is Eruption a bit much at present? Sure. But let's get real here - if they give it a slight nerf, and make it work on hooking instead of downing, it won't put a dent in this little wall of QQ. So they nerf it to uselessness as per Thana and Ruin, and the forum QQ train just moves onto the next killer perk they lost to. Because that's what always happens.
    • I'm tempted to say - let's give Eruption the damn Dead Hard treatment! Give people a few years to play around it and figure it out, then maybe nerf it. Slightly.
    • Or, rather than making these ridiculously hyperbolic QQ threads, we suggest ways of making the perk a bit easier to counter while keeping it viable. Except we both know - that's not the goal here, is it?
  • Brandon48
    Brandon48 Member Posts: 136

Couldn’t agree more. Now it’s just the waiting game till it’s changed, if it’s even going to be changed? Kinda sucks though cuz it takes out a lot of fun playing dbd atm.

• For someone smugly calling a thread discussing a busted perk a "QQ thread", it's ironic you would claim ad hominem about the comments on your demonstrated lack of context but I digress.

Do you genuinely believe that if I'm proxy camping a 3 gen, that I'm doing something bannable? Because if so, you are SORELY mistaken my man.

• StarLost

If you're not making an effort to chase and just stalling, then yes - it's bannable. If you are chasing and downing people, then it's not, and then there is room for counterplay.

And yes, it's a QQ thread. There's nothing constructive at all.

Your title was basically 'eruption is the most OP perk ever in the game' and claiming. You make no effort to suggest how to fix things, or how to balance the perk - you straight up say that you want it completely destroyed and made non-viable.

That's not feedback. That's 'rarr this thing makes me angry so I want it destroyed completely'.

• I wonder how disconnected your mind must be to think that pressuring an area and chasing are two independent actions that happen in sectioned off bubbles.

The constructive part was the breakdown of the mechanical function of Eruption as compared to perks that are similar and an explanation on how Eruption is far superior. I'm not providing a suggestion, as this thread is under general discussions, not feedback and suggestions.

I'd love to play against you and three of your buddies while I'm running Eruption so I can slap the smug out of you.

• StarLost

Shrug. Once everyone gets back in and 2023 is properly underway, I'll happily hold you to that - I'm sure I can find a few 2000 hour folks who'd even be happy to upload the video after.

EDIT: As I'm typing this, I've got 2 already who'd be keen. NA, right?

You can all decide on the killer and the map at the time.

There was no 'constructive' part of that post mate. It was hyperbole, exaggeration, false claims and then a demand to completely gut the perk...basically because you have a vendetta here. You lost to something, got annoyed and now want to...I guess punish people for using it? And yes, you did give both 'feedback' and 'suggestions', especially this part:

"Eruption needs to be nerfed into the ground"

Again - vendetta. You aren't looking to reign an overpowered perk in while keeping it viable, you're looking to take something nice away from people because you have a chip on your shoulder.

And no, 'pressuring an area' isn't camping a 3gen. For the...fourth time now - if they are sitting there and not chasing anyone, then that's a hostage game. If they are chasing, then you can bust the 3gen.

• C3Tooth
    edited December 2022

Incap should be gone, completely. Pain res denies 1 Gen for 45sec, requires 2 perks and already considered strong.

its almost impossible to not see 1 perk has potential to deny 120sec for Solo and not even able to heal, to call its a fine perk because it only deny 27sec for 5% of 4men Swf.

Locking Gen for 25sec instead of Incap may closer the gaps between Solo and Swf. And still give Solo time to heal.

To call killers should be balanced around 5% 4men swf, the survivors should be balanced around that top 5% Nurse.

• Aye, NA.

What part of my post was hyperbole? Am I wrong that Deadlock locks a single gen for 30 seconds, whereas Eruption inflicts incapacitated for 25 seconds on every person working on an Erupted gen? Am I wrong that every erupted gen loses 10% progress, as opposed to the 15% from Pain Res on one gen? Am I wrong that the gen continues to tick down while you're helplessly staring at it, unable to heal or do anything productive?

And yeah, I have a vendetta. I'm tired of going up against Eruption every game I decide to play as survivor, against killers sitting in comfy 3-gens, trying their absolute hardest to tunnel someone out early, or at least camp them in the safety of their 3-gen. I'm tired of having to dodge using this perk because of how brainless it makes any killer game I decide to use it on. But that's not what this discussion is about.

Eruption isn't just something "nice". Something nice is Pain Res. It's a balanced perk, with counterplay, that rewards a killer for a down with a hook, and can be anticipated and counterplayed (the info aspect of it, at least) by getting off a gen right before a hook, which is visible to all players in the game, unless inflicted by Blindness. Eruption is simply far too powerful, mathematically and practically.

You keep making this false dichotomy where a killer is either in chase or pressuring a 3-gen. That's not how this game works, at all. Besides, assuming an area is deadzoned enough, a killer can secure a hit within 10 seconds of pressuring someone off a gen, go back to kick it, and still hold pressure over the rest of the 3-gen with little effort.

• StarLost
    edited December 2022

Okay. I'll set it up next month sometime, and we can settle this one properly. You're going to stick to a 3gen strat with Eruption and we're going to bust the 3gen. Will be me (intermediate survivor) and 3 other chaps (highly experienced to expert, one plays some comp on occasion). Already got a plan.

Hyperbole? Sure.

• 'It's the most busted perk ever added to the game', while other people explained that stuff like BT, MOM, BO, DS, BL, OoO etc. were way stronger, and literally had no counterplay.
    • 'It has no counterplay'. It absolutely has counterplay, just go and watch some of the community cup games where killers got pantsed, even though they were running Eruption. The counterplay is - calling out when you're going down, so people can release their gens. Or run something like Empathy and try to anticipate it. Yes, it's tough for solo queue, but again - this game cannot be balanced around solo queue. The best BHVR can do is give solos some extra tools to communicate.
    • 'Eruption is an automatic win'. See, again, the community cup. Killers slugged, camped, tunneled, ran Eruption - and aside from on extremely killer sided maps like Midwich (even then...) killers had a hell of an uphill struggle. And that was with extremely tight controls on what survivors could bring.
    • 'I face a dedicated 3gen Eruption strat every game'. Bull. I've seen this happen...maybe twice over my last close to 70 survivor matches, and I see it at about the same rate catching up on Otz and JRMs streams.

Let's throw in a little bit of ye olde 'us versus them' nonsense:

• 'The game's rhythm is in the agency of the killer' - complete nonsense. Again, go watch some of the community cup games. Survivors set the tempo of the game, the killer role is reactive for the majority of a match.

This discussion is absolutely about you having an admitted vendetta, because that means you *cannot be objective* about this, and are only looking to tear something down rather than fix it.

And you sort of proved my earlier point. PR is balanced, by your own statement. And yet, PR was the subject of a ton of QQ threads when it was meta. Because that is the pattern. Whatever the killer meta is, at any point in time, will be complained about.

You keep using this word - 'pressuring' and I'm not sure what you mean. They are either staking out a 3gen early and not leaving, or they are roaming and chasing while trying to preserve that 3gen. In this case, it is on the survivors to identify it and break it preemptively. It's not a false dichotomy, it's a true dichotomy. If it's a 3gen strat, it's one of these two.

If they're just getting a hit then going back to the 3gen, and not making any effort to get downs - that probably constitutes the exact situation Peanits was describing, so report it. They aren't making any effort to win, they are trying to stalemate the game and force survivors to DC or run down the timer.