Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Drastically rising amount of disconnects and self-killing is making me loose love for this game

willymancer69
willymancer69 Member Posts: 25
edited December 2022 in Feedback and Suggestions

Hi!

Apologies if I am putting this in the wrong place-- I created a forum account today after 4 years of playing the game to make this post because I'm at my wits end.

For reference, by self-kill I mean the survivor kills themselves on hook from 0 hooks to dead from one hooking event OR, upon someone being able to unhook them fast enough so they can't kill themselves, the unhooked player runs at the killer to be downed and then killed.

Today, the number of rage DCs and self-killing is staggering. A year ago, a DC was rare and even then survivors and killers alike would feel bad about a DC, that they'd mutually farm for the remainder of the game. I'm not saying that was good or bad, but speaking to the rarity of the situation and mutual feeling of knowing rage DCs is a bad practice.

In the past day, only 2/10 games I solo queued for had no one rage DC or self-kill. DCs happen usually upon first down in the early game or right before death on second hook. The first situation is much more punishing. In response to this, someone usually self kills or DCs in short succession.

Please create heavier punishments for DCs past a grace 1 DC, or, tie it to a different punishment if it happens after a certain event (ex. A down). Additionally, please try to find a mechanism to either punish players for self -killing (0 hooks to death) or lower the punishment for the survivors that stay (bloodpoint and rank tick/pips specifically). A nice solution would be 0 de-pips if a player DCs your game regardless of what follows.

In either case, please, please do something. It's gotten so bad these past few updates that my friends and I are considering leaving after many happy years here. The DCs and self-kills have made the game incredibly not fun to play.

Thank you for your time reading this,

Mads

Post edited by entertainment720 on

Comments

• willymancer69

Then please don't play this game. If you do not have the patience or fortitude to follow basic team etiquette, this is not the game for you.

You're not the only person looking to relax or have fun. You immediately screw over 3 other people's game if you DC or self-kill.

I highly disagree; this game shouldn't be won at a 50/50 chance; this game is much more complex than that. It is a skill game, and folks should understand that.

• xfireturtlex
    xfireturtlex Member Posts: 419

They should absolutely increase DC penalties and get rid of the hook quit option. We ALL have bad matches, but if you're someone that DCs the second you don't get your way, I got no sympathy for you.

Yeah, they should also do things to mitigate some of the worst playstyles/aspects of the game. However, at the end of the day if you're DCing or quitting on a regular basis....you ARE the problem. Please stop ruining the game because you never learned how to handle adversity.

• Hannacia
    Hannacia Member Posts: 1,280
    edited December 2022

Please play stardew valley or something if you want to relax and chill. When one person gives up just because they get downed or the killer isnt someone they wanted you ruin the game for 3 other survivors. Even for the killer in some sense.

Many killers just want to get the game over with after the first ragequitter so they just kill the remaining 3 as fast as possible, making the survivors think the killer is being sweaty. No we just want to move along. Not everyone likes farming.

When first person ragequits for whatever reason, survivors give up. If there is 5-4 gens left there is absolutely no point to continue and prolong the game. So i personally go to the killer and ask to be let out.

Play the game. Lose or win. Dont just babyrage and DC or first hook #########. If you want to relax. I really do recommend stardew valley. Excellent game and can be multiplayer as well!

Also whoever is supporting and saying survivors DCing is valid due to camping and tunneling and because or eruption... I have no words for you.. Stop supporting this bad behaviour.

You don't know how the game is going to go and if the killer is going to tunnel and camp if you babyrage quit in 15 seconds of the game! Thats just you being entitled.

• Renfear
    Renfear Member Posts: 137

I don't think it's a problem. Like someone said early, this is a skill based game. If you don't have the skill to be in a particular match, you leave, instead of wasting your time. People who complain about DCs are really saying that they can't win without other people to help do the heavy lifting, i.e. it's really a lack of skill on their part. Be good enough to 1v1 a killer. That's what hatch is for.

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,210
    edited December 2022

How do other asymmetrical multiplayer games deal with this problem?

Imo you can't "fix" the players, people will DC for any reason. The penalty system was a good start, def keep that.

Just not for the remaining players in the game. Are bots still planned to fill the gap?

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

So... if i read this right, then suvivors dc/suicide because they don´t get tunneled or camped? But instead have to wait occasionally 25 seconds?

• Nirgendwohin
    Nirgendwohin Member Posts: 1,251

Ask yourself the question what is fun in this game and how the current plans of the dev currently look like.

personally i think the decision makers at bhvr don't know what makes their game fun. therefore one wrong decision is made after the other.

this shows up when playing, when the players ask themselves why am i still playing? the disconnects are the result of it.

the survey alone is so long that half of my friends gave up in the middle because they didn't feel like it anymore.

• Nirgendwohin
    Nirgendwohin Member Posts: 1,251

up to a certain level it is skill based, beyond that the map rng determines the outcome of the game.

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638

If you are loosing love, try tightening it.

• Tsulan

Not enjoying the game seems to be part of the normal play circle. Basically everyone takes a break from DbD from time to time. So if the people don´t enjoy playing the game, then they should just take a break instead of ruining the game experience for everyone else by disconnecting/suiciding.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,152

Hahaha i was thinking about answering with the exact same recommendation for a relaxing game 😁

• burt0r
    edited December 2022

The root issues are a weak spine to tough through pvp games and the missing balls to simply quit a game and switch to anotherjf it isn't 100% to their liking.

Pvp games never are or were games to chill and relax.

I would never start a round of R6S, lol or valorant with the intent to chill and relax because me being absentminded and unfocused would lose my team the game.

And unlike a whole lot of people i still feel a kind of obligation towards the team when queuing up for such games. Sadly that makes me part of the minority and a dying breed.

• burt0r

Ehm, this being a game with the concept of 1vs4, it should be basicly impossible to 1v1 the killer indefinitely, aside from a matchmaking mismatch, so your whole point is "hope the killer is worse than you and matchmaking bored them".

• burt0r

They die. (The games i mean)

Afaik DBD is the ONLY asymmetrical pvp game that has managed to survive for a longer period of time.

• burt0r
    edited December 2022

Maybe don't fixate so much on your "tunnel at 5gens" scenario.

I as a friendly killer had my fair share of people DCing simply upon getting downed first and faster than they liked. No tunneling, no camping and no slugging but often the instant DC. And don't get me started about times when penalties were off.

And no you arent captives but when you hit ready you say that you are ready to play this game with 4 other people knowing that you can get any of the ~30 killer on any of the however many maps. You KNOW what could come and don't get to cherry pick, neither the opponent nor the map nor how the first minute of the match goes.

IF you have a problem with that and want to leave to the detriment of the 4 other players that now can no longer play in any normal gameplay loop: DONT QUEUE UP IN THE FIRST PLACE.

That's what responsible people do.

Edit: And i am not.talking about you specifically, matriosity, but in general in any team pvp game without refill.

• SluggedSurvivor
    SluggedSurvivor Member Posts: 51

Improvements to the solo experience would probably alleviate “some” of the dc/suicides.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,853

Don't get me wrong, I do understand the frustration as a solo queue only (these days) veteran I suffer the consequences of DC's a lot myself.

But I also play a lot of killer and I very rarely if ever have DC's and I think it is no coincidence that I never tunnel off hook, I don't camp and I don't run horribly broken and unfun builds. My main killer was Nurse too but I can honestly say I have never even used Starstruck on her and I never slug at 5 gens etc.

Sure I have had people DC literally the second they hear Nurse, or for no apparent reason with another killer. But the problem is only worsened by people who decide to play killer in the most unpleasant way in a game where your opponents cannot retaliate with a headshot or an outplay if you decide to tunnel them out etc

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775
  • Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,432

PVP games can absolutely be chill and relaxing. I literally play DBD because I find it relaxing. As Survivor I don't care about escaping, and as killer I don't care about 4king. I focus on building my skill - everything else will follow. It's probably why in the 2 years I've been playing, I've only ever DCd twice. Once when my old headphones went on the fritz and once when the killer and survivors started trolling me because I didn't want to farm. IMO more players in this community need to play more chill. We aren't the ones DCing. It's the competitive lot who rage quit.

• MrsGhostface
    MrsGhostface Member Posts: 987

The game is in a bad state for survivors. That’s why this is happening more than usual. Nothing more to it really

• Rudjohns
    Rudjohns Member Posts: 1,983

The amount of tunnels and campings are killing my love for this game

• versacefeng
    versacefeng Member Posts: 1,133

Obviously it’s a combination of all the aspects that make survivor unbearable. Please use your common sense.

• SluggedSurvivor
    SluggedSurvivor Member Posts: 51

Yeah the worst state it has been for solo, at least in my personal experience. I think that’s a huge reason for the uptick in dc’s.

• illumina
    illumina Member Posts: 73

I would say the blame goes to the devs on how the game is designed. If a killer wants to go sweaty and start tunneling right at 4-5 gens then they do what they want to do. I will easily take the penalty if a killer does this at 4-5 gens or slugs. Survivors are trying to win as well, if we are in solo's and the match starts that way, it drastically changes how the match will go. There is a big gap in winning percentage from 4v1 and 3v1. So, why would I give you hooks/kills when you decided to make it drastically difficult for survivors to win? As long as these strats exist, we should have a give up option so that way we can move on to the next, hopefully promising, match.

• lagosta
    lagosta Member Posts: 1,871

Changes are coming. Ppl ######### talk the devs a lot but they listen, it might just take time.

In the meantime, equip perks that rely on your teammates' death. My suggestion is Sole Survivor to open the gates faster.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,371

People keep bringing up "tunneled at 5 gens left" but frankly if 5 gens are still left when you get tunneled out of the game, the survivors played badly.

Also if you want to dc anytime a killer decides they want to kill someone, you are only rewarding the killer for playing in the way you don't like.

• egg_
    egg_ Member Posts: 1,933

> load into match

> didn't notice marys letter during loading screen (game wouldve inexplicably crashed otherwise)

>its nurse

• Tsulan

My common sense tells me, that survivors biggest enemy right now, are other survivors.

• burt0r
    edited December 2022

Sorry but not sorry.

I have only once ever intentionally ragequit in any of my pvp games and that was here in DBD because a group of survivor blatantly abused a fat shaming spot right into my face.

Other than that i have never rage quit neither DBD, rocket league, R6S, lol nor overwatch no matter how boosted my teammates behaved, i got spawn killed (R6S) or how much they fed the enemy team.

I always dug through a bad game because for me it has something to do with decency in those games to finish what you signed up for and anything else, outside of real life issue, is a weak mentality. Either pull through to the end or don't try at all.

I hate ragequitter as much as cheater, maybe even more since the former vastly outnumbers the latter.

• Pink_Ronin
    Pink_Ronin Member Posts: 118

I only play solo survivor and there are 2 scenarios I will DC:

If a Nurse has starstruck I leave immediately and I encourage everyone to do the same. Ideally I would like to make that combo unplayable by having everyone collectively refuse to play against it.

Also if a killer slugs me and leaves me there to hunt down my last teammate for the 4k I will DC to give them hatch.

• Pulsar

Well, you're just weird then.

I leave QP OW games all the time. I hope around Arcade games. When I played Siege me and the boys would just dick around in casual and then leave.

I guess we're weak minded idk it was fun tho

• Pulsar

Congrats. You figured it out. Most players are bad.

Unfortunately, the skill level required to make tunneling ineffective is much higher than the skill level required to tunnel.

• entertainment720
    entertainment720 Member Posts: 246

First let me say hello and welcome to the forums!

I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on this. I understand your frustration around player quitting.

The DC penalty is kept small at the beginning as things do happen (such as an emergency). And with the penalties stacking, it's intended to give appropriate consequences with recurring behavior.

I'm afraid someone dying on the hook is near impossible to monitor, given factors such as missing skill checks, failing the 4% attempt, etc.

That said, we value your feedback and will continue to monitor things such as DCs and how they are affecting gameplay.

• willymancer69

This is a really smart idea; League does something like this. In League, people who DC, AFK, or self-kill go to lobbies with similar people until they do X number of games.

To the responses of "lets address the root cause", that's a much more complex and nuanced fix than a more short-term, robust solution of curbing etiquette. There will always be people that DC or self-kill, but the numbers are too high. Those people are ruining this game for the rest of us at the current numbers.. most games would never let it get this bad. Please address it, Behavior. Rooting for you

• willymancer69

As someone who has played this game for 3 years now (and not trying to make an excuse for them), its been way, way worse. They did a lot to curb the original frequency of tunneling and camping. Haste and endurance off hook; new perks specifically for this (Off the Record, etc).

Now we need this attention to self-killing to bring it to "normal" numbers.

• willymancer69

As an other commenter said, this isn't a 1v1 game. The game is balanced for starting at 1v4. If this is your understanding, please refresh with the game's wiki for the basic objectives.

• SmolBlob
    SmolBlob Member Posts: 399

It’s hilarious how willing people are to tell on themselves about their immaturity and entitlement.

• burt0r

Good job missing my point about pvp games without refill, which is part of sieges normal queue for example and yes, if i were a random with you and your buddies dicking around i would hate you just as much. Just like my group hated every individual ragequitter.

A whole friend group is hardly subject of this discussion and therefore a mute point but go on. I was talking about individual ragequitter and not team wide decisions like leagues surrender majority vote.

• SmolBlob

Only in a community as immature and entitled as this can you find people unironically defending a loophole to ragequit without getting the penalty for quitting.

• willymancer69
    edited December 2022

Respectfully, I think there is a way to flag self-killing, airing on the side of false negatives, too. The "trigger" could be several events in short succession ( oversimplified ex. on first hook, going from hooked to dead due to player actions on hook in 30s and within the first 3 minutes of the game).

There has so be some solution beyond simply "its not possible". That feels so discouraging to hear, given other games have solutions because this is a known player behavior

• SmolBlob

Or just not having a way to self-kill in the first place.