The problem isn’t skull merchant

Phasmamain
Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

So with merchant’s release there’s been a lot of discourse over her ability to camp a 3 gen. This similarly happened with knight (I’m sure you’ve all seen the hens video)

But I feel like a lot of people are placing the blame on the wrong thing. The number 1 cause of this issue is not these killers but the current gen kick meta. Fact is without overcharge, CoB Jolt and PR this strategy wouldn’t really work. CoB and overcharge are solely designed for defending a 3 gen which is not something a perk should be designed around

Once the meta shake up was released we began to see complaints of killers camping 3 gens from the start of the match giving survivors no room to counteract it. These perks incentivise kicking the same gens repeatedly while not interacting with the survivors which was not true of the other metas.

These killers definitely aren’t engaging to play against but this is more an issue with current regression meta than the Killer’s designs. By creating a more engaging regression meta I guarantee this strategy would become rarer than a twins main

Comments

• Phasmamain

But in that case isn’t knight the way worse offender? Obviously both are effective at it but knight is way worse. Hell even plague is better at it

Fact is any killer can 3 gen due to the strength of these perks. Killers like trapper and hag also excel at this (Trappers main strategy is either camping the basement or a 3 gen)

• Phasmamain

Just curious but what builds were the merchants running? Again perks like CoB, Overcharge and jolt heavily incentivise just camping a 3 gen since that’s literally what they excel at

The same kinda applies to merchant but without these perks it would be reasonable to counter her set up. The insane free regression combined with drones is what makes it an issue

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,063

No, the problem is with the killers, because both of them have abilities that prevent a survivor from returning to the gen immediately. This in turn means that the supercharged regression is basically guaranteed to eat a chunk off the gen.

You can counter COB + Overcharge by being quick to run back and tap the gen. It's not nearly as much a problem on other killers, and going after those perks would be a terrible idea given the general lack of viable alternatives at the moment.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,707

I think it’s a problem with both.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

So if they didn't do the 6.1.0 would it be any different?

• TigerSnake
    TigerSnake Member Posts: 531

So you want every good regression perk to get nerfed and make every killer especially the weak ones suffer immensely? Hell to ######### no! Call of Brine and Overcharge are fine perks which are very much needed for other killers besides Skull Merchant to stand a chance. Take them away, and killer will be in a very abysmal state with no good perks period, for 3 gens or not.

• Phasmamain

What killer actually needs either? If anything PR and jolt are better for general gameplay assuming you’re not going in with the intention of camping a 3 gen

• Phasmamain

It’s definitely boring no doubt (like literally every other killer camping a 3 gen) but without the insane free consistent regression from CoB and eruption it wouldn’t really be possible (Unless the 3 gen was super tight like haddonfield but again any killer can do that

• TigerSnake

People that need to kick gens especially without overcommitting to one chase to get a down for their perks. Base regression and base 2.5 damage suck, so people want good perks that increase those, and of course, Pop is mediocre, so that’s not an option either.

• BenOfMilam
    BenOfMilam Member Posts: 911
    edited March 2023

Strong slowdown:

Pain Res, Corrupt Intervention, Deadlock, No Way Out

Decent slowdown:

Git of Pain, Jolt, Dead Man's Switch, Eruption, Plaything + Pentimento, Ruin, Pop Goes the Weasel

Viable but low-tier slowdown:

Coulrophobia, Sloppy Butcher, Thrill of the Hunt in a totem build, Oppression + Surveillance on a mobility killer

You have many strong options that aren't CoB or Overcharge. Stop being overdramatic.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

Cool... so we can start asking for reversions???

Cause I think that if they backtracked on some of the changes it would be better in the long run

• BenOfMilam
    edited March 2023

It's extremely strong for slugging, and is decent for general slowdown. Seriously, try it out.

Survivors pretty much can't pick up survivors in your TR unless they are 99.9%'d with Unbreakable.

It's viable in it's niche, it's just not a perk you see most run.

Post edited by EQWashu on
  • Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,952

This is why I run Deja Vu as Survivor.

• TigerSnake
    edited March 2023

Well, if you don’t, especially with weak killers, you lose.

• Phasmamain

Definitely should. I’d take old ruin and pop over this anyday

• Phasmamain
  • Emeal
  • BenOfMilam
    edited March 2023

Go watch some of the literal thousands upon thousands of videos people have made where they win while using bad perks or even straight up no perks. Not even against bad survivors, against strong survivors on strong maps.

Try playing without perks for a few games and see how well you do. The difference is not that big in most cases if you are playing sweaty and trying to win. In pub matches, you can just kind of do whatever and win most of your games if you know your killer.

Comp is the only time that you need meta and skill to win. Most of the time you can do fine with just skill.

• Phasmamain

Potential energy has some use but can’t win the war of attrition against Cob Overcharge reliably

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,501

Hmm i don't know if i particularly agree with all of this take. I just reached a 40 4k streak on spirit (first to admit even with that im not the best). I did experiment with jolt and PR but at my mmr at least people know to move away from the gens in chase or power through jolts regression and the people on them hop off once pr is guaranteed to happen. And of course make a mental note of which hooks have been shown to be PR hooks. As well as items being on the increase like medkits and toolboxes removing some of the regression quicker or making you securing a down more difficult. Survivors can keep a constant pressure with low downtime with the right setup. Not to say PR and Jolt aren't bad but they can be a lot easier countered and played around than perks that are entirely in your control to kick and return and always able to be applied. I also like that i can kick a gen then get a nearby survivor and hook them, that keeps a constant pressure while the gens also being ticked down with 275-400% regression (sometimes gens gone to 0% with these two). I assume Jolt and PR can be worse for m1 killers since they don't even have the catchup midchase spirit does as the survivor can really stall if they have the resources and knowledge, i don't know if jolt and pr have the reward.

(These are just findings of my playing, this is not a full fact of course as everyones games are different. So feel free to inform me of your findings)!

• BenOfMilam

"perk is slightly nerfed, therefore it is completely unusable garbage trash"

Try running Ruin or Pop for a few games. They are still decently strong. Ruin more so, Pop less so.

I find that Ruin is great since you can be more efficient with your time instead of stopping to kick gens all the time. Lets you tie up more chases earlier in the game, putting exponential pressure on the survivors since you are chaining downs AND the gens are regressing for free.

Pop is more questionable, but I've seen a lot of the best killers in the game run it in high stakes games and come out on top.

• Emeal

Well I dont use those perks so I would not know. Whats does that combo give?

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167

Basically makes gens regress super fast the moment they are kicked

And you can't just gen tap to counter it because the Overcharge skillcheck is there, adding more risk for the survivor

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,436
    edited March 2023

The problem is a combination and not limited to Skull Merchant as there are many Killers whose only viable options against similarly skilled survivors are 3 genning and/or camping and tunneling. I don't think they're necessary if the Killer has played long enough they regularly get less-skilled survivors but, if their skill is on an equal footing, game mechanics favor survivors over the weaker Killers.

For people learning who will quite often get equally skilled survivors or survivors of greater skill their only chance with many Killers is to 3 gen and/or tunnel and camp. I'm newer than a lot of forum posters as I have about a year and a half in the game but that's just how it is. Survivors gloating and teabagging doesn't help the situation either.

If any game mechanics are introduced that directly counter 3 genning (which I don't care about) and/or camping and tunneling (which I hope gets nerfed to the ground) they have to be accompanied by buffs to the weaker Killers so players don't lose at the character selection screen.

I think either reverting the nerf to Ruin or eliminating the hex aspect and restoring Pop to its old glory would be a great option.

• I_CAME
    I_CAME Member Posts: 1,238

Because it’s being abused to a ridiculous degree. These thirty minute attrition games are not it. I really don’t understand how people can defend it. It’s not even rare anymore. Games like this are very common now and are frankly a waste of time. I personally have other things to do and don’t have time to sit in multiple 30+ minute matches every day. That’s why you see so many people just give up against killers who hard commit to a three gen.

• TigerSnake

There’s no way to eliminate 3 gen strats without severely tilting the game into the survivors favor. That leaves us with either.

-Stop designing trash can killers who are only good at defending gens.

-Nerfing CoB and Overcharge.

No one would be upset about the 1st option occurring, but the 2nd one’s a problem because assuming nothing else is added as compensation, killer will be left in a very miserable state as there’ll no good perks left for controlling gens, making playing for hooks and playing M1 killer’s completely unviable.

• Anti051
    Anti051 Member Posts: 617

Actually the problem is entirely the skull merchant,

I mean what exactly does anybody expect when she has no chase power and only detection/territory threat?

If you leave your triangle to go on an M1 chase, you're screwed because of how safe maps are against M1 killers.

She has to be able to do something real in-chase and being a master at Em-Wun Fu isn't going to cut it.

For real, Deja Vu is an anti 3-gen perk.

• TigerSnake
    edited March 2023

Interesting, weren’t you the one that insisted Eruption was the problem and that “CoB and Overcharge aren’t in the same stratosphere as problematic design because they don’t give them all their time back with 0 counterplay”?

• Phasmamain

Pop isn’t necessarily bad but is laughably outclassed by Pain resonance. 15% total is better than 20% current in most cases and you don’t even have to kick the gen (Plus it’s synergy with Dead man’s switch)

• BenOfMilam

Yeah, I agree. Pop isn't bad, there's just a lot of better options.

I do think it's weird that people don't run it with CoB/Overcharge tho. It has decent synergy with them.

• KSzerker
    KSzerker Member Posts: 191
    edited March 2023

It takes awhile for CoB+OC to do anything meaningful. So unless the killer sits there staring (in which case you have free rein on the other gens), just tap it when they leave. Literally sit on gen until the killer comes, then run away. Killer wastes time kicking the gen. If the killer continues chasing, you've got a massive head start, if not you just go back and tap the gen. This strat relies entirely on survivors being scared of the killer for some reason and hiding instead of doing gens.

Skull Merchant's drones are terrible. It doesn't slow repair speed, so the only reason to kill the drone is to avoid exposed, but that doesn't matter if you run DH. The killer knowing where you are is irrelevant because there's 4 survivors and no killer can pressure everyone all at once.

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,932

Then the devs need to buff those killers. Gen perks shouldn't stack in my opinion.

• Emeal

In response to @Phasmamain, @Brokenbones

Okay so I just tried holding down 3 gens. So I was on a new map and the survivors landed 3 Dead Hard before I got my first hook. So I was like well fug that, so I started patrolling gens, kicking (without any gen reduction perks), sooner or later all the pallets on one side of the map was gone and they were picked out slowly one after one.

It was surprisingly easy, the Survivor team didnt know what to do for sure, idk if bHVR can tell us what they were supposed to do.

But I ended up with a 3K.

Itsreally powerful, but really boring for me, then again getting DeadHardDenied is also boring, so it was either plague or cholera.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167

Thanks for taking the time to try it for yourself, I appreciate that a lot

It really is just a war of attrition if you play like this.

• Emeal

bHVR should put SOMETHING in the Survivor HUD that helps with dealing with 3Gens.

Something that informs the other survivors of whats happening.

Skull merchant is really really good at 3gens, and SoloQ survivors are not. But many Killers can do 3Gens if they are bad chaser.

I think @Phasmamain is right, Skull merchant is just the latest offender, this is a problem SoloQ'ers need help to identify and have a strategy to do about.

• AMOGUS
    AMOGUS Member Posts: 482

Why not just add basic specific in-game messages like Identity V has? You can even let people pick out a perk they have and send a message like "I have Kinship!". Would fix the issue with perks like Kinship and counter camping + tunneling.

If you're worried about spam, add a cooldown. Simple.

• Emeal

perhaps. I think you are right that SoloQs need to transmit what perks they use to their teammates in other ways than looking at tally screen.

• Entitled_survivor
    Entitled_survivor Member Posts: 828
    edited March 2023

Mostly call of brine /overcharge /nowhere to hide/jolt /eruption /save the best for last and on different combinations,, they just patrol their 3 gens while droning up, refusing to even chase a tile away

• Phasmamain

Fair points especially in regards to maps. Haddonfield is ridiculously easy to camp a 3 gen on.

Merchant’s power excels at holding a 3 gen but I’d still argue knight and p,ague are worse offenders if used well

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,586

If SM was any good outside of holding 3 gens that would as much of an issue. Wesker was released into this meta as well and people don't camp 3 gens with him over anything else.

Though CoB + Overcharge are a problem. The 2 strongest regression perks only work to their full potential when the killer camps a 3 gen. With Pop you would regress bunch of progress at once and had no need to stay in the area so that survivors can't touch the gen to stop the regression and you needed a hook to activate the perk. Ruin only worked when you could pressure people away from gens. Both of these perks forced the killer to chase and down survivors and would reward them in return.

CoB + Overcharge do the exact opposite. They force the killer to not commit to chases outside of the selected 3 gen. I don't think simply nerfing these perks is the way to go though. Without them the only 2 options left are Pain Res (not as reliable) and Surge / Jolt (isn't good on all killers). I would like to see them reworked to incentivise chasing and hooking.

I think the solution isn't to only bring back old Ruin and Pop but instead creating more perks like these and limitting their synergy. For example a gen could not lose more than ~31% in 10 seconds (old Pop + gen kick + 10s regression).