Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Why do Survivors get accessibility and QoL changes but Killers can’t even get an FoV slider?

There was the HUD changes which are good. Now there is visual heartbeat, which is great accessibility wise and honestly I think it will be useful for most people in general.

That said, there have been numerous reports of people getting motion sickness and having to waste an entire perk slot on Shadowborn. Also it is just nice to not be looking out of a Pringles can.

For some reason there is radio silence on this issue. BHVR’s stubborness on this is really remarkable.

Comments

• not_Queef
    not_Queef Member Posts: 820

A FOV slider isn't going to happen because the game is balanced around killers having a specific field of view. It has to be the same for everyone.

A wider default FOV would be very welcome, though.

• BenOfMilam
    BenOfMilam Member Posts: 911

There's pros and cons to having a wider field of view in DbD. You can see more, but the trade-off is that you are much easier to blind.

I once blinded a Shadowborn Nurse when I was practically right behind her. Increasing your FoV is pretty risky, imo.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,177

Oh good, a FOV thread, I can finally ask this (and I swear I'm not being a Judgemental B, I legit don't get it)

What is the accessibility fix that a FOV slider would give? I can see why you'd want one for gameplay reasons (larger FOV gives you more to see so you might catch a survivor out of the corner of your eye you otherwise missed) but I don't get how that is an accessibility issue.

• Trickstom
    Trickstom Member Posts: 115
    edited March 2023

Motion Sickness, some people can't play video-games (specifically, First-Person) if the FoV is lower or equal to 90, and the default killer FoV is 87.

I can't play killer without Shadowborn cause I get nauseous/headaches without it.

The FOV of FP games that I play need to be 100 or higher.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,437

People who get motion sickness, or have other visual impairments that aren't about color.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,177
    edited March 2023

Huh...that's not something I've really ever heard of before but I'll take y'alls word for it.

Edit: I googled it and it seems to be common enough that it has a name; Simulator Sickness. I've never had any issues like that and figured motion sickness would be caused by...well...motion. Although I suppose your FOV is motion when you're whippin your head back and forth searching.

• Trickstom
    Trickstom Member Posts: 115

The FOV slider is the single most important graphics option in gaming by at least one metric: it can literally stop a game from making you feel sick.

"You would love for the FOV of the camera in the game to mimic the FOV of you actually moving through the actual world" 

The closer your FOV setting comes to mirroring the portion of your vision the screen in front of you takes up, the more intuitive sense it will make to your brain. This is why there's no such thing as the "best" FOV for any game: that number will vary dramatically based on how big your screen is and how close you are to it.

I'm a little surprised that people think one is just better than the other. No. It's literally a personal, perceptual thing.

That's why people having been asking for FoV Slider and why my FoV in FP games need to be 100 or higher.

Read this: https://www.pcgamer.com/why-low-fov-in-first-person-games-can-make-you-feel-nauseous/

• Reinami
    edited March 2023

I personally don't get motion sickness, nor have visual impairment. I don't know if there is a term for what i have, but in general, i get bad headaches if i have an FoV that is much less than 90-100 in most games after playing for any more than an hour. I generally get around this by playing a round or 2 of survivor in between my killer games to let my eyes rest a bit, but it causes me issues on longer sessions.

For context, the default FoV of killer is 87, which is really tiny. Most FPS games tend to default around 100ish, and for competitive ones let you slide it up to 120. Normal human FoV is 170-180 depending on the person, but obviously you are looking at a screen, so when you extrapolate that out, 100 is probably more natural in games.

• RpTheHotrod
    RpTheHotrod Member Posts: 1,851

Killers should get a gen audio accessibility notification, as well. They can hear it, anyway. A visual aid so you can hear gens would be helpful for the hard of hearing folks. Same logic applied to the survivors accessibility options - what about the killer players?

• Reinami

I agree with this as well. In general i think audio needs to be done for killers as well for injured survivors and footsteps.

Saw an article about a game that did this with raytracing and looked pretty good.

Here is the video of it:

https://www.tiktok.com/@wepcgaming/video/7203661769015889158

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

An Fov slider wouldn't make any sense. Everyone would just set it to the max.

• KingFieldShipper
    KingFieldShipper Member Posts: 612
    edited March 2023

I wouldn't, and I don't expect it to tbh. I personally really dislike shadowborn and how it makes things look and there are downsides to doing that (increased flashlight blind angles, for instance) and it makes me miss a lot of hatchets and stuff because it changes how distance is perceived. But it should be a slider regardless for the people that need it.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,426

On its most basic level, survivors track killer by terror radius (auditory cue) and killers track survivors by scratch marks (visual cue). Killers got a visual accessibility option in colourblind mode, and survivors get an auditory accessibility option in the form of this heartbeat. Not saying a FOV option for killers shouldn't be implemented at some stage, but if we are doing accessibility tit for tat then I feel like the devs have shown they're not intentionally ignoring one side.

• Gamedozer7
    Gamedozer7 Member Posts: 2,657

Have you ever tried playing killer? I'm actually curious because gameplay uses alot of sound to track survivors or get close to gens a hear if they are been worked on. I would think is almost impossible to play killer with hearing impairment.

Dbd mobile add sound notifications for all that. So it's definitely a possibility.

• Gamedozer7

Alot of tracking on killer is done with audio. Scratch marks give you general locations but to find a survivor is normal done with audio like injured noises, vault sounds,locker sounds. Imagine trying to mind game a survivor and you can't hear them been injured or even vault.

• Gamedozer7

I wasn't trying to be condescending or nothing like that I'm actually curious on the viability of playing killer with hearing difficulties. Not been able to hear a survivor behind a wall or a gen been worked on in the distance would be extremely difficult.

• Komi
    Komi Member Posts: 364

The simple reason is that the moment they do give us a slider is the moment they have to update/patch all future and past viewmodels to correctly display.

The example above should explain why, but to define it; they would need to further tweak this for the slider, possibly even make a new model.

• ShroudedGhostFace
    ShroudedGhostFace Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 104

There’s no reason why killer shouldn’t get an FOV slider other than the fact that BHVR fears upsetting survivors more than they fear upsetting killers. I find it pretty comical that killers have to beg for a QOL feature that is present in 99% of first-person games.

They’re so afraid of survivor backlash that you can’t even see the hook stages of survivors while playing killer even if you have the hook stage tracker turned on in your settings.

• SunsetSherbet
    SunsetSherbet Member Posts: 1,607

Because balance is tied to FOV. Why would you ever not have it at max? Just to handicap yourself?

• ShroudedGhostFace

Still not seeing a reason why Shadow Born can’t be basekit at the bare minimum

• Komi
    Komi Member Posts: 364

Then what will Shadowborn do? Prevent FOV from changing? Again it all means extra work that seemingly is too much of a hassle for the devteam

• ShroudedGhostFace

Lmao it would be easy to give Shadow Born a new ability. They could literally just make anything up and change the perk if they wanted to. There are so many bad/useless perks that it wouldn’t matter if they changed it to be a trash perk.

New Shadow Born: Dark Mist on maps is longer visible for the killer.

Boom. Now the perk counters mist offerings. Now increase our FOV by 15 degrees.

• Gamedozer7

It's no big deal totally understandable. Have you tried stridor? I didn't even think about those been used like thay. It's still quite a lot of your perk slots been used just to make killer somewhat playable.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

ShadowBorne make survivors glowing like Freddy dream, make them impossible to hide in the dark/grass.

If FOV ever change, I hope it would only be horizon, not vertical.

• KingFieldShipper

Personally, and anecdotally, I track mostly with sight and only sometimes audio. I usually have music and stuff playing in the background that I pause if I have to super concentrate. I'm mostly deaf in one of my ears - but not completely deaf, so it's not impossible, it's just different.

• Gamedozer7

There is so much info that is audio to the point were I play with headphones to pick up on it. Like how do you mindgame a survivor you can't see they can just w out or reposition?

It's crazy to hear about people playing killer with hearing difficulties to me because I use sound so much when playing killer I didn't even think of playing without it.

• KingFieldShipper

I don't really know how to describe it honestly it's just sort of second nature to me after thousands of hours in the game. I realistically can't really play spirit that well (and I don't want run DCB out of principal) - so a lot my movements with her are mostly just based on predictions on what survivors are doing.

I only play with headphones though, and have always since I started, so the audio (and whatever I have on in the background) is always close to my ears. If I didn't play without headphones it would probably be a different story.

• Gamedozer7

You probably notice alot of little things visually that I would miss. It sounds like you use a totally different skill set .

It would be nice to see some audio accessibility options for killer like I said dbd mobile has visual cues for gens and thing of that nature idk why they haven't added it to the base game.

• ProfessorDunwich
    ProfessorDunwich Member Posts: 1,514

You can get an FoV increase with Shadowborn and the models are fine. All that is required is adding an options setting.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,426
    edited March 2023

I'm aware, that's why i said on a base level. Likewise, terror radius only tells survivors that the killer is nearby, not the direction they are in. The latter comes from a visual cue (ie red stain) so obviously both auditory and visual cues matter to both sides. But on a base level, we know the general location of killer via audio and survivor via visual.

But short of basekit Killer instinct or aura reading, it's very difficult to address it on the killers side without giving an advantage to those who arent hearing impaired. It would completely negate any chance of mind games for survivors and chases would be over very quickly. This heartbeat will presumably kick in at the same time the TR does, hence those who aren't hearing impaired don't get any particular advantage.

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,271

In regards to the more recent Posts: I'm amazed both by people who can tell where the killer is coming from based on their footsteps and/or clothes sound - or where exactly a survivor is based on footsteps. Irl I have pretty good echolocation skills - but in game? Nah. Heck, I even sometimes use distortion in part to know if the killer is coming cause smh I just miss the TR.

But back to topic: as people have pointed out the FOV matters balance wise. Doesn't mean it's unchangeable because of that, just that it will have to be followed by probably quite some re-balancing. It is more than QoL for most players.

I wonder though; flat imcreased FOV aside are they ways to alleviate the motion sickness? Think how with Clown you get the crosshairs. If the FOV was wider but colours and contrast faded out toward the sides - until it's pretty much grayscale with rather small colour range - would that help with motion sickness? You get the reference for your eyes and your brain to not go bananas but you can't really do anything with that info when it comes to the game (safe for someone being very obvious in your peripheral view by making big movements - cosmetics, scratchies, pools of blood would effectively be removed from the FOV-added peripherak view)

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,453
    edited March 2023

The FOV was set back in 2016 when the game was a hide and seek simulator, and Legion is about the only killer that has FOV changes tied to their power, other than Slinger ADS.

Hell, even during the "slugging ptb" with the Last Man Standing mechanic, they made the FOV increase you got when only 1 survivor was standing into a toggle.

Probably because gaining and losing FOV could cause motion sickness, but still.

I say we add a slider, see how many players use it, and monitor the killrates. Everything else is just speculation.

Decent idea, a little odd considering it's a Wraith perk but I like it.

How about, start undetectable for 30s duration, lasts till your first down, also extends Undetectable effects by 2s lasting the whole trial? That would actually be a pretty fun perk. Kind of like a "Stealth" Lethal Pursuer?

Post edited by MrMori on
  • Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,582
    edited March 2023

I, personally, don't have any trouble with motion sickness. However, I do get disoriented very easy when playing DBD. I know the maps and loops like the back of my hand but every time I have to turn very fast (like when playing Blight, Billy or Oni) I need a split second to orient myself. Shadowborn helps me deal with that. With the increased FOV I can easily turn 360° without issues. On some killers I can play without it but it's definitely not a nice feeling, when you have to adjust how you play to it.

This shouldn't be locked behind a perk. It's a QoL issue that should be addressed. A FOV slider would be a slight advantage but not any more than the visual indicator of the killer's TR. After all, sometimes you didn't hear the TR over a gen being worked on, your friends talking etc.

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108

Visual hearbeat helps vs certain killers that have a faint terror radius at the start

• AnchorTea
    AnchorTea Member Posts: 1,019
  • Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,735
    edited March 2023

It makes me sad to see many comments that view FOV slider / buff as something like old Eruption free for every killer.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

I see many people say Shadowborn gives you a bigger range to get flashlighted.

Is there a video of this somewhere?

It wouldn't be the first time the community was convinced of something that wasen't actually true

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,674

BHVR could just increase the FoV, but not increase the flashlight angles. To be honest, the flashlight angles are already questionable, where survivors can get flashlight angles, even when the flashlight itself isn’t anywhere near the killer’s FoV.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

Flashlight blinds are based on your field of view basically. If you increase it it increase the angle which you can be blinded

It’s probably leftover from when shadowborn used to make you more vulnerable to flashlights too

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

Good point. Might actually be a very small buff in that case.

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

Excuse me what? Buff t-bags? That's what you understand from me suggesting to buff survivors stealth just a tiny bit?

Or is this a joke that I am not getting? In that case I apologize.