I shouldn't have to play in a full SWF to ensure my teammates care about winning

This is the only larger PVP game I play where quickplay is the only option. There's no option for more competitive players to play with like-minded players in DbD outside of pre-made groups. It's not fun when teammates are running after the killer with a flashlight at 5 gens, going down instantly because they're trying to meme, looting chests for a tome challenge, etc. It's a bit unfair to expect a portion of the playerbase to go out of their way to make a group if they want to consistently enjoy a game mode. Beyond that, there's nothing to really play for if you're experienced and care about results. Rank 1 doesn't mean anything when you've been playing for years. There's zero sense of player skill progression as a player.

A competitive mode would obviously not be perfect. There are trolls in every game that I've ever played, and I've been playing online games for 20+ years at this point. But it would be better than what we have IMO and give players options. The common refrain is that it would split the playerbase, but you also have the potential to actually grow the playerbase by attracting players who otherwise wouldn't care about DbD. I personally never play unranked/quickplay in games. DbD is the exception for me, and it's not by choice.

Comments

• Unequalmitten86
    Unequalmitten86 Member Posts: 162

You and I fall in the same category here. I have been playing for relatively the same time frame probably longer. I shouldn't have to join a SWF but I play soloq and there is no relying on teammates there. I just started this game and yes I do the Rift but the game objectives come first. I think this update highlights the broken parts of toxic generation of newer gamers relied upon that never entered a COD waiting room. All these answers are just join an SWF.

• DaddyMyers_Mori
    DaddyMyers_Mori Member Posts: 2,205
    edited April 2023

Well, that's an issue of random players...

I don't think strongest part about SWF is talking, but an ability to choose your teammates and basically ignore match making.

There is an option for PC players, turning off crossplay.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,247

I definitely get that teammate skill will vary. What shouldn't vary in a PVP game is teammate's objectives without the ability to mitigate it. I don't think it's good for the game to have two players who want to be fairly optimal, one player who is only there to cleanse dull totems for a Rift challenge, and one player who just wants to loot chests. That sets up an unnecessary point of conflict.

• DaddyMyers_Mori

Well, they can't really control how player is going to play.

You can have decent survivor, who just got stupid challenge, so he is going to throw the game just to complete it.

• DudelPuma
    DudelPuma Member Posts: 329

yesyes! i'm also like that in every game where pvp exists i always want to go for the win and play on it, in every game it's done that way too in dbd it's so ridiculous... if you do your objective (make gens and escape) then some noobs talk about "you're so sweaty", "that's not a competivi game" it doesn't matter what dbd is! but I want to play every round to win with others who also have this intention, but currently it's only possible in a swf, a lot is tailored to swf, like me, I play a lot of killer or swf trust me bhvr probably won't do anything for the foreseeable future who do solo q, don't get your hopes up...

play SWF-Killer or DIE in the solo q!

• Unequalmitten86
    Unequalmitten86 Member Posts: 162

This is exactly it. For the casual gamer it isn't fair for gamers who are older or younger for that matter. You sold a game going in on a premises on playing as a team or on your own and now your forcing people to play as a team without the tools to play as a team in soloq. It isn't a skill level or anything like that it's lack of balance that is shed in soloq. Someone who just starts out isn't going to want to play with people they don't know in SWF they will play on soloq and probably ditch and ask for a refund lol.

• Spectralfx
    Spectralfx Member Posts: 605

The quality of teamates is out of control for the following people: You, the devs and to an extent, said teamates (a noob is a noob after all).

There is one thing that is in your control however: Playing with people you trust to be good partners or not.

It's up to you, period.

• Trollinmon
    Trollinmon Member Posts: 690

I feel a ranked mode would simply be what 1900 was before they changed the soft cap. It's just Nurse, Nurse, Blight, Nurse. Every game was the same and players would be bringing some of the strongest things they could.

I've personally had much better games recently with MM. I rarely get survivors that shouldn't be paired with me and I can see this issue simply being fixed if the MM works well. I don't see how you should be paired with those players unless the MM simply struggles to separate players. I've had the same frustration as you before this patch and have started to get players that are more like-minded/skilled in the last couple days.

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,439

They wouldn't queue up for ranked if that were their goal, especially in a potential higher rank

• DaddyMyers_Mori

Really?

So will I rather go with 3 other players, that will do random things and we die on 5 gens, or go ranked and hope they will carry me.

• Ivanynakov
    Ivanynakov Member Posts: 235

What if your personal objectives gave you 4x less points BUT in the end of the game it would multiply by number of survivors escaped?

Would push the overall teamplay for sure.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,028

I've simply learned how to survive alone. Gotta identify that line between when to help, and when to cut ties and start going alone.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,774

For this to work, we would need a solid way to keep sweats in both roles out of the casual mode, where they'd just be looking to dunk on people, and also not hurt queue times in the process. That would be the magical formula imo. The honor system wouldn't work here; have you met us? πŸ˜‘

But with lobby dodging and the resultant backfilling already wreaking the matchmaking right now, these modes would make it far worse.

I am also dubious the game has the numbers to support split queues.

• Hex_TunnelBait
    Hex_TunnelBait Member Posts: 36
    edited April 2023

Lobby backfilling is wrecking the MMR system? How so? I have never heard of that before.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,774
    edited April 2023

Their system has one shot at a fair-ish match, based on MMR and available players. When one player (killer or surv) dodges the lobby, it tends to widen the "acceptable" MMR in favor of queue times.

This is exactly how rookie killers notoriously get a veteran SWF and are destroyed brutally, for instance. Because the SWF has been dodged repeatedly & waiting for a while, the system throws them at the next available killer, regardless of MMR.

Another example is a surv leaves a lobby for whatever reason. Now a solo is backfilled in, which may lead to even more dodging in itself, and again queue times become prioritized over MMR if enough time passes. An on it goes.

We actually are doing it to ourselves. Killers dodge for lots of reasons, and so do survs. But we know it tosses matchmaking out the window, and we do it anyway.

Plus in previous Q&A's the community expressed it's preference for queue speeds over quality matches. Loudly in fact.

Post edited by JPLongstreet on
  • wisdomwielder
    wisdomwielder Member Posts: 348

I agree. People who want to play seriously and people who want to get their tomes done and go for power-struggle plays should be separated. All you have to do is disable challenges, dailies, etc. in ranked mode for it to no longer be a problem. The bonus to be gained from this will be less complaining about people sweating or not trying, because there will be space for that. No one in comp complains about sweat because sweating is expected. If everyone shares the same expectations, then the salt will decrease.

• Spectralfx

the issue with that is that people would complain that sweaty people play in the casual mode while the toxicity would go through the roof as newer playing try to play rank.

I've played other competitive games that uses that method and trust me when I say it is not the solution you are looking for.

MMR is.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333
  • Spectralfx

Its has good has its gonna get. Sorry but that's all there is.