The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

When do killers get basekit anti-gen rush?

H2H
H2H Member Posts: 694
edited May 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions

Since survivors have basekit anti-tunnel and will soon have basekit anti-camp and basekit anti-slug, it seems only fair for killers to get a basekit counter to survivors engaging in unfun boring no counterplay gen rush gameplay.

Maybe the first time a gen reaches 50% it will automatically block for a while or instantly regress a large amount! Maybe survivors will have to take a chase to gain repair tokens they can spend to repair some percentage of a generator!

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• AssortedSorting
    AssortedSorting Member Posts: 1,058

It depends on what this person means by gen-rush.

Is gen rush just the overall completion speed of generators?

Or is it the out-of-the gate sense of falling behind due to the increased repair efficiency for Survivors at the start of the Trial before the Killer gets their first chase in.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333

Not gonna lie, I don't think there is a healthy way to just give killers a universal base kit solution to gen rushing.

You would be better served by looking at either restructuring survivor objective in some way or doing a targeted rework of on toolboxes or gen regression. Personally, I'd rather have a rework to gen regression where in the early game it is fairly strong, but gets weaker over time as I do feel killers do need to be a bit more proactive to gain benefit of that nature. I also realize certain killers just can't keep up and that goes to more nuanced design issue that is best solved directly rather than a blanket universal semi-solution. I think we may be at a point in DBD where concepts like 110% movement speed killers shouldn't be a thing anymore and perks should either be doing more niche force multiplying effects or be reworked/tuned to be generally less specific by overall more useful.

Hexes have sort of been bullied out of killer kits with a few exceptions, gen regression across the board has been severely cut so I think doing a mix of targeted adjustments on both sides would bring better results.

Killers haven't really gotten anything that matches the universal base kit additions of survivors. You can give killers a universally buff while Nurse, Spirit, and Blight exists because ultimately the three of them do not constitute the majority of play space by design won't really suffer or gain drastic benefits. That is the problem with being that good, things that aren't specifically targeted to you just don't really effect you all that much.

By design it is pretty hard to give killers any sort of universal buff because the problems killers have often even if the overall outcome is the same the causes and symptoms are different. So unless I'm missing something it would be cool if you can elaborate on what exactly you consider a base kit buff for killers that has actually happened.

Keep in mind that the rework to medkits and self healing while beneficial to killers isn't something that should be considered a base kit buff. That's a negative survivor balance change as it doesn't directly give killers anything it just makes the overall play more reasonable.

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,142
    edited May 2023

What if each survivor could only contribute 50% of a gen's total progress to each gen without a gear/part?

A normal gear/part, found somewhere in the map, lets them work an additional 50%, allowing them to 100% solo a gen. A brand new gear/part, found in the basement, lets them work an additional 100%, allowing them to solo 2 gens before having to find a new gear. (This would give survivors reason to go to the basement and give perks like Territorial Imperative more value. And this would make the Brand New Part addon for the toolbox function like the Brand New Part/Gear in the trial, saving that survivor a trip to the basement.)

• The survivor can either look for the gear first and then hop on a gen, or get the gen to 50% and then come back with the gear later.
    • Two survivors could team up on the same gen to combine both their 50% into 100%.
    • Multiple survivors could each solo their own gen to 50% and then swap/rotate to finish someone else's gen.
    • The survivor can ignore gears completely and just run around adding 50% to every gen and letting someone else finish the rest.

Either way, this would stop 3 gens from popping at once after the first chase ends (or before it ends, in some cases).

• MrPsych
    MrPsych Member Posts: 265

Okay, next patch will have the survivors stare at a wall for a full minute before being able to play. Problem solved.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

Let me know how that goes for you lol.

@topic Maybe a repair speed debuff until the first down happens. That would effect killers pretty evenly.

• WorthlessBeing
    WorthlessBeing Member Posts: 378

To be honest I don't see anything out of league for the DbD community here so you really shouldn't be surprised anymore

• ReikoMori

Do what now? How is this remotely relevant to anything I've just said?

I literally wrote disagreeing with the notion of giving killers a universal base kit solution to gen rushing and responded to someone making a claim that killers had gotten such types of buffs in the past.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

So, do you want the game balanced around those swf kill squads, and if so, what do you think the changed balance would do to all solo teams, that are still about 50% of all matches?

• sulaiman

That might even be ok, if gens never regress

After all, unhooking dont give you back the hookstate, once its gone its gone, so the same should be true for gens as well, right?

• ReikoMori

6.1.0 was a wide scale meta shake up for every one, but it wasn't even remotely similar to the likes of base kit BT and new anti-camp function that we can start testing tomorrow. You've not undermined my point and I don't know why you want to make this some weird Us vs Them own when I'm literally speaking from a position that favors survivors if anything.

• sulaiman

I think that is a good definition, but then the proposed solution is wrong, since it doesnt affect just gen rushing but normal gameplay as well. The Survivor changes dont effect killers that neither camp nor tunnel much.

But i agree that by your definition of gen rush, it is a problem. But on the same turn, its sometimes needed. But then the CounterTunneling/CounterGenrush circle just starts all over again.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,235

Completed gens cant be regressed tho. Removing regression would be more like removing healing from the game, if we try to find similarities.

Gens/gate ~ hookstates

Repair ~ chase

Regression ~ healing/denial/pallets etc.

Escape ~ Kill.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,235

How about not putting words in my mouth. That'd be nice, for starters.

Secondly incase you didnt notice, my first paragraph was about the survivor balance logic concerning the relation between solo and comms with friends.

My third paragraph was then about applying that survivor balance logic to the killer side, first by equalizing killers because all survs share the same tools/character and then making the skill related adjustments like the solo-comms gap.

If that logic applied to killers seems ridiculous to you why are we advocating for it for survivors? Way to prove my theory most of the community being survivor biased.

And now for the funny finale. I support all that solo swf gapclosing, no really. But what i really want for dbd to treat both roles the same. Give sirvivor character stuff to emulate comms or forcefeed them the results of good comms usage on the hud, bu then have the balls to actually make all killer power levels approach the strongest too.

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 1,991

No cause that would make it even more impossible to win with potatoes (which matchmaking loving giving you). Maybe if match making actually work this could slightly be a interesting idea.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,431

Problem is they don't KNOW they are playing against solos. Best solution would be to stop playing games with this and show killers when they are playing with a SWF and not. That way i know if i need to bring my best stuff, or if i can meme around and play a chill game. If it creates a problem where killers queue dodge games with SWF, then obviously we have a problem with SWF don't we?

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,816

I’m not making it us vs. them; in responding directly to things you’ve said. Let’s follow a rudimentary line of logic: Why did survivors received basekit BT? What did BHVR specifically say when they announced that feature? They explained why it was a thing given to survivors—do you remember the language around why it was to be a basekit feature? If not I can summon someone to remind you. Now, let’s consider the anti-camping measure. This one is fresh so you should easily find the answers to the questions I’m about to ask. Why did BHVR say they’re implementing this one? Take your time.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,431

Almost like matchmaking should be good. But no, instead we have this trash one where matchmaking for MMR purposes caps at 1600, meaning a real 1600 player could go against a 2.2k player.

• JustAnotherNewbie
    JustAnotherNewbie Member Posts: 1,941

Bad killers are already stronger than bad survivors. That's why people say in low mmr games are heavily killer sided. This is already the state of the game. Even in average games the survivors have to be decent individually AND be able to co-ordinate to counter certain killer play styles. It's in high MMR where this is the opposite for some killers. SO saying it's silly, is indeed silly because atm the game is balanced in such a way that the game favors bad/average killers above bad/average survivors and sometimes even decent survivors.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,455

That's what happens when you have broken things on either side that people relied WAY too heavily on

• JustAnotherNewbie
    JustAnotherNewbie Member Posts: 1,941
    edited May 2023

Survivors also don't know they're going against killers with their most broken builds. It still won't stop killers setting the pace of the game. It'll just make it easier for killers to pick and choose who they like to play against.

• DBDVulture
    DBDVulture Member Posts: 2,437

They really didn't. Remember how survivors got +10 seconds of basekit BT off the hook? That's the exact time shift killers "save" with the extra generator time except that you expect 9 hook events during a game and only 5 gens to get completed.

Even this math is in favor of the survivor by 40 seconds.

-"What is the high level top tier survivor doing? They are exploiting extremely powerful loops on cowshed that make it nearly impossible for a killer to catch them."

Never played TF2 but the parachute segment is a perfect example that shows the difference between top players and average players. One of the biggest problems with DBD is that the loops are designed to hand hold average players. When you get to Cowshed and someone runs around a loop and doesn't throw the pallet after running around it 3-4 times then this ends up not being fair to the killer.

Funny enough VHS had mechanics that overcame several of DBD's problems.

Healing in DBD is still questionable because when I play "medic" I use 2 perks to heal people off the hook in under 7 seconds. This leads to scenarios where it feels to the killer that hits don't matter. VHS solved this problem by having the monster go enraged which meant hit = down no matter what.

Going back to the problem of looping we could fix broken maps very easily. Once upon a time in 2018 we had "super Bloodlust"; if you don't know what that is you can find some videos where streamers like Tofu talk about it. In short imagine if we changed the Bloodlust mechanic so that when a killer chases you they buildup bloodlust and it doesnt ever go away until they hit someone for damage. How would that change the game?

If we look at "bad" players we can say they loop for X seconds and we can be sure that X is some variable between 5-20 seconds before a killer hits them in chase. If we changed the game so that no matter what the very best players were only X+10 seconds instead of what we have now which is closer to X+40 seconds then killer would have a minimum chase time.

This would allow everyone to be on roughly the same page. The problem is that veteran players who are used to looping a killer for 30-60 seconds before getting hit would be very angry.

An even more simple solution would be to limit people by their MMR. What does that mean? New players have an 800 MMR so they would play on the maps we have now with extreme hand holding. Imagine if we made a 1200 MMR version of the same maps where either an entire jungle gym were removed from some maps or 2 filler pallets never spawned. That would be a much more challenging map but players in that MMR bracket would be fine. That leads us to the 1600+ MMR players who could run killers on maps with 4 pallets/vaults missing - therefore when they play any map it will spawn with a combination of 4 vaults and pallets "missing".

OR we could limit killers by the maximum MMR they should face. Imagine for example if Trapper were set to a 1199 MMR limit so they would never play against 1200 MMR players. That might make that killer "fair" to play.

Or we could go through the list and change all the killers to be on a Blight/Nurse level. Imagine the Legion killer. We give Legion Iri button base kit. Now Legion will chase down survivors with the ease of Blight.