More Colorblind Settings Especially for Farm Maps

Comments

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,995

What issues do you specifically have with the Colourblind settings - if you can give your experience rather than relying on someone elses video that would be super helpful especially if you explain what type of colourblindness you have and what specific elements cause an issue for you?

For the record, I am also colourblind, so having this feedback is very helpful.

• NowWereEven
    NowWereEven Member Posts: 9

i don't personally have any color blindness but have gamer friends who do, here's a comment from someone on coldwins for example which i hear come up often as a colorblind issue, i guess the map color or lighting for instance on farms maps

" I have some trouble on the corn maps, but it’s not anywhere near as bad as the responses shared here. It also helps that my wife is usually watching me play and acts as a spotter"

" killer radius mistaken by some in game light like on midwich"

"hud stuff is good, i think in game colors are the issue" this is coming from a friend who has Deuteranopes and another with Tritan

"item rarity colors"

"barrel lights in game"

i hope this information is helpful, i dont mean it to come off in a bad way at all just met gamers who couldnt play dbd because the game needed more options. Thanks for sharing you are colorblind also thats great to get feedback from you like that and thanks for replying!

• EmberlyTV
    EmberlyTV Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2023

Hi hi I am one of the colorblind participants (EmberlyTV) from Syth202's video that was shared. I have Deuteranopia (Full red/green blindness) and struggle greatly with many of the maps and the scratch marks and radius often gets lost to me. As stated in the video, the colorblind settings is more of a filter rather than a true setting that I and others can rely on to fully enjoy the game. The only way the colorblind settings can somewhat help is when as a killer I want to see the hook states. With the settings it's bright enough that it stands out. However, that's the only praise I can give the settings. The fix that I, along with many of the colorblind community would appreciate, is if we could select the colors of our radius and scratch marks, etc. Objects in the map such as barrels, and some lighting often gets mistaken as the killer radius, so personally I end up running away from the barrel before realizing it's literally just a barrel. I sympathize that making the colors editable would be something that would require a lot of work, but it's the only fix I can see truly helping. Coldwind and other yellow like maps (along with of course Borgo) is the most difficult and painful map to play on. I understand that everyone's colorblindness is different, and while using the percent slider can help with people with a smaller deficiency, someone such as myself cannot properly function, and bringing map offerings helps only some of the time. On top of that, sticking to offerings prevents people with Colorblindness to truly enjoy the game. I could go on and on but the video has summed up many of our complaints and what we struggle with. However, if there is something more I could explain in better detail I would truly appreciate the time to discuss this matter further.

(Also I read that you are also colorblind and was curious as to which colorblindess/deficiency you have) 

• 34tena
    34tena Member Posts: 1

Good Afternoon, my name is Tena (34tena in the video) and I was one of the Color blind recipients mentioned in this video who has Tritanopia (Blue/Green). I enjoy Dead By Daylight as a whole and enjoy the things you guys do however I do have to agree that color blindness concerns can be an issue to those of us with much more difficult time adjusting to the game with its based color blindness settings. I tend to struggle most under certain filters (Such as Boons, mending, and Dredge darkness filters in Auto Haven, Red Stain on Borgos, and MacMillan maps). Yes I have around above 6k hours in the game itself so I can usually map out where I’m going but it tends to give a massive strain to my eyes enduring those filters for quite some time. If there is a way to put more detail into these settings instead of throwing on a filter that seems to fit under that color blindness setting so that the gameplay can be much more comfortable and visible for others than that’s all we can really ask for.

• LilyGoatDemon
    LilyGoatDemon Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2023

I have Protanomaly, which is a mild type of red/green colorblindness. For me, what this means is that I can perceive these colors, but poorly. I tend to confuse pinks, oranges, reds and even some browns. I also struggle with getting greens mixed up, as well as "green adjacent" colors like teal, and even some blues on occasion.

The current filters in the game are not strong enough, even for me with a relatively mild case of colorblindness.

I have always struggled in DBD while playing Killer on certain maps; notably the Cornfield, Shattered Square and any "green saturated" map, like Red Forest, Autohaven, McMillian Estate, etc. That's at least 5 "domains" that I struggle with terribly as a Killer.

On the Survivor side, these are not nearly as bad, since I don't have to rely on Scratch Marks to find players. This has directly led to me playing more Survivor because I find it significantly easier with my colorblindness to play and do well vs. when I play Killer.

The two biggest things that would help me enormously would be: Being allowed to change the auras of things. By default, most auras are red for the Killer, and those are outright impossible for me to see on many maps. They simply vanish for me most of the time. In the worst cases,

Perks that "change the intensity of the color" based on an action are useless to me, as I cannot discern between the subtleties of a "slightly lighter red" and "now that red is darker".

Increasing the contrast: The thing that helps the most with colorblindness for a lot of us is more contrast, not different colors. By this I mean, including patterns/shapes and making things outright have stark contrast to anything that might be around it as well. There is a BIT of this in the auras, but not nearly enough. The undulating "meat" veins that appear in auras when you get close enough actually do help them become a bit more noticeable but this needs to be starker. A simple texture pattern of dots, triangles or jagged lines etc that slowly move could help a ton.

Here's an example from one of the game's Wiki pages talking about auras:

Killer's POV:

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/deadbydaylight_gamepedia_en/images/e/eb/KillerAuraReading.png

Survivor's POV:

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/deadbydaylight_gamepedia_en/images/0/0d/SurvivorAuraReading.jpg

Now I know that's an older version of that map from the "Killer POV" one, but the problem is still present in updated maps. You can see how the red aura color is difficult to see, versus the types and variety of auras Survivors get. The funny thing is, the very red generators and hooks are the hardest to see, with generators being the hardest for some reason. They don't seem to be coded to be as vibrant as other types of auras, and that's actually a problem. The easier auras to read are the more saturated ones like the Killer's aura and the Windows.

But this all comes back to my first point: If we could choose what color the auras are, we would not be so disadvantaged playing, and for Killer especially, the inability to know where my gens and hooks are directly impedes my ability to play the game. If I could make my auras yellow on most maps, I wouldn't struggle nearly as much (Obviously the Cornfield might still be a challenge there, but I'd be down from 5 realms being unplayable to only 1, which is quite nice).

Forcing colorblind players to only work with the predetermined colors we can't change and applying filters to it is a band-aid at best for most of us. The easiest solution is letting us change the colors of things we need to get information from. And we can sort of do that with the filter, but the problem is, we are only really changing the intensity of a problematic color and not getting rid of it altogether. The filters also effect everything, so even on areas where a color might not be a problem, you're still forced to change it too and hope it works out.

Dealing with colorblindness is often a dance of compromise and none of the results are ideal, only "less bad" than before.

I love playing Killer, but am at this point largely a Survivor player just because Survivor is so much easier for me due to my disability.

Post edited by LilyGoatDemon on
  • Rossieeroo
    Rossieeroo Member Posts: 1

I'm also one of the colorblind participants from Syth202's video (Rossieeroo). The video does a fantastic job of explaining what we go through and how the settings are lacking. Having the ability to choose your own aura / scratch mark / red stain color palates would be the biggest help for me personally. I feel that the situation would be improved if we were able to have a handful of configurable presets that could be swapped from a quick menu in event a different preset is preferred for the map selected for the current trial. This would give players the opportunity to find what works best for their individual condition and would at least allow in game elements (such as auras, scratch marks, and other visual indicators) to be more distinguished from the rest of the map. I do understand that isolating certain elements (such as Objectives and the Killer) and allowing for color change could pose an issue, but starting with indicators would be a tremendous step in the right direction.

• LilyGoatDemon
    LilyGoatDemon Member Posts: 18

I feel that the situation would be improved if we were able to have a handful of configurable presets that could be swapped from a quick menu in event a different preset is preferred for the map selected for the current trial.

Oh this would be SO amazing tbh. Because there's not really a "one size fits all" answer for colorblindness; there are several types of it, and different degrees of severity. So what may help one colorblind person may make it worse for another.

This even translates to the same person on different maps. Because Dead by Daylight "color codes" it's maps with "theme colors", but these are all different, the settings that help me on Coldwind won't be the same settings that would help me on Red Forest or Autohaven.

Being able to change auras and scratch marks would absolutely be the biggest help to me, personally.

• LapisInfernalis
    LapisInfernalis Member Posts: 4,205

I am not colorblind, but I have great trouble seeing certain killers or survivors on Autoheaven and the Badham maps. For Autoheaven the black-green results in a weird camouflage for killers like Deathslinger, Hag, Ghostface, Pig or Survivors like Claudette. I can only see the Killer's red light. It gets worse if I have to deal with Deep Wound.

For Springwood it seems to be the purple-greenish-black that gives me problems, but not as bad as Autoheaven.

From what I noticed, the problem with Autoheaven is the contrast. One area of the map is fine (the more illuminated one) but the darker part is horrible.

I already tried the in-game filters, an own filter on windows but they both did not work. So I had to adjust the coloration through my GPU software, which I really did not want to do as it can give you slight advantages. But I was sick of not seeing on some maps due to contrast.

• AbsolutGrndZer0
    AbsolutGrndZer0 Member Posts: 1,409

I am reminded of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. Released in 1999, it had extensive color blind options from the start, and I remember my best friend who is red/green colorblind loved that game. When i, as a non-colorblind person tried the settings she played with, it looked terrible to me and all washed out and drab, and so I asked her about it and she said it was one of the best games she'd ever played. Like, they had actually someone like her work on and test the colorblind mode to make sure it looked great. This was in NINETEEN-NIGHTY-NINE. Why can't companies do this today?

• LapisInfernalis
    LapisInfernalis Member Posts: 4,205

Even as non colorblind I would love that. As someone who uses Windows of Opportunity, every time someone else has Kindred, I use Bond or I face against a pinhead, I want to cry because all auras are yellow.....