Made For This is Objectively Unbalanced

Options
SirCracken
SirCracken Member Posts: 1,414
edited June 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions

Made For This is the most broken survivor perk released in recent years. And I will be going into detail explaining why. Including some rebuttals I have to people defending the perk. Let's begin.

Why Made For This is Unbalanced

1 - The speed boost is too accessible

Being injured is far too lenient a requirement for a near-permanent 3% speed boost. Despite having the 2nd lowest Haste effect of all Haste perks, Made For This manages to be the most powerful because of how easy the extra speed is to access. Every single other Haste perk requires at least some effort to either obtain or maintain the speed.

• Hope - Requires all 5 generators to be repaired
  • Bloodpact & Teamwork: Power of Two - Requires another survivor to be healed and forces them to remain close to you
  • Boon: Dark Theory - Requires lighting a boon and staying within 24 meters of it

The reason why Made For This is a problem but other haste perks aren't is that it requires so little effort to activate. Getting a speed boost of any kind is huge because it can make the difference between getting hit or reaching a pallet in time. There's a reason why most killers move only 15% than survivors. Tweaking the movement speed too much for either side will quickly lead to unbalanced games.

This is easily noticeable since Made For This is very commonly used now. And effectively grants whoever uses it a permanent 3% speed boost just by being injured. Survivors should not have access to something as powerful as Haste so easily.

2 - It can be used with certain Exhaustion Perks

The only other requirement that Made For This has to be activated besides being injured is to not be Exhausted. This is supposed to make it so you have to choose between the constant 3% Haste of Made For This and the 150% Haste of traditional Exhaustion perks. The problem is that you can still benefit from both.

Lithe, Dead Hard, Balanced Landing and Smash Hit, can all be activated at will when their conditions are met. Which means people who use Made For This can select their Exhaustion perk of choice and run for as long as possible before activating it. Getting maximum value from the 3% Haste from Made For This before getting the 150% Haste or Endurance from the aforementioned 4 perks when the killer is close to hitting them.

You get to have your cake and eat it too. The synergy that Made For This has with Exhaustion perks is far too great.

3 - It also gives you Endurance

There is no reason why a perk that can already massively extend the duration of chases should also allow you to get Endurance of any kind. Being rewarded with a constant 3% Haste while injured and being able to tank a hit after performing a heal is absurd. This is pure perk-bloat.

On it's own, (Or on a more fitting perk), this effect would be fine. It's the fact that it's packaged with an already powerful perk is what makes it unnecessary. Imagine if Sprint Burst also granted you extra unhooking speed. It simply doesn't need to be any more powerful.

Arguments against nerfing Made For This

"Getting 3% extra movement speed isn't that strong"

This argument shows a blatant lack of understanding of DbD's mechanics.

Moving 3% faster at all times is incredibly powerful. Since survivors have smaller collision boxes than killers they can circle around objects faster. Any extra movement speed they get will multiple the distance they can move around loops considerably. To the point that 110% movement speed killers simply cannot catch survivors at certain loops if the survivor is moving too fast.

A perk being able to give players that extra speed so easily is simply not balanced or fair to go against.

"Just exhaust survivors and you can easily disable the perk"

This argument ignores how powerful the perk is and relies on all killers being able to easily exhaust survivors for it to make sense. This is not the case.

Aside from the few killers that can apply exhaustion directly to survivors with their add-ons, Such as Huntress, most killers cannot exhaust survivors without running certain perks. And all of them are conditional. There's no way to guarantee that a survivor will be exhausted when you chase them.

And even if there was, you shouldn't be forced to run perks or add-ons just to counter a single perk. DbD is sorely lacking in viable build diversity and forcing already struggling killers that can't apply exhaustion with their power to all run Fearmonger will only make this problem worse.

"Made For This is only a problem when combined with other Haste perks like Hope. By itself, the perk is fine"

While it is certainly true that being able to run at 110% total movement speed once you reach the end-game is completely busted, that doesn't mean the perk by itself is fine.

To reiterate, what makes Made For This unbalanced compared to other exhaustion perks is the ease of use. All you have to do is just be injured and you get the haste.

If you were to run Bloodpact and Hope together you would be able to run 14% faster. 4% faster than Made For This and Hope. But only after you reach the end-game, heal the obsession or vice versa, and remain close to them. There's sufficient conditions to activate the haste to balance out how powerful it is.

Made For This only has 2 conditions to work. Both of which are incredibly easy to meet at all times. That is why it is unbalanced;

Made For This provides too much power for how easy that power is to access.

How to fix Made For This

Although I would like the perk to be nerfed, I also don't want it to be rendered useless. I believe it is possible to fix the problems the perk has whilst still keeping it useful.

1. Remove the Endurance gained on finished healing. And move it to Buckle Up. There's no reason for the perk to grant Endurance given how much the 3% Haste already does. Buckle Up, on the other hand, is a perk that doesn't do enough. And being able to tank a hit while injured after you pick someone up would play to the perk's strengths and give it a much needed buff.
  2. After being in a chase for 20/25/30 seconds while injured, Made For This causes Exhaustion for 30 seconds. This change would allow the perk to remain useful during a chase whilst making it no longer overbearing. The 30 second exhaustion timer would allow players to choose to either run for as much distance as possible in hopes of losing the killer, or to use a 2nd exhaustion perk before the timer is up to gain more distance during a chase in exchange for a much longer exhaustion timer. Since both the Exhaustion of Made For This and other exhaustion perks would stack.
Post edited by EQWashu on

Comments

• miniwengsel
    miniwengsel Member Posts: 376
    Options

I wouldnt say overpowert, but verd strong. In my stats Resiliance is on place 7. Means its totally one of the meta perls at the Moment.

• Sharby
    Sharby Member Posts: 498
    Options

I'd argue DH also wasn't overpowered, just extremely common to run into to the point where every killer was waiting it out even if you didn't have it, compounding the issue. It was also meta for years.

Based off of this, a nerf was fair, but they didn't even change how the perks works, just the condition for unlocking it, its basically exactly the same which is why I haven't taken it off since the nerf.

Healing isn't as free as it used to be, you lose a lot of crucial gen time for healing, especially in solo queue. So people who are confident in their ability to loop with one healthstate remain injured and run perks like MFT and resilience. If MFT countered some of the injured penalties such as puddles/groans I'd be far more understanding for people calling it OP, but its only use in chase is the haste. Which is very strong, but a perk being strong doesn't mean it should get nerfed. Otherwise we will stay with the same perks forever which is already pretty stale.

• Sharby
    Options

Additional loops =/= not having to drop pallets. Yes, in the hands of a good player, 3% haste absolutely gives you one more loop, two if the killer loses a mindgame, but the reverse can also be true, you will still get downed if you get mindgamed. That's why claims of the perk being uncounterable or autowin are false.

If 3% haste was uncounterable, then really good survivors like Ayrun and co would never die in EGC with Hope, but they still do if they get outplayed.

The 3% becomes more or less strong depending on location as well, but that's a map issue, not a perk issue. Bloodlust also exists to make it so eventually you will need to use something.

If anything, its not the perk thats the problem, but the overabundance of safe loops that exist in the game.

• Sharby
    Options

Zoning and creating deadzones is a very common tactic in high-level killer play, most videos I watch of pro killers choose a section of the map to control, particularly ones with 3-gens, and force survivors to shed blood to chip away at the objective there. Idk why you would ever want survivors to use nothing against you, I personally, am overjoyed if I can zone a survivor into using Shack pallet at the start of a match for example.

Being injured is still an issue for even the best survivors, which is why resets still happen in tournaments. Iron Will and Off The Record are mediocre perks. And being less of a risk does not mean the risk isn't there or that its irrelevant, I don't see why this is a point of contention.

Calling something unbalanced or overpowered means that the perk removes any alternatives and is oppressive to play against due to having no counterplay. 3% haste for playing without exhaustion and an extra healthstate is balanced, very strong, but balanced because there is still healthy counterplay and tons of alternative perks that rival it in strength on both sides. The devs specifically made it not work with exhaustion to make sure it didn't completely negate the desirability of exhaustion perks.

Even if that weren't the case, the overwhelming majority of survivors are not good. And unless you are playing comp all the time, you are not running into really good survivors very often, if ever. The game shouldn't be balanced at an echelon that 99% of the playerbase will never reach, it should just be a consideration when it comes to not rendering the game unplayable in a competitive setting.

Tournaments already have tons of rules regarding perks and items, so MFT absolutely does not threaten the competitive community, whereas perks like Reassurance absolutely stirred the pot since hookstages are crucial in tourney games.

If perks that encourage a high-risk/high-reward playstyle such as MFT, Resilience, and Adrenaline are being called overpowered, then there truly is no survivor playstyle left that isn't overpowered. So arguing about it becomes pointless. Permit me to be dramatic, but at this point the devs should just stop releasing new survivor perks if the only acceptable ones are the trash we got in the previous two chapters, as it needlessly adds bloat to the roster of perks.

As stated before, the perk is very likely to get nerfed, but I am of the opinion that this will be a kneejerk reaction to overblown outrage, rather than any sort of "objective" problem like your title suggests.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135
    Options

I'd be fine with removing the endurance after healing. The +3% is good enough on its own.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762
    Options

There is no point in removing endurance because problematic part is 3% boost and endurance is just a freebies.

• Boons123
    Boons123 Member Posts: 695
    Options

Remove the Endurance gained on finished healing. And move it to Buckle Up. There's no reason for the perk to grant Endurance given how much the 3% Haste already does. Buckle Up, on the other hand, is a perk that doesn't do enough. And being able to tank a hit while injured after you pick someone up would play to the perk's strengths and give it a much needed buff.

Useless suggestion

• Sharby
    edited June 2023
    Options

Just like resilience gives you value from getting injured, the risk if staying injured. If you heal every single time you get injured, you are losing a lot of pressure.

There are four times as many survivors as there are killers, arguing that the populations are the same is what is actually poor imo. The killer is also fully in control of their efficiency due to only having one person.

Sorry to say, but "mathematically broken" is a nebulous statement that doesn't mean anything. There is no threshold for how good a perk is allowed to be unless it is breaking the game, this perk is not breaking the game.

Some perks will always be the best, that's why they become meta. Forcing every perk that pops up as strong to be useless is bad game design, the devs should be releasing perks that replace the old meta ones to keep the game fresh. As long as we don't get meta changing perks every update there is no issue.

Post edited by EQWashu on
  • SirCracken
    Options

The endurance from Made For This applies to you. Not the person you picked up.

It compliments WGLF. Which you would know if you read the post properly.

• Blinckx
    Blinckx Member Posts: 426
    Options

There is no threshold for how good a perk is allowed to be unless it is breaking the game, this perk is not breaking the game.

This perk is breaking the game actually. As long one or more survivor carry this perk in a match, is an overall nerf to every killer speed. Let's say 4 people run this perk (and it's already happening ) mean that during the game the killer is always hindred in chase

Maybe ONE survivor with this perk is not a big problem but FOUR ? People often forget a perk may be not strong or not so impactuful on the game until they realize it can be used by 4 survivor at the same time. It's like BNP, sure ONE is not a big deal but FOUR ? That's why this perk is busted and broken

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,873
    Options

It's fine Imo but whatever. Let's just nerf every decent perk into the ground. This game is seriously becoming boring fast.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

I still think it's fine. The not exhausted clause is huge.

Like yes you can use certain exhaustion perks with it but look at the examples you gave. Balanced Landing? Smash hit? Those aren't exactly top notch exhaustion perks.

And even if you pair it with Lithe which is good then there is still dissynergy. Most really strong loops have vaults and having the awkward choise of having to avoid them to keep your 3% haste or use them and lose your benifit really doesn't work that well.

Now i'm not saying it isn't strong, far from it. But i do think the cons balance out the pros a bit leaving it as a strong alternative to sprint burst or other exhaustion perks without being clearly better in every situation.

Having strong alternatives isn't a bad thing. I don't believe this will knock sprint burst of it's throne but it will be used which just means a more diverse meta

• fulltonon
    edited June 2023
    Options

Balanced landing is actually pretty nice exhaustion perk, it helps survivors when they are most weak.

Comparing it to sprint burst is entirely wrong, it can increase distance they gain in every windows/pallets/powers, makes killers to reach them slower, reducing the effectiveness of lunge so killers needs to be a little closer to confirm a hit, sb can only doe second and still not even good at it... because you will most likely stop at first tile, and not get the entire value out of it.

It's basically clearly better in every situation, because unlike other exhaustion perks it works in literally every situations, and when it doesn't, no other exhaustion perks works too.

Post edited by fulltonon on
  • Mockingjay_S451
    Mockingjay_S451 Member Posts: 393
    Options

I honestly can’t believe you spent this much time on this post. There are bullet points and everything.

• SirCracken
    Options

lol this is nothing. I'm going to write a post on the problems with Knight and how to fix him in the future.

That one is going to be a full length essay.

• Sonzaishinai
    Options

Balanced landing is very strong in situations but very inconsistant and map dependent. Drop spots are not as numerous as vault locations and stuff. I believe there are certain maps that don't have drops at all.

Sorry but if you stop at the first tile after using sprint burst then you are using sprint burst wrong.

If you are caught in a dead zone sprint burst will save you 100% of the time. MfT won't. The times the 3% is going to make you reach something in a dead zone are very rare.

MfT ofcourse is way stronger then if you are in a tile. Giving the survivor a very clear edge but even then they still need to play well. A lot of mindgames still result in hits if they fall for it regardless of the 3%.

I do want to reiterate again that i don't think MfT isn't strong. It's very strong. Just imo not problomatic strong.

I honestly prefer facing it then other chase based exhaustion perks as it's at it's best in actual loops and isn't just a way to hold w for a long time

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,745
    Options

I agree. I do not understand OP post. He says you can use it with Lithe and Balance landing but the perk is disabled when you use it with Lithe and Balance landing. you are complaining about haste when the perk is disabled.

• fulltonon
    edited June 2023
    Options

MFT just works fine in dead zones though, 3% movement speed is a 20% more straight chase duration (yes you can very well run "straight" from killers, there is still big obstacles that allows you to turn around even in dead zone), which equate to 20% more distance.

And I don't believe people are using SB wrong when they used it to reach strongest tile near-by, because it makes more sense to get strongest tile than just going farthest tiles.

MfT isn't just for "in tile" neither, it works best with between tiles, when killer breaks pallet/run around the windows they can gain lot more distance, and it takes lot more to catch up, then lunge requirement is also made worse too, effectively making every pallet breaks 30-40% stronger.

I know what you are saying, and I still thinks this is problematic as heck perk, this is too little effort, it's not situational unlike any other exhaustion perks, and is also really really strong by effect itself, and even allows you to utilize second exhaustion perk (dash is a dash even if unreliable) for some reason.

I definitely prefer SB over MfT, SB doesn't ######### with lot of killer powers like mft does, doesn't make them reach lot more tiles they otherwise couldn't, and doesn't give them "free distance" of one additional loops in actual chases.

If you don't think it doesn't help with hold w, that's just wrong, it immensely helps with it, actually the most beneficial way to use MfT is "pre drop strat" because it double dips with distance gained from pallets and then time it takes to catch up.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,879
    Options

Are we forgetting that it doesn't work when exhausted?

I'd gladly take a 3% speed boost over a Sprint Burst, Lithe, Balanced or Dead Hard. And it's not really worth using with any of those because then you only get the 3% for a limited time, when it only pays when used for an entire chase.

• Seraphor
    edited June 2023
    Options

You dont "need to exhaust survivors". You just deal with this perk instead of an exhaustion perk, and it's fine. In order for 3% to pay off, you need to be looping the killer for a good 20+ seconds, and you'd make up that or more with an exhaustion perk.

• SirCracken
    Options

Again, I've already written a counter to this in my post. Here it is:

The only other requirement that Made For This has to be activated besides being injured is to not be Exhausted. This is supposed to make it so you have to choose between the constant 3% Haste of Made For This and the 150% Haste of traditional Exhaustion perks. The problem is that you can still benefit from both.

Lithe, Dead Hard, Balanced Landing and Smash Hit, can all be activated at will when their conditions are met. Which means people who use Made For This can select their Exhaustion perk of choice and run for as long as possible before activating it. Getting maximum value from the 3% Haste from Made For This before getting the 150% Haste or Endurance from the aforementioned 4 perks when the killer is close to hitting them.

You get to have your cake and eat it too. The synergy that Made For This has with Exhaustion perks is far too great.

• Seraphor
    Options

You're not getting "maximum value" of your tiny 3% haste if you're cutting it short to use an exhaustion perk. Again, it's so small that it only pays off after a prrotracted amount of time. It's not enough to get you to a loop if you're in a deadzone, or to drag out a chase by more than a second or two.

You trigger an exhaustion perk and your 3% is practically worthless.

• SirCracken
    Options

What you are describing is the worst case scenario for the survivor.

They might get ambushed at a gen and be forced to vault a nearby window to activate their lithe. In this case, they're still gaining distance on the killer. But not by too much.

The best case scenario, and the more common one by far, is that the survivor notices the killer is heading towards them and begins running. The longer they run the more value Made For This gives them. And then when it looks like the killer might catch them soon, they'll procc Lithe or Balanced Landing or Dead Hard and extend the chase even further.

How much distance they get will vary from chase to chase. But without exception each one will net them more chase time thanks to Made For This before they activate their secondary exhaustion perk.

Contrary to what you say, you don't need to run the killer for long to get value out of the extra 3% movement speed. Even getting a single extra loop at a tile is value. The problem comes from how much value you can get if you keep running. Which is completely unparalleled to every other exhaustion perk in the game.

That is why it's a problem. It gives too much for requiring so little.

• SirCracken
    Options

I've already addressed this counter-argument in my post. I'll copy and paste it since you clearly didn't read it:

The only other requirement that Made For This has to be activated besides being injured is to not be Exhausted. This is supposed to make it so you have to choose between the constant 3% Haste of Made For This and the 150% Haste of traditional Exhaustion perks. The problem is that you can still benefit from both.

Lithe, Dead Hard, Balanced Landing and Smash Hit, can all be activated at will when their conditions are met. Which means people who use Made For This can select their Exhaustion perk of choice and run for as long as possible before activating it. Getting maximum value from the 3% Haste from Made For This before getting the 150% Haste or Endurance from the aforementioned 4 perks when the killer is close to hitting them.

You get to have your cake and eat it too. The synergy that Made For This has with Exhaustion perks is far too great.

• Rareware0192
    Rareware0192 Member Posts: 360
    Options

I agree the perk is a tad bit overtuned. I feel like Boon: Dark Theory and Made For This should have their Haste numbers switched. I find it weird that a Boon perk that takes time to set up, can be destroyed by the killer, requires you to be in its radius and is all the perk does is weaker than another Haste perk that its only requirement is to be injured and not exhausted, on top of the fact that it has a secondary effect.

I would make the 3% go to Boon: Dark Theory, and give the 2% to Made For This, while giving the Endurance effect go to Buckle Up like you suggested, as I feel that’s a valid and sensible buff to a perk that honestly needs it. At this point I would remove the Exhaustion requirement for Made For This, so now it only activates when you’re injured, but you get a solid 2% Haste buff and that’s all you get.

• SirCracken
    Options

I agree.

You'd think the team oriented perk would give more haste compared to the individual oriented perk.

I'm a little bit wary about only nerfing the amount of haste that Made For This gives you. But I'll happily take a permanent 2% haste over 3%.

Also, thanks for actually reading the post! Not many people here have managed to do that...

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,745
    Options

but you do not benefit from both. you benefit from MFT when you have not used an exhaustion and after you use exhaustion perk, you benefit from using the exhaustion perk and no longer benefit from MFT. I am confused about whether your complaining about exhaustion perks or MFT. you sound like your complaining about both.

• Sonzaishinai
    Options

Using Sprint burst to go to the nearest strong tile 100% is using sprint burst wrong. What you do is go beyond that tile and then loop back around to it.

That aside let's make some quick comparrisons.

say you're working on a gen and every pallet around it has been broken. a 115 Killer shows up 5 meters within hitting distance

Without perks it will take the killer 8.3 seconds to hit you and you can make 33.3 meters of distance to find a tile

With MfT it will take the killer 10.4 seconds to hit you and you can make 41.6 meters of distance to find a tile

With sprintburst it will take the killer 18.3 seconds to hit you and you can make 79.33 meters of distance to find a tile

So yes while it helps can you see how it's not even close to the perfect safety sprint burst offers

The perk is very strong but you are severely overestimating just how strong

• mustdogen
    mustdogen Member Posts: 354
    Options
  • BooperDooper
    BooperDooper Member Posts: 266
    Options

3% boost during the game (before endgame and hope) and ignoring it's use with other haste perks, you aren't uncatchable. Even with these perks being used together you aren't uncatchable, bloodlust exists and the killer will be fast enough to catch you. I do agree that maybe it shouldn't stack with other haste perks, with 3% by itself while injured I personally think is absolutely fine and does not need to be nerfed. Strong perks exist and this is a strong perk, but not busted. Hate to see perks that are strong but not busted get nerfed because too many people complain about it. I thought we wanted a meta shift? Can we not get new strong perks for both sides without people complaining? I hope bhvr does not listen to this loud minority of players blasting this perk and do not nerf the main aspect of the perk, being 3% haste while injured. They could remove the endurance, the could remove it being able to stack with other haste perks, idrc.

• fussy
    fussy Member Posts: 1,169
    Options
  • lav3
    lav3 Member Posts: 758
    Options

I don't get how people say MfT is an Exhaustion perk.

Seriously, are they illiterate or something? You can still use the perk with BL, Lithe, DH 'until you activate it'.

Honestly this perk at least should activate Exhaustion when you are using it. But I think Haste should be deleted.

• SirCracken
    Options

You're completely ignoring what I said.

You can absolutely benefit from Made For This and other exhaustion perks at the same time. It's very simple:

• Get into chase as normal.
    • Run the killer as much as you can until injured.
    • Continue running until the killer is getting close to hitting you. Then activate your exhaustion perk of choice. E.g Lithe, Balanced Landing, Smash Hit or Dead Hard.

The longer you can keep running the more value Made For This gives you. And when that value runs out you switch to a different perk to extend the chase and capitalize on the extra distance that Made For This gave you.

You get the pros of both perks without any cons.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,238
    Options

Can I ask you something

Yall who think Made For This is truly broken... what do you think of Resilience?