The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Rework idea for Hexes and Boons

Hello everyone,

well, I guess that we can all agree, that Boons and Hexes are in a pretty rough spot right now. The tagline for Hexes, "high risk, high reward" aged like old milk and no matter of additional totem spots will really fix the game knowledge, thats now established in the community and most totems will be casually found within 1min of the game starting, barely giving any value to the killer. There are basically just two viable totem builds right now, Plaything/Pentimento and a full all-four-slots-Devour build.

Boons on the other hand started very strong with the extremely powerful and efficient CoH, which became a stable of basically any SWF and also in most soloQ matches. The power of boons always hinged on CoH as the bases, though, and basically no other boon was played alone, they were all seen as nice add-ons to CoH. There was a lot of crying about Exponential when it dropped, but that crazy fated quickly and I remember maybe a handful of matches, where survivors strangely picked themselves up, which could later be attributed to Exponential.

So, after that long preamble, how do I want to fix this? Relatively easy: all Boons have their range increased to the whole map, but give directional thunder clap, so that the killer knows which corner they are spawning in. And killers can rekindle cleansed Hexes at any dull totem or Boon totem that they snuffed (just cycle through the different Hexes with Tab and then rekindle it like Pentimento). This would give both sides a leg up, killers could counter strong Hex perks, but would have to decided if they can effort to move in that direction of the map, while survivors are forced with the option to "do bones", as destroying all for totems would deny the killer the option rekindle their totems; Bone Hunter builds would become popular again. Also, Shattered Hope would become much more intersting under this system.

Obviously some perks would have to be reworked, CoH on the whole map with too high a percentage would be broken, and Exponential would have to work on a totem system of sorts, maybe one pickup per survivor, no matter how many Exponentials there are in the trial. Likewise, a Devour Hope that could easily be rekindled would be broken af; my solution would be to lose 2 stacks upon being cleansed, and if its cleansed at 5 stacks, its gone for good. But the danger of being exposed time and again might be enough for survivors to decided to cleanse instead of bless totems, giving some slowdown.

What do you think? Knowing my crazy ideas of the past, someone will probably spot a big, glaring hole in this approach and shot it down in 1min :P With how swingy and dangerous Hexes and Boons are, I wouldn't be surprised. But you never know, maybe some Dev reads this and gets inspired to mention it in the next meeting.

Happy gaming

Comments

• JdoHybrid428
    JdoHybrid428 Member Posts: 87

It would take a lot of testing and balancing but I think it's an ok direction 👍. Definitely interesting

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,163

Thanks. Yeah, this is no out of the box patch, but more like a full on rework.

• Evan_
    Evan_ Member Posts: 542

Don't you dare touching my Hexes! They are good. They are fun. I can defend powerful ones myself, with other Hexes, or just by applying enough pressure in other areas. There are also Hexes to gain good value from cleansing - besides the time it takes. I'd hate if they started to gut them just because some killers don't like the risk of survivors affecting their powers.

I wouldn't mind if boons were more prevalent. CoH meta was hateful indeed, but I miss caring about who's doing magic and where - besides giggling a bit over the wasted time when I hear the thunder sound.

• Ariel_Starshine
    Ariel_Starshine Member Posts: 937

Yeah make boons worth using please. Killing CoH made the game somewhat boring for me.

Hexes need buffs too.