Unaliving on first hook should be bannable

Options
dbdthegame
dbdthegame Member Posts: 699
edited July 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions

There is no reason for this to still be allowed, it's just a way to circumvent the DC penalty, and doesn't even give your team a useless bot that won't do gens. This happens way too often, where a survivor doesn't like the way they go down, and simply suicides on hook instantly at 5 gens. This gives the other 3 survivors no chance to come back whatsoever.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• dbdthegame
    Options

You have an 11.5% chance to unhook yourself. That's about a 1/9 chance. It's very obvious when a player is doing it deliberately to circumvent the DC penalty. This entitlement needs to go. If you queue up for a game, expect to play the game. If you don't like how fast you went down, play better. Don't punish your team for it. And if you do something that results in the team being unable to play, you should receive a penalty.

• Boons123
    Boons123 Member Posts: 695
    Options

If I had to quit playing in order to do an important job, I would commit suicide on a hook

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

Unless everyone is slugged or hooked, there is literally no reason to attempt a kobe. Only reasons i can think off are trolling and attempting to leave the match without the dc penalty. Luck builds also don´t count, as encountering those in the wild are as high as getting matched against Twins.

So why not just remove the whole self unhook and struggle mechanic? As it just promotes toxic gameplay. Since it ruins the match for everyone else.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,412
    Options

While the DC penalties are still in place, and they do seem intent on keeping them, I'm not certain anything can be done.

There's also the part of lots of parks, add-ons, and challenges they'd have to change. That alone is more work than players realize. There's also the minor part of dedicated builds and playstyles around it.

• GHOSTfaceP3
    GHOSTfaceP3 Member Posts: 1,363
    Options

Bc perks let you free yourself plus removing it would be a net negative, a lot of people would just leave the game

• dbdthegame
    Options

People would leave the game if suiciding on hook wasn't a thing? I haven't heard that one before. I sure didn't hear it for COH, Dead Hard, DS, medkits, now MFT... It seems like people will leave game for just about any reason.

• biggybiggybiggens
    biggybiggybiggens Member Posts: 646
    Options

I would agree with this so long as they also make slugging for the 4th not possible. No reason why I should have to have my time wasted on the ground just because the Killer is feeling themselves and wants 4 kills.. Especially when 3 kills is a win... Why do they need a 4th?

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,334
    Options

And make the problem even worse in the process. Bots aren't a substitute for real players.

How about instead of allowing free ways out of the match we actually hold players acountable for queueing up? I can only repeat myself but if you don't want to play the game, then don't play the game.

• MDRSan
    MDRSan Member Posts: 298
    Options

RE: #3, I had a funny moment in a match the other day. Given the situation - our hook states, how the match was going, my stubborn insistence on going for saves, etc. I'm pretty sure the Mikaela DC'd so I could have hatch.

The result? I got death hooked and robo-Mikaela got hatch. lol.

• Chadku
    Chadku Member Posts: 729
    Options
    1. Boot up PC/Console
    2. Start Steam
    3. Start DbD
    4. Choose Role - Character - Loadout
    5. Start looking for match
    6. Ready up for match
    7. See Offering Screen (dc without penalty)
    8. Match starts and it´s against "x"
    9. Disconnect and leave a bot behind
    10. Repeat steps 4 to 8 until you finally got that one match where it´s going to your favor.

Maybe introduce a morality/salt system which after a certain regularity of dcs will make you matchmake with quitters as well?

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,729
    Options

Because you refuse to play out the match you agreed to by queuing up?

• Ryuhi
    edited July 2023
    Options

Why do you think the penalty was even put in place? Again, you are allowed to leave and the game doesnt even require pulling the plug or closing the process in task manager, there's a sanctioned way out... yet it comes with a penalty because it disrupts the game for other players. I dont understand why this community is so obsessed with taking their ball and leaving.

Post edited by EQWashu on
  • Ryuhi
    Options

which are against ToS, so they should be reported and punished accordingly. Hookicides are only allowed because the devs refuse to put in a way to tell them apart. The "problem" is entitlement, which there is no cure for, so all you can do is discourage it (hence the penalty.) I understand plenty, and this is literally the only game I ever see such vehement defense of abusing ways to refuse to play, let alone openly skirting a penalty for doing so.

• Ryuhi
    Options

griefing/sandbagging are against the ToS, which are your stated fallbacks for if hookicides were removed. and for the last time, there is no forcing when there is a disconnect button. All there is is the consequences of your own actions.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,353
    edited July 2023
    Options

It’s very difficult to prove though which is why BHVR seldom enforces that rule. You just never really know in a game where toxicity is inborn when a person is intentionally griefing or sandbagging.

• JonOzzie16
    JonOzzie16 Member Posts: 203
    Options

I've been thinking about it and I'm kind of torn now. Hook suicides do no one any favors. But if they are removed, can you imagine how people would play? They would straight up sandbag, go AFK, lead the killer to teammates, etc.

At the end of the day, the killer had to down them, carry them to a hook and hook them. Survivors may have gotten half a gen done by that time. At least it's something.

• Rudjohns
    Rudjohns Member Posts: 1,763
    Options
  • Moonras2
    Moonras2 Member Posts: 262
    edited July 2023
    Options

While I personally have no problem with letting go on hook there are a couple things that might help if you wonder on whether they are 4%ing or not.

1. They have more than 3 tries, means they are using perks to aid the 4%.

2. Often times they'll try twice if someone is nearby and then stop if it didn't work. I do this just to see if I can get it because I know I'll be saved before I reach 2nd stage anyway.

3. Some people just don't know not to do it if they are new.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,130
    edited July 2023
    Options

Because it happens 20 seconds into the match? Better question is, why is the stupid 4% mechanic even in the game to begin with? Its a dumb mechanic that makes it so a match can be entirely decided by RNG. Same with the struggle mechanic. Both should go IMO because they allow for this type of thing, and there isn't anything lost by having them removed.

Things like deliverance are fine because it isn't RNG based, but i think the entire luck mechanic should be reworked or removed, along with perks like slippery meat.

• Reinami
    edited July 2023
    Options

Right, so you are actively circumventing a mechanic to discourage you from quitting the game. Especially in a world where they just added bots to deal with that. They should ban people for doing this because if you really want out, you take the penalty like you deserve, because you ruined the game for all 4 other players because of that.

• Boons123
    Boons123 Member Posts: 695
    edited July 2023
    Options

I am in a good match and help my team and in the middle of the match I had to leave it and at the same time I do not want to lose all the effort in that match so the best solution is suicide on the hook

So I get blood point that from a match and went to my business

Therefore, there is no fraud to exit the match and try to enter another match directly

• Ayodam
    Options

It’s in the game so that if a survivor goes down 20 seconds into a match they have some chance of resolving the issue because 1.) It shouldn’t be up to other players (killers or survivors) whether you get to play the game or not & 2.) If there is a small chance you can escape death you may play with less abandon.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,907
    Options

The first hook is not the problem; the second stage hook is.

There are perks survivors can use to free themselves with (notably Slippery Meat, Up the Ante and Deliverence). Some may use it to kill themselves, but the likelihood of putting a blanket ban on freeing themselves from the hook doesn't make any sense. If someone wants to kill themselves, then they will just go afk. Some people would choose those perks and want to use them to escape by themselves.

Therefore, more to annoy those weaker players who do want to disconnect, simply removing struggle skill-checks from the second hook would be a far better alternative.

Whatever happens, a survivor who wants to die without disconnecting will do it anyway, even if going afk or running towards the killer for a quick death. There's nothing that will outright stop this, but there are things that can be done to make this act far less enjoyable. When I'm killer and see a suicider, I just slug them and leave them to rot.

• I_CAME
    I_CAME Member Posts: 1,138
    edited July 2023
    Options

What they need to do is keep DC penalties but make the harshest punishments less harsh. No one should ever be banned for more than one hour. People might be more incentivized to DC if they weren't worried about absurd penalties stacking up. That and remove skill checks from stage 2.

• dbdthegame
    Options

Right, it's a game not marriage. If you change your mind, you don't need to hire a lawyer. There's already a feature in place that's called Disconnect where you can eat a penalty and leave the game instantly.

If a survivor isn't actively contributing to advancing the game (aka AFK at hook, AFK in a corner, chasing killer to get killed etc.) then that should be reportable as well. Let's toss it all under one umbrella and make the reports require video evidence. There you go, each case can be inspected individually.

"I should be able to leave any game I don't like penalty free with no regard for anyone else's time" This entitlement is unreal.

• Ayodam
    Options

And if you’re playing killer, you know you’ve just hooked a survivor, they’re freed and run right at you then wait? Or you slug them, see them up again and they’re once again in your face wanting you to basically help them leave the match.

• Reinami
    Options

Then you are playing the wrong game or at least the wrong side. That is entirely what the killer and survivor dynamic is designed to be. Survivor tries to do X and killer tries to stop them by taking away their ability to do anything. That's just how the game is.

• Ariel_Starshine
    Ariel_Starshine Member Posts: 937
    edited July 2023
    Options

If it was bannable they'd probably have a really small player base. While throwing a match isn't kind, it happens unfortunately.

If they got rid of depipping it might make it a bit better.

Also if I spend over five minutes kiting the killer and no generators go off, they are also throwing the match, so...what do you do about that? Am I to get unhooked and do all that again just for nothing to get done? Works both ways really.