Why do they do this to perks

Options
Boons123
Boons123 Member Posts: 695
edited September 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions

Why do they release a perk that has high requirements and then release another perk that offers the same benefits as the previous perk, but with lower requirements and is very easy, or vice versa?

This is a problem that no one talks about

I will give an example of a killer and an example of a survivor to clarify my words further

For the killers:

THWACK!

-You need to put the survivor on a hook to activate it

-The next time you destroy pallets or a breakable wall, any survivor within 32 meters of you will scream and reveal their aura to you.

Ultimate Weapon

-Just open the Locker to have it activated for 30 and any survivors within the Terror Radius will scream and suffer the blindness effect for 30.

For survivor :

Teamwork:Collective Stealth

-Another survivor must heal you, and then you have a cooldown period of 140 seconds. You must also stay close to each other at a distance of 12 metres ,also, if one of you is injured by any means, perk will be deactivated, and all this is just to hide the scratch marks.

Boon:Shadow Step

-Bless Totem only so that everyone will benefit and hide their aura from the killer and hide the scratch marks as well. All you have to do is find Totem.

Developers should stop doing this contradiction: "Why are they so careful not to let perks get out of control and kill them with restrictions and numbers, and at the same time create perks with the same benefits, but with easy or even very easy requirements?"

Post edited by Boons123 on

Comments

• Venusa
    Venusa Member Posts: 1,464
    Options

Yeah I don't understand it either.

No reason for me to run any other tracking perk when Ultimate Weapon is available now...

No reason why anybody should run Boon:Dark Theory when MFT exists...

So many perks that make another obsolete/out-dated.

• Boons123
    Options

This is the first time I see you agreeing with me on something

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,932
    Options

they test balance on iteration of previous perks. if the perk is not really used or sucks, they don't buff old perk, they invent new perk that is stronger then previous one. each perk though has different intention behind them so while they provide similar benefits, they may have different goal behind them but you cannot see goal behind the perk because the perk might under-stated or implemented in a way where it is weak.

• Boons123
    Options
  • averagemikaelamain
    Options
  • Boons123
    Options

Yes, I hope so, because if they continue this, they will kill more perks and will be forgotten

I mean, what's the point of making more perks if there's a much better alternative? It's a waste of effort and time

• Chadku
    Chadku Member Posts: 729
    Options

I always thought TWACK! should speed up the breaking speed by idk 100%? once for every hook + scream.

Then it would have a reason for the limitation + being an interesting option to Ultimate Weapon.

• Boons123
    Options
  • Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 8,985
    Options

Shadow Step came out before the Teamwork perks.

• Quizzy
    Quizzy Member Posts: 860
    Options

It simply depends on your playstyle. They may have the same effect, but they will cause you to play in dfferent ways. Thwack gives you a more precise info, with a specific condition to be met, on a survivors location with the aura reveal unlike ultimate weapon. The latter does give more info with no effort, but a scream alone wont help you predict where the survivor will move without the aura reveal.

But i do agree that ult weapon is obviously stronger tho. But every perk that may have the same effect still causes you to play slighlty different.

• Boons123
    Options

I don't think it depends on your playing style. The first you need to hook the survivor , and you may face great difficulty just to fulfill this condition, and in order to use it once, you need another hook to activate it.

The other only requires opening a locker and activating it for 30 seconds and everyone will scream

So the first requires a condition that you are actually seeking, and the other requires only 1.5 seconds of your time

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,134
    Options

THWACK! and Ultimate Weapon are not at all an example of this, they're an example of a much more fair perk design idea: High reward high cost, low reward low cost.

THWACK! has much stronger info, but activates in more strict scenarios. Ultimate Weapon has much worse info, but activates much more frequently. Players gravitate towards whatever is easier to utilise most frequently, so UW is the better pick (and would be even without that as THWACK! is honestly pretty weak despite having the stronger form of info), but they aren't the same perk at all.

Honestly, they're not even that similar? THWACK! has a lot more in common with Face the Darkness, as they're both tracking perks that utilise auras after a scream, whereas Ultimate Weapon is much more similar to Darkness Revealed due to being tracking perks that work after opening a locker. They're all tracking perks, sure, but they aren't the only tracking perks and there's only so many actions in the game that could be used to trigger them.

The even better example than Collective Stealth is Power of Two, btw. That's literally just Blood Pact with fewer requirements. It doesn't happen that frequently in this game but it has happened a few times, you could argue Haddie's Inner Focus is also a weaker Empathy/Bond-- but I'd argue that being a weaker version of two perks in one makes it a liiiittle more acceptable.

• Quizzy
    Quizzy Member Posts: 860
    Options

What you just described is a playstyle. Some players are chase oriented. So they focus on hooks as a main priority to be rewarded from thwack.

Other players may be info oriented where they do a secondary objective like open a locker etc to get value.

Regardless, both are different playstyles because you are a making 2 different choices at the time to get different values from a perk

• Boons123
    Options

I'm talking about the difference between restricting and killing perks and at the same time making perks that offer the same benefits and are very easy

Also, making everyone scream just because you opened a hacker and revealed their locations is not considered bad information

If you do not find them, just open the locker and you will find them very easily. Hiding is almost dead

As for THWACK! You can use it once and you will need another hook, and you cannot use it as desired because sometimes you will have to break pallets or breakable walls. whether you need this information or not

So that's my point why Ultimate Weapon gets freedom of use and barely any restrictions while THWACK! It had a chance to have a good usage rate, but the developers chose to kill it with unnecessary restrictions for fear of it getting out of hand.

This applies to all Perks

• Boons123
    Options

Well, if I wanted to play an undercover killer, I would choose the undercover killers

If I want to become a healer for my team, I will choose healing perks

But both THWACK! Ultimate Weapon provides the same information, which is screaming, so your gameplay will not change because you want to find survivors to kill them

And now THWACK! It provides better information, but with heavy restrictions, and sometimes you may not need this information. However, you are forced to break pallets or breakable walls . (Oh no! I need another hook)

As for Ultimate Weapon, it is available as needed and almost kills hiding

You use information perks to find survivors faster so where does this change the gameplay?

This is like saying that using Botanical Knowledge has a special gameplay and using Boon: Circle of Healing has a special gameplay too

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,134
    Options

When I say worse information, I mean the screams themselves. I'm not saying they're useless, obviously, but they are dramatically less useful than auras. That's why THWACK! was given more of a requirement; it gives you the much stronger form of info, in the form of seeing the survivor's auras.

Ultimate Weapon is stronger than THWACK!, but that's not because of what it does. What it does - makes the survivor scream then inflicts Blindness - is strictly weaker than what THWACK! does. It's stronger because THWACK! has too many requirements and just won't be that commonly activated, and because Ultimate Weapon kinda doesn't have enough requirements + is active for way too long.

The point that they're not actually that similar outside of being tracking perks stands, though. Also, the devs obviously didn't "decide to kill" any perk, they just made a poor balancing decision. Big difference between those two things.