The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

We're going on 5 months that MFT is still unchanged

Comments

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Uh, no. It hurts sloppy plays because it can't bail you out. For example, you get mindgamed at a loop, you are now even closer to the Killer. You also don't have perks like SB to bail you out of bad positioning.

That is, once again, taking things in a vacuum. Your teammates may have already dropped that pallet. It may have not spawned in the first place. The Killer could have any number of perks. It could be any number of Killers.

Instead, you made the scenario as bad as possible for the Killer and as good as possible for the Survivor to try to prove a point.

• EQWashu
    EQWashu Member, Mod Posts: 5,019

Stepping in here to post a quick reminder to please keep the discussion civil, and on the topic of the thread. Thank you.

• rvzrvzrvz
    rvzrvzrvz Member Posts: 940

In my games gen speed is still the problem not MFT, take 4 good loopers/gen efficient players without MFT and you will still lose easily more often than not

honestly they will nerf MFT very soon and problem will remain with another meta, people should ask for resilience and toolbox nerfs, you overestimate mft, that nerf will only help slightly

• Pulsar

You camp, you tunnel, you create deadzones, you create a web, you force Survivors into said web, you hold a 3-gen, you identify the weakest link, you don't chase people into bad areas of the map, you eliminate strong pallets early.

There's any number of things you could do. Not all of them are fun, but as you've said, playing against four good players with MFT's isn't fun for you either. Match their energy.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,693

MFT and WoO are literally the corner stones of the meta.

I don't know why you'd waste any time arguing over it.

• Pulsar

I don't think so, no.

You'd need to do all those things as Trapper against a good team regardless of MFT's precense in a match.

• Pulsar

Well, I mean it's true and I feel it's important to point out.

Elsewise we get things like Self-Care or Old PGTW getting nerfed.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,915

I asked it because there are several players that think that mft is fine.

• radiantHero23

Pop was still good.

I used it a bunch on killers like demo.

Ruin would be a better example.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,408

Just want to jump in here and say Trapper is a bad example for MFT. He doesn't care about MFT. MFT is a wasted perk slot for the survivor. Also don't care about DH. Its literally a non-issue with Trapper, and pretty much Trapper only.

Now, any other killer might feel MFT. The ranged killers might even have to fiddle with its interaction. But its not a big deal for them either.

Point is, MFT is busted, but only against some killers. This warrant a nerf? Probably. But the 3% (20%) is just BS. IMO anyway. If you notice they have MFT and made a play that extends the chase by 200-300%, stop chasing them. IF they all have it, weakest link?

Those are the fixes I've heard on here, and they aren't fixes. Dropping a survivor due to a single perk is kind of silly. So if BHVR is watching, and this is the case, maaaaybe something should be done.

Personally, the fact they gave consistent MS bonus on a perk is insane and irresponsible on BHVR's part. This whole debacle is on BHVR, yet we're flaming one another.

Go play Trapper. Never lose another game to MFT again.

• Pulsar

Old Ruin was unhealthy though.

I was using SC and PGTW as examples of perks that were nerfed simply for being meta and therefore having high usage rates.

• Pulsar
    edited October 2023

I did not say that.

I said that if you play against four good players, you'll have to employ some unpleasant strategies if you want to win. That's the truth of lower-tier Killers, whether or not the Survivors have MFT.

I do not think we should nerf perks for being popular unless it's egregiously popular.

• BubbaDredge
    BubbaDredge Member Posts: 815

I don't care about it one way or the other, but it does encourage killers to hit the one being healed rather than the healer. That's often tunneling.

BT discourages tunneling, but then MFT comes along, cancels the BT and says "I changed my mind, now the correct play is to tunnel or else I get to play super-survivor."

It's one thing if a killer brings perks to tunnel or camp with, but when survivors are doing it, that's forcing the killer's hand in a way that maybe neither side wanted. Seems unhealthy.

• Pulsar

BT doesn't even really discourage tunneling. If I hit them right off of hook, they really aren't making THAT much distance and now they can't use DH or Syringes/Styptics.

But yes, I see your point. I don't think it's super impactful (assuming both players have MFT) because either way the Killer needs to go through two healthstates.

• radiantHero23

Im sorry if i misunderstood that.

Maybe as´k yourself why Mft is so popular.

It IS also egregiously popular. It became the second most popular survivor perk in what, 5 months???? I see it every game. It is super unfun to play against, it encourages unfun gameplay and it is, in fact, too strong.

Why do you defend this perk?

• radiantHero23
    edited October 2023
  • Pulsar

That's on me, I should've been more specific.

Original Ruin.

• Pulsar

Why is it popular?

Well, it's a strong perk. It's not often Survivors come with good perks. Usually they're either mid, meme or just straight up bad.

Content creators have been going ballistic over it for months. That's definitely got something to do with it.

Definitely because some people go ballistic when they see it in game and give reactions.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,113

that is what Pulsar is talking about. all the perks you named are what Pulsar described in his post which are perks that are mid, meme or straight bad. You don't see any of those perks because.... they're mid. that is why your complaining about MFT because it is strong perk that making you lose and you find that problematic.

• dbdthegame
    dbdthegame Member Posts: 699

Reassurance is commonly agreed on as being an S tier perk. Not so much now that anti facecamp will be in the game, but it had a year to make it to 25% usage rate. Why didn't it?

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,607

Because it's niche.

Pure strength isn't the only thing that governs pickrate. There's also consistency, ease of use, and most crucially, what the perk actually affects. MFT affects chase, directly, and while it isn't easy to use it is very consistent; you'll almost always get the Haste unless the killer has anti-Exhaustion.

The only thing on your list that should have a high pickrate, according to the combo of strength, chase-focus, and consistency, is Troubleshooter, and admittedly I have no idea why that perk isn't more popular. It's comparably strong, much easier to use, and actually helps if you're not a super strong looper on top of helping solo queue more than SWF.

At a guess, I think MFT just overshadowed it. Troubleshooter doesn't have this discourse storm whipped up around it, so people overlook it more. That's just a guess, though.

• appleas
    appleas Member Posts: 1,122

And some people thought that MFT was just going to be like Reassurance in pick rate a few months back.

What a joke.

• Pulsar

It's only S-tier under certain circumstances.

Generally though, you need coordinated uses of it. You just do not get that in your average DBD game. Your teammates can't be getting off gens to get save, it can't be any number of Killers, it can't be in basement etc etc

It's a great perk in comp and in very specific circumstances in pubs, but because of its situational-ness, I can't say it's above a B-tier perk.

• mizark3
    mizark3 Member Posts: 2,219

The counter is mix in a moonwalk, a reverse direction, or fully use power (Trickster) or fake it (Hag). The Killers you listed are short enough that they can hide their movements, and if the rock is too short then Trickster doesn't care because he throws knives over the rock. On Friday night I got hit by Trickster knives over a rock I thought was way too high to hit over, but ~6ft average Survivor height is short enough to get knives over the top due to the pill hitbox and every Survivor having Jeff's model as their 'actual' hitbox.

• mizark3

Then why should it matter what perks they run lmao. If you have such a doom and gloom mindset that the enemies are always better than you, why play multiplayer games at all, and not just stick to single-player games? Have this mindset going into games and you'll win.

• mizark3

I'm sorry you've never learned how to improve over ~7 years, best of luck in finding out how to do so in the future (that is if you even care to, I know some people have a perpetual victim complex and want to be the victim just enough to be allowed to complain, but not enough to actually affect them).

I'm just saying you gave an easily winnable scenario (Trickster/Hag rock) and I gave you the solution, and you essentially stuck your fingers in your ears and essentially said 'lalalalalala its impossible I don't care'.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,113

mid-tier perk. it is not very good.

• reassurance relies on killer to play in a specific way otherwise it is empty perk. Situational
    • It has very short range and it has associated time cost to use it. Killer that are dangerous near hook make the perk risky to use.
    • gen-speed perk are stronger counter to camping. The alternative perks are better.

those are my guesses to why the perk is not popular. if there was a popular anti-camping perk, it would likely be kinship except that perk has major restrictions that make not very good because it requires coordination to use. if kinship had no range restrictions and immediately activated after being hooked, maybe you would see that as S-tier 25% pick-rate anti-camping perk. At the same time, I am not sure as it has never really been tested.

• AmpersandUnderscore
    AmpersandUnderscore Member Posts: 1,661

The problem that all of those perks have is inconsistency.

Nearly all of them are useless if you get tunneled from the start of the game, especially if you don't get to touch gens all game.

You can't rely on being healthy or getting to finish most of a gen uninterrupted, there's always that chance you get found first and just won't get to use your perk(s).

• Rovend
    Rovend Member Posts: 1,063

But i dont see any of those perks to be strong at all. Some can be useful if you hit that perfect scenario where the perk can shine but most are inconsistent, situational or just doesnt provide too much value to be strong or meta.

Reassurance is the best anti-camping perk(out of two) but its short range and the unnecesary nerf it got from ptb really set it back. It's very situational to get value from it.

Troubleshooter requires you to be in a map with lots of palets and on top of that, you need to be in a loop with high walls for it to be useful, on top of be facing a non-stealth killer so that it cannot block the aura read, on top of you not being affected with blindness from perks like UW which are popular. So it is very inconsistent.

Dramaturgy is a gamble perk. It is literally the definition of inconsistent. And with how nerfed most survivors items are today one is always hoping to get a toolbox just to get a broken key or a green map.

Fogwise gets hard countered by stealth killers and fearmonger, and even when not, the info isnt that useful to begin with. If it is a non-stealth killer you will hear the terror radius if he is approaching you, and the HUD will probably tell you if it is chasing another surv. For what it does i'd say Alert is objectively better since it doesnt require you to be on a gen doing perfect skill checks.

And Chemical trap mostly shines on god pallets, which if you are already using them you dont really need to use the trap when you can run another chase perk and make more distance.

Not saying these are bad perks, but nowhere near strong.

• radiantHero23

Its still the second most popular perk on survivor side. In the time its been out, thats impressive.

It also doesnt minimize the aspekt of the perk being unfun to play against and making one of dbd´s problems, maps, stand out even more.

It deserves the nerf that is eventually coming for it. Wether thats the endurance part being gone or the haste being nerfed / deleted. I personally am more for the second part, because i encourage altruistsic plays. Dbd - survivor is a team game after all. And because of the reasons i stated above on why the haste is unhealthy for the game.

I have to ask again, why do you defend this perk?

• zarr
    zarr Member Posts: 919

I agree that MFT is problematic, but it isn't as problematic as it is sometimes being made out to, either. While it isn't like it doesn't do anything for an average player, I think an average survivor will much of the time be better off using something like Sprint Burst or Overcome, which are much easier to get good value out of than MFT. An average player doesn't plan chases ahead very much, nor do they have an intimate familiarity with maps, tile spawns and even the distances they can make relative to the killer, let alone factoring in Bloodlust. An average player even with MFT will often be forced (forcing themselves or let themselves be forced) to play a tile and get mindgamed on it. It does take a reasonably advanced player to really utilize MFT to its full effect, as compared to other Exhaustion perks one could be using instead. Although I will say that Windows Of Opportunity plus Made For This (and Resilience, to a lesser extent) can make even a very average survivor fairly difficult to catch, because depending on the map, they can just run pallet-to-pallet and force you to break most of them if they are safe enough. And if you try to mindgame tiles where line of sight is broken, this may well allow even a lesser survivor to make a lot of distance by simply leaving the tile on a lucky gamble, which is less risky with MFT because even if the killer catches on quickly to the survivor having left the tile, with MFT they can not seldomly make the next one regardless.

Which leads me to the next point however, which is that chase perks arguably are categorically weaker than macrogame perks, so to have a meta where even average survivors invest up to 4 perk slots into chase play is not necessarily a bad thing. There are a lot of game scenarios where chase perks simply don't do anything for you. When the game revolves around hook and generator defense or hit-and-run playstyles, the interactions you have with a killer seldomly constitute actual chases. More often than not, you will be caught or forced out of position, taking hits being unavoidable, having to aggressively pressure objectives and not having the killer just chase after you for prolonged periods of time. In these and similar macrogame scenarios, perks that help you do gens and heal faster and more reliably, to coordinate better and have more information, or get out of tricky situations (second-chance perks or in fact Exhaustion perks like Sprint Burst that as opposed to MFT can allow you to get out of dodge quickly when you are otherwise outpositioned) are much more valuable than chase perks which regularly don't do much of anything here.

Further, there are quite a few instances where MFT doesn't do anything because the killer has an instadown ability or add-on or perk. Exhaustion-causing killer add-ons and perks are regularly also more detrimental for MFT than they are for other Exhaustion perks, because with the latter as soon as you recover Exhaustion you can use them to their full effect, whereas it might already be too late to really benefit from MFT at that point. Even more notably, MFT doesn't do much against the strongest killers, particularly Nurse, Blight and Spirit don't care too much at all about it, again positioning MFT as an arguably categorically less beneficial perk because the strongest killers are precisely those you even rely on perks to help you compete against as they lack reliable base counterplay. Granted, this is actually more so a point against MFT, it being particularly problematic for M1 killers that already are comparatively less strong.

Even Otzdarva (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVIEc7sE-20) who conducted an experiment in which he faced some really good survivor players (some of whom are generally regarded as the best 1v1 survivor players period, such as St1v1 and ivan) in 1v1 chases as an M1 killer with and without MFT to compare how much of an impact it has argues that the 3% isn't too problematic. Unfortunately the VoDs of those chases have by now been deleted and I couldn't find anyone having noted down the times either, but I trust that Otz ran the numbers and so it can't possibly have been too much of a disparity for him to come to the conclusion that this aspect of MFT generally is fine even when facing the best of players. What additionally factors into this is the fact that other Exhaustion perks which can prolong chases quite a bit as well cannot easily or at all be used alongside MFT, so really a more fair comparison would be having chases with MFT versus chases with, say, SB, Lithe or Overcome.

I would agree with Otz that the Endurance effect pushes the perk over the top, and that Haste stacking is problematic. Although it is really only Hope that it is problematic alongside of, so rather than make already gimmicky and weak perks like Dark Theory and Teamwork: Power Of Two even worse, they should simply make it so that Hope specifically doesn't stack with other instances of Haste.

I also think Exhaustion stacking is a bit more of an issue than he makes it out to be. I think if one thing is interesting about MFT, it's that it really mixes up the meta by challenging the Exhaustion perk paradigm, which have historically been the most consistent staple in the game. So the fact that you can use a perk like Dead Hard or Balanced Landing alongside MFT to use if needed is a bit too much. I would welcome a change where MFT simply causes Exhaustion all match long, itself then obviously not being affected by Exhaustion anymore however.

My nerf suggestions then would be to remove the Endurance effect altogether and make the perk cause constant Exhaustion, as well as making it not stack with Hope. Alternatively, I could see simple numerical nerfs work out too, that being reducing the Endurance duration to 5 seconds and the movement speed boost to 2%.

• mizark3

In this post I went through Hens's chases with Otz. Many people were pointing out the change in chase time after hit, but many seemed to conveniently forget that MfT doesn't work while healthy. That means the healthy chases are without MfT just as much as the injured chases without it were. With that, Hens' MfT chases averaged 93.5s, and the non-MfT chases averaged 106s. The threat of death likely causes performance anxiety, or excess greed, due to thinking MfT makes you 'invulnerable', even in the 'best' of players.

• radiantHero23

That i agree with.

A strong effect shouls come with heavy downsides. MfT currently rewards you for being injured with two very strong effects.

• zarr
    zarr Member Posts: 919

Right, that Hens video is all I could find myself, apart from singular chases uploaded by St1v1 and ivan. I chose not to even mention it because there's really only 1 usable chase without MFT in it, the other no-MFT chase Hens simply made mistakes in the healthy part of it that positioned him for a bad ensuing chase, it is definitely an outlier and the sample size here is much too low to begin with even if it weren't.

I do find it interesting that you compared all no-MFT chases against all MFT chases (so including the healthy part of the MFT chases in comparisons), but even then the sample size is much too low, and we also have to keep in mind that an injured survivor is generally easier to catch than a healthy survivor, due to being easier to keep track of. Ideally they would have simply started all chases injured from the get-go. (Then again, this would never be the fairest of comparisons anyway, because MFT users forgo the use of other Exhaustion perks that players otherwise regularly use and that can extend chases quite a bit as well.)

I'm sure Otz still has those numbers from all of the chases for this experiment somewhere, someone could ask him about that. But yeah, again, given that his conclusion after all of that ended up being that the Haste effect in regular chaseplay is overall fine I can't imagine the chase time disparity was too great.

I would be cautious with saying it "rewards" you for being injured, because it's obviously not like someone using MFT wants to be injured, it is still much more beneficial to be healthy. This is obvious when you think of the fact that No Mither doesn't suddenly become a beneficial perk just because you can use MFT alongside it. Same as NOED doesn't "reward" you for getting into the endgame - getting into the endgame isn't something killers want to have happen, they would of course prefer to never get there in the first place. So this quality of these perks activating in otherwise precarious scenarios isn't problematic, because it's not like it incentivizes or makes beneficial bad plays, such as giving the killer free hits or letting survivors finish generators. Those are still strictly detrimental for the respective player, whether they use MFT/NOED or not.

But yes, MFT has a really potent chase effect, and the downside of not being able to use Exhaustion perks alongside it which also are really potent in chases would make that much more healthy, not least because it would make the meta more diverse. The Endurance effect on the other hand is honestly just overtuned, and it feels very deliberately so, in a sense of BHVR probably having gone "Okay, 3% Haste already makes this perk really strong, but we want to create a bonafide metagame-changer here, so let's tack something on top that pushes it over the top".

That said, at 2% Haste, I honestly believe that the Endurance effect (albeit at 5 seconds) is necessary to keep the perk meta-relevant, which is what we should want. 2% is only 13.9% of the speed differential between killers and survivors, as opposed to current MFT's 20%. Dark Theory already tells us that this is not all that strong. I have even used tier 2 MFT which only grants 2%, and it reallly is decidedly less impactful than 3%.

• WilliamSN
    WilliamSN Member Posts: 524

No... those perks aren't "Mid" they are the epitome of what dbd perks should be, alternative abilities you get after completing a certain action, alternatively, if the effect is akin to a basekit buff it should be relatively minor, but worth the slot to bring.

Problem is, survivors only consider perks to be "good" if they are beyond busted.

Let's go over some examples of fundamentally healthy and good perks -

Autodidact

Background Player

Bond

Chemical trap

Decisive strike

empathy

Kindred

Smash Hit

Flashbang

wiretap

etc.

These perks follow the proper balance philosophy of alt abilities or minor basekit buffs that are still worth using.

Now examples of perks that are fundamentally unhealthy but considered "good" by survivors -

MFT

Buckle up

Hope

Resi

Adren

WOO

etc.

Do you notice the pattern here? Survivors only consider perks to be "good" when they essentially turn dbd into easy mode.

Run faster, vault faster and do everything else also faster, Pick your teammate up and be invincible for 10 seconds, have ESP on every single tile so you can artificially path better, get a free healthstate after your team pops all the gens , etc etc... and they all come at the requirement of either *Load into the match* or *be inevitably hit*.

• jesterkind

What on earth is fundamentally unhealthy about WoO? I'd buy that it having a super high pickrate could be kind of unhealthy in that it stifles variety, but that's not actually related to what the perk does.

The only thing it even does beyond what general map knowledge and human eyes would also provide is tell you when a teammate has dropped a pallet, which is a pretty fair effect for a perk that is completely deleted by a relatively common status effect.

• WilliamSN

WOO quite literally just needs to be reverted to 3.0.0 with the Cooldown after dropping pallets / Vaulting or some other activation requirement to have it up.

A permanent and freest of free GPS guidance system to all the resources on the map just removes skill expression and prevents killer from being able to effeciently deadzone a survivor.

Nobody considers themselves "outplayed in chase" if the other person is running MFT+Resi+WOO because its just auto-pilot DBD.

• jesterkind

But it's not like those resources are hidden. You can see them with your human eyes, WoO is just a little more convenient and means you don't have to keep such a running tally of where which resource is. It's nice, but it's hardly even all that better than not bringing it, let alone fundamentally unhealthy.

I also don't see why WoO would be considered unhealthy, when a perk with the same general design but much higher potency is in your healthy list. Bond also shows you relevant info while within a certain radius of it, but what it shows is something you won't know without some perk or source of aura reading to show it to you. Why is Bond considered healthy here, but WoO is considered a fundamentally unhealthy "easy mode" perk?

• WilliamSN
    edited October 2023

You're grouping the 2 aura perks as if they do the same thing.

Being told where your teammate is doesn't make your pathing in chase better the effect is considerably weaker than WOO.

Being told where a random pallet / Window you didn't know existed is, allows you to b-line to it and extend the chase even though you didn't actually deserve it.

And yes, often windows and pallets *are* hidden from view, the Wiki video literally showcases this effect.

https://deadbydaylight.fandom.com/wiki/Windows_of_Opportunity#3.0.0