Visible MMR as an incentive for good players

v1rtual
v1rtual Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 4

Hi,

I feel like quite a bit of the sentiment I hear on twitter and among friends is that the matchmaking in this game makes it too easy if you're playing at a high level. I feel like if MMR was visible, and if we had a leaderboard of some kind, that would add a really big incentive for veteran players to try and once again grind the game.

Comments

• Raconteurminator
    Raconteurminator Member Posts: 618

If it was only your own MMR that you could see, that'd be pretty neat.

• RpTheHotrod
    RpTheHotrod Member Posts: 1,863

Definitely no. Visible MMR and leaderboarda always bring out the worst in a community. It means everyone is heavily encouraged to play as sweaty and aggressive as possible. It would gut casual gameplay as well as killers who play nicer for the survivors. Also, leaderboards are almost always guaranteed to be topped by exploiters/cheaters. They want their names in lights. If you do leaderboards, DBD is going to get infested with more cheating than it already has.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,669
    edited November 2023

I think it's fine to not see it. This only brings out elitism in the community, which we don't need on top of the good ol' "us vs. them" discussions. Worse, people would disregard anyone's feedback as long they don't prove they are at least at a certain MMR. Thanks but no thanks. I've no interest in sweating or playing with perks I dislike just so I don't get mocked by a fraction of players that play in SWFs or play the strongest killers to give themselves every possible advantage to win games, that they can't win by individual skill.

Contrary to what some popular streamers say, I don't think that many of us are actually in high MMR (I certainly hope that I'm not, because that would be concerning, considering that many players I go against aren't all that great) and I'd argue that even some of those streamers might not be quite so high up themselves. Peanits confirmed a while ago that most of us players are somewhere in the middle of the MMR distribution, which is more believable to me than what someone with a vague understanding of the whole system and no official data to back it up says.

Otz said something among the lines of: "BHVR want all of us to feel like we're the best players in the world.", which is honestly a pretty decent goal, because it helps many players to cope with bad matches and others to feel good about themselves, when the invisible number considers them only an average player. This is a good decision in my book. No use to make players feel bad because their number is not in the top 5% or they can't enjoy the matches they have with that high number because they simply aren't good enough to play on that level and having fun rather than playing like their life depends on it.

It doesn't matter, if someone is in high MMR or not. The matchmaking should do it's job and we should all have enjoyable matches no matter how good or bad we play. Personally, I've given up on sweating like my life depends on it just to increase an invisible number, that ultimately means nothing. I play a lot more chill and I still enjoy and win a good chunk of my games, which is exactly what MMR should do.

If that doesn't work out, then we'd have a problem with the matchmaking itself, which in turn would invalidate all MMR ratings.

However, I like the idea of players being able to showcase personal data on leaderboards. Not with MMR but in the way we already have it over at: https://deadbystats.eu// where we can see some things like gens finished, survivors healed, number of escapes, number of survivors sacrificed and some killer specific numbers like hatchets hit, or chainsaw downs on Billy and Bubba. This could even work as an addition to the new player cards or a completely seperate menu.

• Astel
    Astel Member Posts: 650
    edited November 2023
    Post edited by Astel on
  • Ariel_Starshine
    Ariel_Starshine Member Posts: 937

Yes, I'd love to see how it works and IF it works.

My friend who has 75 hours in the game is being matched by people who have 2k+ hours.

• Batusalen
    Batusalen Member Posts: 1,323

At minimum, MMR should be visible individually in the new Player Profile, and preferable be shown at the end of the match (as people is against showing it at the start, like in any other game you can think of with a ranked system).

The only reason for not doing it is that they have something to hide regarding MMR and Matchmaking.

• I_CAME
    I_CAME Member Posts: 1,245
    edited November 2023

The real reason they won't show it is because it would expose how bad the matchmaking system actually is. Imagine you know for a fact that you are a low MMR solo survivor and then the system throws you into a game with a P100 Nurse. That would create A LOT of awkward questions that Behavior probably doesn't want to answer.

• surv43
    surv43 Member Posts: 331

I’m not against everyone seeing their MMR and only their own, but I would complement the very essence of MMR by separating the MMR rank for a group and for solo play.

If it’s primitive, then if you enter the game with someone, then the rank for the group is used, and if one, then a different rank. And let’s assume that the selection of a maniac is equal to the arithmetic mean among the ranks of survivors if no other options are provided.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,242
    edited November 2023

MMR is a terrible incentive, because it's based solely on kills/escapes.

Kills/escapes is an ok estimation for average skill over a number of games, for matchmaking purposes, but it's not the outcome you want every player chasing at all costs. That's what emblems/bloodpoints are for, which encourages a wider range of actions and team-focused behaviour.

Everyone seriously needs to forget that MMR exists and not worry about what their own MMR is, because that's precisely why it's a hidden stat. It only exists to serve a vague matchmaking system which itself is not designed to create super strict matches, in a what is essentially a casual free-for-all pvp game. SBMM is designed to create a gap between the highest and lowest players, it's not meant to be more accurate than that, because there are too many factors at play that completely supersede individual skill level. The Killer, map or the survivor team make up completely alter the skill balance of a single game.

• surv43
    surv43 Member Posts: 331

If mmr is tied to experience points, will this option suit you?

How do you know that he was considered wrong?

It would be nice to have an MMR option that would keep survivors and maniacs at just below +1 rank increase per match to encourage both sides in the game to be more active.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,242

Playtime doesn't equate to skill, or attitude.

MMR is as much of a measure or approximation of attitude (how badly the player tries to win, if they regularly employ cheaper tactics like tunneling, etc.) as it is "skill".

Like it or not, MMR as it stands is the best and most effective out of a lot of terrible options.