The Trickster Feedback

Comments

• sadbill
    sadbill Member Posts: 6

If you will touch only knives speed, at least, you have to give 5knives per 1s. Check the kill rate plz.

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445

Then I implore you earnestly, make one of his addons essentially revert him to before this change.

It doesn't matter how well you guys are able to tune him, his knives are almost certainly going to need to be weaker to make room for him being 4.6. The Trickster players who love him as he is now don't deserve to lose him like I lost release Trickster.

• sadbill
    sadbill Member Posts: 6

Maybe I'll quit Trickster... Revert is the only way But BHVR don't think so....Very weak and boring play. I really loved this game...Just sad.

If you don't want to revert...you, BHVR have to touch below things.

1. Make laceration decay long and give knives rate 4-5knives per 1s

You made him 16/44 knives, so it's so hard to make people hurt. Please consider this. I know he is 4.6 but he is 3.86 when he use blade. He is not still stronger than other killers.

2. Change add-ons

Most his add-ons are related to main event. But...I think it makes playing him boring. Many players need to feel fun during playing dbd. His users are same. Same united add-on function is ferrible. Please give users various choice when playing Trickster.

• Shrimplover
    Shrimplover Member Posts: 34

Bhvr is making 4.6 too much of a nerf indulgence.

• JDecker
    JDecker Member Posts: 21

Suggestions for add-ons.

"Inferno Wires", "Trick Pouch", "Lucky Blade", and "On Target Single":

There are other upwardly compatible add-ons with similar effects. furthermore, in terms of these effects, it is stronger to combine other add-on than to combine two similar add-ons, so I don't think anyone will use these low performance add-ons. Therefore, it would be better to change these to some other effects.

Rare "Fizz-Spin Soda":

-> Rework: Achieve a combo grants you a temporary Haste status effect. The duration of the Haste status effects last longer for higher level combo.

* Because of this change, the combo benefits should increase significantly if player choose this add-on.

Rare "Melodious Murder":

-> In addition to the current effect, when reloading at Lockers, the Trickster will have a temporary Haste status effect. The duration of the Haste status effect increases as you reload more knives at once.

* This will definitely increase the number of people who want to use this add-on. Some people may even have the option of opening a locker during a chase to get a Haste status effect an advantage in the chase.

New effect ideas for add-ons:

1. Speed up the movement of starting and ending the knife throwing stance.

2. When a knife has only 1 remaining and the shot of the last knife hits, the knife will be reloaded by 50% and the Trickster will have a temporary Haste status effect.

3. When the Main Event can be activated, the power gauge will not decrease over time and can be kept permanently.

4. The Main Event knives penetrate a walls (or objects) to some extent (it disappears after 0. a few seconds when the knives start passing through the wall). When a knife penetrates walls and hits survivors, it increases the survivors' Laceration Meter by 0.334 instead of 1.

Thank you for reading.

• BritneyMitch
    BritneyMitch Member Posts: 151

Improved the gameplay playing into trickster by a large degree, more skill expression on both sides so I think it was a good change.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,765

I had absolutely no idea so many peeps were this passionate about Trickster.

Aside from @FreeKnives I haven't seen not much about this update when using a controller. Does anyone main him on console and can tell us how he feels after these changes? I'd love to hear from more players who've made this killer their main with a controller. 😊

• bunbun
    bunbun Member Posts: 416

It's a machine translation.

I would like it to be like when throwing knives, the rate of fire starts at the maximum rate of fire, and when you throw a certain number of times (about 4?), the rate of fire slows down.

Why was Trickster so weak? This is because the rate of fire increases little by little, so a DBD with lots of shielding cannot reach a high rate of fire, and it takes a lot of time to deal damage.

Why was the Trickster so strong in camps and empty areas? This is because it is the killer with the fastest attack speed when the rate of fire is maximized.

In order to make the Trickster stronger, it is essential to set the rate of fire to the maximum speed from the beginning.

He was very, very good at PTB.

Rather than gradually increasing speed, it starts at maximum, increasing instantaneous attack power, and giving a reprieve by not being able to sustain it. By making it possible to resume throwing at maximum rate of fire after waiting for about 0.5 seconds, there will be almost no penalty for burst shots and tap shots.

Also, as a response to the low ammo count for lacerations, the knife required for the main event will be reloaded when time runs out without using the main event.

This would be a great skill expression, as it can be used to replenish in situations where the main event is not needed, and improves the ability of players who can perform high hit rates to continue fighting.

In response to the above proposal, we will also modify the add-on.

・Death Throes Compilation: Reload knives after using main event (8)

・Fiz-Spin Soda: Increases the number of specified knives by 2 before rate of fire decreases

・Ji-Woon's Autograph: Increases the number of specified knives by 1 before rate of fire decreases

thank you🙂

• Zygmyr
    Zygmyr Member Posts: 12

Hello. BHVR. The new Memento Blades (10% bonus fire rate) from Hotfix patch 7.4.1 should be The Trickster's default fire rate. I personally don't like the fact that it feels mandatory to equip this Common addon just like the current The Knight's Common addon called Map of the Realm. BHVR please consider making Memento Blades base kit for Trickster, and the Map of the Realm for the Knight as well.

• Fools_gold
    Fools_gold Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2023

This text was written with the help of a translator, so do not judge too much 🫠

I can identify several problems with the new trickster, but I will highlight the speed of throwing knives as the main one. It's terribly slow, but at the same time, how does the trickster play? You catch the survivors by mistake and throw a couple of knives, while changing the speed to 4.6 almost does not help in this action.

Combo mechanics need to be reworked (survivors are too easy to shoot down combos just by turning slightly to the side). My suggestion: you need to tie the combo only to time and remove the misses in this case, it will give you more than 1-1.5 seconds like now.

• Fuzzycube
    Fuzzycube Member Posts: 252

Make Trick Blades base kit. :)

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,244
    edited December 2023

Are they not suppose to revert his-fire rate or something? at least bvhr fixed his add-on's by buffing one of his add-on's. now the only problem is base-kit fire-rate.

• Shrimplover

Even if I write here, the comment will be deleted without permission, so it feels pointless.

• cipherbay_
    cipherbay_ Member Posts: 379

You basically have to M1 a survivor to get that down unless they run into the open with no obstacles in the way, the blades are super easy to dodge. The mind should always be, why should i play this killer over another one that can do more? There is no incentive to Trickster because he is D Tier on the list with these changes. I could pick legion and injure 4 survivors in one go and finish the job with M1. Rework trickster to be in line with other average tier killers atleast

• dance
    dance Member Posts: 75

We're making some changes to The Trickster in today's hotfix. Please let us know what you think after the update goes live and you've had a chance to try them out!

Full patch notes

The Trickster

• Decreased the base time between throws to 0.3 seconds (was 0.33)
    • Increased the Main Event throw rate multiplier to 66% (was 33%)
    • Increased the Main Event active duration to 6 seconds (was 5 seconds)
    • Reverted the time before Laceration starts decaying to 15 seconds (was 10 seconds)

• Maddoka
    Maddoka Member Posts: 15

Honestly, reading this, kinda makes me lose hope.

I'm not sure what you guys were planning for Trickster. As long as his blades will remain weaker than OG Trickster(So before PTB but after the initial buff. The way he was for years.) I don't think many people see a point in playing him. Yes, there are a low amount of people who like the more M1 focused gameplay, but if you look around online and read this thread, it's clear that most people played him for the M2 gamestyle. And I am so confused why you're trying to take that away from him.

At this point, even as someone who mostly plays surv, I'd rather you bring back PTB Trickster (But with current Death Throes iri) than what we have right now. I am personally really of the belief that you should honestly consider reverting him so that those who loved to play him get their main back, and if you still want to change him later, fine. But these micro changes every few weeks are just not going to make anyone want to play him rn.

Also, personal curiousity, not sure if this will be answered but worth a shot; Would BHVR ever consider actually reworking Main Event to give it some sort of different effect or mechanic than it is now?

• LordHeXaGoN
    LordHeXaGoN Member Posts: 89

So, i cheked it out, but these changes slightly will have an impact on trickster. Cuz u still need to throw 16 blades. And his fire rate still slow.

Main event is fine.

But if u want to use blades, u need 4,8 sec to down a survivor.

Like it was before this update with memento blades addon.

U just added one in base, instead of fixing his fire rate 3 to 4 blades per second that was before ptb.

He feels better to play now, but its still feels kinda wierd.

I hope u change his base fire rate once more, and no one gets upset about it, cuz i hate when i need to do math, to prove my point.

• LordHeXaGoN
    LordHeXaGoN Member Posts: 89
    edited December 2023

I forgot about addons. They are still bad.

Like Death throws compilation is literally do nothing, make old effect with something like "if u use 4 main events, only then your blades are recover automatically".

Just made fire rate 4 blades per sec, and nerf memento blades addon.

Post edited by LordHeXaGoN on
  • StarstruckFrog
    StarstruckFrog Member Posts: 55

Hey, peeping back into this thread again. I must say I'm really disappointed in the current patch, as 8 Knife Meter is still a thing.

I'm sorry, but 8-Knife trickster is not fun, was never fun, and will NEVER be fun or positive for the character. His Laceration meter should have remained at 6 or even been lowered to 5 if you wanted. Increasing throw rate by a negligible amount doesn't account for all the extra ammo wasted, the further decrease of Main Event's situational viability, and the amount of buffs required to make an 8-Knife Trickster strong.

I don't think it's a good direction for the character, I would've happily taken 6-Knife trickster with the 3kps throw rate and 10s decay time, as it still would've been pretty strong without needing to feel overbearing with the use of add-ons and Main Event. I don't see any possible way to balance 8 Knife Trickster that isn't incredibly annoying for one side. On PTB it was incredibly annoying for Survivors, as the nerfed meter was compensated heavily with throwing speed buffs nobody wanted. The Live release it was incredibly annoying for killers, as the patch has a ton of nerfs, and not a single solid buff to compensate aside from being 4.6m/s.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE reconsider some of these changes and try just going back to 6-Knife. I will be able to live with the previous 0.33s windup, just please stop trying to make 8-Knife work. It really just doesn't.

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,685

I really did try this newest version of Trickster, but I also think that requiring 8 knives is still a massive nerf to Trickster.

As I mentioned before, if the survivor isn’t close, I’m not using rapid fire. And this isn’t entirely because of recoil, it’s also because the knives actually have different aiming spots, depending if the knife is being thrown from the left hand or the right hand, and I need to make that micro adjustment in between each throw.

And I did confirm that if I do try to rapid fire a survivor that’s not close, and I’m not in main event, that I just run out of knives too quickly. The knife hitboxes are so tiny, and they have travel time, and even the bots are good at micro dodging them. My accuracy rate on rapid fire is nowhere near 100%, and that’s not because of improper aiming. It’s because you need predict where the survivor is going, and do the projectile wiggle thing that Plague uses, where you send out the projectiles is a small spread. And small spread means you will be missing a lot of knives.

• Capa
    Capa Member Posts: 16

I really like the new changes. Trickster's fire rate is much faster than what it was before, most notably in Main Event. I do wish you guys fix the animation when using Memento Blades as the animation is desynced after a while.

• Abseudus
    Abseudus Member Posts: 14

While this is a 'buff' compared to the verison we had now, it's still weaker (or nerfed) compared to the old 4.4 trickster from live verison.

Made an update with some math and other additional issues on it again, but by now my hope isn't really there anymore.

• FreeKnives
    FreeKnives Member Posts: 82
    edited December 2023

BHVR, Trickster feels good.

I played Trickster yesterday, and it was a night and day difference. He feels better than PTB Trickster, and to me, feels better than 4.4 Trickster overall. If you think about not “having your cake and eating it to”. There are things that are arguably better about 4.4 Trickster and there are arguably better things about this Trickster, but no one here is going to say that this current Trickster is not better than previous update. So Sincerely, thank you for the patch.

Now, I don’t like using an add-on to get 4.4 Trickster’s Main event value back, but I am starting to understand the trade-offs with a 4.6 Trickster. You can't have everything all at once. You already confirmed you are not moving away from 4.6, so its more about understanding what you can have from 4.4 Trickster with a 4.6 Trickster basekit, without killing many playstyles at the same time. But the laceration meter, thank you sincerely for reverting that. It was the biggest problem and makes a huge difference. I can now play Trickster without being punished severely for my play style. I also feel like this Trickster feels better to me, because with 4.4 Trickster…even if you played well, he felt like he was more at the mercy of randomness, when trying to win. Albeit rng, meta perks, guessing whether you were facing swfs, or exploits in maps. It just feels like this current Trickster feels less at the mercy of randomness. Again I liked 4.4 Trickster, especially his Main Event, but I can appreciate this Trickster and where the skill expression might be now instead. Maybe doing more with combo score and extending Main Event through accuracy. IDK. But This Trickster does feel good. I actually feel like my hours and prestige actually reflect, in the outcome of the game when I play well.

Trickster's power now feels like a threat again, where as in the previous update, survivors could and would swarm towards me during Main Event, and ignore it with enough body blocking, and not even for objective purposes, just because they could and knew it. Now survivors have to avoid my power (Imagine!). They have to play smarter and cannot abuse the nerf of the previous update. That doesn’t mean he is OP. Chaining tiles together, running through LOS blockers, second chance/endurance/haste perks, and stealth/gen rushing are still very viable against this Trickster.

I am also going to back up @endzej_ on this…I think you should go back to your original idea of 5% with Memento blades rather than 10%. Unless leaving it that way was on purpose and you are going for that...uh maybe not a common brown add on then. I just don’t want a repeat of PTB Trickster fiasco, because people are already making click-bait videos calling Trickster “OP, Broken” because of Memento Blades and Stop Watch combo. It is a really fun addon (I have other preferred addons though) and it makes shooting really fun when you feel in the mood to use it. I don't think its necessary at 10% to use Trickster effectively. Again looking at him overall, and being 4.6. It does end chases much more quickly, but I can see how it can be oppressive in a way that triggers survivors. Especially when combined with Stop Watch. I would rather not have fun with those add-ons at their current numbers or rarity, than keeping it as is and this results in misinformation and Trickster being accused of being overall OP. So please take a look at the addons that @endzej_ _ mentioned. Adjusting the numbers a bit would go a long way. Because let's face it, people dont really know anything about Trickster unless they play him ENOUGH and they will take one "broken" thing and make it about the character overall.

Again,

Just know that survivors will complain about this killer till the end of days, and even among Trickster mains we all play differently, which is why he is so fun. We might not all agree on every detail, but we can all sleep better now, because the previous update Trickster was abysmal. Thank you again for making it a priority to adjust Trickster, especially with an upcoming event. Appreciate all your hard work.

Post edited by FreeKnives on
  • FreeKnives
    FreeKnives Member Posts: 82

Trickster is good. Can you increase the snowball count. I think 6 is too little.

• CammyChameleon
    CammyChameleon Member Posts: 248

First off I would like to say that this new Trickster feels so so much better.

In fact I like his so much now that I am actually going to start maining him again just like I did when he first came out!

I honestly had stopped playing him because of how miserable he was with his 110 movement speed and playing "catch up" simulator when you need LOS for way longer than the other ranged killers like Huntres/Slinger. The 115 changes I think are perfect, and I love how he is now.

The only down side is his addons are kind of weak, some of them are fun, but I think the fizz spin soda should be looked at again to have other functionality than just more blood points. (Unless, does the combo mean that it makes the upcoming main event longer? Someone said that's how it works now?)

As for the comments on Memento blades, I think they are a decent add on, however it is certainly not in need of any changes. It really only saves about 0.2 seconds (based on one of the videos I saw) which I think is more than worthy of a brown add on. It's nice to the point where if you wanna run cheap add ons it's a good choice, and not OP or to strong where you need to rely on it. Still better to use the higher rarity add ons.

I love how trickster has turned out and I was starting to lose hope when the PTB to live changes happened, but you guys really did save this killer. Fantastic job!

• JDecker
    JDecker Member Posts: 21
    edited December 2023

I think the basic usability of Trickster has improved a lot, and it has become a fun killer to use.

However, there are some concerns.

Trickster's current strength is (although not as strong as it was in 4.7.1) depends too much on the add-on "Memento Blades", and there isn't much fun in choosing various add-ons on your own.

The same can be said for other killers, but if there is a powerful add-on despite its low rarity, many people will use that add-on, resulting in a lack of variety in the game experience. So I think that kind of games-balance needs to be reworked.

Perhaps the simplest solution would be to decrease the effect of Memento Blades to +5% instead of +10%, but many people would be unhappy with such a nerf.

Therefore, I think another good solution would be to raise the rarity of the add-on with the effect of "Throw Rate +10%" to Very Rare or higher and make it difficult to use frequently. In short, it means exchanging the effects of "existing Very Rare or higher add-on" and "Memento Blades" with each other.

The effect "Throw Rate +10%" would be appropriate for an add-on of Very Rare or higher.

I think the appropriate add-on to exchange effects with Memento Blades instead is "Edge of Revival Album", which has effects for beginners despite being very rare add-on. However, I think its rarity could be raised to Uncommon or Rare instead of Common.

By combining any two of "Memento Blades", "Waiting For You Watch", and "Lucky Blade", you can sustain the Main Event until the Survivors are down in various situations. It's very fun, but I think it's too powerful for a less than Very Rare add-on.

Survivors can take a modest safety measure against the Trickster's Main Event by entering the lockers, but even if the survivor leaves the lockers after that, in most cases they will receive damage at least once immediately. This point is similar to Cannibal's Chainsaw at first glance, but Cannibal's Chainsaw is often used on healthy survivors, while the Main Event is often used on injured survivors, so there is often no point in survivors entering lockers.

Even without the "Head On" perk, I think the defensive measure of entering a lockers should be a little more practical. Therefore, during the cooldown after Trickster's Main Event, it might be a good to some way to weaken him a little, such as by making him not only unable to throw knives also unable to swing bat.

I also think it would be a good to make the survivor's Laceration Meter decay quickly while the survivor is in the lockers.

I don't think there is a wide variety of strategies that this killer can take. (One of the reasons is that there are some perks whose value drops significantly due to lullaby.) If there were more unique add-ons that would allow each player to strategy in a variety of ways, I think it would become a killer that more people could enjoy for a long time.

For example the ones listed below.

- Add-on that increases the benefit of "hitting survivors at a long distance with a knife" more practical

- Add-on that increases the benefit of "hitting survivors that a certain amount of Laceration Meter with a bat"

- Add-on that increases the benefit of "hitting survivors with a knife when there are only a few knives remaining (less than 8)"

- Add-on that makes Trickster no longer has lullaby, and increases the range in which he can hear sounds such as generator-repairing noises

Post edited by JDecker on
  • Shrimplover

Hmm. I think most of the changes are good, but aren't his add-ons too weak?

Compared to Huntress, I feel like there are more add-ons that can't be used.

In particular, the performance of Trickster's ultra-rare add-on is such that it has no use and makes you think it's a joke.

• WitchWalpurga
    WitchWalpurga Member Posts: 118

thanks for the new trickster type:

proxy camping, taking the uhooker down and after that you just spam main event to down the unhooked person too, evrything within 8 seconds. Had this type of trickster now multiple times. Really fun to go against. Main event should be earned and not giftet for free while camping a hook

• Shrimplover
    edited December 2023

Edited sound source → If you take down a healthy survivor with just the knife, the knife will be reloaded.

Photo card → Reduce laceration gauge to 5

How is this kind of performance?

• janeobviouslydoe
    janeobviouslydoe Applicant Posts: 9
    edited December 2023

Between the Memento Blades buff to 10% and the tweaks to basekit the other day, Trickster feels in a much better place. In chase he is fun to play and a threat, but the 2 additional lacerations needed gives survivors more of a counterplay. Playing against him, bodyblocking to protect someone with high laceration feels viable (tho maybe I just haven't come across any scarily good tricksters since). I feel addon wise new trickster isn't as fun or varied, which is understandable for the buffs he got. But I do miss the old iris as the new ones are kinda characterless. I am not the biggest fan of feeling like I have to run one addon (memento blades) to enjoy a killer/be viable, but the addon is very fun to use and feels more similar to the old trickster I enjoyed. Cut Thru Single feels weaker with the additional 2 lacerations, the number could've been compensated to match up with how many hits it now takes to injure. Overall in a much better place and I am glad you took the time to adjust after the initial buff didn't work out.

Post edited by janeobviouslydoe on
  • OrangeBear
    OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,641
    edited December 2023

Yes i would agree with that.

I think there are too many main event duration add-ons.

Waiting for You Watch is probably the best one, the worst ones are the new combo extend add-ons. The goal of those add-ons is to increase your main event duration but you may as well just use Tequila Moonrock and Inferno Wires for that.

So, i would like to see Fizz Spin Soda and Ji-Woon's autograph reworked.

The duration extend (Inferno Wires and Tequila Moonrock) also feels inferior to the increase main event duration on blade hit which are Lucky Blade and Waiting for you Watch add-ons.

The duration add-ons are better though if line of sight is not plentiful or your accuracy is low but i think there only needs to be one for that (i would keep inferno wires). Because if you combine them both you get a 12-15 second main event and i don't feel like anyone really needs that.

Death Throes Compilation and Diamond Cufflinks feel very similar and i think the Diamond Cufflinks are better despite being lower rarity.

The 2 add-ons i think i find most useful are Memento Blades and Iridescent Photo Card. Memento blades are probably too good for a common add-on.

Now i will make an attempt of suggesting changes to some of the add-ons. Keep in mind i am just a player and i can't test these things and i do not have designer's intution so i don't expect these to be good ideas but i think it's better than me to instead of saying "Just rework them" to try and do it my self as well.

Memento Blades : Decreased throw rate bonus back to 5%, now Very Rare Rarity from Common

Ji-Woon's Autograph : New Effect : Decreases the cooldown before you can throw blades after a main event by 1.25 seconds

Tequila Moonrock : New Effect : Manually ending Main Event replenishes blades up to a maximum of 20 blades. Does not exceed the maximum carrying capacity.

Lucky Blade : New Effect : Time to enter throw state decreased by 0.1 seconds

Fizz-Spin Soda : New Effect : Time to exit throw state decreased by 0.25 seconds

Cut Thru U Single : Rarity changed to Common from Very Rare (It feels like every time you use this add-on, survivors stop bodyblocking for each other. Making it common rarity makes it more likely that it will see use and have an effect)

Death Throes Compilation : New Effect : Putting a survivor into the dying state with Main Event causes all other survivor to scream and reveal their location. Downing a survivor automatically ends Main Event. OR Downing a survivor with Main Event causes all dropped pallets in a 24 meter radius to break.

Post edited by OrangeBear on
  • Shrimplover

Everyone has different ways of using add-ons, so I'd like you to hear this as my personal opinion. If this content is implemented, ・Ji-Woon's Autograph ・Lucky Blade ・Fizz-Spin Soda ・Cut Thru U Single I feel like I don't use it much.

• OrangeBear
    OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,641

That's true add-ons are customisations for powers after all.

But i have to ask why use the combo add-ons over the duration ones? They just seem straight up worse to me.