Only killers should be punished for forcing their objectives?

Options

Comments

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,598
    edited January 27
    Options

Chases shouldn't last a couple of seconds, but like I said, bad maps and strong Killers change things lol.

You get Rotten Fields against Trickster, you just kinda die since the map is 90% open.

Conversely, Freddy on Asylum isn't particularly fair for him and that's quite the understatement.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,124
    Options

Afaik and have seen in discussions, an average chase is somewhere around 45-60 second in a game when someone tunnels. Lets say you cut that in half to make up for going from ~5-6 hooks to 12 and having 4 survivors instead of 3. That's only 20-30 second chases. That's not very long.

Yeah, that's short chases, but not 'a couple of seconds' short. When you say 'a couple of seconds', you're talking around ten, max. That's survivors running into your arms.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,216
    Options

You bring up some good points here.

I don't necessarily agree with tunneling being required, I think it is still possible to secure a win without doing it. But I definitely agree with what you said regarding the change in playstyles after the meta "adjustments".

I really miss the days where survivors only had Dead Hard to work with, because the rest of their build was made to counter tunneling and slugging, while the killer didn't resort to those strategies because he had BBQ stacks to collect. Was playing as effectively and as scummy as possible a possibility? Yes, but it wasn't the normal scenario of an average trial and that was an excellent thing.

Reading through patch notes 6.1.0 again, it is no wonder that it caused playstyles to be shifted and eventually led to unfun situations. There is just so much wrong with that patch that it is hard to know where to start.

I know some people disagree with me when I say this game was better in the past, and they have every right to do so, but I don't think anyone would truly be opposed to going back to the gameplay you've described as the fun and kinda tense games we used to have.

Although that would require changing the way people approach this game, and that isn't easy to do.

Asylum isn't that bad for Freddy. But if you get RPD, may the Entity have mercy upon you because the game won't.

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,389
    edited January 27
    Options

I mean, 20 seconds is "a few/couple seconds" to me but ok. I can be more specific.

So just to reiterate and clarify, a chase lasting 20-30 seconds, or "short" chases on average what should be the norm. If the chase last any longer you're in a match where either the survivors are better/stronger than the killer or the RNG gave you the finger.

Chases longer than that in your average match mean you're not in the MMR you should be.

• Pulsar
    Options

Hmmmm. Not nuanced enough.

Early-game? A 45 second chase is good, really anything under a minute or so. Mid-game should be shorter. End-Game can be longer.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,235
    Options

What exactly is the risk of the tunnelling failing, though?

Anti-tunnel tools aren't that strong, so it's solely down to map resources and the skill of the survivor you're chasing. The latter is a non-starter because if they're that good you wouldn't want to chase them to begin with, so that means that - meaningfully - it's random chance if tunnelling can be countered, rather than perks or skill. Not a good place for that tactic to be, in my opinion.

If the survivor could use perks to bridge the gap and better express their skill, because the killer has to invest time into actual hit-blocking and a proper DS stun which would give them time to get to resources, it being risk/reward would be the case. Currently, it's not, so tunnelling is just the easier option in a lot of matches.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 4,952
    Options

Maybe its just me, but I sometimes actually do lose survivors, when they turn a corner in an unexpected way and hide behind something while I don't notice. Sticking to a survivor is not guranteed for me to catch them, but maybe thats just me being bad and everyone else has a 100% successful chase rate?

Non-the-less, I actually explained the risks of tunneling in my original reply to you pretty well: while tunneling you leave the other survivors freely at their gens, putting a hard 90s timer (or less) on the first 3 gens and another 90 (plus maybe 20 traversal/search time) on the last two. If you can't tunnel and kill the survivor in 200s, you lost, because you gave away all gen protection in favor of tunneling and no other survivor has any hooks.

If the tunnel fails and that survivor you were tunneling somehow gets away, you got nothing to show for your effort, but all the disadvantages, ie you lost 3-4 gens with the fifth probably already under way, and the escaped survivor resetting and helping the wash up, while staying low. Tunneling is an inherent risky proposition, as you hand the gens scott free to the survivors and if you can't translate the tunnel into a kill, you lose it all.

• MrPenguin
    edited January 27
    Options

Ok but on average.

The average chase time is 45-60 seconds in tunnel games to be even as I stated here:

So it can't be the same length. You need to make up for having a 4th survivor in the game doing gens, healing, saving, distracting the killer and ect which as we both know is a big difference; as well as hook count going from 5-6 to 10-12. As well as additional travel time between each chase to go to different targets.

How much time on average?

• Akumakaji
    Options

While I am a stoud opponent of basekit mechanics, as this dilutes the perk variety of the game and even more solidifies the meta, there is one basekit that I propose every time I get the chance for:

(old) BBQ. In the past every killer had BBQ equipped for the blood point bonus, and many survivors hated the aura reading part, but the vast majority didn't realize what good this did for the game. Killers had it equipped for the BP, but every hook showed them opportunities and thus peeled them away from the hook.

So, why not combine the two effects into a basekit incentive for the killer? They get the old +25% bonus BP for each survivor hooked, BUT only as long as all four survivors are still alive. If you tunnel the first survivor out you are stuck with +25% bonus BP etc. Also, upon hooking you see the aura of a single random survivor that hasn't been hooked yet. Once all 4 survivors have been hooked, no more basekit aura reading will be shown, but at that time the killer has chased and hooked every survivor and spread their hooks around. A mechanic like this would again put "hooking every survivor once" back again as a personal quest on many killers agenda, instead of just having kills as their only means of success.

• jesterkind
    Options

I'm not sure how you lose survivors when you're right on them and hitting them within 10-15 seconds of them being unhooked?

If they could make distance using anti-tunnel perks, yes, you'd be right, but right now they've got at most Off The Record buying them a few more seconds. With OTR, they could maybe break line of sight and pull the tricks you're describing, but only if they're in a favourable area for it, which means... their ability to even attempt to counter tunnelling is random chance re: map position, as I described.

Your description of what the risk should be is accurate. That risk just isn't there because there's only meagre protection against tunnelling in place. It made the most egregious form of tunnelling impossible, but it didn't exactly make tunnelling in general properly risky.

Imagine if, instead, the basekit protection wasn't Endurance, so it can't be used to cleanse OTR before it's elapsed. On top of that, DS is a five second stun, so you're rolling the dice on if you'll get a stun that matters after downing them, which in this scenario took three total hits because OTR couldn't be waited out or cheesed immediately. In this scenario, tunnelling is a risk- you can get that chase finished fast enough to not lose value, but it's not going to be particularly desirable in most situations. That'd address tunnelling (mostly, at least) without harming regular gameplay, which is the ideal situation.

• Akumakaji
    Options

Fair points. But if we make tunneling riskier and prone to failure, I also think that we should make splitting up on the three early gens less efficient. One of the main reason stated by killers why they tunnel is that they feel pressured and backed against the wall so early, ie they finish their first chase and 3 gens pop. If we could make splitting up on the first 3 gens less effective, I wouldn't mind if every tunneled survivor gets an auto 5s DS and free Unbreakable during that early game to incentivice the killer HARD to go for another target and not wasting time.

The way both sides have been forced to play most optimally has lead to the current situation and the breakneck speed we are experiencing.

• jesterkind
    Options

I'm in favour of addressing the edge cases for early generator speeds, yes. I do think it's a bit of a false equivalence, but it's not as though the generator stuff doesn't need addressing too, so it's fair to mention it.

Personally, I'd just have every survivor spawn grouped up in groups of four or two, and nerf toolboxes. The only real problematic starts are when everyone spawns on a separate generator with a good toolbox, and those two things separately are too strong as well so they should just be addressed individually.

Now, again, I don't think those two things are linked. I think they should both happen but they don't both need to happen at the same time.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,216
    Options

I believe we can solve both problems simultaneously by reverting BBQ back to its previous version. And WGLF, of course. Can't have one without the other.

BBQ was not only a great incentive for you to go after other survivors, but it has the added benefit of costing a perk slot while also having a great secondary effect. It is one less regression perk for a killer to run, and they are rewarded by doing so.

It would help a lot.

• Akumakaji
    Options

On the contrary I think that they are very linked. Killer being so strong and gens taking longer after 6.1 forced survivors to stop dillydallying and play efficiently, meaning that they no longer do gens casually together but split up with everyone doing their own gen. They leads to 3 gens popping first chase and killers feeling that they have to tunnel at 4 gens, to even have a chance of winning.

Everything is connected in a complicated web of conditions and influences.

• jesterkind
    Options

This falls into the trap of assuming that tunnelling happens when the killer loses gens too quickly, but it doesn't, it just happens. I've personally had matches where the killer goes hard into tunnelling someone out before a single gen is even done, and that happens much, much more frequently than any game of mine for either side where the killer has a true genrushing "everyone's split up immediately with a toolbox" start.

Addressing genrushing is reigning in uncommon but unbalanced edge cases, but addressing tunnelling would be addressing a problem the game's been struggling with pretty consistently for a long while. It's part of why my initial post here objected to the framing- the two problems just aren't comparable on nearly any level.

I'm not saying tunnelling should be addressed and then it's okay to wait years before toolboxes get nerfed, but that doesn't mean the two must necessarily happen together.

• Pulsar
    Options

Thank you.

On average, probably 45 seconds. Again, I don't think this is a good way to measure it, as it's normal for your first few chases to be longer due to abundant resources, then your middle chases to be short due to dwindling resources and an attempt at management, followed by a longer chase near the end due to despration.

• Akumakaji
    Options

The thing is, the killer can't just shift gears when things turn sour and start tunneling, most games are just at a too high breakneck speed. Its part of the meta: the meta tought killers to tunnel early, to then have maybe a breather during the last section of the match, just as the meta tought survivors to split up and pressure the killer from all fronts. Heck, if so regularly 3 gens pop during the first chase, then there isn't any breathing room for the killer to decide that its now time to tunnel, they either decide early or perish (or play potatoes, in which case it doesn't matter).

Somewhere earlier I proposed an old BBQ like basekit mechanic, to give killers a sort of secondary victory condition, again. I think that this would do wonders to the game. Besides that, I think that gen speeds and tunneling need to be tackled as a whole, if you fix one part without the other, you will severely imbalance the game.

• AmpersandUnderscore
    AmpersandUnderscore Member Posts: 1,357
    Options

So I agree that the BBQ and even WGLF BP bonuses should've just been made base kit. I think that's generally a good thing, and probably one of the few things that shouldn't be controversial.

But nearly everything else is just plain wrong here.

Killers can switch to tunneling at any time in the game. There's a reason people tend to distinguish between tunneling at 5 gens, vs *switching* to tunneling in the late or end game.

The meta didn't dictate tunneling, this is backwards. The gen kick meta locked down games in the killers favor for months. The point that was driven home incessantly was 'do gens fast, or you're guaranteed to lose this match'. You're seriously confusing cause and effect here. Not to mention nerfs like circle of healing, for example, where early game time spent hunting and blessing were deleted, and survivors' only option is to do gens at the match start now.

Similarly, killers don't just 'tunnel because they don't have breathing room'. Again, when killers could choose to lock down the game for 30 minutes to an hour, they had tons and tons of 'breathing room' and yet tunneling only got worse during that time too.

• MrPenguin
    edited January 28
    Options

That makes sense to me but others don't see it that way apparently.

If you need to tunnel to stand a chance you don't deserve that MMR and you're boosted. The game is balanced to the point you can go for 10-12 hooks every match with players on your skill level.

Incentives don't work, only punishments.

Not my words, just what has been expressed to me in the thread.

Post edited by MrPenguin on
  • MrPenguin
    edited January 28
    Options

Tunneling time average: ~50 seconds

Me: "It can't be the same length."

Given non-tunnel time average: ~50 seconds

That doesn't add up. It needs to be faster then that. You have to make up for a 4th survivor where there wasn't one doing gens healing, saving, ect. for most of the match, extra time finding more survivors, and going from ~5/6 hooks to ~11 and the number of chases to get those hooks.

If it takes the same chase time, it's the same speed to complete your objective between the two or very close. Wouldn't that also throw the whole foundation of your argument of "tunneling is nigh impossible to counter and way too strong, but not tunneling isn't" out the window? Both would either be fine or both would be "too fast/strong". Isn't that untrue?

I'm sorry you don't personally think it's a good way to measure but it's important to have an expectation of how fast a killer should be completing their objective to be balanced with survivors speeds, especially in this context. So imo you're gonna have to give a better one or explain the one you gave.

• Moonras2
    Moonras2 Member Posts: 265
    Options

It's because not everyone's experience is the same. However, just because our experiences are different, that doesn't mean either one of them should be invalid. In my experience, the day I stopped camping or tunneling was when I started finding it less and less necessary. I very rarely do either one now and never feel like it's needed. For others, they may have the opposite effect. Maybe they like playing different killers than I do or enjoy different play styles.

All that aside, and this is my opinion, there can be no "true" balancing of this game. MMR would have to be so incredibly tight that everyone is matched against, and with, people of similar skill only. Regardless of queue time. The only outliers being people who are partied up, when one is lower MMR than another.

Then after that and several months of play, they might have an idea of what/who is stronger at every MMR range. They could make basekit changes to either side to try and balance it out. Killers would have to be done on a case by case basis most of the time, which could take a long while.

There was a time when I thought incentives could work in this game. They always just end up with a loophole though.

I think @Ryuhi might have mentioned comeback mechanics before. As it stands tunneling/camping can be used at the start of the game or as a comeback mechanic. I think it should be hard punished as is. Then both sides given some sort of basekit mechanic that might help turn the match around. Gen speeds based on hook count, maybe a moment of slower movement speed if a chase takes a certain time, quicker hook timers, etc... Those aren't great ideas just throwing something out there.

I know it might sometimes feel punishing to the player/s doing well but at least it would provide hope to the losing side. Might help prevent some DC's, and make it a little more fun, if the match doesn't feel like a loss at the start. Then again, without a lot of trial it would also have some loopholes

• MrPenguin
    edited January 28
    Options

I understand they have different experiences. I didn't say they were necessarily wrong there nor was that my intention, just that they pretty much have a completely opposite view.

I see points to both sides of the argument. The main thing in contention is what can we mostly agree on as some middle ground.

I don't know if that's going to happen, but that's one reason why the forums exist. To discuss things like this.

So far we at least got that both sides really need to treat each other better. Which is better than most of these conversation I've seen in the past on this subject.

• Pulsar
    Options

You are also, presumably, applying pressure on other Survivors. You are using Pop, PR, etc etc since you're not tunneling one person out.

Your mere existence as a Killer allows you to buy time. By not tunneling someone out, you make it clear you're a threat to everyone and they cannot just sit on gens while you kill their friend. This, once again, allows you to proc PR and Pop.

• Firellius
    Options

When tunnelling, only the first three chases need to be fast. After that, you can be very slow in your chases and still win, because survivors get way less progress. Also, when tunnelling, if you're aggressive enough, you're going to be getting half-chases for the second and third chase, since the survivor will still be injured when you pick up their trail. And if you chase them in the area where they were hooked, then they've likely already used some resources in the initial chase.

And once that survivor is dead, you can take way longer on your chases.

• Pulsar
    Options

Why? Why do they need to be so significantly shorter when you aren't tunneling? The game isn't balanced around someone being dead at 4 or 5 gens.

There does seem to be an incorrect assumption. Tunneling doesn't take extra time. The game is, for all intents and purposes, over when someone dies before 3 gens are done unless the Killer hard throws. You are also not going to be getting a full chase when you're tunneling. They are already injured in a disadvantageous position, it should be a 20 second chase, if that.

When you aren't tunneling, you are getting PR and Pop every down for four downs. That's 55% regression, but let's say it's only 50%. That's at least 45 seconds every down, not accounting for time saved via interruption, healing, rotating, travel time etc etc.

Pop and PR aren't going to STOP people from tunneling, but that's not the argument you're making right now. Pop and PR buy you massive amounts of time, especially when you are NOT tunneling.

• Firellius
    Options

I'm telling you because 'this is how fast chases need to be' isn't a good way to show the difference between tunnelling and non-tunnelling.

• MrPenguin
    edited January 28
    Options

Because doing so makes your objective go a lot slower and that's the chase time given for tunneling to be even, not ahead. I already pointed that out. That's not the time for 1 survivor dead at 4-5 gens. 50 seconds per chase is too long for that. So if the time for non-tunnel to be even is the same, that would me there's no time difference between the two in terms of objective completion. But that goes against what you were saying before.

It's not that tunneling takes extra time. Its that tunneling allows you to spend more time in chases since after 3 you get your slowdown from killing one survivor. Which as you said, is stronger than anything the killer has at their disposal. If you don't then you don't have that until around your 8th or 9th hook, which is late game and doesn't really matter anyway since that's maybe 1 gen.

• MrPenguin
    Options

Ok so what values can you tell me that are? If its not how fast the objective gets done compared to your opposition?

• Akumakaji
    Options

What would insinuate that MMR is working most of the time, which he have established time and again, it is not. I like winning, so I sweat a lot; when MMR is working this puts me up against a lot very, very good survivors, and against those I doubt that anyone could go for 10-12 hooks, in this cases you NEED to play dirty or to perish and get rediculed "OMG. 2500h and you still lost and got not one kill. Baby killer.", stuff like this always makes me wonder whats wrong with this people, do they always perform at top level without ever having a bad game? But I digress ... when MMR is not working, well then everything goes and the strangest stuff can happen. I usually let one survivor go in that case, if I can idenfity a newby usually them, but until one is dead, even a newby can pressure gens just like everyone else.

I get the feeling that punishments never work, they only harden the sentiments on both sides and make some people extra stubborn. I really think that old school BBQ BP bonus as basekit would help a lot, with the added twist that the multiplier only increases as long as all 4 survivors live, ie once the killer kills off one survivor they are stuck with whatever bonus they got at that point. Just try that out BHVR, its not like you would be losing much, but could gain a lot.

• Moonras2
    Moonras2 Member Posts: 265
    Options

I didn't mean to direct the experiences part right at you. I meant it more for all of us even though I sometimes forget it for a moment.

I agree 100% that everyone should treat other better. I do it all the time. If the killer had a bad game I will often wait until everyone leaves and let them hook me. I do the same for survivors. I'll try not be so vicious with killer powers if I'm making quick work of things. Survivor is often more tricky, I can't just stop and do totems or chest unless I know the outcome already. Otherwise I feel like I'm throwing the game for the other 3 and that isn't being kind to them.

We can all also agree I think that whlf and BBQ never should've lost the bonuses. Whether the perks do anything else or not they were great for the grind

This has actually been a pretty healthy thread compared to most lol. It's always good seeing points of views and ideas, even if they aren't always agreed with.

• Adaez
    Adaez Member Posts: 1,239
    Options

My biggest complaint with this game is matches being so fast I can't even enjoy it, it's either gen rush, survivors giving up, or get stomped, no middle ground.

• MrPenguin
    edited January 28
    Options

Yeah afaik no one really disagrees that MMR and matchmaking are a mess frequently. The divide there seems more to be "improve it or erase it?" But that's a different conversation as far as I can see.

That's why I specified that it was evenly skilled matches being discussed as well. I'm not sure how much of the thread you read so apologies if I'm going over what you already did. Supposedly the level where you can go for those 10-12 hook games is where you skill level is. If you need to tunnel to win it's because the survivors are better than you so you needed to resort to the "nigh impossible to counter" playstyle of tunneling. Which for context, "counter" was getting at least 2 out.

As for the incentive vs punishment thing, yeah I would also like an incentive. But the opposition on that was essentially that without an incentive stronger than tunneling there's basically no point since if you want to win you'll still tunnel. We can't do that because tunneling is already way too strong. If it doesn't stop basically all tunneling why even consider it? Also that BBQ had little if not no effect on dissuading people and it was really the fear of DS that did that.

• Pulsar
    Options

Why would you be killing someone only at your 9th hook???

• MrPenguin
    edited January 28
    Options

Because you're spreading hooks? If you're intentionally not tunneling anybody, ping ponging between survivors, and going for 10-12 hook games you'll end up with a hook spread such as 2-2-2-2, 2-2-2-1, or 2-2-1-1.

That's around your 8th hook before someone dies.

• WolfyWood
    WolfyWood Member Posts: 308
    Options

I've actually started using the 400 something BNP's and toolboxes I have and have been encouraging my friends to do the same. Deja Vu is pretty much a staple in my builds now.

There's so much gen defense(as usual), anti loop, nerfed maps, and tunneling; none of which are the killer's fault. But the game currently is a race to the finish.

If a survivor dies before all gens finished you lose. It's pretty gnarly.

• jesterkind
    Options

I think part of the problem here is that the conversation has become a hard binary between "Tunnelling" and "Not Tunnelling", as though the latter is a single strategy the same way that the former is. It does also seem, and I don't mean to put words in your mouth, like you're expecting "not tunnelling" to involve the same gameplay, effort, and type of value as tunnelling, which it does not.

Tunnelling is, boiling it down as bluntly as possible, taking a shortcut on overall skill expression to put all of your eggs in the "short chase times" basket. It's making a play that allows you to focus on that one skill, that one aspect of good killer gameplay, and have that be the thing that wins you games over everything else.

If you aren't making that play, though, you're going to be using all of the other skills, so expecting that the chase times must necessarily be shorter is somewhat missing the point. You don't need them to be shorter because you're using everything else at your disposal.

• Pulsar
    edited January 28
    Options

Bruh. We've been arguing about completely different things holy ######### I'm so dumb.

I go 1-2-1-2-3-1-4-3-2-3-4 as a starter. That can be adjusted as the game goes on. It's not 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 nor is it 1-1-1

Post edited by Pulsar on
  • Akumakaji
    Options

Well, and of course, there is tunneling and there is tunneling. You can do some suplemental or tactical tunneling, that will ferret SWFs out and cause them to take protection hits, thus opening themselves up, when they would otherwise have been sticking to their gens, even if your intention never was to tunnel that player out, yet. Is this also taking a shortcut? Many players, myself included, are under the impression, that a team, that sticks to gens before friends and only goes to safes in the last second and maybe even letting someone slip into hook stage 2, are next to impossible to beat. You just can't generate enough pressure and the second you turn your back, they jump on their gen again. It feels mercilessly from the killers POV, just like tunneling feels for many survivors.

The best natural games are around killers with natural slowdown, like Pinhead, Pig or Sadako, as these games give the survivors a solid, tangible side objective besides slamming gens. Maybe every killer needs their very own objects and side objective? This would be a massive undertaking, but could be a way to go.

• jesterkind
    Options

I do agree that the best games come from natural slowdown, but you don't need that to be part of your power. Playing killer well results in natural slowdown to begin with; teams that refuse to get off generators to go save are extremely vulnerable to someone else being chased and downed before their generator can be completed, and once you've got two people on hook you're in a winning position.

However, yes, there is a slight distinction between hardcore tunnelling and just harrying a freshly unhooked survivor to ferret out their altruistic teammates. I'd consider the second one kind of irrelevant for these conversations, though, since most anti-tunnel generally revolves around when a survivor is downed or picked up again.

• jesterkind
    Options

The thing that's making up the difference is what you're describing, it's natural slowdown and good macro play.

These aren't perk or power related things, to be clear, every killer can do them. I'm sure you've seen others lay it out before, in fact I think I might have said it elsewhere in this thread to counter the idea that tunnelling actually is 'forcing your objective', but I'll go over it again just to be sure we're on the same page: While survivors are alive, your ideal situation is one survivor on the hook, one in chase, and one peeling off to get the save, leaving only one on generators. So, macro play largely consists of keeping survivors occupied like this through whatever means are at your disposal (mostly downs and hooks, but power-specific elements and even injuries count to varying degrees), but it's also keeping a good working knowledge of where each survivor is, it's zoning survivors (the base mechanic, not a power thing), it's creating and capitalising on deadzones, and then it's also any power or perk specific stuff you might want to keep in mind like Jigsaw boxes or defending hexes or what have you.

Doing this well is comparably strong to tunnelling, it's just harder. You do need fast chases, yes, but on top of that you need to minimise your downtime and keep the pressure up across multiple survivors at once. Tunnelling allows you to ignore almost all of this save for chase speed, making it much easier on top of it being stronger, but it's not so much easier or stronger that playing the match without hardcore tunnelling is a pie-in-the-sky fantasy for anyone that isn't a top tier player controlling a top tier killer.

If there is a meme regarding "just pressure gens", the only problem with it is the last word. You don't pressure gens, you pressure survivors.

This is why I don't really see how you'd need faster chases playing normally. If anything, you'd need faster chases in order to tunnel, because you're leaving three survivors unoccupied while you're attempting it and that's a lot of generator progress. By contrast, keeping multiple survivors occupied at once gives you much more breathing room.