Alan Wake: Perk Feedback

dance
dance Member Posts: 75
edited February 16 in Feedback and Suggestions

Dead by Daylight welcomes a new famous Survivor into The Fog - Alan Wake! We'd love to hear your feedback on Alan Wake's new Perks.

Post edited by Mandy on

Comments

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,817

I like the perks in this chapter and I feel like Illumination and Deadline are underrated. Champion of Light is definitely the strongest perk he has, but the others genuinely are useful.

The best way to use Illumination imo is to set it up ASAP at the start of the match and then you immediately know where all the generators are and don't have to look for them later. At that point, it's done its job even if you never use it again. For that reason I think it is a decent perk. It would be nice if it lingered for 4 seconds after leaving though.

As for Deadline, you get more opportunities to do gens faster but in a more fun way (rather than just increasing repair speed). I like the off-center skill checks, it gives an extra challenge but is fun and the perk has excellent synergy with Autodidact.

• NotJared
    NotJared Member Posts: 447

I feel most of his perks have decent synergy with other perks, but aside from Champion of Light (which you need to bring or find a Flashlight for) they don't really stand amazingly on their own.

Deadline especially - having more skillchecks is really cool! Unfortunately you'd still likely get overall more value from Resilience, Botany Knowledge, etc. The perk doesn't give a lot of outstanding benefit to pick it over other perks unless it's paired with very niche skillcheck build perks like Hyperfocus or Autodidact.

Boon: Illumination does what it's intended to do, but it's not a must-have. I think it could be better if it revealed one other type of thing (without overlapping too much with perks like Detective's Hunch) to make it more worth running, such as exit gates.

• RpTheHotrod
    RpTheHotrod Member Posts: 1,862

Big fan of deadline. A lot of good synergy potential. It's weak as a standalone perk, however.

• Shaddoll_Serpent
    Shaddoll_Serpent Member Posts: 156

I like the perks as is, but Illumination could potentially use a little something. (Deadline's good with other perks especially Autodidact, so I don't think any further buffs for it are necessary.)

• PogbertChamperson
    PogbertChamperson Member Posts: 138

Deadline needs to work regardless of your health state. It already makes the skill checks more difficult, so having a second restriction on the perk feels unnecessary. If you wanted to add another effect to the perk you could grant it an AoE, similar to perks like leader or vigil, for it's skill check reduction penalty. I would like to see the increased skill check odds also be part of that AoE, but I understand that some players might struggle with skill checks and wouldn't wanted that granted to them.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,770

Champion of light is in an okay spot I guess.

Boon: Illumination could use something more. I liked the suggestion on another forum user during PTB, to show the progress of the gens with the color intensity of the aura?

Deadline also needs something to be useful without Autodidact to justify its downsides

• Skitten56
    Skitten56 Member Posts: 383

Boon: Illumination must get some sort of buff otherwise it will be another perk no one uses.

I would suggest either one of the following:

• Give it aura reading on survivors outside the boons radius.
    • Have the perks cleanse and blessing speed be active at all times and not just when you have a boon active.
    • Have the perks cleanse and blessing speed be active at all times and not just when you have a boon active!
      • At the very least make it so the speed increase applies if there are any boons active on the map so it can have some value as a team boon perk.

Without any sort of buff it is just not worth the set up time for the boon or a perk slot. BHVR please consider buffing it. Boons are such a cool concept and it is such as shame to see a new boon released so weak.

• Skitten56

Deadline has some niche synergies which make it okay.

Completely agree with you on the boon however. The survivor is throwing the game as you mentioned if they bring it and spend time to bless.

At the very least it would be nice if they made your first blessing attempt be 6% faster or have it as a flat rate increase regardless of whether you have a boon up. I can't imagine many people would bless a boon and then later spend time to bless a different spot while it is still active. If BHVR is not going to buff it with additional effects, they need to give it a larger Blessing speed increase.

• PogbertChamperson
    PogbertChamperson Member Posts: 138

Boon: Illumination could increase the range of all other boons by lets say 8 meters. Other than that I'm not sure how else to buff it.

• SoGo
    SoGo Member Posts: 1,106
    edited January 31

Make Boon: Illumination reveal totems as well and/or make it so the bless/cleanse speed bunus apllies to all survivors

CoL is fine and Deadline is a meme perk. They can stay like they are now.

Post edited by SoGo on
  • vol4r
    vol4r Member Posts: 255

Deadline has good synergy potential, but it's not good enough.

Deadline + Hyperfocus is just too hard - you need to be injured and skillchecks are spawned in random places, which means you won't be able to hit those great skill checks in time given - hyperfocus speeds up the skillcheck.

Deadline + Autodidact is also not great, you need to be injured to get value out of this.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,257
    edited January 31

Champion of light: Very useful Perk and probably the best of the three. Using it, not just to get in position, but to slowdown and even improve moving around obstacles whilst avoiding the Killer, gives a good amount of diversity.

Boon: Illumination: It's better than people give it credit for. For SoloQ it's a great way of communicating and planning. It doesn't litter and does exactly what it says on the tin. Regardless of what anyone says, this is a perfectly fine Perk.

Deadline: Not a great Perk. I see how it works with Autodidact and see the meme quality, but I feel this is a bit too plain. I'm all for Perks which are a bit different, but I'd be looking more towards the Nicholas Cage Perks for inspiration for wackier ideas.

• rha
    rha Member Posts: 418

Cool perks, they save me money (don't feel any motivation to buy the DLC) because there's absolutely nothing of any value here for me:

• Champion of Light is probably the best and good enough, but only for people who use flashlights (which I don't)
    • I see zero reason why I would want to use Boon: Illumination because if I want to find gens Deja Vu is better and works without setup, if I want to loot chests I see the relevant ones (nearby) with Plunderers and get better items. Maybe not the worst effect, but definitely not worth the time to find a totem, bless it, and risk it being snuffed by the killer to repeat the setup time for too little value. As for the value of providing info also for other survivors, I doubt this info is appreciated/used a lot by teammates. The people I would love to get matched with would be perfectly able to play without this info. The bonus action speeds slapped on suggest that even the designers considered the effect a bit underwhelming. That doesn't save the perk for me though.
    • Deadline is completely pointless on its own. For solo queue players like me who are dumb enough to listen to the whole forum advice "if you want to get a bit closer to SWF then just use perk X for Y and now stop complaining" I have three perk slots permanently locked in merely to make up being solo rather than SWF and only a single one available to swap out. Therefore I have no use for a perk that isn't helpful on its own but requires a second perk to bring synergy value because I don't have five perk slots.

For future perk design, it would be nice to have perks consistently reliable that I feel I'm getting value from without it being so broken that it's being complained about. Like old Botany before the nerf made it useless for solo queue and more of a pure SWF perk. It was one of my favorites and I would love to see a replacement for it in one of the next DLCs if you want money from me. I never saw anyone complaining about it.

• Mooks

I have three perk slots permanently locked in merely to make up being solo rather than SWF

just out of curiosity, which ones are these for you? (I would assume Kindred and WoO?)

• rha
    rha Member Posts: 418

Yeah, and Empathy is the third must-have for me, to find teammates who are injured and hiding behind a rock at the other end of the map so I can bring them back into the match to make it a 4vs1 again. Or excessively self-caring ones. Most would consider Bond the better info perk, but I love Empathy.

• Mooks

Gotcha, thx.

imo one out of Kindred or Empathy could be enough? But yeah it depends and having both is definitely great info if you are happy with only one slot for experimentation/variability.

• Atom7k
    Atom7k Member Posts: 269
    edited January 31

Illumination needs a second effect. Something like: Reveals the Aura of the killer to all Survivors if the killer is inside the boons range. Just like wiretap. Maybe with a 10 second limitation.

Right now I only like it on indoor maps in solo q but wouldn't use it otherwise.

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564

Champion of light - Good perk, i don't think this perk needs any change.

Boon: illumination - Worst boon perk atm. There is so much better perks which shows generator auras. Even no use for new players. This perk should show survivor + gate auras too inside boon. And then it will have some use.

Deadline: Bad perk because it has so much downside. First you need to be injured. Second it makes skill checks harder. Why 2 downside for pretty niche perk? Remove one of them and then perk will be fine.

• CrypticGirl
    CrypticGirl Member Posts: 643

I'm confused about the Deadline perk. So it only makes skill checks harder when you're injured, and you only get a 50% progression penalty if you fail it. But if you hit the skill checks, then the perk does...nothing? 😕

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,817

The point of it is that it gives you more opportunities for great skill checks to gain more progress (or just skill checks in general if you run Autodidact with it) since skill checks appear much more frequently. It doesn't increase the bonus itself, but you have more chances to get those bonuses.

• Mooks

Why do you think it starts at zero?

initial perception and perception after some time/use can be different and is important as well. Also not everyone can participate in PTB and couldn’t give feedback based on actual gameplay but only from written text/watching content creators or worse, just repeating what they have heard.

• Venusa
    Venusa Member Posts: 1,488

Because the feedback was already very loud and clear. I see the same members having to comment the same feedback again since their opinions weren't considered and no changes were made to these perks after PTB. A waste of everyone's time.

• Mooks

it has been stated before that changes based on feedback from PTB can’t be directly implemented until live release but is used for further changes down the line (eg the bug fix patches in the following weeks)

also, opinions do often change over time, initial reactions are often a bit extreme (I still remember how Power Struggle was said to be OP, and pretty much every chapter had at least one perk screamed about which then ended up being often underwhelming even though it never got any changes)

also keep in mind these forums are just a handful of people of the community. There is other channels where the devs get feedback from and all voices need to be heard and considered.

• CammyChameleon
    CammyChameleon Member Posts: 253

My Two Changes

Buff: Boon: Illumination to see All Totems!

Buff: DeadLine: Active While Injured OR HEALTHY. This perk is fun but to niche if you can only use it injured

• Bafugaboo
    Bafugaboo Member Posts: 406

I love these oddball perks. I do not run the normal sweat a lake build types. I simply enjoy the game. Having these type of perks is enjoyable for me. I do agree that Illumination and Deadline could use some love and affection.

• Caiman
    Caiman Member Posts: 2,686

I'll repeat the feedback I had during the PTB:

Boon: Illumination should also highlight the exit gates, and reveal the auras of survivors interacting with the highlighted generators, chests, and exit gates. The +10% speed buff to cleansing and blessing totems while it's active is useless and should either be removed or increased to something more substantial like +20% ~ +25%.

Deadline needs a benefit to running it, other than the reduced penalties to missed skillchecks. If it was made to be combo'd with other skillcheck perks, fine, but it needs some kind of bonus for using it because randomized skillchecks don't seem like a worthy trade-off, it's too much of a downside for a negligible (or outright non-existent) upside.

Champion of Light is fine, doesn't need adjustments.

• Skitten56

I made a comment about Boon Illumination and realized it would be better suited here. Boon: Illumination absolutely needs some sort of buff to justify bringing it over any other boon perk. Right now its effects are essentially useless. There are non-boon perks that are better for gen revealing and boon perks that are much more useful. I propose BHVR change it with one of the following solutions:

1. When any boon is active, gain a 10% faster increase to cleansing and blessing totems.
    2. When you have a lit Boon Totem, you cleanse or bless Totems 20% faster.
    3. When you have a lit Boon Totem, you bless Totems 60% faster.
    4. You cleanse or bless Totems 10% faster.

#1: This allows the boon to have some synergy in team use. A team that wants to have multiple people running boons might see some value out of it. Still weak but could be interesting.

#2: Makes it somewhat more useful to set up a Boon and move it around. It is already kind of pointless to move your boon around when it is already active, especially given the time it takes to reset it; it is basically throwing the match. By increasing the speeds when the boon is active, it helps offset this extra time waste and could have some niche uses in a totem breaking build.

#3 This change is just the second option but making it so it only applies to blessing. With such an increased blessing speed, it might actually be useful to bless a totem in a safe area and then move it to a more high risk area. I think this could promote some more interesting boon gameplay and strategies. Personally my favorite option.

#4 just removes the requirement to have a boon totem up first. As stated in option 2, it is usually pointless to bless another totem when you already have one up due to how much time it takes. This change might make the perk useful in general.

I personally would love to see them buff it with option 3 or 4. Those changes would make the boon somewhat useful and tactical even if still somewhat niche. 3 is the more interesting and fun change of the bunch while 4 would be the most useful and reasonable buff.

• RpTheHotrod
    RpTheHotrod Member Posts: 1,862

For what it's worth, deadline does have a benefit that you may have missed in the description. It gives more skill checks which is super good for builds that you want skill checks on, not to mention more chances at bonus repair. I remember otz getting frustrated because he was running the build where your toolbox recharges itself after enough skill checks pass and he could barely get any skill checks to show up to even use the build, lol.

• Caiman
    Caiman Member Posts: 2,686

I understand that part, +10% is effectively doubling the default skillcheck odds, but it's still a rather small number in the end and I play on console where performance problems making skillchecks harder so I cannot consistently hit Greats. So I'm wishing Deadline did something more, because the requirements (being injured) and downsides (random placements) seem to outweigh the upsides. And even if they weren't there, the upsides would just be boring. I do feel Deadline needs some more oomph added to it, something that makes the wacky skillchecks (which I want to stay because it's unique) feel like a reasonable trade-off.

• camping_site
    camping_site Member Posts: 136

Illumination is underwhelming. I would swap seeing chests for seeing all other survivors. It takes time to find totem plus placing it, so basically survivor must sacrifice the most valuable - doing gens, which is a big trade off (Mikaela smoking in the corner nervously) considering boons are loud and easly removed by the killer.

• Khastrx
    Khastrx Member Posts: 156
    edited February 5

Boons in general need some dev attention, but Illumination is one of the most underwhelming, more so than Dark Theory. The new boon could at least offer a bonus to repair, cleanse, and chest opening speeds for any objects highlighted within it's range, thinking 5-10% maybe. Just reading the aura alone is pretty garbage, when things like Deja Vu or Detective's Hunch exist.

Post edited by Khastrx on
  • jonifire
    jonifire Member Posts: 1,437

I think they should at least make the boon/repair/ opening chest speed 10%-15% for it to be worth.

• Adrien
    Adrien Member Posts: 93
    edited February 5

"Champion of light" : good balance. No need for changes.

"Boon : illumination" needs to offer more. Chests are rarely touched and you have plunderer's instinct, gens already have Déjà vu.

I think being able to see the aura of the other survivors map wide would be great on top of the existing effects with a lingering effect of 4 secs after living the area. And why not a 20% cleansing/blessing speed instead of 10 to make it relevant ?

"Deadline" : Being injured and having hard skillchecks is a lot of downsides for the moderate bonus. Remove the injured condition IMO. Keep figures the same to avoid "out of control" synergies.

Post edited by Adrien on
  • Skillfulstone
    Skillfulstone Member Posts: 763

Boon: illumination is arguably the worst Boon perk to date, even worse than Dark Theory. The info it gives is outshined by other perks and even maps are more practical due to not being a time-sink for such a mediocre effect, not to mention the cleansing/blessing bonus it offers is also not only negligible but also outshined by another perk. The perk only has some semblance of value in a SWF, and even then it's better to just call out gen locations manually.

The perk is simply too inconsequential to be of any reliable value, especially in SoloQ which is the majority of games.

To be better, the perk, as it's name implies, could "illuminate" the Killer and act as a Boon version of Wiretap OR could perhaps reveal gen progress through aura intensity while inside the Boon, revealing totems & teammates as well as chests and gens could also be decent.

Champion of Light is a decent perk, not too powerful and not completely useless, it has decent synergy with Residual Manifest and can be used to make flashlight saves a bit safer. It doesn't really need any changes.

Deadline is utterly and completely worthless, in fact it's a detriment for inexperienced players since, while injured, it's akin to facing an easier version of Doctor when doing gens (and all of us long-time players can freely admit, our early days were rather difficult when going against skillcheck builds). If the stipulation to be injured was removed it would be a little better but it's mostly the "skillchecks appear at random places" that ruins the synergies it could have. Doing Hyperfocus skillchecks with Deadline is tough even for the average player.

• Yoshirama
    Yoshirama Member Posts: 381

Please, make Boon: Illumination show totems too, that would be worth to look for totems and set them.

• Harbinger1985
    Harbinger1985 Member Posts: 70

Champion of Light - I'm not a good flashlight user, but it seems OK. Flashlight blinds a bonus with Haste and Hindered to the Killer it's OK.

Boon: Illumination - A really nice perk, when I first used it was a "wow...!" effect. But it should be bigger radius or show other totem in the maps too. And at the Endgame Collapse it should show exit gates and the maybe the hatch?

Deadline - Well, I try to think how this perk can be a bonus. :D Not bad, I use the default perks for Alan + Resilience which gives 9% faster fixing, healing etc.

• Belzher
    Belzher Member Posts: 466

Champion of Light is fine, the others feels too weak, probably need to tweak the numbers a little bit.