Will Windows of Opportunity be nerfed too?

Options
2»

Comments

• Caiman
    Caiman Member Posts: 2,279
    Options

And by that point, the generators are done and the game is over.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,353
    Options

And they wanted to shake the meta up. But I don’t remember seeing as many people complain about BBQ. You could easily avoid it by jumping in a locker, after all.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,921
    Options

If it's nerf, my guess it's probably going to be timed, so once a chase starts it shows for a bit before going.

Unpopular opinion, but I'd be fine if it's nerfed. I'm not fussed either way, but I'd like to see more variety in builds and meta shake ups, alongside buffing weaker perks, just makes things more interesting.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,788
    Options

Honestly if ulti weapon ends up getting nerfed any time soon I would say windows should be to. Both accomplish the same thing for either side, taking away the need for game sense.

• joel84
    joel84 Member Posts: 139
    Options

I think a short cooldown is really good for this perk

• Eleghost
    Eleghost Member Posts: 1,050
    Options

Well judging by how many people have argued against it and defended it probably means it needs adjusted in someway. Seeing every pallet and route you can run is a massive bonus. Compare this to being swf with comms and certain perks. Obviously one gives more information but windows shows you pallets or loops you may have been blind to. Kind of breaks the map randomness aspect to be honest if you know where all pallets/windows are in all tiles.

• RFSa09
    RFSa09 Member Posts: 625
    Options

we had nicolas, ellen and alan, all of them have good perks, people just don´t know how to use them

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,250
    Options

I don't see it getting nerfed. It doesn't have a huge effect on matches and its pick rate drops significantly when you go into high MMR. It's also really easy to counter with Blindness and there are multiple ways to inflict Blindness (the easiest of which is simply opening a locker and being in the general vicinity a la UW).

It helps low and mid range survivors the most but, if they can't loop, it doesn't help them at all. It's not that strong of a perk. If it went up the higher you went in MMR they'd nerf it but for a perk that only mostly benefits newbies and mid-range I don't see it.

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564
    Options

I know how to use them but yet they are garbage.

Also i love how you are calling community unskilled just because they don't use those perks lol.

• RFSa09
    edited March 3
    Options

plot twist is probably one of the best perks in the game, dramaturgy is decent, from ellen we have lightfooted, not strong alone but it´s a beast of a perk if you have no scratch marks, the trap is good and lucky star is decent for solo q, alan have champion of the light, literally just a better version of the trap in some aspects and you can shift tech with it

Not being the 4 best crutches in the game doesn't make the perks bad, it's like saying that artist is garbage because she's not as strong as the nurse lol

Also I love how you try to look for the worst possible interpretation of a text to try to insult me

• RFSa09
    Options

Also i love how you are calling community unskilled just because they don't use those perks lol.

inducing that I think the ´´community´´ is bad at the game and I ´´am the guy, the dude, the different one´´ (saying that i am arrogant)

Not knowing the potential of a perk doesn't make you bad at the game, the perks are relatively new, it's common for players to not realize how good they are

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,214
    Options

???

Plot Twist, Light-Footed, and Champion of Light are all just flat out strong perks. The others might be more arguable (and I would argue some of the remaining perks are decently good, just not all of them), but those ones aren't. Where's the joke supposed to be?

• RFSa09
    Options

You blamed people don't know how to use them if they dislike those perks

no? tell me when i said anything bad about the players who doesn´t know how to use it, a perk being good or not is a fact, no matter if you like it or not, what is good enough for you then? old MFT?

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 4,952
    Options
  • RFSa09
    Options

@MikaelaWantsYourBoon also i´m pretty sure we shuldn´t be talking about the thing we are talking about, so my bad

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 4,952
    Options

Just a thought, what if WoO worked a bit like OoO? Every 30s you are shown all objects for 3s, maybe even map wide so that you know exactly where the dead zones are, buts not constantly monitoring all pallets and vaults all the time.

It would require again some game sense to interpret the info and play ahead, but still give enough info to get by. And the dreaded automaton playstyle of "beeline to pallet, predrop, rinse, repeat" would be a lot less aggrevating and viable.

Just a thought that accured to me while killing some time doing my business.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,170
    edited March 3
    Options

Lets say 1 third of total survivors are good (1 third are mid and 1 third are bad) enough to chain titles without the need of WoO.

Nerfing the perk would not affect the skilled 1 third. But heavy affect the other 2 third survivors. Which mean that would not solve killers' "problem" (losing against skilled 1 third), while the 2 third survivors die alot more often, increasing kill rate and lead to nerfing killer in general.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,356
    Options

It probably will given it's by far the most popular survivor perk in the game and has been for ages, despite being a DLC perk.

For the sake of promoting variety, it needs some kind of nerf.

• jesterkind
    Options

No, I'm being serious. What are you talking about? There have been good perks. Even being as aggressively selective as possible, there's no way of interpreting Champion of Light as a bad perk.

• Ayodam
    edited March 3
    Options

When BHVR released the most used perks around patch 6.1.0 not so long ago, was WoO in the top ten for survivors? IIRC, it wasn’t. WoO while always a solid perk only became popular because other popular survivor perks were whittled down into nothing.

Believe it or not but there will always be a survivor META. You can’t rid the game of that. And if you just make all survivor perks bad—guess what? People don’t enter futile games with bad perks (what killer mains hope will happen), they just stop playing. Lol. It’s Deathgarden 2.0 (what BHVR wants to avoid).

Edit: spelling

Post edited by Ayodam on
  • WolfyWood
    WolfyWood Member Posts: 308
    Options

Yeah I am not sure why this appears to be a difficult concept to grasp for this forum. It almost feels like forced contrarianism.

Content Creators are not above criticism and definitely not omnipotent, but some of them compete for money so if these perks truly were diamonds in the rough it would be widely known.

• Ayodam
    Options

When these content creators play to win, they are not using these perks. 🤷🏽‍♀️ If I ever see them at all it’s in a meme-style build with the players literally throwing the game to make the perks work. And they explicitly state that they’re just messing around.

• jesterkind
    Options

This thread is about Windows of Opportunity, the number one most picked perk. Is it therefore the strongest perk in the game? No, that's laughable. It barely does anything at all.

Pickrate does not always correlate with strength. People pick perks based on a number of factors that includes strength, but isn't limited entirely to it. Take Windows again: Why do people run Windows? Because it's nice. It's nice to know for sure you are avoiding deadzones, and it's nice to see what your options are. You can get almost all of this information just from keeping an eye out, and what little you can't get that way can come from stronger perks, but Windows is the most convenient, accessible, and passive of those. That's why it's picked, not because it's strong.

I don't know or care why top tier players don't run these perks. I don't consider them the gold standard models for the only things you should or could ever do in this game, so I don't particularly care to look into it either.

So, why are they so rare? I could be reductive here, and I wouldn't be wrong to do so. I could just say "because people incorrectly think they're bad", and that wouldn't be inaccurate, it'd just be unhelpful.

There are factors that go into it beyond just community perception; for one, some of them are strong in areas people don't care about. For example, Light-Footed is a really good perk for denying the killer info and breaking chases, but breaking chases tends to be less popular than extending chases, in my experience.

Some of them require playstyles or actions people don't want to go out of their way for. An older example, but Overzealous is a good pick to showcase what I mean here; that perk is quite strong when paired with a boon build and a little careful planning, but most players don't want that, they want passive value from things that just function in the background or require very little extra thought from them. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it also doesn't make the perks they discount for this reason bad either.

Some of them, yes, have some randomness to them, but that's often conflated with the above point in my experience. Something like Chemical Trap is crazy good if put on the right pallet, but some players don't like gambling on being in the right position to use it, even if it's not all that uncommon. People have a bad habit of assuming they have no control over a perk's consistency, though, and that's not always true. Some perks you absolutely can make consistent.

Some of them, it must be said, come from survivors with a bad reputation. An older example again, but Overcome is one of the stronger Exhaustion perks and among the strongest perks period... but pretty much everyone clowns on Jonah, so how many people even have this perk to use it, let alone pay attention to it? I'd argue this is what's happening when you see people immediately discount Cut Loose, even though it's basically just Quick & Quiet with one extra step. Tools of Torment and its associated survivors have a bad enough reputation that people just dismiss all the perks, only Background Player gets to escape this because of how absurdly strong it is in areas people actually care about.

Also, they're new, so fewer survivors even have them, let alone have put in any thought to figuring out the best use case for them yet. That is a factor that can't be ignored, how many players HAVE the perk is going to affect how many players bring that perk into their trials. Sometimes they're new, sometimes they're gated behind real money, and sometimes it's both.

And then, finally, yeah, there is a tendency to just discount new perks entirely if they aren't game-breakingly strong. Again, people in this thread and you specifically are discounting Champion of Light, a genuinely strong new perk. I do sincerely believe this is 100% a perception and attitude problem, that stacks with the above points.

Notice that only one of the above points actually runs foul of your breakdown of a strong perk. The perks I'm talking about largely do something worth doing, the situations they do it in are under your control, and their consistency in those situations is under your control too. There are just other factors that lead to people choosing other perks.

• Snowbawlzzz
    Snowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,419
    Options
  • RFSa09
    Options

like i said before: not being the best one and being bad are different things

artist is not better than nurse, so artist is bad for you guys? 🤷‍♂️

and the a lot of ´´Content creators´´ made videos about those perks

• WolfyWood
    Options

Killers aren't comparable to perks so that is the first thing.

Secondly this is a PVP game, consistency and efficiency are and should be the determining factors in what makes something good.

Perks that are inconsistent and require wasting efficiency are not good, what is not clicking?

If you do not care what top tier players do then there is no way to give your opinion much weight because you lack credibility. This is not a personal dig at all, but why should one believe that people are just ignorant/stubborn when the people who research and compete in this game for a large part of their living disagree with what you are saying?

• WolfyWood
    Options

The top players of this game frequently interact with laymen though, there are tons of solo-queue experience that they have, granted, their attitudes and overall play-style is abhorrent. Which is why I don't like the CC's of this game, but I still respect their knowledge and ability. They also makes tons of content for casuals and above, so its pretty clear that they have a deep understanding of how the game works at all levels.

DBD isn't similar to Overwatch because Overwatch has a ranked mode and Blizzard's MMR is probably leagues and miles above BHVR's coding.

The problem is that optimization is inherent to something being good. Perks do not exist in a vacuum, so no matter what its ability to perform will always include how it compares to other perks, and things like Lucky Star are terrible even within the niche of terrible perks because they simply do not provide enough benefit to outweigh their conditions. Niche perks would be okay if the game was more casual, but DBD is not casual and by running these perks you are hindering your team, even if player skill typically can close that gap.

The reason people are dissatisfied with survivor perks recently is because all that is being granted are niche perks, which is seriously killing perk variety. This is not a community problem. The pool of meta perks should always be abundant so there's an efficient perk load-out for most playstyles.

Funny enough the problem that people claim is happening on the killer side, where they state that only four killers are viable due to the rest falling to the wayside in higher MMR brackets, is more true for survivor perks than anything.

• Slowpeach
    Slowpeach Member Posts: 691
    edited March 3
    Options

No. Actually I would change it.

Unpopular opinion? I'd actually change Windows to be a base perk at yellow level with Windows increasing the range of the vision so that purple is the same as it is now. Just so people aren't paying a perk tax. I'd also make it so that it no longer sees breakable doors which have no meaning whatsoever to survivors. I play 80% killer so don't go accusing me of being a survivor main :D.

Playing solo no matter how good you are also means you have no idea what has been dropped and what hasn't unless you run windows. Alternatively, the reverse of windows could work as base kit. You know what pallets have been dropped already.

This game has terrible new player onboarding and kill rates are much higher at lower levels then at high. Such a change would help with this immensely. Not to mention it'd stop being a perk tax when playing solo.

At the end of the day pallets should be a stall and using them wisely is a skill players learn as they get better. Simply having windows and running and dropping every pallet you see without playing each tile properly still loses the game.

Realistically if Windows is too big of a problem, it's probably because the map is poorly designed rather then the perk being too strong. Windows simply gives information that should honestly be public knowledge, using that information wisely is the skill. Windows doesn't do that for you.

• jesterkind
    Options

Couple things wrong here;

So, first, I am not comparing DBD to Overwatch. You're pulling a "DBD is like hockey" on me here; the point is that the concept I'm talking about is present in most games that have some kind of pro scene, and I used Overwatch as an example because I had personal experience with it. In most games where there's a pro scene, that pro scene's gameplay is going to look very different to a regular match.

The pros can have good insight, I was a little too broad with my first statement, but they are not objectively correct by default. By all means pay attention to them if you want, but they are not giving us the word of god on how strong a perk is.

Second, optimisation is NOT inherent to whether something is good. There's really no gentle way for me to say that, it's just flat out wrong. Optimisation is the best of the best, and this is not a binary. It's not "this is the best around" and "this is bad" with no other options, there is a very, very broad middle ground and most perks - including new ones - fall in that middle ground.

Third, are the perks we're getting recently niche, though? Some of them are, but certainly not all of them. Take our most recent survivor, Alan Wake. Three perks, how many of them are niche? Illumination is and would be if it were buffed properly, yes, but is Deadline? No, not really. If it were buffed properly (IE, removing one of the downsides) it'd be a very broad perk. Is Champion of Light? Again, no, it has very broad application in something most players want to do.

Even setting aside that we are just getting generally good perks, the fact of the matter is we're 137 perks deep on just the survivor side. Most of the general and broad perks already exist, without power-creep causing insanely broken perks the devs are going to have to start looking at more niche perks eventually.

Fourth, this might be a semantic nitpick, but there's never going to be a large and broad pool of meta perks, that's antithetical to what a meta is. What there should be is a large and broad pool of viable perks that may not be the absolute best of the best but are absolutely worth running... and we're pretty damn close to that right now.

Both sides claim their pool of viable options is very small. Both sides are wrong.

• Marioneo
    Marioneo Member Posts: 682
    Options

most likely will be nerfed WoO is pretty much a requirement for how good it is

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,788
    Options
  • Rudjohns
    Rudjohns Member Posts: 1,844
    edited March 4
    Options

I highly disagree of this

You nerf and then another perk gets to 30% and is subject of nerf again

The only way out is to actually buff every single perk to the point they can become meta, so the meta variety is infinite

• bearr_trap
    bearr_trap Member Posts: 120
    Options

Where are we getting that Adrenaline is getting nerfed? Where is this information?

• HeroLives
    HeroLives Member Posts: 1,985
    Options
  • jmwjmw27
    jmwjmw27 Member Posts: 264
    Options

It probably will, seeing how high of a usage rate it has, though I hold out hope that the developers understand that nothing about this perk needs changing. Windows serves two main purposes right now:

1 - Allowing solo players to know what resources their teammates have used/breakable walls killer has kicked

2 - Allowing lesser experienced players to know where resources are

1 is not a problem and is actually good as a step to allow solo players to get closer to SWF level in more balanced ways. And all taking windows away will do at the lower level is raise the kill rates unnecessarily. For 2, the only map where knowing where pallets are means noobs can play them perfectly is The Game (because they're mostly god pallets you can predrop and play with your brain off), on every other map there is 1 or 2 god pallets at most and nearly every other pallet can be played around and bloodlusted, with average/below average survivors usually performing poorly at unsafe pallets. The predrop issue on The Game isn't an issue with WOO either, it's an issue with the map.

• bearr_trap
    bearr_trap Member Posts: 120
    edited March 5
    Options

I didnt see it when I previously looked at it

I take it back, I did some deeper searching with a different search parameter and found it.