The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

A simple solution for lobby dodging

sinkra
sinkra Member Posts: 386

If someone enters a lobby and leaves (either killer or survivor) put a time limit on when they can queue up again. It could be 2 min or 5 min. Maybe stacking. It cannot be that players can instantly get into a new lobby they prefer.

Comments

• Archol123
    Archol123 Member Posts: 4,634

How about no? What if you encounter people with racist names or typing such atrocities in chat, and now the guy that does not want to play with them has to get a penalty? How would you make an excuse for people that dodge with good reason?

• Atom7k
    Atom7k Member Posts: 245

I was in a beta group where the names and rank of survivor where hidden from the killer. BHVR wanted to test if that would reduce lobby dodging but people would just check out the profiles to then guess how good survivors are and if they are playing together.

Anyway's I don't think lobby dodging is that much of an issue. You still get into a match fairly quick.

• sinkra
    sinkra Member Posts: 386

If you see that you report them. Let's be real, nobody is dodging lobbies because they didn't like another person's name. They're doing it because they think it looks challenging and want an easier lobby.

• Archol123

That is really petty to report someone over something you cannot even clarify as to why it happened... No, that's just a horrible idea...

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,307

While it's a nuclear option I'd genuinely be fine with if all else fails, I'd rather just see them absolutely nuke the reasons dodging is even a potential issue from the game.

Heavily rework or just plain remove "backfill matchmaking", hide prestige and make profiles completely inaccessible until after the match.

• mugi
    mugi Member Posts: 54

There are settings available to hide player names or disable chat display. I think it would be a good idea to utilize those. Additionally, the likelihood of encountering individuals making inappropriate remarks while we're waiting is low.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,127

One of the reasons players are allowed to dodge lobbies is to avoid matches with a bad ping. That's why there's a ping indicator in the lobby, so players can try to avoid matches where they're going to rubberband around and not be able to do anything.

Punishing people for dodging lobbies means those players will instead go into matches with the intention getting out of the match as fast as possible, or they'll disconnect on the offering screen which means everyone has to re-queue up. I'd rather those players dodge the lobby.

I also play on Switch, and I'll often dodge a lobby if I see another Switch player in it. No solo queue survivor wants to be in a match with multiple Switch players, because unless the killer is also on Switch it's just going to be a miserable time, it's not worth playing out. When I can't be at the screen I wish other Switch players would dodge when they join the lobby and see me instead of tanking the match by sticking around. It's stubborn and selfish to not dodge in that scenario, the queue is fast and there's no punishment for dodging, so there's no reason to stick around and ruin the match.

• Archol123

It is still a weird thing to punish people for leaving a lobby as there can be good reasons to do so, you are not yet committed to playing the game.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,726

There are some legit reasons to leave a lobby, emergencies, known cheaters, brutal ping, etc. Outside of those decent reasons it drops into the selfish area mostly, shopping around for an easier trial imo. Whether it's a suspected SWF or a protest over this thing or that, to me it's quite selfish really.

However each and every dodge messes up their matchmaking system badly, leading to terrible backfilling. Queues are often fast because it priorities wait times over quantity matches, and this is because every time this community is asked we say "yup, queue times please".

So each dodge borks up the matchmaking as we pass a perceived problem along to other players. This is likely the source of the complaints of gross overmatches occuring, be it a new surv being wreaked by a skilled veteran killer or a brand new killer being destroyed by very good survs, solos or not.

How far are we willing to harm other players' experiences just to maybe improve our own? 🤔

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,726

If you're referring to Anonymous Mode, those of us on Xbox cannot even use it, so that's out.

It is true us consolers don't have that chat box, which might be a good thing overall.