If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Is Blight's hug teching confirmed to be removed?

Options
Nebula
Nebula Member Posts: 1,392

Does the hitbox collision improvement confirm that hug tech will be removed with it?

If so, is this a good change?

I'm conflicted on removing things that increase skill ceilings and promote skill expression. Yes, Blight is dominant, especially the good ones that can utilize hug tech to get hits at almost every pallet, but do we really want to lower skill ceilings?

Comments

• Nebula
    Options

A shame quite honestly. I feel there's a lot of skill expression being removed from the game

• Nebula
    Options

It really is a shame. Skill expression can already feel pretty minimal in this game with the way maps, pallets and powers are designed. Removing things such as this only neuter a players potential and ceiling. Why punish the players who have spent hundreds and thousands of hours perfecting their favorite killer?

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,001
    Options

Care to explain why?

If you are going against blights hug teching, you are probably high MMR, meaning you should be able to deal with it. Do you see blights winning constantly in comp, because it certainly isn't happening as much as say a nurse does.

If you are average MMR, you aren't going against blights who even know what hug teching is. Or if they do, they do it poorly.

• Nebula
    Options

Bug or not you can’t deny that it’s skill expression. It’s not something your average player can just pick up and immediately do. It takes dozens if not hundreds of hours to perfect. Especially learning the tiles you can properly pull them off on. There’s so much nuance and depth that hug teching added to Blight. Whether it feels cheap or not you can’t deny it added to his skill ceiling.

• caligraph
    caligraph Member Posts: 328
    Options

Im guessing that heal tech, point tech, and cj techs are all unskilled bug exploits too?

• Smoe
    Smoe Member Posts: 2,469
    edited March 28
    Options

No idea what those are but if they gave players an unfair advantage over the other side, then yes i will say they are.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,208
    Options

Perhaps we can put our differences aside, to agree on this one. Because I certainly do agree.

It has always been nothing more than a bug. Understanding an exploit doesn't change the fact that it is an exploit, something that was never meant to be in the game. It is good they are removing it.

• Reinami
    edited March 28
    Options

If you are average you are definitely not going against people intentionally hug teching. Average players are getting nurses who have < 50% kill rate. Average players are massively losing to killers like the pig because they don't know how to deal with traps.

So either:

• You aren't going against blights who hug tech effectively and just think you are.
    • The blights you are going against aren't hug teching on purpose and don't know what they are doing
    • You are not as "average" as you think you are, and are actually going against pretty good blights

Perhaps you are better than you think you are, and are in the bottom of the top MMR bracket. I have a whole post talking about why people who are there are going to have worse games due to matchmaking.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,299
    Options

I’d wait with such a statement until the actual blights get their hands on it. For all we know they’re gonna discover another smooch tech, wind turbine tech or lagtech 2.0.

• BlightAbuser
    BlightAbuser Member Posts: 106
    Options

Somebody with some sense. Very much an L decision by BHVR. Blight is going to be much more boring. “Oh man I can’t wait to play this loop with the same bump logic over and over and over.” Hug tech is what kept blight fun and unique.

• Smoe
    Smoe Member Posts: 2,469
    edited March 28
    Options

Probably one of the few things we can agree on, there is no mind gaming involve, no counterplay and the better a player is at utilizing it, the harder it is for the other side to do anything about it.

DBD is not like other games, there is a fine line when it comes to fair and unfair and if there is nothing the other side can do about it outside of just being lucky, then it isn't healthy for the game and should be changed regardless of how long it takes people to exploit it to it's full potential.

• Rogue11
    Rogue11 Member Posts: 1,276
    Options

Hopefully it's not replaced by equally annoying exploits. And they should fix Oni's flick exploit while they're at it.

• BlightAbuser
    Options
  • Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,279
    Options

Skill expression begins to die when a game grows past a certain point. If a game becomes more PvP oriented, it becomes less expressive in skill.

Dbd is experiencing both of these imo. No longer the party game they based it on, its grown to people complaining about the party aspects. They want it a sweaty pvp comp game.

Its strange, I love this game and want it to be better. But every patch is something to be down about, changes that make no sense, etc. I just don't understand it anymore and it feels more bad than good. Factorio has been pulling me more than Dbd lately. And thats strange to me lol.

I'd love it if BHVR sold dbd to another studio. Its an RNG crap shoot if it would be better, but I'd convinced BHVR doesn't have the capacity to keep this game fresh now thats its this big. They have talent is all areas except design, and its just frustrating.

• GeneralV
    Options

Probably one of the few things we can agree on, there is no mind gaming involve, no counterplay and the better a player is at utilizing it, the harder it is for the other side to do anything about it.

Precisely.

In Blight's case it is already surprising just how long it took for it to actually be fixed, considering it was never intended to begin with. Blight is already an extremely powerful killer, allowing him to get hits where he clearly shouldn't thanks to an exploit isn't fair and, as you've said, shouldn't be here.

• Nebula
    Options

I’m sorry but no mind gaming and no counterplay is simply just not true at all

• ohheyitsbobcat
    ohheyitsbobcat Member Posts: 1,647
    Options

As a follow up are you using average to describe the majority of players in the game or average as a skill level because this might be a semantics issue on my end.

Any survivor who doesn't know what a pig trap is or is getting baby Nurses is more a beginner in my book and not even close to average skill.

If you're using average as a description of the overall playerbase then I can actually agree with you to a degree.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,279
    Options

Ugh…

Man you always seem to have the answer to everything ever. Neither side of this disagreement can prove jack. You're just tossing out your thoughts, and wrapping them as facts.

Should we continue? I feel your posts are always trying to just stir a pot into getting a thread closed. Maybe Im wrong, but to recap @ohheyitsbobcat , If you are an average player, you absolutely aren't seeing good blights, you're losing to Pig traps, MASSIVELY btw, all because you have no idea how to deal with them. These are facts. Dispute them with @Reinami please.

• Reinami
    edited March 28
    Options

I am using average as in the description of the player base. Because any time i say anything about how nurse is the only viable killer at high mmr the response i get back is: "those survivor players are rare, the average player isn't experiencing this".

• Rogue11
    Rogue11 Member Posts: 1,276
    Options

No, I want killer mechanics to have their intended turn rate limits not be exploitable for easy hits. If a survivor made it to a safe area and turned a corner around a wall in time, you don't deserve a hit by throwing your mouse across the room, changing your dpi on the fly, or pointing your camera up to break intended turn rate limits. That is not skill expression. That is an exploit. It has been stated as such multiple times over the course of 2-3 years and they are finally fixing it. This is good.

• ohheyitsbobcat
    ohheyitsbobcat Member Posts: 1,647
    Options

Okay, then I can actually agree with you a bit and this was a semantics mistake on my part.

• BlightAbuser
    Options

easy hits? An Oni that can consistently and successfully pull off 180’s is rare. You sir need to go play some of these killers you want to nerf.

• 100PercentBPMain
    100PercentBPMain Member Posts: 340
    Options

When you've been oppressive and OP for so long, balance feels unfair. Oh well.

I'm not totally heartless, i just think it's better for the game in the long run. Worse killers have been treated worse than Blight.

Blight is just a net negative to player retention.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 5,951
    Options

Hugtech had to go. There was definitely mastery for it, but the hugtech had a low skill floor that was more than enough to do the job. After some thought however, I do think his flicks should stay though because they allow skill expression for both sides and they're extremely satisfying to pull off and outplay.

• GeneralV
    edited March 28
    Options

the data doesn't lie.

But it doesn't tell you the full picture, either. Balancing the game around the average experience, which the vast majority of the community experiences, doesn't mean you are being guided by numbers alone.

You have to look at things individually, carefully analyze each and every thing in this game to see whether or not they require changes. Skull Merchant, for instance, only has the highest kill rate in the game because players tend to suicide on hook against her.

As a Freddy main, I could try and explain why his kill rate is high, but the fact will remain that he has been in need of a "dework", if I may put it that way, for over four years. Nurse ignores everything in the game, but her kill rate is a bit low because she takes time to master.

In order to balance the game, these things have to be taken into consideration. Without context, data is useless.

• Unusedkillername
    Unusedkillername Member Posts: 121
    edited March 28
    Options

They (BHVR) don't think of this as the big nerf that everyone is talking about. It's listed as a minor change.

Aside from that I remember back in the day a dbd dev that i don't want to name because its nothing that should be taken personally and people often do and have posted mean things about this dev in the past. Said that freddy is the most skillful killer because the top 1% of freddy players outperformed the top 1% of nurse players (im pretty sure this was back when freddy slowdown addons existed) but this was also at a time when it was super easy to cheat infinite BPs

For context. you used to be able to cut your PCs access to the internet and all the game would do is not let you progress past the main menu while the game was open then cheat engine in as many bps as you wanted and connect to the internet again. I never did this hence why I haven't got every killer P3 and legacy Portraits but i know people did.

So in fact the data lied then because the top 1% of freddys could just slow every game to a halt and people didn't want to play it and they just turned their brains to soup against him. The data has lied in the past and as @GeneralV post shows is that its not something that can be taken at fact value today as still.

The people in this post understand the point you are making but still I think you have a distorted view of the average player because you are trusting that data at face value too much.

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,397
    Options

I'm not sure how anyone can believe hug teching was ever better than just playing blight at majority of tiles. Saying it lacked counter play is like openly admitting ignorance.

• Hexling
    Hexling Member Posts: 657
    Options
  • Dumbtecher
    Dumbtecher Member Posts: 20
    Options

Rare seems like a reach. I face them all the time, so it's expected at this point. IMO the only thing keeping oni in top 10 is the unintended flicks.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,246
    Options

We all know matchmaking in this game is pretty dire. While it didn't happen -that- often, I do occasionally get matched with blights who can hug tech well and I'm awful as survivor.

• Reinami
    Options

That same dev also thinks (thought?) that pallet freddy was stronger than trap freddy.

• Hyuu
    Hyuu Member Posts: 32
    Options

I love seeing all the boosted survivors cheer for hugteching being removed because they don't know how to counter it. Is hugtech strong? Yes. Does it require a TON of skill, gamesense, and practice to get good with. YES. As someone who plays Killer/Survivor 40/60, I can tell you that blight is probably one of the hardest killers to master right next to huntress. If you are getting beat by a blight, its not because blight is "op". Its because they practiced for tens, hundreds, or even thousands of hours.

If you are somehow getting into lobbies where the blights can hug tech well enough to down you and make you whine, go on the forums, and complain, then you probably are in a high MMR lobby and shouldn't be there.

• MB666
    MB666 Member Posts: 965
    edited March 29
    Options

about time , now can we go back to good old days were this KILLER was actually fair and fun for both sides in terms of strength i was soo bored of seeing hug tech on 99% of blight players since this exploit was found by the community.

¡¡¡PINBALL GAMEPLAY IS BACK BABY!!!

• Jocelynbee
    Jocelynbee Member, Administrator, Mod, Co-ordinator Posts: 1,191
    Options

Just wanted to clarify that the PTB is for testing, and things may still be adjusted, changed, or omitted before going live.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,353
    Options

A 60/40 killer survivor split but you think Huntress is as difficult to master as Blight? And that this killer isn’t overpowered—it’s just a skill issue? Yikes.

• BlightAbuser
    Options

I would absolutely DIE if y’all decided to omit the changes and make hug tech basekit. 💀

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,249
    Options

I think it has been well over a year since DS was nerfed, and I really had wished that BHVR would have thought of SOMETHING to discourage survivors from weaponizing DS, but instead, BHVR is changing DS back to 5 seconds, and killers will once again need to deal with survivors that want to punish a killer even if the killer isn't tunneling?

The conspicuous action nerf didn't stop survivors from getting healed, then running straight for the killer to try to aggressively bodyblock them. Let's be real here, DS was never a problem when it was being used as an actual anti-tunnel perk. The issues with DS were 100% based on survivors that wanted to weaponize it.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,157
    Options

I mean it says master, if you put everything that would go into mastering both characters I think they come pretty close in terms of difficulty to perform high level tactics map knowledge ect.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,353
    edited March 29
    Options

The learning curve for Blight is much greater. Huntress doesn’t require the same degree of skill expression, and there are even ranged killers who require more skill than her (they don’t have the unusually large hitboxes Huntress gets). Like I can’t believe this is an argument.

• Interocitor
    Interocitor Member Posts: 141
    Options

Theatre of Magic homebrew mod looks weird, pinside would not approve.