We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Potential Energy exploit has potential to be a cool basekit mechanic.

Before throwing tantrum, read the WHOLE post, pleast.

Let's get this out of the way: Potential Energy exploit needs to be fixed. Saving 20 seconds on every generator without using up toolbox charges (and not even counting great skillchecks) is ridiculous and needs to be removed ASAP.

However now that I actually know how this works, I think a way weaker version of this should be in the base-kit of survivor skill set.
Watch this vid if you didn't see the exploit in action so you know what I am talking about:

Look how many things you have to do to repair generator faster. Switch from normal repairing to toolbox, activating perk multiple times, hitting skillchecks and having to do all of this as quickly as possible for the biggest gains…

I actually love this! It actually feels like working on a generator and not sitting and yawning the whole time.

My suggestion:

Add a minigame on the generator with exactly the same mechanics (but you don't need toolbox and perks for this). You have to use one button to repair, then the other, then charge something, then release it, all this jazz. If you do everything correctly you should have saved like… 5 seconds of total repair time (or something similiar) when compared to normal repairing (normal repairing should still be an option).

This way you can tryhard and attempt to finish gen ASAP, but if killer or perk interrupts you, you loose big chunk of progress you didn't put onto the gen just yet despite sitting on it for longer time (the release energy mechanic).
High risk, high reward.
Or you can do the gen without this minigame which is slightly slower, but not as risky.

I like high risk high rewards mechanics and adding it to the very core of gameplay would freshen the game up a lot!

Comments

• SoGo
    SoGo Member Posts: 1,024

The gens could use some more creative ways to pass the time while repairing.

People would legit fall asleep on gens if not for skill checks existing, but gens are still the most boring objective.

So I'm all in for new gen minigames/ways to interact and repair

• Archol123
    Archol123 Member Posts: 4,634

When the skull merchant mini game got introduced I hoped we would get more of these things or it was one of multiple possible mini games, it would actually be great to have some other things to do than just the boring skill checks for 90 seconds every Gen.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 3,117

The idea of more interesting mechanics is good, though I'm not sure this exact iteration of letting go and triggering other effects is the mechanism to go for. The problems you'll need to overcome are mostly related the question, are you considered repairing for the entire duration?

• How are skillchecks that trigger as you let go to do the advanced repair version handled, and how is this made distinct from just letting go normally?
    • How does this interact with Madness and does it limit the number of madness skillchecks that can proc over it's duration?
    • How does this interact with killer perks like Oppression, Eruption, Surge, Dead Man's Switch?
    • How does it interact with survivor perks like Prove Thyself, Better Together, Friendly Competition, Hyper Focus, Stake Out?
    • Whats the skillcheck failure condition for the moments where you aren't physically repairing gens?

The core idea of making skillchecks more interesting is fine, but changes can't be too radical otherwise we start getting potentially problematic interactions.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,466

there is already mindgame in generators. It is called skill-checks and there is already perk that increases skill-check difficulty to make mini-game rewarding. Hyperfocus already enforces staying on a generator.

Potential energy exploit has near 0 risks and only has upsides. The perk needs fixing.

• Archol123

I mean all he is advocating for is getting a different minigame for gens, which is totally OK... I don't know about you, but after years those skill checks that weren't too interesting to begin with just became so boring...

• Ohyakno
    Ohyakno Member Posts: 1,093

I'm not certain survivors need any tools to do gens faster.

• Archol123
    edited May 3

It is not about doing them faster, but less boring... Doing gens is like waiting for grass to grow or paint to dry...

For all I care they could take exactly the same time, as long as it is more interesting to do.

• Ohyakno

Nah, you said it saves 5s of repair time. That's 20s across four survivors. That is pretty significant.

• Archol123

I didn't say anything like that... But sure it could... If you hit all the greats during a normal Gen you will safe that or maybe even more, depending on your skill check luck.

• Ohyakno
    edited May 3

"...Add a minigame on the generator with exactly the same mechanics (but you don't need toolbox and perks for this). You have to use one button to repair, then the other, then charge something, then release it, all this jazz. If you do everything correctly you should have saved like… 5 seconds of total repair time (or something similiar) when compared to normal repairing (normal repairing should still be an option)."

Is this not you in the OP? Did a ghost hijack your body and write that so that you have no recollection? I know some very good exorcists.

• caligraph
    caligraph Member Posts: 359
  • Archol123

No I m not the OP ^^ Do you need new glasses?

Ssajbambusa is...

• Archol123

Can you quote me on that? Because as I already pointed out I am not the OP of this post...

• Ssajbambusa
    Ssajbambusa Member Posts: 496

This would work exactly like Potential Energy exploit.

You have 2 buttons to repair and when using the alternative button (2) you don't repair the gen, you store the repair energy. Then when you max it, you release it into the generator for burst of repair and can repeat the process.
    Energy cannot be stored on a survivor, if you get interrupted or just stop for more than a second for any reason, you loose all the stored energy… so you can't charge at gen A to burst gen B.

High risk (can't be interrupted and waste all the stored repair) high rewards (in general, slightly faster than normal repair).

• Ssajbambusa
    Ssajbambusa Member Posts: 496

It's high risk, high reward system. Majority of the times survivors would get interrupted and waste all the stored repair before releasing it (I.E it could only be released once you fill it completely, not at any times).

Gens already take longer than before and I don't think this would be harmful to the game, quite opposite. People like to feel like they did something good and in result objective got finished faster. Great skillchecks for example. Seeing a bar fill up instantly for x% is more satysfying to average human than slowly filling it up. That's why flat damage buffs in game like LoL were replaced with "every third hit x happens".

• hermitkermit
    hermitkermit Member Posts: 374

That’s a bit out of place. No need to belittle anybody. Besides that not even the OP. But yes I agree that gens go fast enough right now and don’t need any other buffs for speed. I think redesigning how gens are repaired with more of an interactive skill check system could be interesting though, just keep the value you’d get the same as the current system.

• Archol123

I find it more amusing than anything that he didn't even take the time to read who the OP of the post was just assuming it was me for whatever ridiculous reason and now not accepting the L and apologizing xD

• Ohyakno

No, sometimes I get anxiety about checking notifications. I can only do it sometimes, so I didn't see any replies.

Anyway, they're right about me misquoting the wrong person. I don't particularly care as my point stands and op said it'd take time off gens.

@Ssajbambusa it doesn't matter how "high risk" it is. People will optimize any aspect of a game so that it gets perfected if you let them. There's a reason they made gens take longer years ago and tacitly reverting that cancels out the reason they made that change to begin with. So you have to look at any changes like that on a best case scenario with the best survivors which would be a consistent -15/20s off gens.

• Archol123

Your point is still wrong though... Because hitting great skill checks also cuts off time of a generator, I think 1% (0.9seconds) per great... It is not too far off to assume that you would get 5 skill checks during 90 seconds of Gen working. Overall it would not make gens go quicker, unless of course the minigame you would get there is way easier and almost free compared to regular skill checks.

• Dream_Whisper
    Dream_Whisper Member Posts: 749

I would be down with brand new minigame, that have nothing to do with stale skillchecks; as long as it doesn't affect generator repair speeds. Would be very problematic for certain killer perks/powers like Doctor's madness; when it comes to affecting survivors with skillchecks. Just stuff to make fixing Genators less boring yet can be engaging. It can be as simple as doing what TCM did with fusebox interaction in which you need to put the correct number colors in the correct slot for a equal number. They could do other minigames like plugging correct color wires, inserting gears and bolts in correct holes, rerouting power from the battery to the engine, etc.

It also can makes the survivor too engaging and distracted in doing generator efficiency that the killer can easily sneak up on them if they are not listening to the terror radius carefully.

• Archol123

So we all forgetting that great skill checks make gens go faster as well?

On average it should not go faster with new minigames than it does with hitting all great skill checks...

• Dream_Whisper
    Dream_Whisper Member Posts: 749

I haven't forgotten about that... I clearly say that it shouldn't effect Generators speeds in any form of significant way. Like I say, would be tricky to be implemented as it involves Recoding the entire spaghetti code of the game and reworking skill check system all together as well as Rebalancing Generators repair time.

• Archol123

Then the 5 seconds tops would be completely fine wouldn't they?