Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

DbD Consultant program

Mooks
Mooks Member Posts: 14,709
edited May 27 in General Discussions

so, apparently BHVR started another program alongside the Fog Whisperer program which focuses on actual gameplay feedback and decisions. Without actually announcing something officially (as far as I have seen?! - was it mentioned in the anniversary stream?)

they have tied the pixel glasses crow charm behind this program as well (sadge)

imo, this is not the right direction to go.

Nothing against this Hens dude at all - but I really think Content Creators are heavily biased (not necessarily a killer vs survivor thing) and are not the best source for consultation in this regard.
also, do you know who else is part of this program, requirements? Is there a list (I think there is for Fog Whisperers?)

Edit: seems like it’s not at all including only (big) streamers/content creators, and the program has been active for some time. Also there won’t be a list of people inside the program as the people can decide themselves to make it public or not. For me, it was very relieving to get this info.

Post edited by Mooks on

Comments

• Mooks

‘another‘? What are you referring to here?

Also.. how would you determine if this turns out a flop or not?

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 2,009

This program gonna save them a lot of money and time. Hopefully they stay away from any egregiously bias players who only looking to better their role.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775
    edited May 26

I'd do it. Throw my hat in the ring, why not? I've got experience with every level of the game and I listen enough to understand each area's chief complaints

think if you can get enough people from either side, you'll work it out.

• Mooks

I don’t think this program is for us mortals. Only big content creators.

At least that’s what I am assuming, would be cool to get actual information about this program when it does influence the balance and development

• OrangeBear
    OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,636

@dvveet on X/Twitter has gathered information about the program.

https://x.com/dvveet/status/1794584353697042754

Basically, it seems a to be a paid QA job.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775
  • Mooks

I DO hope this is just this dvveets description and not official statement as this kinda sounds insulting for actual QA consultants??!
    And it is reassuring that it’s not only big content creators!

• Mooks

I kinda misread the tweet then. Yeah it seems like Hens said he has been part for quite some time.

Though.. where is the official publication message? Apparently that was two days ago?

• Mooks

Because I cannot imagine that things like Skull Merchant or the Twins Rework made it to live/the PTB without basically every Consultant saying "yeah, this is wrong".

well. It certainly doesn’t need to be approved by every consultant and there will be some that were okay with it - we don’t know how much information they actually work with and which forms these take

• Archol123
    Archol123 Member Posts: 4,634

I think it is a step in the right direction. I guess all those consultant have thousands of hours in the game and basically play it for a living, so they should have quite a good idea when something is a completely terrible idea for example Original Legion, or skull merchant and all that stuff, so that BHVR can get early feedback and just come up with something completely different, the same for certain addon changes like nerfing billys engravings. This will be a good way to not bring out stuff like that again, and maybe also somewhat of a way for the community to bring forth new ideas, depending on how those consultants interact with their community and present their ideas. Considering Otz tends to discuss a lot with his viewers about stuff like that I would assume others do the same.

• OrangeBear
    OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,636

I think it is just dvveets description

I think they must have testers who give balance feedback. Because it's not been said anywhere that these people actually get to playtest things early. So i would think that the people who playtest betas are listened to in regard to balance as well.

And then i think this program is for mainly players of the game.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,222
    edited May 26
  • ChaosWam
    ChaosWam Member Posts: 1,779

On one hand, I'd actually be okay with this. If there's a variety of people sharing their opinions and balance philosophy then a possible decent outcome can come from it.

On the other hand, this is DBD. I reckon they won't listen to half of the suggestions and the other half will be a lot of survivor/killer main arguments.

• Mooks

On one hand, I'd actually be okay with this. If there's a variety of people sharing their opinions and balance philosophy then a possible decent outcome can come from it.

agree with this and at least it was already stated in this thread this is not a program only for big streamers so, I am a bit relieved 😅

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060

It is the weekend, after all. In the end, I guess they received the charm and were allowed to make it public at this point (since people would ask how you can obtain the charm anyway).

In the end, nobody knows what they actually get to test. Might be possible that they were not involved in some of the more unhealthy stuff for the game.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,951

Us Forum posters need a Union!

• CountOfTheFog
    CountOfTheFog Member Posts: 2,156

It's not new.

https://x.com/dvveet/status/1794584353697042754

• Mooks

that was not officially made public though (and may count as a leak?)

• Aven_Fallen
    edited May 26

One of the consultants made a statement:

https://x.com/Deafgirl_gaming/status/1794279443311341788

"Actual official title, over a year. Years unofficial. I also advocate for accessibility through this title."

• VomitMommy
    VomitMommy Member Posts: 2,257

Ok, that's a change I can get behind… I vote for Tippy!

• VomitMommy

I really hope this is actually new and not year old as some say. Otherwise how the hell Twins rework got to PTB?

• Quizzy
    Quizzy Member Posts: 862

this consultant thing has always been a thing for a long time. It's just now coming out. Besides fog Whisperer are more for the branding of dbd. To get the news across the community. Consultants is it's own separate thing

• Mooks

it’s not a new program, Hens states in the tweet in my OP that he has been part of it for a while already. It’s just now made public(?) and/or they added the charm for people in the program.

Also, it’s not like they actually make the final call on this, so don’t blame them for any changes/additions made. It’s a big team working on this game.

p

this hasn’t happened before, it’s still going on from before?

And people have already stated that this is not solely content creators as I assumed at first.

• VomitMommy

Also, it’s not like they actually make the final call on this, so don’t blame them for any changes/additions made.

Oh, don't worry about that, I still blame devs.
    I wonder if they didn't ask on the concept, ignored feedback, or players just failed to realize from concept how bad idea it is…

• BlackRose89
    BlackRose89 Member Posts: 328

I think making all this public was a really bad move on the devs part. I watched spookyloopz VOD about him leaving the FW program and I agree with him. Making this public only makes the Fog Whisper program look like the lesser of the two and as someone else said on this thread, you know have ppl asking the question "Why is X in this? Why isn't Y in this program? Where is my favorite content creator?" etc. Im glad they have ppl who actually play the game to test things but making this public was a dumb move imo. No one really needs to know who is or isnt on this team. Like I didnt need to know Hens was on a playtesting team, that doesn't change anything imo.

• ArkInk
    ArkInk Member Posts: 656

Lame that the crow charm is exclusive to this system, but I trust the DBD content creator space infinitely more than BHVR, so this is a net positive in my book.

• BlackRose89
    BlackRose89 Member Posts: 328

I don't know how others feel but I do think it's dumb that they get an exclusive charm esp since they getting paid as well. Personally I dont care that much about the crow charm but I think its silly to give things like this to a small number of players who just happens work for you as well. It just creates more FOMO and stuff for ppl to complain about. Just my two cents on that matter tho.

• Mondhirsch
    Mondhirsch Member Posts: 226

It's surprising that they got the Pixel-glassed Crow as charm since this charm mentioned the category "April Fools 2024".
    Seems like it was intended to be an April Fools Charm for everyone and was changed for this program.

• Mooks
    edited May 27

it’s not the first charm like that. There is a charm only for devs, one for fog whisperers and one for social media moderators I think. Also the Twitch charm and shirts. So this is really nothing new..

But it’s really random to have this crow be the charm for this program - I don’t see the connection??

Post edited by Mooks on
  • Aven_Fallen

Hens has put up a video with a bit of explanation:

Basically, their input can be pretty limited and it might not be early enough to make it to live. And the last decision is always made by the Devs, so even if a Person is Consultant, this does not mean that they are responsible for nerfing your favorite Killer or that they were the oenes who thought that the PTB-Twins are a great Concept.

Also, it is up to the Consultant to make it public or not. So while we see a lot of Content Creators in it, we can be sure that there are others who are in the program who might not even be Content Creators, but just choose to not make public that they are part of it.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,426

It kind of makes sense now, with some recent Fog Whisperers leaving and popular streamers quitting the game. I wonder if they found out about the program and felt left out?

I don't mind such a program existing, but I just hope the people involved are a mix of killer and survivor players, are unbiased, and are putting the playerbase ahead of their own monetary (ie content) desires.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,960
    edited May 27

Interesting to learn about, makes sense why BHVR have been pretty strong with their changes and listening to community feedback a lot more lately.

Most players who play both sides seem to generally like the direction of game, and the respective mains who only play killer or survivor are salty AF over losing their broken crud. I csn only insgine this group helped with fixing a lot of the nonsense in this game.

The attempts to scapegoat this group with any of DBDs problem in this thread to undermine its influence, despite DBD being the healthiest its been in years is laughable to me. All this sounds like a win for the dev team and DBD to me.

• Brix
    Brix Member Posts: 128
    edited May 27

It was apparently a thing even before Trickster came into the game and only recently came out with it.

• Aven_Fallen

100% agree on that. And I also think that this is the right call from the Devs. There was a time where they got ######### on in the Forums, even in topics which were not really about any changes, someone decided to quote that Dev (because they saw that one of them was posting there) and spam them with some unrelated Nonsense.

So obviously they stop communicating when the Community shows that a normal conversation is not possible.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,951

No, they do read it. I know some developers in private and they have acknowledged my existence here for better and worse.

There are also multiple changes which I have seen go through which I have made passionate posts about.
    I am not the cause of those changes, but If I am able to make good convincing arguments that seem like a better solution for bHVR, then they are willing to go that direction. This is how we know they do read them or they read the reports that Mandy, Rizzo and Peanits make for them. Devs are busy people, cant sit here all day like we do D:

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,565

Hm.

Well.

I don't have any strong opinions about the program, so long as they have input from various kinds of players and not just CC's.

But the crow charm…

Now that one stings.

• tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 844

We can only hope that some of the consultants have pushed back on the idea. This is the first change for the game since I started playing last year that I can't get behind at all. Unless BHVR have feedback from the wider player base that shows most players hate them or something, it seems like an unwelcome out of the blue change to me.

I think it's good that a program like this exists, though. I just hope they have a broad range of voices from all skill levels and they're not only gathering input from streamers and content creators. They tend to be very skilled players and quite often don't see the game in the same way that the rest of us do. They can have totally different play styles to a large portion of the player base (for example, totally abandoning stealth which is still a very viable strategy for a lot of players).