Remote Hooking

Blueberry
Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

I'm kind of wondering if the remote hooking came around for the event because a future killer we have coming has a remote hooking as a component of their kit so they already had the design. Think Dracula after he downs making them sinking them into a pool of blood and appearing on a nearby hook. This would be another interesting way of giving a specific killer better map pressure and time efficiency by making them waste less time picking up and hooking. An interesting way of doing that rather than just slapping another map teleport ability on them.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• wakesafe
    wakesafe Member Posts: 26

it’s pretty boring and promotes sitting on gens. you can’t really interact with a teleport to hook ability so I’d rather not see it at all

• ChaosWam
    ChaosWam Member Posts: 1,725

I like the idea of remote hooking being a perk, but unlike the anniversary it should have a windup timer before you can use it to allow survivors to get the pallet/flashlight save. Like, a second before you can activate it?

• Blueberry

I'll reiterate again. I said for a new killer built around that as his specific time efficiency, not referencing all killers for the event that aren't balanced around it.

• Blueberry
    edited June 29

I've had zero issues getting saves or having saves done against me so I have not seen this issue at all. I think this is more user error on timing than anything.

• Blueberry

It does not promote sitting on gens. The literal only thing it prevents is sabo or body blocking. You can still get flashlight or pallet saves.

• ChaosWam
    ChaosWam Member Posts: 1,725

I'm not entirely sure but I think I've gotten away with more than I should have, personally. But you may also have a point.

That said, in perk form, it may need some kind of drawback to make up for the time saved.

• jezebelthenun
    jezebelthenun Member Posts: 195

I feel like remote hook would have been far more balanced if it teleported to the hook farthest from the killer.

I would probably stop playing if there was a killer who could remove hook to the closest hook with every down, ngl. It negates so many things that give survivors a fighting chance.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,270

I figure such a perk could fill the same niche as perks like Off the Record/DS/Unbreakable, etc. Make it charge its tokens based off things going wrong for the killer, either making it based on chase time (Therefor having a bit of a baseline value) or have it charge off of getting stunned while carrying a survivor.

Anti bully-squad perk, basically.

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,483

The remote hooking is really strong.

I think too strong. Maybe as a Hex. As perk it has to be balanced in some way.

• Blueberry

Oh I mean we could do a perk form, I was referencing a new killer.

• Blueberry

I'm not opposed to furthest hook but I completely disagree on it negating so many things for survivor. It literally negates sabo and body block, that's it. Also, this is talking a new killer, so in exchange for that time efficiency he may not have map mobility or anything, so it could be his only time efficiency he has. So stop playing just because of that does not make any sense to me.

• Blueberry

I agree it's strong, but what would you say is making it too strong? Elaborate

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,197

I actually had a case where I was just outside the TR (32m) and the killer remote hooked right next to me. I instantly unhooked and we both managed to run away and completely lose the killer by the time the realised what had happened.

But yes, any killer power that uses this will have to be comparable to Pyramid Head in some ways, but the benefit would be that hook/unhook/sabo perks on both sides would still work.

• Blueberry
    edited June 30

Well I will say to keep in mind that the reason PH's ability goes to the opposite side of the map is a very different case than remote hooking. Remote hooking is still a hook and activates all anti tunnel perks, cages do not. So hypothetically if cages activated anti tunnel perks then the cage spawning furthest away from him would no longer be necessary as that's the entire reason they do. So while I wouldn't necessarily care if the remote hooking did that as well, I really don't think it's needed or matters.

• Seraphor

You're right. There are other trade offs that would negate the need for it to be the absolute furthest hook. But it should probably still be either a decent distance away so that the killers efforts to pressure the hook are reduced, or alternatively the opposite, you can only remote hook to hooks within x meters, so that you can't always instantly remote hook but instead need to make some ground/time carrying first.

• Blueberry
    edited June 30

Why do you feel it needs to be further away to reduce killers pressure at the hook? How's that any different than normal hooking? Normal hooking you're even closer to the hook he's on that the remote hooking. Essentially my point is the only reason you've given as to why the hook needs to be further are the same issues with the normal hooking we have right now, nothing unique to remote hooking.

Why do you feel the need to add any hook travel time? I'm referencing a new killer balanced around that time saving. So for example, if we took Demo and removed his portal mechanic entirely and gave him remote hooking then you wouldn't say that's saving him too much time because now he lost all his time efficiency of map traversal and info. His kit would be made to be balanced around that hook carry time removal.

• KatsuhxP
    KatsuhxP Member Posts: 610

It would surely increase the preassure, but it wouldn't be something new because pyramid head already can do it and I'd feel it is a very boring way to make him stronger.

I'd rather have a interessting ability you have to use well to get good preassure than just some kind of remote-hook.

In the end it will probably drinking/absorbing blood to get stronger and maybe activate some kind of bloodmagic, maybe even different ones.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,139

Im pretty sure this is from pyramid head's cages being done similarly. They probably just moved it to transferring the hooks.

• Blueberry

That could be the case. Seemed different enough I was wondering if it was a new design.

• Blueberry
    edited June 30

I don't think remote hooking in itself would make them boring. They could have tons of very engaging game play for both sides in their design and the remote hooking is just a side feature for their personal time efficiency. Even potentially some interaction where they have to outplay to earn some kind of tokens to allow the remote hook as well, see PH Torment.

I think people are looking at this in too much of a vacuum rather than in the broader scheme. Rather than a killer designed around it they're just picturing the event where you take a random existing killer and just slap an insta hook on that, which is not what I'm talking about.

• jamally093
    jamally093 Member Posts: 1,620

I will say this I do hope that it doesn't appear in next years anniversary.

• Marc_123

Yeah - you said it the other post.

At this event it is incredible strong because you can get it on every killer.

I was often on death hook - picked up and boom - dead, remote hooked.

There is not the slightest chance anymore that i might wiggle out, the killer find no hook or i get saved anyhow.

Just pick up, dead.

At the moment i can not really imgaine a new killer who has this ability but lacks in other ways therefor.

If they want to make this i guess as some kind of perk.

• Blueberry
    edited June 30

"At this event it is incredible strong because you can get it on every killer."

Well that was speaking in a vacuum. I don't think it's "too strong" when there are many other things the survivors are getting to help them during the event as well as a counter balance.

"I was often on death hook - picked up and boom - dead, remote hooked."

Let's be real, the likelihood of remote hooking affecting or not affecting your outcome there was largely irrelevant. The chance of you surviving from a body block or sabo is low.

"There is not the slightest chance anymore that i might wiggle out, the killer find no hook or i get saved anyhow."

That very, very rarely happens.

None of this seems like reasons it's too strong.

• DeBecker
    DeBecker Member Posts: 89

Hopefully they scrap this "idea" and it never comes back again. It just gives by far too much of an advantage to killers and again it works even better on those killers that already are at the top. Also it has an unhealthy synergy with some perks that are already an issue by themselfs.

Not to mention the game breaking bugs that came with it.

• Seraphor
    edited July 1

Firstly. Remote hooking as it is in the event, is a powerful mechanic. You could, balance wise, make a killer whose power IS remote hooking. I don't think that would be unreasonable. However:

1. I think a killer whose power is exactly this form of remote hooking would be incredibly lacklustre, because they wouldn't have much else going for them. Remote pallet breaks (chase) and remote hooking (time management) could be strong enough together to be their entire power.
    2. If you have a killer whose power is this exact mechanic, you then can't use this mechanic for any future events, and they like to build upon these mechanics each anniversary rather than starting from scratch.

I just think the balance needs to shift a bit. A more reserved form of remote hooking could be a part of a new killers powerset. I would much rather it be a part, than the entire gimmick, and to be just a part, it needs to be tuned down a little.

• Marc_123
    edited July 1

Hm, ok - agree to disagree.

I don´t see the silent mode or pallet as counterplay to that.

I don´t know if you play killer too. The fact i can just turn to the next survivor and hook on the way without fearing any rescue attempt or needing to go to a hook felt really stong for me.

Post edited by Marc_123 on
  • vol4r
    vol4r Member Posts: 225

Nobody likes remote hooking but killer mains. We should never have such thing in a game, period.

It negates too many survivior tactics.

• Blueberry

I've yet to hear a single good reason why it's bad and shouldn't be a thing.

• vol4r
    vol4r Member Posts: 225

Like I said, it negates too many saving tactics for surviviors like pallet saving, body blocking with breakout, sabotaging hooks.

Also saves too much time for killers which doesn't work good for current balance.

• Blueberry

"I don´t see the silent mode or pallet as counterplay to that."

I never said it was counter play. I said it was a counter balance. Two different things.

"I don´t know if you play killer too. The fact i can just turn to the
    next survivor and hook on the way without fearing any rescue attempt or
    needing to go to a hook felt really stong for me."

I do play killer as well. I very rarely fear a rescue attempt. Those are almost never realistically successfully happening bar a very organized 4 man sweat squad where I'm already doing poorly. I do agree the time efficiency save is strong in general, but I don't see how it's like "a problem". It's just a time efficiency bonus they got for the event in the same way Quiet Mode and Party Pallets are extra time efficiency for them by extending chases.

• Ohyakno
    Ohyakno Member Posts: 965

I can go dozens of games without a survivor getting any sort of saves when I pick someone up or go to hook. It's 90% irrelevant.

• VomitMommy
    VomitMommy Member Posts: 2,259

Good way how to kill it. Hexes are just trash on most maps overall except very few.

You want to compare this with Devour Hope, that's completely different power level.

Remote hooking basically saves you are 5-7 seconds per hook. It's not really insane unless you wanted to go Sabo build against it.

• VomitMommy
    VomitMommy Member Posts: 2,259

Second is kinda too much, point of the perk would be to hook asap and leave for next chase.

I could understand like 0.2 sec to make sure latency won't be an issue and it won't be noticable when using it.

Most killers can't really use it that well. It's very strong on killers like Blight, where I can reliably get fast downs and enter next chase asap so survivors have hard to recover.

For normal killers unless there is another survivor next to you, value is not that high in my opinion.