We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Let’s talk…. Cruelty

I’m going to preface this thread by saying that I absolutely do not support griefing in any way shape or form. Nor do I encourage any of the upcoming examples of “cruelty”.

Cruelty. We’ve all felt it. Some of us have acted on it. What do I mean by “cruelty?” You know, the things that rub the salt in. 4-man bleedout. Stun squads, aggressively tunneling one player while ignoring the game as a whole. I’m sure we can come up with more examples.

Question: Does in-game cruelty raise the stakes of a trial? Nobody wants to be bled out for 4 min, no one wants to be eliminated super early, no Killer wants to be endlessly stun locked.

Does the risk of experiencing in game cruelty motivate players to play better? What are your thoughts? Does playing better manifest this behavior?

I wonder very much about this because DbD is a game that feels like it has an “edge” that no other game has. I can’t help but feel that this “edge” has some kind of relationship to the passionate feelings that emerge from the community. Others have used the word “Visceral” to describe this “edge” and I am inclined to agree. The knee-jerk reaction this game can make people feel seems to fuel(?) try hard gameplay. However It can also be argued that it instead deters players from playing hyper efficient.

I don’t condone toxicity. My lofty (though unrealistic) vision is for every player to be grateful for every other player in the community. I’ve never played a game that felt as intensely personal as Dbd. I can’t stop returning to this idea of an “edge”.

I know this is a sensitive topic and I don’t support making anyone feel bad irl or ruining their games just to be cruel. I just can’t seem to shake the feeling that the stakes of a trial seem linked to:

A.) As a Survivor the longevity of your life in a trial

B.) The amount of “cruel” interactions one may experience in-game.

Does anyone else kind of understand the idea I’m trying to describe?

Comments

• CrossTheSholf
    CrossTheSholf Member Posts: 250

When i get a really annoying stun lock or sabo squad i just go to the basement and vibe in there. They don't get any extra points, and I don't have to deal with their asses.

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,919

We maybe missing the point so if so ignore us.

To answer the question, it kinda does. People who experience "cruelty" either try and get better to not experience that again (or bad case scenario inflict it on others) or leave and say F it. Outta a sense of ego, fear, whatever, but it does motivate people to do one or the other.

We feel it doesn't have an "edge" by default but can because this game is very open in what players can do (for its type). The evils of free will as this free reign allows this "cruelty" in the first place along with the other good and bad that comes with.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,759

On topic, the examples listed, I think accomplish the opposite. Toxicity takes away from the games edge, it doesn't add to it.

That edge you talk about only is achieved when the game is moving along, both sides racing to accomplish their objectives. I find DbD incredibly intense, especially when I'm in situations where I'm on death hook and there is one gen to go, escape is a possibility, but far from guaranteed. The fact that as a survivor you can lose at the very end makes it incredibly exciting.

Toxic behaviors are just boring. If I hit a killer that is just bleeding people out (not slugging for a strategic purpose, but in such a dominant position he can bleed everyone out), its boring. The other side of this is survivors either just waiting by the exit gates to tbag or bully squads not even trying to do gens. Neither situation is exciting, its just dull.

The toxic behaviors almost made me quit the game when I first started until I saw the piece of advice to have something else to do when playing DbD. It's one of the worst criticisms I have of DbD, that the game is much more fun if you have another game, something to read, etc. ready to go in case you get put in a situation where the excitement disappears and you're trapped in a pointless, dull situation.

• HexHuntressThighs
    HexHuntressThighs Member Posts: 1,243

The edge is the “Us vs Them” divide this community has and it’s even affected me. If you say ”Pain Rez was fine at 25%” you’ll have a thousand comments calling you an entitled brain dead killer main. Just like if you thought MFT was fine you’d ignite a firestorm of replies.

Too many people don’t play the other side and honestly should not be speaking about the games balance. It’s easy for me to ignore survivor problems because I think they are overblown until I go into solo queue lobbies and get tunneled, slugged and humped for looping for more than 5 seconds.

The replies on these forums are a perfect example, every single thread is people fighting each other and trying to make underhanded remarks while trying not to get caught doing it. And nobody cares about the actual facts of anything it’s really just about how they feel. Killers have trash kill rates and get buffed and people complain. Solo Queue has low escape rates so they get an info hud and people complain.

The “Us vs Them” cycle honestly needs to end but this community won’t let it happen ever. I’m so tired of seeing “killer sided update” “survivor sided game” and so on. This community frankly is exhausting sometimes. It doesn’t have to be this way, we could change it; and I hope we do.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,228

Just for context, yesterday a survivor went down and gave up before any gen was done. 3 survivors and 5 gens. 2 of us escaped against an aggressive Pig.

It's difficult, but not impossible to survive. It depends on a lot of things and is certainly very rare. Not impossible though.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 3,117
    edited July 7

To me it comes across as a power/responsibility problem.

As an exanple of what I mean, The C++ programming language is a very powerful tool, that let's you get VERY close to the hardware if you want to, and also allows you to basically do whatever you want with memory locations and alike... however with the power to do that, there is much more responsibility in a language like C++ compared to Java or Python that abstract things away from you.

In C++, whatever you tell the compiler to do, it'll do it, no questions asked, and no matter how stupid it is; to point we have a C++ saying "never take take away the users ability to shoot themselves in the foot". Having that power means to get low level means you should be responsible with what you do there.

DBD is like C++; there is an undeniable personal relationship between killer and survivor, allowing both players to get pretty low level and get a really good look at each other. As such, whichever side loses each exchange, it hits closer to the bone than a lot of other games... and DBD is built in a way where you have a LOT of power and freedom to decide how you play and do whatever you want... which obviously also allows you to be as toxic as you want...

I don't think DBD iz more toxic than any other online game I've ever played.... but it's definitely a more raw human experience than any other game I've ever played... and I think a responsible player is mindful of just how personal DBD can be.

• SunaIIanu
    SunaIIanu Member Posts: 817

I'm not sure if I understood you post correctly, but I do think that cruelty can be motivating in the sense of "I don't want this person to get away with their behaviour" and I could also imagine that a particular cruel game might elicit a response like "this will not happen to me again". I'm not sure if that would push some to play better or just sweatier though. But I don't think that cruelty has a motivating factor for everbody.

For me personally, if I encounter cruelty it can be the reason to stop playing for the day, especially when it's something like a bleedout, that the Devs could have fixed years ago. I've played dbd for years, but have relativly few hours for this time, because I need frequent breaks and I think cruelty is one of the reasons for that.

• For_The_People
    For_The_People Member Posts: 537

I understand a lot of the comments on this thread.

For me personally, I have a lot of mixed thoughts. For the first year of the game, I was purely a soloQ player though I gradually made a lot of in-game friends, we had never had the opportunity to chat to each other (Nintendo Switch has zero communication options) and I didn’t even think of methods to reach out that I had now (downloading the PS and Xbox apps to find players I play with - this came later).

My first year in the game being oblivious and ignorant, it was an incredibly isolating, lonely and frustrating period when I felt I was constantly tunnelled and subjected to be and had nobody to share the feelings with. But having my in-game friends, who I’d never spoken to, their acts of kindness during matches - just someone caring enough to unhook me and heal me, do a little pirouette for me at load in etc used to fill me absolute joy and make me want to keep playing.

My biggest problem is that I have a strong sense of justice but lack the skill and ability to deliver the justice which can be one of the most frustrating things ever.

Through a series of incredible coincidences, I managed to catch a few wow my long-term in game friends on someone’s twitch stream and from there were created a discord server which now contains almost all our regular in-game friends. The purpose of it is not to form hit squads or whatever, but purely to be able to chat with each other and anecdotally entertain each other and provide stress relief.

Honestly, I would have given up long ago on DBD were it not for the heroes and wonderful people I play with - who are survivors and killers so has given me a lot of appreciation for both sides though I only play one (I’ve mentioned before but I cannot play First person view games).

My solemn wish is to one day gain the skill to help protect those who I play with and to be a less liability. That is and always will be my motivation.

• WolfyWood
    WolfyWood Member Posts: 460

Team based game yet the game doesn't do anything to enforce teamplay.

You can literally bring 4 selfish perks and a key into every trial and stealth the entire time and it's allowed within the rules.

You want people to play out every match based on some arbitrary honor code while people consistently do everything but gens while someone is being tunneled.

Unless side quests and solo perks are removed and BHVR starts punishing people who mess around then going next will continue to be fair game which is why they haven't removed it.

Killer feels a lot better to play because it's reliable, survivor is a frustrating mess because there's no consistency due to the devs refusing to let go of the asinine 'all playstyles are valid' mindset.

• MalekithHatesSnow
    MalekithHatesSnow Member Posts: 253

Ultimately the problem at the end of the day is that some survivors muddy the waters and obscure the actual problem.

3 Gens get done in 2 minutes and i get tunneled? I'm upset and im gonna go on the forums and say killers all tunnel and i got tunneled while leaving out the fact the killer had to tunnel I will purposefully leave out info to make myself the victim

This happens way more than you think I play survivor EU specifically i played 10 matches today and only 2 of those were actual tunnel at 5 gens one of them the killer had to tunnel because 2 gens popped before he got a down since it was on The Game I could very easily go "ugh the killer tunneled why? Because all killers are stinky poopy heads of course" now of course my experience isn't the same as everyone's that's just my experience

I think some survivors should just stop crying about "tunneling" every game because that just makes people who actually complain about genuine tunneling (again at 5 gens) look entitled seriously you're getting tunneled out every single game? No way you are.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    HerInfernalMajesty Member Posts: 1,668

I never thought about the “edge” coming from the sheer degrees of freedom but I think you’re right. To me it’s a fascinating social experiment. But I do feel for the people that legitimately get frustrated.

What a beautiful comment. I agree with everything you’ve written 100%.

It really does take effort to remember that the other players are other humans sitting in some chair, a couch, the edge of a bed, having a shared experience with you from their own perspective. It’s hard not to want to give everyone the best time on the server when this awareness is made real.

The ways in which this game feels personal are very intense. I mean, even a Killer and Survivor will come to intuitively “know” each other just by who is or isn’t dominating the mind games. Thank you for your wonderful comment 💐

I completely respect that. It’s difficult to reconcile how early elimination raises the stakes while also keeping the game feeling fun and fair to all involved. It’s even harder to reconcile when toxic behaviors emerge as a result of this system.

• HerInfernalMajesty

I hope we do too. I can see how the “edge” of this game comes from the two… “gangs” that have risen up around both roles. The BM in this game can feel so personal that I think it’s one of the underlying reasons for the us vs them existing in this game.

Wow. What a powerful comparison. Wow yeah 100% agree. Each role has power. And that power in this game can be abused in ways that feel highly raw from a human experience. It makes you wonder sometimes about the role of stewardship of that power… What a fantastic comment.

Yes you definitely understood what I was trying to say 😊

This “edge” feels so sharp that it’s double-sided doesn’t it? Experiences so intense that sometimes it inspires resolve and other times it encourages checking-out. It’s been fascinating to read all of these different perspectives. Thank you so much for contributing.

• HerInfernalMajesty

Noble aspirations and precious experiences ☺️

It sounds like the high stakes nature of the game has given you a resolve to improve for others. It’s all just so fascinating how differently we all confront this phenomenon.

It feels like this sometimes 😂

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,919

Sadly that not something that can be easily changed as that requires limiting what the players can or can not do (and we're going to assume everyone knows that everyone will kick a fuss if the devs try). Could add more tools but then that adds more video game cruelty potential too.

• Unknown2765
    Unknown2765 Member Posts: 2,368

I give what i get.

As a survivor im hoping on relaxed games, and actually a lot of killers are nice, but some are also goofballs that hardcore tunnels at 5 gens and then i become sweaty, i will drop all the pallets on their head and BM them. (but that is not how a normally play).

As a killer I normally play relaxed unless i have a challenge that tells me to get x hook kills or iri challenges, but if people keep stunning me just for the sake of it, I start playing sweaty. The funny part is, a lot of them complain in the endgame chat, even though they brought it on themselves.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,228

I had fun. In fact, the other Xbox player also seemed to enjoy it. It's not all mythical, as rare as it is. It's more about the character of those willing to fight through which tells a great story and makes the trial rewarding. Those moments make the game for me: a good story with people not eager to give up easily.

• wsm10
    wsm10 Member Posts: 28
    edited July 7

And my dream is for people like you to all have their own queue as well and ONLY play with others like yourself. The premise that a player has to stay in the game when a killer is actively doing something as unfun and overpowered as tunneling, or even worse(and becoming a VERY common occurrence) in going out of their way to BM and be as toxic as possible, just because said "teammates" are basically saying "too bad, you're fun doesn't matter, just deal with it so WE can escape," is ridiculous.

This game isn't a job, and it shouldn't feel like it either. The way a lot of killers have decided to play recently has killed any drive for a ton of players to even boot up the game anymore. People who think like I stated above are another reason. Maybe it doesn't happen to you, but when you play x amount of games and the overwhelming majority of them become so horrendous that you make the decision that NODD3RS has, maybe instead of blaming them you can look more at the underlying problem of why they've come to that decision. They have every right to make that choice, because, again, this is a game that they bought, to have fun.

Quite frankly, the selfish view that x person's fun doesn't matter, mine does and that's more important, needs to change. It's why we are where we are in the first place. If people on both sides started realizing that they're playing with other human beings, not bots, and took a little consideration in to making sure it's not a miserable experience for everyone else, I have no doubt that these conversations would be less common. But as long as people put so much emphasis on "winning" over everything else, which becomes incredibly unhealthy over time, it is what it is.

And sure, make different queues for the two sides like you said. I guarantee that in time, after all the super sweating, tunneling, hitting on hook, unnecessary bleedouts, t-bagging, flashing, notification spamming and other types BM'ing that absolutely will take place, most people will be playing the other one.

Post edited by wsm10 on
  • wsm10

I think there's an easy fix to all these problems, and it's simple: act like you're playing against human beings and act how you would want to be treated. There's so many in this community that put winning and their own satisfaction above everything else, and that's always going to be a recipe for cruelty. I get wanting to win & have fun, I want both of those for sure. But I'm not putting that above everything else. You never know what's going on with who you're playing with & against, so don't do things that you wouldn't want to deal with. I don't think this game is in a great state right now and so many people have put it down for good that I personally have played with for these those reasons. I really like this game & want it to succeed, but I'm afraid if things keep going this route, it may be in for some tough times in the future.

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 4,092

People like that already have their own que. If somebody is playing in a sweaty way such as tunneling, their mmr will eventually place them against people who play just as if not more sweaty. So that que for sweaty people already exists.

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,294

The potential of experiencing "cruelty" or "mockery" — which is at the very least perceived to happen a lot — leads to one of three things:

a) Someone tries to get better.

b) Someone tries to inflict the same cruelty on others

c) Someone decides to not engage in these situations whenever they get the impression they're witnessing the beginning of one (i.e. moving on to the next match sooner rather than later)

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,504

Just try to play for fun and don't look the chat that might make it more mentally bearable.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,504

One thing which I find cruel is pretending to give hatch but then closing it right in front of the survivor or doing same with gate.

• wsm10

True story. I guess at that point, they keep getting knocked back down & it's a repeating cycle for all involved. Good point.

• Halloulle

they don't really, though. The MMR cap is not as hard to reach as you might think and while your MMR still rises while you're in it, it doesn't affect matchmaking anymore; everyone at and beyond the cap is treated as if their MMR was the cap. So that "last MMR bracket" for Qs is still a very, very mixed bag.

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,440
    edited July 7

The main issue, in my opinion, is dehumanization expressed as not considering your opponents as other human beings worthy of empathy, not attempting to understand the other person's experiences, and being quick to justify people's own behaviour and dismiss others.

As an example, let's look at the a summary of arguments made for tunneling (which many dislike) and being teabagged (defined here not as an attempt to communicate but rather an attempt to taunt or insult a Killer which many also dislike).

Tunneling: It's just a tactic to reduce survivor efficiency so I can win and it's fun to win. I'm not responsible for the other side's fun. If people don't like tactics to encourage Killer chances or are overly offended by being tunneled they shouldn't play competitive games.

Teabagging: It's just a tactic to get the Killer to chase me so we can win or just fun to do. I'm not responsible for the other side's fun. If people don't like tactics to encourage Survivor chances or are overly offended by being teabagged they shouldn't play competitive games.

At its basic, they're the same picture as per the meme.

This doesn’t happen very much in real life as people with that attitude quite quickly don't get asked to return to play. They're labelled bad sports and not invited to return.

With video games, there's an unfortunate tendency for people to dehumanize the other player since there are very few consequences to not doing so. For a game as large as DbD it's not going to just die rapidly as what happened with other games such as VHS that didn't consider the fun of one side, you can always just queue for another match and not have to worry about the people whose fun you just ruined, and you never have to see the people involved.

Getting rid of the cruelty would just require that players treat other people just how they would want to be treated. That's a lot easier said than done though unfortunately.

• FilthyLegionRevival
    FilthyLegionRevival Member Posts: 313

I'll close the chat permanently next time I give it a go. I always play for fun. Whether other people do or not isn't something I can really anticipate.

• SpitefulHateful
    SpitefulHateful Member Posts: 307

All the cruel interactions you see in the game is just the proof of the simple facts: humans are cruel and indifferent. All the "empathy" and "teamwork" are only skin deep. When they get an opportunity to behave like they always wanted to and not get punished, they embrace it gladly.

• Halloulle

humans are rather cruel and indifferent to anything and anyone they don't have a personal connection to, that's the default. Empathy and teamwork is the exception. - It's rather necessary for survival (both on a practical and psychological level). - Thing is: seeing a user name is not a personal connection. Seeing someone only once is not a personal connection. Being assigned the same role by a game is not a personal connection. There is, quite frankly, no basis for empathy or teamwork in this game. In-game-altruism among survivors is the closest thing we got - but even that only happens if the survivors throughout the match managed to have enough meaningful events in terms of team building. Which also rarely happens.

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,259

I'm gonna say this but people will probably disagree with me, I don't believe anyone here is intentionally wanting to do any harm to anyone as far as what happens in the game even if they are seeming like they want you to have a miserable time.

The problem comes down to the standard gameplay itself being very stale I mean if you're in a decent squad then rushing gens is gonna get boring just like playing Blight or nurse every game and sweating as killer will get boring, gens are 90 seconds a piece in one place holding a button, eventually people want to do more and try to experiment ideas with perk builds to see if they can come up with unkillable combos, killers will do the same except combos to end the game as fast as possible with nurse or Blight, I know for a fact people hated me when I was attempting the fastest 4k on nurse for a while, but as far as intentionally wanting someone to be affected no I don't think anyone here wants to harm anyone.

People need to remember this is a video game and people will go outside the normal for fun just to continue playing a game they might like or the only game they might have friends on, if you're carrying personal feelings into a video game then that's the problem.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,092
    edited July 8

I appreciate the difference between a player that plays aggressively because comp is their idea of fun, because those players are doing nothing wrong whatsoever, but it's impossible to deny that there are players who are trying to upset other players - and that for some people, that is their idea of fun, so fun can't be a catch-all. Wanting the other player to be affected the entire point of stuff like killers bleeding out 4 survivors instead of hooking them, or SWFs who 99 the last gens and then bully the killer until they run out of resources, or stuff like Boil Over never hook builds, or players trapping someone in a corner and going afk. There's definitely been times I got upset at a player who was just playing for the 4k (and had to remind myself of that), but via BM or certain trolling playstyles I can quite confidently say that I've gotten upset at other players who were trying to upset me. The blame isn't completely on me for getting tilted if I have a Steve following me around spamming fast vaults and dropping pallets in my face.

To answer the OP, I think in-game cruelty does raise the stakes of a trial, but not in a way I feel good about. It's just adrenaline and kind of a sick feeling that I have to beat them or else I'm letting them get away with it. I much prefer playing chill. Win or lose, I usually either have to walk away from the game for a bit or play a killer farming match to cleanse the pallette. Too much of this kind of nastiness usually has me set down DBD for a few months.

Though I'm fresh off the opposite kind of game - a match that played out normally, I got caught at an exit gate on death hook as one of two survs remaining, and instead of running I decided I'd go down barding. Killer listened to my song and opened the gate for me, I took them to a hook to hook me, they said 'no' and brought me back to the gate. Which removed all stakes from the match, but now I'm in a good mood reminded that other players are chill too.