The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

When will the developers finally adapt “Windows of Opportunity”?

joel84
joel84 Member Posts: 229

Don't get me wrong,

but if the developers want to change the meta further, they need to adapt this perk.

It's time for this perk to get a cooldown.

Change my mind

Comments

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

It doesn't need much of a nerf but for the sake of changing meta perks, something that BHVR has admitted they want to do, it needs something about it changed.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,431

Windows is a perk that should not be changed for the exact same reason that weave should not be changed.

The perk is only good on/against bad players. Windows is not needed when you have a coordinated team that can communicate with each other. It is a solid solo queue perk when you have no way to talk to your team, but outside of that it is a wasted perk slot.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    HerInfernalMajesty Member Posts: 1,471

No disingenuousness, only complete ignorance. As I say, I’m a low mmr player so my perspectives may be limited.

But you make a good point. It can help expert players at a glance when it comes to dead zones. However I will offer a counter anecdotal experience in that I have played against Survivors that I know pay attention to pallets and the deadzones. I’ve played Survivors that don’t run WoO but for sure keep track of what pallets they have and haven’t seen.

I tried to say that experts get “very little” but I see it still came off as ONLY. Again, it’s just my ignorance. Thanks for keeping me sharp. Hope you have fun matches @LordGlint

• jajay119
    jajay119 Member Posts: 967

fine… if it’s time to change Corrupt Intervention and give that a cool down too. I see it way more than WOO.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,580

It would make it pointless so : no.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    HerInfernalMajesty Member Posts: 1,471

I can respect this sentiment. You don’t have to apologize just because some people disagree with you. Your feelings and opinions on the game are just as valid as any of ours.

• dwight444
    dwight444 Member Posts: 339

woo does not make you any better at the game, you just know where resources are but it's irrelevant if your game sense is lacking and you aimlessly drop pallets to prolong your down

if you are a bad player, you'll just waste resources for the rest of us

if you're good, you're probably using it just to know what resources the other 3 randoms have wasted. Nothing worse than being in a chase and going to a tile just to find out there is no pallet there

I use it in solo q, I drop it when playing with my friends because we just call out what has been dropped

• dwight444
    dwight444 Member Posts: 339

could just as likely mean that majority of the players play solo and find this perk useful

• Rogue11
    Rogue11 Member Posts: 1,409

I've played in swf many times and none of us ever called out pallets we used other than sometimes shack. I think you're radically overestimating the level of call outs among most swfs.

It's not difficult to be aware of the areas chases are taking place and assuming some resources have been used there. Other perks could help with this if needed.

Almost every discussion I've read in the past regarding Windows contains several posts demanding that rather than nerf the perk, "maps are the problem".

So again, we're seeing the solution to complete knowledge of available map resources being the removal of map resources. A horrible choice imo that wrecks skill expression, game sense, and fun from both sides.

• Rick1998
    Rick1998 Member Posts: 206

i'd much rather exaustion perks having separate cooldowns. Like lower cooldown on overcome and dramaturgy but longer cooldowns on lithe and sprint burst to close the gap between their strenghts

• Neaxolotl
    Neaxolotl Member Posts: 1,477

Make it a basekit, another training wheels we love

• emetSdidnothingwrong
    emetSdidnothingwrong Member Posts: 305

No, WoO is a perfectly fine perk and it's one of the few perks that I think is genuinely okay to be meta. This perk highlights bad map design and closes the gap between mediocre and good survivors without actually making them stronger and they sacrifice an entire perk slot to get this effect. There are a lot of genuinely overpowered things in the game to complain about, this perk is not one of them.

• ElodieSimp
    ElodieSimp Member Posts: 385

For low tier skilled killer players I can maybe somewhat understand why a nerf to WoO might be "necessary" but other than that it's such a non-issue imo.

• joel84
    joel84 Member Posts: 229

This is the best thing I've read in a long time. Thank you so much for this <3

• Jay_K
    Jay_K Member Posts: 429

I don't think it needs a nerf. if survivors want to run WoO its a perk slot not being used by some other meta perk. What I am more worried about is they change this perk a lot and then add some sort of WoO as a basekit feature for survivors as we all know the devs love to add basekit things that should be perks on both survivor and killer sides.

• HolyDarky
    HolyDarky Member Posts: 608

The developers can nerf WoO and give it a cooldown (it had a cooldown) but this won't change the usage of the perk. It's like Adrenaline and PainRes: When these perks got nerfed, everybody was like "now it's useless" or "they are fine and we need them" but they are still one of the best perks in the game and many players use them despite the nerf. Same will happen to WoO. It won't bring a metagame change. Beyond that, just nerfing one Perk won't change the metagame. To make a metagame change happen, the developers need to buff and nerf many other perks (in the right direction). Of cause, some players don't like it when "their" perk gets nerfed but this happens everytime.

WoO is an easy to use Perk: If players want to know where and when their teammate used pallets then they could use Alert or Any Means Necessary but these Perks requiere attention and you have to keep in mind which Pallet got dropped/destroied. WoO is simple and easy to use. However, this does not make the Perk super strong. It is just helpful for every player - for beginners, experience but also for veterans. I also feel like some players overreact a bit and abuse the mistake the developers did with Haddonfield. The developers did a good job with the Red Forest maps and even changed Ormond to remove the deadzones for survivors. Their latest maps are also much better then their older ones. Of cause not every map is perfect and could get some adjustments (Greenville) but it is nearly impossible to make every map both overall balance for survivors and every killer but also unique. Thus, I have to admit that I don't like the variants of Ormond and Yamako and they are rather questionable than good. I also feel like the map RNG should be more reliable and should have a better spawn logic like some other maps have.

Nevertheless, the question could be where we draw the line between "the Perk is helpful" and "We rely on this Perk":

I remember when the Chaos Shuffle Modifier was playable and some survivors looked so lost and the reason was that these players rather rely on WoO and had no clue what they should do without the Perk - sometimes they had a pallet right next to them and they didn't saw it, they just ran past. So maybe adding a cooldown could be helpful to teach survivors more awareness of their environment. Something like "after vaulting a window or pallet or after dropping a pallet the perk goes on cooldown for 20/30sec" but at the same time increasing the range to like 40 or 48 meters. With this, the perk would be still helpful but requieres some awareness of the survivor → the survivor has to plan their chase and where to go next when leaving the tile/loop. At the same time could also be to buff/rework Alert and Any Means Necessary like "When a Pallet gets destroied you see the aura of every Pallet and Window around you for the next 30seconds but no longer the aura of the killer" (Alert) and "Once a survivor drops a Pallet, you can see the aura of every Pallet and Window around you for the next 30sec" (AMN, wouldn't remove the liftup part). This could also help the survivors alot.

However, in the end I don't really care too much about it because I don't have any problems with this Perk and there are other Perks the developers should nerf/rework. WoO has a rather low priority - in my opinion - because it does not make the metagame unhealthy.

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 4,183

It had an alright use rate even back then iirc. Even if it had a cooldown it'd still be better than before, as the range was increased as well.

• DeBecker
    DeBecker Member Posts: 89
  • HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 4,092

But that contradicts itself. If someone is using lithe, they are probably running away from a loop, and bringing windows does not make someone good at looping. You can see all the pallets you want, but it's not going to matter if you don't know how to run them

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 4,183

It was about 5%-ish, according to Nightlight.

Not super common, but not non-existent either. Perks like Flashbang, Quick and Quiet, Hope and Background Player are around those margins currently.

I'm not sure if it'd even go back to those levels either. It was super underrated at the time, people didn't realise how good it actually was even after it got buffed, with the use rate taking a little while to climb.

I think people would still use it in the event of a nerf. Whether it needs it or not, I'm personally not sure. I don't like how it's a complete substitute for map knowledge and can act as an autopilot at times, but I wouldn't personally consider it overpowered. It's for sure a crutch, though.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,060
    edited July 25

No. It lets you plan your looping route instead of hoping that a pallet or window spawned in the right spot this time, or that your teammate didn't already throw a pallet down and break it. Nerfing it will only weaken solo.

• TheLastTreedad
    TheLastTreedad Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 9

Then nerf Zeshin tactics to. Don't be biased it's literally the same damn thing. Only one side uses it more

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,890
    edited July 25

I only want WoO nerfed because I refuse to run it in its current state. I'm in a minority, so I doubt it will happen, but personally...

WoO causes bad habits in your play, actively hinders your ability to learn and makes you overall worse at the game. People become way too reliant on it and become absolute lambs the moment they are hit with blind.

If it had a cooldown it would mean you would need to remember the spots that you saw, and that would actively help you learn maps and actually improve your game to the point you can operate without it.

You would eventually be sble to drop the perk, or only use it to determine what tiles have spawned/been used up, rather than being the switch your brain off and follow the yellow lights perk it is now.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,849

I doubt they will nerf it as it is a godsend for new players who will struggle with this game otherwise.

Experienced players who are going to give you a tough time rarely use the perk, as we know the maps well enough and have enough situational awareness to get better value from other perks.