The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

New base-kit idea for killers generator speed. What if Skill-checks became harder over time?

The idea is that every time the survivor gets a skill-check and they succeed a skill-check,

• The skill-check dial speed is increased by 15%.
  • The skill-check normal zone is smaller by 30%
  • The skill-check chance for skill-check to occur is increased by 5%.

The effect stacks for total of 3 times. When a skill-check is failed, All stacks are reset to 0.

Currently, Skill-checks are too easy. rarely anyone fails skill-checks when actively paying attention to the game. Skill-check are suppose to symbolize the survivors in trial becoming nervous and paranoid in the trial when they work on a generator. With long history that dead by daylight has in weakening killer slowdown perks, many survivor clearly feel that many of killer slowdown perk are unavoidable and lead to frustrating game-delay that is unpreventable or outside of their control. As a result, many of killer perk with said effect have received negative changes to discourage their use.

This is an idea to give survivors more control over the killer's game delay slowdown but at the same time give killer's ability to have some form of base-kit regression should the survivor make a mistake. It is no secret that killer base-kit regression is extremely slow at 400% and the time commitment that killer takes to a kick generator often does not meet the rewards of a survivor rushing down generators when entire survivor team is committed to generators. Due to limited scope in the killer's ability to slow the game down when all generator are spread out, this mechanic allows killer to have more opportunity to slow the game down when survivor rush generators when spread out.

What do you think about this idea?

Comments

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,845

would absolutely destroy newer/lower skill players and do basically nothing against more experienced players (except maybe if the killer is doctor with the skill check build)

• VantablackPharaoh91
    VantablackPharaoh91 Member Posts: 580

So basekit Huntress' Lullaby that only hits new players harder? I don't think so.

• Royval
    Royval Member Posts: 505

I feel like their should be a way to make skill checks harder the more hooks you get it’ll encourage no tunneling and reward you as such.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,106
    edited August 14

these skill-check are hard even for experience players. I suggested cap of 3 stacks because i didn't want to increase difficulty to infinity degree where the game actively forces missed skill-check but the idea is 3 stacks of difficulty makes it so that survivor is very likely to miss a skill-check.

This isn't for new players. this is going make everyone miss skill-checks on average.

it is not hitting just new players. this will be hitting experienced players. I don't buy into these lame new player excuses.

• VantablackPharaoh91

You didn't read what I said. It's not "a lame excuse", it's just the truth.

The issue with this is the same as for Unforeseen. It doesn't affect Survivors that are confident and know what they are doing because they know how to handle these sorts of skillcheck alterations. New Survivors do not.

Therefore the change hits newcomers harder and that by design is a bad idea. This wouldn't solve the issue you want it to solve and would only make it harder for new players.

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,845

but it would mainly affect new players and lot harder too. New player lobbies are already quite killer sided, so tilting them even more in the killer's favour is probably the last thing the game needs.

• Devil_hit11

unforeseen is a undetectable perk for kicking generators. You mean undone.

The issue with this is the same as for Unforeseen. It doesn't affect Survivors that are confident and know what they are doing because they know how to handle these sorts of skillcheck alterations. New Survivors do not.

Therefore the change hits newcomers harder and that by design is a bad idea. This wouldn't solve the issue you want it to solve and would only make it harder for new players.

New player are unlikely to face skill-check alteration as they will fail skill-check on their first try. If the difficulty is not high enough, we can increase numbers slightly. for example, increasing number of stack from 3→4 for extremely experienced skill-check players.

• VantablackPharaoh91

You are correct, I did mean Undone. My bad. :)

My point still stands however.

• Devil_hit11

i disagree that it only affects new players. assuming skill-check are hard enough, they will affect stronger players as well. My point still stands that skill-check are too easy and don't generate any pressure or urgency in survivor's gameplay. in terms of killer kicking generators, it does very little vs efficient team that plays for the win. traditionally, the ideas for killer have always been to buff generator kicks or put base-kit corruption intervention into killer kits but these ideas don't allow survivor to interact with the mechanic. this is just a different idea that has little more survivor gameplay put into it.

Overall the mechanic does prone into survivor missing an inevitable skill-check but it puts some weight on survivor's gameplay rather entirely focusing its gameplay onto the killer.

• TieBreaker
    TieBreaker Member Posts: 876

It's an interesting idea, but it's pretty brutal. At three stacks, the speed of the dial is pretty much the same as Coulrophobia, and the normal skill check zone is 90% smaller. It's less a challenge, and more that survivors will almost certainly miss a skill check after two or three successes.

• starfall25
    starfall25 Member Posts: 4

I think the skill check is already bad enough as it is. When a skill check occurs i usually pass, but it is impossible for me to react when the dial appears and the zone is located before the halfway point through. I usually miss all of those because of this. Killers are already op against many newer players. If this was implemented, i would be so done with this game. I play both killer and survivor and if this were to happen, then most new players who would play survivor would go to play killer instead and quickly learn that only the most experienced survivors are what they get put up against because most if not all newer players or players with slower reflexes would have just left. Overall, it will hit new players the most and eventually only leave high skilled players which is neither a satisfying deal for the player base nor is it good for the devs. If you have lightning reflexes and can run a killer around till the sun goes down, that is your skill level. Many dont have that. In addition, many people who play this game actually have lives that hinder their ability to learn the game and how to avoid being hit by killers etc… or hone their reflexes to a point of superhuman.

• caipt
    caipt Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 563

It'd just hurt new players while veterans remain unaffected.