The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

the spirit need a little change

Boons123
Boons123 Member Posts: 761
edited August 25 in Feedback and Suggestions

She's pretty much the only killer you'll need a headset to have a chance at playing against, and that's unfair.

Why do they make the terror radius of and lullaby visible to help the hearing impaired or deaf while leaving the spirit as she is? which brings us back to the guessing game, or rather the coin toss game.

If you are hard of hearing or deaf you will not get a chance and the same goes for those who do not use hearing aids.

In the mobile version, a red indicator appears for survivors to know where the sound is coming from, I think it would be a good addition here for other versions.

Post edited by Boons123 on

Comments

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,082

When spirit was changed, they were suppose add a glowing trail for her footprints for Spirit phase-walk. They never added it.

• Royval
    Royval Member Posts: 493

if only you seen the real Spirit

• VomitMommy
    VomitMommy Member Posts: 2,259

Spirit needs headset too. Seems fair...

• Boons123

She can still see scratch marks and she still can use her powers to navigate a map, etc.

While to face her against her, you need to use a headset.

This is unfair, you can't know which killer you're going to face.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,891
    edited August 23

With Spirit I find even with a headset, it's quite hard to pinpoint/predict exactly what she is doing, and ultimately any move you make is still a 50/50 guess pretty much every time.

In some ways I think not being able to hear her might be more effective for mind games... with that "if I don't know what I'm doing, she doesn't either" kind of logic 😅

I don't use the Visual Terror Radius, cause I'm not deaf, and I'm a purist 😏

However does Spirit's phase walk affect the VTR? If the whoosh is close does the VTR get bigger? That would at least be something that isn't a huge advantage what would help.

Also nerf Cherry Blossom pl0x... it's shorter range "nerf" was actually a buff... it's easier to pinpoint exactly where a survivor is... 😶

I dont think though these is really a way you can nerf this add-on to not be problematic... It might be nice if Cherry Blossom gave away Spirit's footsteps while the add-on is revealing a survivor with killer Instinct... if Spirit gets a limited ability to see the survivor, the survivor gets a limited ability to see her too... that seems fair.

• Choaron
    Choaron Member Posts: 317

Dried Cherry Blossom needs to go, that one is for sure. Addons like this should never have been a thing to begin with.

• caipt
    caipt Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 563

You should be playing with a headset anyway and its not like a perk, you can put on your headset any time! Its not her fault that you lose wen you are actively handicapping yourself and then calling for nerfs.

• fussy
    fussy Member Posts: 1,465

She's pretty much the only killer you'll need a headset to have a chance at playing against, and that's unfair.

LMAOOOOO

• Boons123

Why should the player wear a headset? Any other killer you can face without being forced to use a headset, the entire game can be played without a headset

Why do you think they added the terror radius to help the deaf or hard of hearing if the player must use his headphones?

• fussy

it's insane you need to explain this to player in 2024. Imagine being dev, add sound hint on every killer's move, balance game around TR, undetectable and read that sound doesn't matter in this game and you can play without it.

Understanding of game's basis: 0
    Confidence that your opinion matter: 100

Average player nowdays. Probably same players, who "Wow visual terror radius, now I can play with music on * DC when I grab him off the gen *"

• Boons123

I am talking about playing against, if the player have hearing problems then the player can simply play another killer.

But it's completely different when you play as the survivor, you don't know the identity of the killer until the match starts , if the killer is the spirit and you do not use a headset or have hearing problems, then you have no chance of standing up to it when being chased.

As you said, there should be visual cues to help deaf or hard of hearing players because without them the match turns into a complete guessing game.

• caipt

I was talking about playing hearing impaired as survivor as well. But as a non-impaired player (I assume, apologies if I'm wrong) you dont deserve extra visual cues because you refuse to use the sound cues. It does not matter that you dont know what killer it is when the match starts; Because a headset doesnt take up a perk slot, if the killer is spirit you can simply plug in your headphones next time you're safe. Its like 30s of your time and opens up a world of counterplay for you to use, however when you choose not to use it you lose the right to criticize the audio-based killer's balance. This isnt a "bring calm spirit for ultimate weapon situation", this is a "have basic gaming equipment avaliable while you play" situation. But yeah there should be some kind of visual cue that shes phasing, not showing where she is but just that shes using power. Like how people used to say the shards glow.

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,976

except they do, you have visual directional sound cues, visual footstep cues (general direction, its still better to actually hear).

• Boons123

What is the problem that I asked for?
    I didn't say that sound is not important, you may not know that you can play this game without a headset and just use the screen sound

Again, not using headset to play does not mean that you cannot hear the game sound.

Can the game be played without sound? Yes, it will take some time to get used to.

Next time make sure to read the entire post before jumping to the reply button.

• Tits
    Tits Member Posts: 203

With all honesty theres something about her where if you arent tunneling shes about as good at keeping people off gens as clown. 80% of the time i play her the gens get done even if my chases are all lasting under 1 minute. she really doesnt need a nerf. Amd im not terrible at killer pr anything ive 100%ed the game, shes definitely difficult to get a 4k with if ur playing "fair" like i always do

• Boons123

I saw in the mobile version that there is a visual indication when playing against the spirit, and it looks like a red curved line that increases in intensity the closer she gets to you, and this curve tends towards the killer.

So I think it's also right to add that to this version as well and then it's fair to face her.

• fussy

You can control car with a baguette instead of wheel, this does not mean that this is intended way. You no doubt can play without sound on both sides and cut effectiveness in everything minimum in half, but it's definately not the way game designed to play.
    And have no doubts, even if after first sentence it was hard, I always read whole post before reply to it. Visual TR was made to HELP deaf people to play this game, not to have opportunity to play this game without sound.
    Even with the fact that Spirit is my #1 killer I hate to go against and will be glad delete this killer from the game, sound always was and always will be very important part of the game.

• Hannacia
    Hannacia Member Posts: 1,264

Try playing spirit without proper headset and see how hard it is. You use sounds as your main chase tool. When i play spirit i have to break my ears with 100% volume every time and even then some maps make it horrible with all the ambiance noise they have.

Yeah she can see scratch marks sure but she mostly uses audio to chase. Ive lost multiple survivors who know how to play against spirit if i just pay attention to scratch marks.

How often do you see spirits nowdays anyways? I saw one… ONE last month.

• MechWarrior3
    MechWarrior3 Member Posts: 2,094

It’s hard for me to genuinely take post like this seriously because some people will just “stuff” like this in hopes to get the game made easier in their favor.

Spirit is good where she is at. If you have a hard time hearing in general, than that’s going to be an issue for everything and that’s the understanding you have to consider when playing a game.

It sounds harsh, but when I had both eardrums blown out I had to use garbage hearing aids to help me, especially for games but also realized it’s my problem.

I don’t mind a solution to this but if it involves taking and sacrificing who spirit is as a killer than no. 👎

• caipt

or you could just use headphones and then its fair to face her. This is like bringing no perks and complaining when you die.

• Burniebotss
    Burniebotss Member Posts: 92

I think some of you forget that some people can’t hear as well as you might be able too. They shouldn’t have to lose because a disability

• Burniebotss

they should add something just enough for hard of hearing, in a very close range (16 meters) . On your sides on your screen it will spike in their general direction (right, left, back, up) no angles but enough to understand where they’re at.

• Burniebotss

I’m sorry that some people have disabilities:)

• Toystory3Monkey
    Toystory3Monkey Member Posts: 450

Spirit needs a big rework, imo, her current design is too hostile to any people with hearing disabilities on both sides.

Would be interesting if she had no sound / scratchmarks in her power and instead had short glimpses during which both she and survivor could see each other and make a move. Sorta like reverse passive phasing. So no sound required, just noticing spirit appearing on the screen.

• KatsuhxP
    KatsuhxP Member Posts: 627

I don't have anything about making the game playable for all people, but at the same time I don't think it's a good idea to scrap any ideas for powers that are sound-related. Spirits counterplay would be way to easy if you could see her and the idea of her power is that she can't see you and you can't see her.

I wouldn't find it fair for people that like her power to change it that much, because it moves away from the original idea of her power.

• Shinkiro
    Shinkiro Member Posts: 52

We don't, but its unreasonable to ask for the entire game to start being designed around specific disabilities and affecting everyone elses enjoyment. It's not realistic at all because it VASTLY limits design creativity and game balance for, lets be honest, a tiny minority of people who might have a few specific problems.

I am all for reasonable aids (such as the visual terror radius) but asking for things that are an obvious nerf that EVERYONE can use to gain an advantage is unfair, in this case to spirit players having their power telegraphed. Now imagine you can hear properly and also have visual cues to her phasing.

• caipt

exactly it'd be pretty silly to gut everything that makes spirit unique so a small percentage of players have a better time vs her

• Shinkiro
    edited August 23

No…. mobile is an entirely different game that has to be balanced differently precisely because people arent sitting there with proper headphones, speaker and other hardware.

You really here advocating people should play on monitor/TV speakers? If you think sound is important than you WOULD use a headset, or failing that a proper set of speakers set up properly to give correct directional audio feedback.

• Boons123

What? The mobile version is the same as the other versions, the only difference is that it meets the mobile requirements to run it, such as graphics and control.

Same gameplay, same characters, same maps, same rules, so how is the mobile version so different from the other versions?

What harm would it do if this visual cue was carried over to other versions of the game? Nothing!

• caipt

Its designed to be played as a mobile game. That being a casual, on-the-go experience to pass the time. People play mobile games because their an accessible option; thats why people veer towards pc/console gaming instead when the option presents itself. Thus dbd mobile is designed to be a low barrier to entry, free game to pass some time on your commute etc etc. Therefore its designed to require as little investment as possible, I.E. made to not require headphones.

• VomitMommy
    VomitMommy Member Posts: 2,259

Well, survivor without headphones gets on level of her prenerf, where you actually didn't hear her phasing.

And you would nerf even more, when she is not really popular killer already, just because some people want to play without headphones, either by choice (their problem), or health issue (unlucky, but minority).

I simply don't believe, killer should be demolished, just because someone doesn't want, or can't use headphones.

And being semi visible is a massive nerf... Many things about her would need to be buffed to compensate and probably give Mother's Glasses too.

Then she would be "unfair" for people with worse vision.... What a fix

• Boons123

However, some ideas are transferred from the mobile version to the other versions, such as the visual terror radius, so what really prevents the use of visual cues in all versions?

• caipt

because one is accessibility tool for a core game mechanic that is imperative for hearing impaired players while the subject of debate is 1 killer out of 30 or so that would lose he identity as a result.

• Shinkiro
    edited August 25

Typical, ignoring the points you know you cant refute. A mobile game is a mobile experience, hence why aids are put in. Spirit's power isnt a CORE MECHANIC, it doesnt need an aid.

"What harm would it do if this visual cue was carried over to other versions of the game? Nothing!"

If you really have to ask this, you only care about nerfing killers so you dont have to learn to play against them.

By your own logic, then im sure you're okay with survivors having their auras revealed constantly while they are in chase. It's only fair! You lose nothing! Visual and hearing impaired killers need this aid! It totally won't be used by everyone else for advantage or anything… /s

• Boons123

By your own logic, then im sure you're okay with survivors having their auras revealed constantly while they are in chase. It's only fair! You lose nothing! Visual and hearing impaired killers need this aid! It totally won't be used by everyone else for advantage or anything… /s

From here I understand that you do not read carefully before responding.
    Want to see survivors during chase? There are dozens of perks to do that for you.

But here I am talking about one killer you need headsets to play against while the rest don't! A killer who doesn't care about those who are hard of hearing or deaf.

Why do you want to keep the killer as it is while the problem has been solved in another version?!

Your argument is that the mobile version is for quick play or to pass the time, and here is a contradiction in your argument. All versions have the same gameplay, the same characters, and the same rules, so anyone who plays the game will know that it is a game that most likely will not end in 5 minutes.

This game requires time from you. If a person wants to pass the time or play quickly, there are hundreds of games that do that.

So back to the killer spirit whose problem has been solved in the mobile version and no one complained and that's all I ask for.

Maybe I will change the title of the post and some of its content because many people did not understand the idea.

• Rick1998
    Rick1998 Member Posts: 206

you need a headset to face any killer. Try playing against a chucky , pig , wraith or myers without a headset .

• Boons123

Not impossible, when you notice that none of the survivors are being chased by the killer then pay attention to your surroundings and it becomes easier if the killer is constantly patrolling the generators

Most importantly, make sure to fix the generators on the side that allows you to see your surroundings better, so the killer won't have a chance to catch you off guard.

• Ohyakno
    Ohyakno Member Posts: 991

I think this topic has kinda been discussed to death but an idea occured to me. In the discussions about accessibility the survivor experience is first and foremost.

What about killers who are hard of hearing? What about the perks that negate the audio cues those players already struggle with? Audio is more important to killers than survivors. What if survivors had chucky-esque footsteps you could see behind walls? What if your aura was briefly shown every time line of sight was broken, to help out people who have a hard ring hearing?

There's an intersection of accessibility and balance to be navigated. The truth is that not everything is for everyone. If I had severe arachnophobia I wouldn't boot up spider simulator 2024 and expect it to change to accommodate me. Audio cues are a huge part of this game and eliminating then in the name of accessibility changes the game completely.

• Boons123

Well, I've seen some killers who didn't see me heal myself right in front of them with Bite the Bullet.

It's skill ;)

• KeonLennedy
    KeonLennedy Member Posts: 23
    edited August 25

At the very least the lullaby visual terror radius should go off when she's phasing. Would change nothing for players who can hear but at least provide some kind of notification to players who are hard of hearing. If Sadako has to deal with the visual terror radius lullaby I don't see why a change like this would impact Spirit at all. It would at least be something without giving much of an advantage.

• Shinkiro
    edited August 25

Nope i can read just fine.

"Want to see survivors during chase? There are dozens of perks to do that for you."

You want to hear the game better? Use a headset, thats what they are there for.

THE WHOLE GAME hinges on having good sound in alot of ways, if you're not using headphones you're literally CHOOSING to have a natural disadvantage. But thats your problem.

"So back to the killer spirit whose problem has been solved in the mobile version and no one complained and that's all I ask for."

1. Its a mobile game, no one really cares in the first place and spirits power ISNT a core mechanic like terror radius.
    2. Again.. game is designed to have additional aids because you arent expected to be using headphones and have good sound quality on a mobile game playing on your phone. Its a solution for a MOBILE ONLY problem.

Just go play mobile if you want these aids in your game.

• JonahofArk
    JonahofArk Member Posts: 20
    edited August 29

With your suggestions, what would be the point in playing as spirit at all then? Her power is supposed to be this way because it highlights a very good aspect of the game- mindgaming. You can't see what the killer is doing, and in return, she can't see what you are doing. It sounds fair, no?

There is potential to mindgame. On both sides. I also dislike when survivors make no effort to learn counterplay. Iron will exists that COMPLETELY counters her power, and it is top five most used perks ATM because of its buff. If you aren't using headphones, what are you doing? If you aren't, that's on you, and you're actively at a disadvantage.

Why complain about a killer that is so rarely seen in pubs anyway? I've only gotten one spirit in the past month. And I've only faced about 6 in my ENTIRE span of playing on pc. I have about 1.2k hours ATM.

Footsteps ATM are bugged, and scratch marks are still bad and misleading. These aspects are crucial in using her power effectively. And these things are either bugged or aren't as effective as they should be. But these aren't a survivors problems are they?

As for those whose hearing is impaired, there is a visual heartbeat. You're calling changes for a killer you HARDLY see anyway in any lobby. At most, you'll only get about one spirit game every month because her player base is so low. Imo, you shouldn't be complaining about her if you don't play as her. I challenge every one who thinks she should be nerfed to play as her. So you understand the real problems at hand. Have a good day.

Post edited by JonahofArk on