The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

AFK teammates or teammates that refuse to participate should be replaced with bots

Rigbeta
Rigbeta Member Posts: 182
edited August 23 in Feedback and Suggestions

I had a game just now where a teammate threw the game out of anger over a Skull Merchant. Instead of the usual throwing. She held shift while standing in place to make it impossible to heal her. Basically, she became a literal hostage device. The SKull Merchant refused to down her, and she refused to be healed. Just stood there. And so, by the time my other teammates had died, It was me and the repugnant Ada. The Skull Merchant left her alone, with crows, till she finally found me and sacrificed me. (The Ada stood there holding shift the entire match).
This is beyond ridiculous. And it just felt so scummy on both ends of the Killer and the horrid teammate. I think that it would be hard to discern a player and when they need to be replaced by a bot, or even auto-sacrificed, because the nuances of the game, but I thoroughly believe this type of situation shouldn't be even doable. It just makes the entire match skewed and unfair.

Post edited by EQWashu on

Comments

• Ohyakno
    Ohyakno Member Posts: 987
    edited August 21

That's not what holding hostage is.

• Shinkiro
    Shinkiro Member Posts: 52
    edited August 23

"so my only hope is to hide all match while the other teammate does nothing"

Soooo you're refusing to participate and progress the game. Ironically YOU are one of the ones holding the game hostage by not attempting to change the game state (i.e do gens).

• Shinkiro
    Shinkiro Member Posts: 52
    edited August 23

You're the one holding the game hostage by choosing to not participate in your objective and end the game. A definition is a definition, it doesn't change to suit your interpretation.

• Paternalpark
    Paternalpark Member Posts: 626

Idk, isn't the killer holding the game hostage by not downing/sacrificing the survivor as well?

• Rigbeta

Exactly. The Killer has the power to remove the problem but instead used them as a leverage chip. It's utterly despicable and unfair to expect me to just bend over and take it when the favor is stacked so far against me already.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,130
    edited August 23

If I am in a game with a lose lose situation because a teammate refuses to move and the killer refuses to remove the non-participant when they have a choice in order to force my hand then THEY are holding the game hostage.

A "lose lose situation" does not equal a hostage situation. The killer is trying to win by leaving the easy kill alone and going after the survivor(s) still playing, and you are trying to win by not getting caught. If both players are still playing to win, they are making a choice, it's not a hostage situation. Hostage means one player is not being allowed to play, not being given the ability to win or lose to end the match. You could end the game by forfeiting. You don't have to like that option, but it is your choice.

Just because you do not like the choices available to you does not mean you have no options.

• Rigbeta

It IS a hostage situation because I have no AGENCY to do anything other than give up. There is no "Tap and do gens" when you're on a map that has minimal surface area and your teammate has chosen to more or less become a statue. You say I have choice. It is not a choice, it is the only option and it disgusts me that I have to be at the beck and call of a Killer taking advantage of an angry teammate.
    You literally said it yourself. There is no allowance for playing. I just have to give up and HOW is that right? It is boring and needs to be addressed.

• TragicSolitude

HOW is that right?

I didn't say it was right, I said it's not a hostage situation.

It IS a hostage situation because I have no AGENCY to do anything other than give up.

Again, that is not what a hostage situation is. Hostage means you do not have the ability to win or lose as a means to end the match, you have no choice but to disconnect to get out. I've been in actual hostage situations in the game, if I could have shoved myself onto a hook myself to get out of the match I would have.

You may think the definition of "hostage" is up for debate. It is not. The definition of words is important so people can understand each other in a conversation, and it's very important here because an actual hostage situation inside DbD is a reportable/bannable offense. The devs have specifically defined what "hostage situation" means, so it is imperative the phrase not be muddied because that causes confusion in players.

• Rigbeta

If I am being forced to choose the option of losing then I'd say it may as well be a hostage situation. You can holler all you want about definitions but that doesn't make it right for people to take advantage of a broken scenario and for someone to outright force a situation to become so stagnant. You may think the definition of hostage is not up for debate. It is, because I'm debating it, if two players are making a game unwinnable and creating a situation that leaves a Morton's fork, then it is a hostage situation. "Imperative not to muddy" when it literally is happening.

• TragicSolitude

that doesn't make it right for people to take advantage of a broken scenario

I still never said it made it right. There are many things that can be wrong and unfair. It's wrong and unfair when a teammate stops playing and creates a lose-lose scenario. I never said otherwise. Going AFK and throwing the match like that is considered "Unsportsmanlike behavior." It falls under the definition of "refusing to participate in normal gameplay." The behavior/situation is already defined, and it a separate type of wrong from the defined "hostage situation."

• EQWashu
    EQWashu Member, Mod Posts: 5,013

Closing the thread here, due to comments made. Please remember when posting on the Forums to keep comments civil and respectful, and be open to constructive conversation.

Also, I would like to take a moment to clarify "holding the game hostage" simply in regards to the Game Rules, and what is reportable. If Survivors refuse to touch generators and/or hide so as to likely never get into chase for prolonged or indefinite periods of time, this is considered holding the game hostage as far as the Game Rules, and is reportable. Also, if a Killer (or another Survivor) bodyblock a Survivor into a spot where they cannot leave and participate in gameplay, and this goes on for more than a few minutes (and is happening before End Game Collapse), this is holding a player hostage, and is reportable as well.

This discussion has been closed.