The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Hex and Boon Changes

SoGo
SoGo Member Posts: 807
edited September 12 in Feedback and Suggestions

Hexes and Boons are, at the moment, fairly unused with some exceptions. This is mostly because the perks are weak, or just because of some general issues. I decided to change some things, which hopefully make these perks better.

General Hex Changes:

• Change the totem spawns so they don't appear in obvious locations (near gens, in open places etc.)

Individual Hex Changes:

Hex: Blood Favor
• Increase the duration of the pallet block to 20 seconds.

Hex: Crowd Control
• Increase the duration of the window blocks to 60/70/80 seconds.
OR
• Add the effect that once a generator is finished, all vaults in a 32 m radius become blocked for 60 seconds

Hex: Huntress Lullaby
• Remove the stacking, now this perk becomes fully active at the start of the trial.

Hex: Ruin
• Increase the regression speed to 100/125/150%

Hex: Thrill of the Hunt
• Increase the bonus bloodpoint gain to 20% per totem

Hex: Two Can Play
• Rework the activation requirement of this perk. Now, this hex lights up when the killer gets stunned for the first time, but deactivates for good after being cleansed.
• Increase the duration of the blind to 2,5/3,0/3,5 seconds

Hex: Wreched Fate (Full rework)

This perk activates when the first generator is completed, creating a special sixth Hex totem. This totem can be seen and cleansed only by the Obsession. This totem also cannot be blessed.

If the Obsession dies or is sacrificed, the totem will become visible and interactable for everyone.

If the totem is still standing once all generators are powered, the following effects apply:

• The Hex Totem becomes blocked for the rest of the trial.
• The Exit Gates will take extra 15 seconds to open.
• The hook timers of all survivors decrease by 20%.
• If the Hatch spawns while this Hex is active, it will close itself automatically.
• Unopened Exit Gates regress automatically and reveal the auras of survivors interacting with them.
• The entity blocks an exit gate for 15 seconds after it becomes open, and for 5 seconds every time a survivor loses a health state in the exit gate area.

General Boon changes:

• Reduce the noises that the boons make significantly to make them quieter.
• Increase the general radius of the boons to 32 meters

Individual Boon changes:

Boon: Illumination
• Make it so that it also shows the auras of totems, pallets and windows.
• Replace the cleansing/blessing speed bonus with a 4/5/6 second lingering effect.

Boon: Dark Theory
• Increase the speed bonus to 3%

Boon: Shadow Step
• Add an effect of muffling footsteps of survivors into it.

That's all from me for now. If you have any questions or ideas, let me know.

Post edited by SoGo on

Comments

• HolyDarky
    HolyDarky Member Posts: 608

Peanits already explained the issue with totem spawns even though it was kinda low (Peanits said this in a recent post about totems) .

I am still thinking about how the developers will buff Crowd Control. Would it be a healthy buff when it works like Blood Favour? The duration is not really the issue of this Perk - even though I am afraid that this the buff that this perk will get - similar to Darkness Revealed. It is more like that this Perk is rather map depending and Bamboozle is more reliable. I was also thinking about that Crowd Control blocks every window until the hex is cleansed but that might be too strong on some killers and on some maps.

Lullaby is a bit too much but maybe it could get two stacks by one hook instead one stack by one hook.

I don't like the idea of bringing back old ruin but since we are moving back to the old dbd, okay bring old ruin back.

TotH okay.

2cplay okay. The Perk is still rather meh.

Wretched Fate: I think the rework is a bit too much but at the same time it is rather weak. If you prepare for endgame, bring NWO. I still don't like the upcoming version but I also don't like your suggestion.

Boons are fine. Increasing it to 32m can make them too powerful like dropping a The Game offering and you can always get a quick heal. Same for Dark Theorie and it's haste, especially when buffed to 3%. You can also drop Eyrie because a totem often spawns on top of the main building. Combinations like these can be really powerful especially on SWF.

Boon Illumination could get a buff for SoloQ like seeing teammates auras or something like this instead of seeing Totems. I mean, this won't make the perk better.

• Langweilg
    Langweilg Member Posts: 777

Blood favor is already good.

Your Crowed control buff is fine. It would be funny if it blocks the vaults permanently after they get blocked until the hex gets distroyed.

Huntress lullaby is fine like it is right now. I would only make it apply its effects to killer items skill checks.

Ruin should be 150% and wether or not 200% is too much I don‘t know

Thrill of the hunt: I would want that it is just a perk to buff hexes instead of spawning it‘s own hex.

Two can play: 100% agree with everything except of it getting removed from the game after it got cleansed. Personally I think this perk shouldn‘t be a hex perk.

The boon buffs are good even tho I would buff them more.

• SoGo

I also saw the discusdion about totems. There was no explanation on why do totems spawn right next to gens. There was also a point about some totem spawns being guaranteed. That should not happen. The Boon range buff also ties into this, since totems would be in much less frequented areas, I increased the range to compensate that.

Unless you want Crowd Control to have another effect, this is the only buff you can give it.

All Lullaby does is make skill checks silent and cause extra regression. Only the skill check sounds are stack based, and you rarely get 5 stacks. This perk can be nasty... against new players. I don't think it would be that op.

I made Wreched Fate with the main gimmick of Hexes in mind: high risk, high reward.

• HolyDarky
    HolyDarky Member Posts: 608

I made Wreched Fate with the main gimmick of Hexes in mind: high risk, high reward.

But it's not really high reward (please correct me if I am wrong or misunderstand something because I will explain why I don't see the high reward based on how I understand your suggestion/rework):

The Obsession suffers from a permanent 50% action speed penalty to cleansing/blessing totems. → 28sec is not that much. You are also in the situation where you either let the survivor cleanse the totem and leave them alone or you harass them. Of cause the survivor is useless for this time but I will explain later why I don't like it.
    • The Exit Gates will take extra 15 seconds to open. → No Way Out and Remember me are much more reliable and the survivors need more time with them.
    • If the Hatch spawns while this Hex is active, it will close itself automatically. → not really a strong or healthy effect. I don't like the hatch in that way that once two survivors are left, they play the hide game for the hatch which is really boring but if the last survivor gets the hatch, this is not a huge deal.
    • Unopened Exit Gates regress automatically → Also not really strong because survivors are aware of this and can easily open it, and it is rather unreliable because you cannot always harass the survivors away from the exitgates. You also don't always 99% an exitgate.
    • The entity blocks an exit gate for 10 seconds after it becomes open, and for 3 seconds every time a survivor loses a health state in the exit gate area. → overall, 20 + 15 + 10 = 45sec. Remember Me has with full stacks 44sec while No Way Out has 80sec (if all survivors all hooked but in general, you will get at least three different hooks which means 68sec). Both Perks don't have the drawback of beeing cleansed. In addition, you can still ignore or tunnel a survivor and get the best value out of these Perks. In case of your rework, the Obsession has an additional sidequest but once it is gone, it is gone. The only real advantage you have with this rework is that you can use it on a hex build with Pentimento but idk considering the fact that the developers seem not to care about hexes and totem, I hexbuilds are still meh.

In general, I don't like the idea of one survivor gets punished for the fact that the team is doing good because it is how the perk works and because this survivor is the obsession. Other Obessionperks requiere interaction and initiative from the Obsession - STBFL → go and force the killer to hit you so the killer loses their tokens; PWYF → Be stealthy and hide to avoid haste. It is a similar problem I have with Rancor: You are for no reasons useless because the game chose you to be the Obsession. It is okay to disagree about it but I don't like these types of Perks.

However, this does not mean, I don't like your rework. As a perk it can be good and will have it's place in the game (like I said, on a full hex build) but there are some points that I don't like. In my opinion, the Perk should get active when you hook the Obsession and when the Obsession switces during the game, the Hex is still active and switches with the Obsession. Since this Perk is rather an endgame perk, maybe it is better when it gets active in the endgame instead of during the match?

• SoGo

I understand your points. I personally thought these effects were enough. If this perk activated during the endgame, everyone would say it's op. NOED has the same problem.

Also, while I was creating the perk, at one point it blocked the totem for good once the endgame started, meaning the effects would be permament. But I found an issue →the killer camping the totem until endgame. So I changed it to the action speed penalty.

• SoGo

Made some adjustments to the perks, namely changing the effects of Hex: Wreched Fate and adding another idea of a Hex: Crowd Control buff.

• SoGo

Huntress Lullaby is, in my opinion, a perk that takes too long to kick in. You have to put in the same amount of work as Devour Hope, a perk that lets you instakill survivors.

As for boons, I don’t really think they are that bad, however, @Murgleïs has a discussion with really nice ideas:

Small boon buffs — BHVR

• MechWarrior3
    MechWarrior3 Member Posts: 2,094
    edited September 1

Hex - Dead for dead. “A survivor cleanses a totem and gets transported and slapped on a hook. This doesn’t count as a hook, however your teammate still has to get you and you will be injured…this can happen up to 2 times in a trial” 😅😅🤣🤣🤣

I don’t know why this idea came to my head.

• SoGo
    edited September 1
  • PuddleOfBludd
    PuddleOfBludd Member Posts: 87

The worst Boone in the game currently is circle of healing. There are so many other healing perks that are superior. It used to be a really good perk but as always the complainers ruin everything. Sure in SWF in can be useful, but SoloQ? Wasted perk slot.

And don’t even get me started on lure. You have a witch … who can create boons … but then has to rely on someone else to come and heal her. Might as well have Sable wait around in the basement to for someone else to heal her with Strength in Shadows.

Just very underwhelming for the majority of players in SoloQ. As always things abused by the few SWF bullies gets nerfed into the ground for everyone else.

How I would rework it:

Boon: Circle of Healing

Press and hold  the Active Ability Button on a Dull or Hex totem to Bless it and create a Boon Totem. Soft chimes ring out in a 24m radius.

All survivors benefit from the following effects when inside the Boon Totem’s radius:

• If a survivor is injured their aura is revealed to all other survivors.

A powerful spell, weaved from the fabric of the fog and transferred into the totem which grows in power.

For each unhook, altruistic healing action or protection hit taken, gain a token. (Up to a maximum of 6 per trial)

Then:

Survivors with Boon: Circle of Healing in an active perk slot benefit from the following effects while inside of the Boon Totem’s radius:

• Unlocks the Self-Care ability, allowing survivors to heal without a Med-Kit.
    • Increases healing speeds by 80/90/100 when not using a Med-Kit.
    • For each Self-Care healing action, spend 2 tokens.
    • For each altruistic healing action, spend one token.
    • When all tokens are spent, Boon: Circle of Healing deactivates.

(Tokens are shared among all Survivors with Boon: Circle of Healing in an active perk slot.)

(Tokens are shared and spent among each instance of Boon: Circle of Healing being activated.)

And that is how you give a witch a powerful perk, that cannot be abused.

Starting out it acts as nothing more than empathy, revealing the aura of injured survivors.

But as the match progresses, it grows more powerful based on altruistic actions. 

It has a limited number of charges (tokens) that are shared among anyone running the park. This prevents SWFs from abusing it by running it 4 times. It won’t matter if they do because they share the tokens.

And the charges (tokens) being carried and lost over each instance of it’s reactivation prevent a never ending healing zone. It makes the perk powerful how it should be, but it also makes it to where it needs to be used wisely and not just every single time you take a hit. 

ie: you’ve spent three charges by healing yourself and a teammate, The killer comes and snuffs the totem. Later on in the match, you reactivate it, you still only have three charges left.

Or let’s say you and your team have earned two tokens and spent them, you now can only earn four more. 

And yes, this means that only the person/people with the perk active can spend tokens. Other than that it’s empathy .

If it wasn’t clear, by the way, once all the charges are gone, it deactivates, which means you can’t reactivate it for another set of charges. You get six, once they are gone that’s it. The perk is turned off. Six tokens per trial.

• SoGo

Ok, so first of all, interesting rework idea. I think it's not necessary to have it limited to only 6 tokens per trial, though.

And second, Circle of Healing is arguably the best boon that there is, even after the nerfs. I mean, Dark Thoery and Illumination exist and are bad. The only perk that gives you a bonus equal to CoH is We'll Make It.

• SoGo
    edited September 3

Added a suggestion for a Boon: Shadow Step buff.

• Langweilg

For the boon perks I suggest:

• Dark theory: 2% hindered to the killer, 2% haste for survivors and 5% vault speed
    • Exponential: You see hook auras in range of the boon. Additionally survivors could be silent on the ground.
    • COH: Self care with 45% healing speed and increases healing speed by 45%. (Would make shattered hope basekit if this perk gets selfsame back) or increases normal healing speed by 100%(was 100% altruistic healing speed)

Agree with your shadow step making footsteps silent in its range.

• SoGo

First off, thanks for responding!

Both the Dark Theory and Exponential suggestions sound good imo. I didn't put Exponential or CoH in the discussion because I felt like they are good enough.

As for putting in basekit Shattered Hope for Circle of Healing in exchange for self healing, I'd be down for that. Add in the bigger range and lower volume of it, and you have a good, but not too op perk.

• Panabas
    Panabas Member Posts: 24

They don't need to be changed, they just need to be a new slot.

• SoGo

With all due respect, what would this change do aside from raising Hex/Boon pick rates?

It would still have the same problems as always.

• Panabas

It would force a new dynamic when people have long sought a secondary layer.

• SoGo

Yes, it would brute force the usage of Hexes/Boons because, with a free slot, why not use them?

But the problems would stay: hexes getting cleansed within a minute, boons not being worth the effort + being loud as a vacuum, etc.

• VomitMommy
    VomitMommy Member Posts: 2,259

Yeah, some are too weak and would need buffs, but I don't think that is main problem.

Main issue is totem spawns. Spawns middle of nowhere visible from half of the map, spawns next to gens, guaranteed spawns easy to find, survivors spawning on top of hex...

What is purpose of totem hunting perks at this point? I don't think any totem should be in a spot you can see from 4+ meters, it should be in spots you need to actively check to find them.

• SoGo
  • Philscooper
    Philscooper Member Posts: 40
    1. hexes arent weak,
      while there are hexes that bring more value over others in common situations
      hexes like noed, devour hope or even ruin, are still pretty strong

i disagree that totem spots are "too obvious"
      - having to remember all the totem spots and finding them is too much of a hassle for anyone to do
      so, nobody is EVER going to remember them

- alot of maps have really wierd totem spots that you would never find even if you run through the entire map
      for example : there are totem spots that can be fairly hidding in some corner + grass
      watertower in glenwale (gunslinger's map) by the small box
      toba landing, very right of main, next to the stairs and next to the pathway that can slightly go below main
      theres a small grass spot that nobody runs past, a totem can spawn and be hidden in grass
      then theres midwich with its wierd locker totems and rpd which are either obvious or well hidden on the upstairs

yes the totem spawns and which totem is a hex is rng,
      but its not like ALL totems are very obvious, otherwise nobody would bother using them

there are often games even in swfs where nobody is able to find that one hex totem that is in the most hidden or random spot that nobody has yet heard/searched for (now imagine that with multiple hex totems in soloq)

1.5 boons are less used and less viable, expo and CoH are still viable in swfs and very useful
      the rest of the boons are honestly no worth running no matter how you try to use it or even if they get buffed :/

2. the buffs (hexes)
      blood favour : the problem with buffing this hex remotely is killers like clown or blight,
      would be very diffcult or close to impossible to fight against
      its already good enough, especially if you do an entire build around it

crowd control : bamboozle is and always will be better
      reworking wont change that and making it last 4 minutes wont change that

huntress lullaby : while i do agree that it shouldnt be this weak, it shouldnt also have full power
      reduce it to like 1-3 tokens for some downtime and give the survivors a chance to still do generators or find the totem
      rather then being completely oblivious to finding that totem

ruin : honestly i dont mind, its obvious, its not too opressive, can get alot of value when not clensed
      Thrill of hunt : if killer wants more bp, sure
      two can play : sure, got no problems with that

Wretched Fate : while i do admire the idea you were trying to do and the rework idea on itself
      this would take too much effort for a single perk for behavior to even implement
      even if it somehow did, this is just a pure soloq pub/noob stomper perk with how bizzare the idea and function of this perk
      everyone can cleanse the totem before endgame and if they dont they basically die
      its not healthy noir is it fun for both sides

3. Buffs (Boons)

the range and less noise will make every killer complain
      it could give a small range buff or less noise, (either/or, definitely not both)
      but overall boons are really good where they are at right now, in terms of health and power

Illumination : make it show literally everything, i dont care if that would "bloat the screen with aura"
      auras are still useless in soloq and only useful for beginners, even then it gets overshadowed by detectives hunch or maps or other perks that help you in tasks of "its there", deja vu for gens, plunderer for chests, ect ect.
      it should honestly be buffed so cleansing/booning is alot more, i'll say 50%
      or rework the perk entirely

dark theory : so it doesnt really require effort but its somehow gives a 5 haste boost for everyone?
      especially with the buffs, and hatred towards hate,
      i dont think buffing it to 5% would be good,
      especially when other weaker haste perks require more for less
      (plus you need to consider the possible boon spam and haste stacking it can come with it)
      you could just buff the range or/and give it a SLIGHT haste boost so its not completely worthless
      or also maybe include other actions like gens, chests, vaulting, healing, ect

Shadow step : ngl it should supress literally everything it can, footsteps, blood, grunts, everything
      otherwise it will get overshadowed by other boons (and even by the buffed dark theory), noir will it be worth running because
      "well killer can just run that perk to counter an entire boon perk"

i dont want both sides to be stomped by hex's and boons
      have a nice day and enjoy the feedback : )

• Langweilg

The sad thing is they can‘t really improve the spawns by much, when maps become smaller and smaller and tinier. Since they did this totem spawns became worse and worse.

• VomitMommy

You can simply make gaps in some structures like Badham has few spots, but they don't think about totems at all with map design, then just randomly place them around, which creates such terrible spawns.

Leri's, Badham and some others have this. So totem is inside some small structure of grass, or boxes etc.

You can also use corners of map, they don't need to be put in middle. I am pretty sure I would be able to find enough hiding spots on most maps, except Eyrie of Crows probably...

• SoGo

First things first, thanks, I will enjoy it!

Now, I might have exaggerated the state of Hexes a bit. I also think that NOED or Devour are great.

As for the totem spawns, yes, they can spawn in a good place. But that is the best case scenario. The worst case scenario is exactly what I described in the original post. Totems spawning in the open, next to gens, right next to survivor spawns, etc. On top of that, there are some maps with guaranteed totem spots.

The boon range increase ties into this point. Since totems would be ideally placed away from high-traffic areas, boons would get worse by proxy. I made the range buff to balance it out. As for the sounds, well, a running vacuum is quieter than boons, so making them quieter is a thing that comes to mind easily.

As to Blood Favor, 15 seconds seemed just a bit too little to me. That said, if all but one change from this post were inplemented, Blood Favor would be the one to stay as is.

Huntress Lullaby stacks only affect the skill check sounds. That is an unnessesary condition if I ever seen one.

The Illumination part made me think of adding pallets and windows into the equation, so thx for ideas!

Dark Theory should be 3% max. I guess you misunderstood the post, I didn't want 3% added on top of the 2% already there, just 1%. In total, a 3% speed boost - same as MfT.

• Langweilg
    edited September 10

You can simply make gaps in some structures like Badham has few spots, but they don't think about totems at all with map design, then just randomly place them around, which creates such terrible spawns.

Leri's, Badham and some others have this. So totem is inside some small structure of grass, or boxes etc.

Sadly you are right they do not really care about hexes and boons. I really hope they give boons and hexes some buffs in the next update since they said they want to make a lot of perks better there.

Having the boons spawn like on those maps would be great, but it would still not do much on most maps when they are small. Those two maps are relatively big and have a lot of walls, which make hiding them better. The other maps simply do not have those advantages.

You can also use corners of map, they don't need to be put in middle. I am pretty sure I would be able to find enough hiding spots on most maps, except Eyrie of Crows probably...

I would like it, but this change would make boons even worse than they already are and on the other side many survivors would probably complain, which would lead to one of the fastest reverts.

• VomitMommy

I personally enjoyed NOED, Ruin, Undying meta. There was a reason to use anti hex perks. They are garbage now, because hex builds are mostly trash.

Survivors to complain about better totem spawns just have skill issue in my opinion.

There is a pattern, which would probably stay, so as soon I find 1 totem, I can easily find rest of them.

Eyrie of crows is probably only map beyond saving. Light, open, no gabs. Just bunch of straight loops and rocks. There are several spots where I can see 2 totems at the same time.

• Ethromel
    Ethromel Member Posts: 175

My issue with hexes is the conspicuous hiding places the put the totems. There's no need to search when the hex is right in front of the survivor's face as they walk around. It's actually ridiculous, yet when I'm playing as survivor, the totems get hidden like where's Waldo.

Just like when I play survivor I get teamed with rookies, but when I play killer I get pitted against professionals that can loop with their eyes closed. Makes no sense.

• Chiky
    Chiky Member Posts: 732

Hex totems should be able to be rekindled infinitely. Period

• SoGo

I would like it, but this change would make boons even worse than they already are and on the other side many survivors would probably complain, which would lead to one of the fastest reverts.

That exact thing was the reason why did I put in the boon range increase. To accomodate for the new, potentially less useful totem spots.

• Langweilg

That was not my reason. My reason was survivors would hate to search the corners of maps and would probably struggle to cleanse devour or … in time, because of the massively increased places where hexes could be.

• Panabas

Boons were awfully powerful at release and so they were nerfed into a pretty futile state, unfortunately, which is also similar to Hexes. They just aren't worth the actual slot /anymore/ and the time, but this could be balanced from the new slot and also adjustment to how they impact the experience as a second layer, so to speak. I love the potential of them, I love how they could expand the core experience!

• SoGo

Added a buff to Boon: Illumination.