The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Can there be an option to shut off cosmetics and charms of other players?

Whenever I play Survivor or Killer, the cosmetic options of survivors tend to be very distracting and sometimes muddy up my target. Killers this is less of an issue, but I do kind of prefer seeing the base Killer's design, as it's just more consistent.
For instance, I was looking for Renato, but one of his skins actually makes him look very much like Ace. I would like there to be an option to just see Survivors and Killers as their default form. It'd just make the visuals better I think. Plus, sometimes the cosmetics survivors wear cover up my screen while I carry them, such as the Yui Fox Skin.I also dislike seeing charms. To me they kinda detract from the nature of the game, that may seem like a weird thing to complain about, but I actually like the base aesthetic of DBD as a horror game, so seeing tiny dolls and goofy little tokens hanging off hooks and survivors kind takes me out.
All I'm asking is if it would be possible to make the option available, kind of like when a Survivor DCD in the past, their bot would default to the base appearance.

Comments

• Rigbeta
    Rigbeta Member Posts: 182

Why should that matter? SHowing off cosmetics isn't the point. The point is you like what you got.

• Rokku_Rorru
    Rokku_Rorru Member Posts: 1,066

I'm going to disagree here and say add emotes and keep letting us express ourselves more.

• Rigbeta

It has nothing to do with censoring expression. You can do whatever you want and dress your character however you want. I just prefer not being blinded by a cosmetic's lightshow and having consistency with who I'm up against.
    I also like the subdued aesthetic of most of the base cosmetics. there's no reason to take this as an "attack" on expression. It would be from your own perspective anyways. So I don't see why it's a problem.

• Rigbeta

Also. Emotes could be used to bm people. If anything just add more in-game communication gestures. There's no need to turn the game into some kinda circus or dance party.

• Rokku_Rorru

Deal with it, every other live service has it, it'd be fun to emote with people you don't always have to assume a t-bag is to bm you, sometimes its to catch someone like yourselves anger so you make mistakes.

Try changing your perspective, it might help

• Rigbeta

Okay, you don't have to be aggressive or strange. It's just a conversation.
    And I don't think emotional manipulation is healthy in any case. BM is BM even if you try to handwave it as a tactic.

• Rigbeta

While yes, you can argue pay to win is acceptable, I prefer having consistent visuals and don't enjoy how some survivors becoem so altered they physically don;t resemble themselves.
    You mention "Obsessed" with immersion, when really I just like the base aesthetic and would like an option to have that.
    I don't think it's a problem if a survivor playing as Meg just looks like Meg.
    And showing off shouldn't be a high point for why you have something, rather you enjoy it and have it for yourself.
    Turning off those functions wouldn't remove the "abiulity to feel alive" for the person who sees and uses their own cosmetics in the slightest. They wouldn't even know. The idea is that the person who has it off sees that survivor/killer as their base form.

• Rokku_Rorru

You are being aggressive assuming people are wanting emotes with bad intentions, stopping people from expressing themself with cosmetics is a terrible idea.

• Rigbeta

What you're saying makes no sense.
    I am stating that bm is bm. If a survivor acts in a manner that is entailed to incite a player, that is Bm.
    You're the one saying stuff like "Deal with it" and saying smug things like "try changing your perspective, it might help" with a full stop. It's just unnecessary. You can argue a point without being unpleasant.
    And it would not stop people from expressing themself. It would allow the person who shuts off the cosmetics to "see" everyone as their base form. It wouldn't effect the the other players' view of themself or their charms.

• Rokku_Rorru

I'm not wrong am I? You could try not assuming the worst and you might enjoy interactions with others more, Cosmetics aren't going to hurt you, bm is a form of experession if you like it or not, it's just a game lol you do need to lighten up and realise that the cosmetics are fine, entire characters are locked behind them do you really think they'll just turn off the ability to see them?

They are what make this game so special, seeing how people dress up their characters etc. it's fun.

• EQWashu
    EQWashu Member, Mod Posts: 5,013

Please remember to keep the discussions here civil and respectful. Thank you.

• Rigbeta

You still were very rude for no reason. And still are with your rhetorical question and oversimplification of what I'm talking about. You've changed the point of the discussion to paint me as being "hurt" by players. The only one being hurtful is you. It's highly unnecessary.
    And "Assuming the worst" is not what I do. I just go about my business and play a match. However, you have quickly shown that you do indeed prefer having the ability to bm and even attempt to proselytize it as "Expression". ANd with that I disagree.

And as I said. Multiple times, it's fine for people to express themselves. I just would prefer if I could play the game with clarity and the main aesthetic based on the original base forms. Why is that wrong? It would effect no one but me.
    My "perspective" is that I'd rather see characters as their base. I also think legendary characters would be fine since they have their own portraits. Since they are "Characters" not "Cosmetics".
    It wouldn't effect you in the slightest. Except apparently even talking about it does. So I dunno what else to say to you.

• Rigbeta
    edited September 11

Sorry, I will try to not respond with novelettes waxing "righteous anger".
    It's easy to get swept up in a bad temperament, if that makes sense.

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,844

Showing off cosmetics is a big selling point and a mechanic that prevents other players from seeing them would hurt cosmetic sales, which isn't what BHVR wants.

• Rigbeta

That point has been made, but I don't think it would effect anything mostly because no one would be able to tell.

• Rigbeta

In fact, I'd use anonymous mode 100% if it made everyone look Base.

• moputopia
    moputopia Member Posts: 136

You seem to be taking this topic very personally, considering you don't have to use this hypothetical option. And @Rigbeta is right, you're coming off rather unpleasant lol.

I like to dress up my characters, but I would support a mode like this. Either to keep the visuals more familiar or closer to the game's og horror aesthetic.

• RoastedGarlic
    RoastedGarlic Member Posts: 592
    edited September 11

back in the day there used to be settings in mp games to force player models to default. I don't see why that would be a problem. Boo hoo someone else cant see your skin you bought, why does that bug you considering you do not see and wouldn't even know said player used that option?

The skins you buy and use are for you, they're not for other people. I remember playing Jedi Academy back in the day using modded skins and everyone else would see me as kyle katarn, it never bothered me one bit that no one seen me in my darth vader or grey fox from mgs skins. This was common place, almost every player was kyle because we all had modded skins and could only see the modded skins other people had installed.

This is a good idea and bhvr should implement it.

• Rokku_Rorru

I just said deal with it, no idea how it's taking it personally no one has insulted me, nor me them I'm just making a suggestion to help them deal with their struggles when it comes to "BM".

I'm sorry @Rigbeta, if I upset you, I was honestly trying to help I just amn't the best when it comes to wording things. I just don't think hiding cosmetics would help much and that's okay to disagree, you don't need to justify it, your opinion is valid too.

• RoastedGarlic

You want to see cosmetics and the op here says they want to see the base skins. Why does what you want to see trump what they want to see when you don't see what they see. That is like you saying I can't use color blind mode because it ruins your immersion. That is incredibly self centered and selfish of you.

This option would also help lower end consoles and pcs performance with the ability to reduce overall texture and model load if there is multiple kates in the same game. instead of loading 4 different unique kates those consoles now only load 1. From a technical standpoint this could greatly boost performance for players using last gen consoles like the switch.

• Rigbeta

I hadn't thought of the performance boost! That's an equally great reasoning, if not more of a good reason^ Also, I appreciate your support, thank you.
    I genuinely was think more of aesthetic but that's a very good point as well to bring up ^^

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,130

If I could turn on "disable cosmetics" while in the public lobby, I absolutely would every time a Yui wearing those damn tails popped in. They have absolutely destroyed the framerate in some matches, I do not want to play with anyone wearing that skin.

• Ohyakno
    Ohyakno Member Posts: 987

Game makes the lions share of it's money through cosmetics. People like knowing that others are seeing the cosmetics. If you make that less likely, they will be less inclined to purchase cosmetics.

It's not happening. No game with cosmetic purchases has this option.

• RoastedGarlic

no adult i know cares about what skin or survivor people are using what. I buy skins and cosmetics because I want to use them not to show off to 4 other people in a game I'll probably never play with again. People buy skins in single player games so this argument is dead in the water.

• Rigbeta

It wouldn't effect other people in the slightest. No one is gonna be pressed just because someone can't see if they're base sable or sable with bat wings.
    It's goofy.
    I want to have a base aesthetic because I like the consistency and look of it, I don't understand why that would be a problem in the slightest when anyone and everyone has the ability to see what they themself owns.
    There's a Store for a reason. It shows you cosmetic options. You don't have to see it on another character in a game.