We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

What are your hot takes?

2»

Comments

• Star99er
    Star99er Member Posts: 1,453

Indoor maps are more fun to play on overall. They typically have strong loops for survivors and benefit a lot of under used and/or less powerful killers like Trapper, Hag, Twins. Strong killers like Billy and Blight have a harder time traversing the map which is nice.

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,881
    edited October 10

I'm sure that was part of the difference, but the downsides you're calling out really aren't that bad in my opinion. Face camping affected exactly one survivor and often only came into play in the endgame, where killers can still face camp if they really want to. Every survivor suffers the whole game against most of the recently released killers, though. True infinites were BS for killer, but only some maps even had them, and if you knew about them you could just refuse to chase on those tiles; it's not too different than refusing to chase in a main building with a completed gen, say, just even more of a hard "NO".

Back then, these issues were not that big of a deal, because people were not sweating to win at all costs. There was no MMR, rank rewards, etc., so unless you were grinding for the Rank 1 achievements, rank was completely meaningless, and you would get a much wider variety of skill in your teammates and your opponents. That random difference in skill made more of a difference in day-to-day games than aspects of the game high-level survivors could theoretically (but infrequently in practice) exploit.

Even back then kill rates were reasonably high, probably in large part because survivors were not sweating! I used to love to do totems and chests in part precisely because I didn't feel like I was likely to be dominated in a chase. It was never optimal, but optimal play did not matter back then. Now it does, even if you don't want to be competitive, because of how many killers are dominant in the chase now; the only counterplay is to rush gens. Back then, there was enough inherent room for counterplay in the chase that you didn't need to glue yourself to a generator to play a fun match. And I thought that was more fun on both sides; less stress as survivor, more memes, etc. and less despair when you have a long chase as killer because the survivors are less likely to be absolutely slamming gens.

In terms of the sheer tools at the disposal of each side, the game was very survivor sided at launch and has gradually gotten less so over time, yet kill rates have always been similar. This shows up in the gameplay, as now against many killers survivors need to pound gens or they'll get 4k'd. This isn't particularly fun for either side.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,973

Gen perks are absolutely boring and I hope they consider just not releasing anymore for either sides

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,315
    edited October 11

"Vent games" where people have a bad time in match A and take it out on player(s) in match B are just plain disgusting and I really don't care about the reasons.

If someone gets to that point they should turn the game off and do something else as they're clearly beyond tilted. If they get to that point often enough to make that impractical, I'd be happy if they quit or got banned. Good riddance to community poison. Please get that sorted out before ever playing any multiplayer game again.

Sure feels like a hot take with how often people straight up say they do it or justify it, or how you might even get threads of someone being bled out or something is hit with "well how do we know you didn't tbag??" replies… and then "okay but another survivor might've done it in the previous match though" even after they upload the entire match.

Post edited by oxygen on
  • angel_pellegrino
    angel_pellegrino Member Posts: 23

Survivors are where a lot of the hostility in the game originates. And I say this as someone who plays a lot of survivor. I'll put it this way, I've never gotten a hateful message from a killer the whole time I've played this game. What I have gotten is survivors who, even though I'm on a console and don't have the chat, will go out of their way to personally message me outside of the game. That difference, between how killers vs survivors act after the game, is indicative of some of the stuff that goes on IN game.

I've had teammates side with the killer to sandbag, which is a million times worse than literally anything a killer has ever done in game. After all, killers aren't my teammates and I don't expect them to be very nice. And I've seen teammates seemingly playing the game solely to taunt and follow the killer around, tea bag, etc. Truth be told, I suspect that some killers start the game playing normally, and eventually turn into slugging, camping sweatlords after too many run ins with teabagging, toxic flashlight clickers.

What makes DBD different than some other games is that it's divided into two sides, survivor and killer. But I think some people take the morality aspects of being survivor too seriously. It's not good vs evil, guys. It's a video game. With human beings who want to have a good experience on both sides.

• angel_pellegrino
    angel_pellegrino Member Posts: 23

I also believe that it's important for killers to play survivor every once in a while. A lot of how I play as killer is influenced by having played so much as killer. For instance, I don't see a weaker survivor and think to myself, "Wow. They suck and I'm gonna tunnel them out as soon as possible to get a 3vs1 yeah!" I mean, I'm sure the person playing is probably new or inexperienced and is having a hard enough time as it is, I don't need to stomp them into the ground for a 4k. It's a game. Sh#t ain't that serious.

And that's how I feel about running back to hook as well. I just don't do it. Endgame? I don't care. I'd rather patrol and pressure gens than go after the poor dude I just stomped on already. I like to spread hook stages anyway. I like to be the kind of killer I would like to play against. Meaning I never bleed out, camp or extreme tunnel weak links out of the game.

Like I said, sh#t ain't that damn serious, dude.

• RakimSockem
    RakimSockem Member Posts: 1,993

Huntress is both the most fun killer to play AND the most fun to play against.

The only other killer I would put on par or (maybe slightly) higher would be playing against a Billy that only uses Chainsaw.

• cheapslurpiee
    cheapslurpiee Member Posts: 8

The long lunge is the worst mechanic in the game even considering all powers and perks...

The distance a killer covers in that motion at whatever speed it is has effectively stunted the "close shave" aspect of the game especially when you consider how ping and hit detection is so weird in this game (see all DBD funny montages). The distance at which you should monitor between you and the killer is now more subjective to each game. You have the foot distance, the lunge distance, and the swing distance all to account for... wack

Some time ago, I think I heard a call of duty exec say "you want people to blame themselves when something goes wrong... not the game."

You can't do anything about this now (nor do I want them to) but I've had too many games and seen too many where you just go "there was nothing you could've done there" and I think that is paradoxical to what a game is.

• Pit_Bull_Love
    Pit_Bull_Love Member Posts: 47

Basement should have two exits/entrances.

• Theo_Urista
    Theo_Urista Member Posts: 34

I think clown is harder to play than singularity.

• Grimlet09
    Grimlet09 Member Posts: 77
    edited October 12

im a survior main and i think its ok that winrate is only 40% for us. this is sposed to be horror theme game. we sposed not to win a bunch cuz we the ppl in a horror movie. i just think only fix we need is more bp so losing doesnt feel so bad.

most of time i hear other surviors whine mroe than killers and most of time my game is ruind by bad surviors not bad killers bein toxic. i think surviors are meaner than kilers and way worse sports msot of time :(

ppl who play ghost face are very funny and cute and idc when they betray me even bc its silly its just a game dont take so serous. :)

stelth killrs arent that bad thye ok u just runnin a bucnh of good perks that hurt them is all, i still see good pigs do rly well.

Wesker only good cuz u can abuse a bunch of bugs to ur advantage he is badly designed.

there to much gen progression not enough for killers to control gens and i think all the gen perks need fixing.

i wold rather see bunch of aura perks on killer than bunch of gen perks.

nurse is big reson buch of stuff too strng or complaind about or not fix on killer side. nurse needs a full rework she is to strong.

i think medkit nerf justified and i think green toolbox is to strong and needs a nerf.

• CountOfTheFog
    CountOfTheFog Member Posts: 2,244

Killer Aura Perks Should not exist

Flashlights Should not exist

I said what I said 😤

• THE_Crazy_Hyena
    THE_Crazy_Hyena Member Posts: 265

Personal hot take:
    DBD was better before MMR (SBMM)

• Malkhrim
    Malkhrim Member Posts: 974
    edited October 12

Indoor maps are fun and also good for the game: less holding W because you can't see where the killer is coming from; good oportunities for mindgames and intercepting survivor due to the low visibility; stealth is more viable for killers, which benefits the weaker ones; slower map traversal for top-tier killers like Billy and Blight; and finally, more opportunities to counter the nurse, since it's easier to hide from her line of sight and mindgame her (I'm aware that Midwich and The Game are good for her because of the double floors, though). In other words, they mostly make high tier killers harder to play and low tier killers better.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,793

Well, friend, there are reasons why Old Léry's was and still is my favorite map in the game.

• Murgleïs
    Murgleïs Member Posts: 1,068
    edited October 12

Singularity and Sadako are the more balanced killers in the game giving survivors actually something pro active to do in order to win the game instead of sitting on gens.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,228
    edited October 12

1. SoloQ - in design as well as in theory - is perfectly fine. It's not the game which is the issue, but the players.

2. Players would be much more successful if they were to push through a trial, even after having been hooked within the first minute, instead of giving up. If I can win after having been the recipient of the first 2 hooks, then there's no reasonable excuse anyone else can't.

3. Disconnection penalties should be harsher, based upon the consistency a particular player disconnects.

4a. BHVR are doing a very good job at the game, although…

4b. ... the suicide on hook and giving up in game is easily enforceable, but my belief is they - for some reason - cannot be bothered dealing with it, due to how many tickets they'll get. This, I do believe is more about how many extra tickets they would get, rather than any desire to deal with it. Their arguments regarding this are flimsy at best.

5a. Perk design currently is becoming more uninspired, but I do not think it is down to a lack of ideas, but more a rush to get Chapters out there. They need to slow down, at least for 1 year, and focus on newer designs, or even experiment with existing perks to create new ideas. Despite this ...

5b. ... DBD does not need a "health Chapter". They need to have a more robust testing team and either more employees dedicated to that section, or an outside third party to analyse the coding they have. Even then though, it's much better than before.

6. Maybe not such a hot take, but DBD needs Eddie, Angela and a new Maria cosmetic for the Silent Hill Collection.

and finally, unrelated to DBD yet relevant in current horror gaming:

[Bonus 7]: The most realistic ending for Silent Hill 2 is **Leave**.

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,825
    1. Anon Mode was a mistake and is almost entirely pointless since you can either just private your Steam account or ignore people's messages
    2. Lerys and Hawkins are good maps and we should have more maps like them
    3. The community by and large has no idea what it's talking about, and BHVR make the right call when they don't listen to us more often then not

• Aceislife
    Aceislife Member Posts: 315

I gotta say that's a hot take for sure. Old Freddy was easily the most dogshit killer this game has ever seen in my opinion. He was a m1 killer, and he couldn't even hit people instantly when you found them. The only real "power" he had was his addons.

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 4,376

His power was in the info and slowdown you got, combined with his smaller TR made it very easy to ambush people from unexpected directions. Keeping people asleep let you keep on top of the game as well as giving you perfect info.

If you were advanced and knew the timings of the invisibility by heart, you could use that as a chase power. Think Sadako but better.

He was a very macro orientated killer that was weaker in chase than a lot of killers, and I think people struggled to adapt to his unique playstyle. However, I really don't think he was bad, I and a lot of other dedicated Freddy mains could make him very effective.

He was undeniably hard to pick up, though, which I think was the main contributor to his reputation. If you played him like just an M1 killer with a 7 second waiting time to hit someone, then you'd struggle a lot. He had a lot of different fundamentals than the rest of the killers.

• Aceislife
    edited October 12

The timing of the invisibility is exactly what made the survivors be able to get away without you getting a hit every single time. And without an addon, they could just wake themselves up with a failed skillcheck. There was no special, or "different" learning curve, because he was just a m1 killer, but far worse. His addons is what made his power, if I recall correctly, being asleep didn't even slow down gens or heals by default? Or maybe it did. But without the pink addon it was easy to wake yourself up. And if the survivor wasn't asleep you had to forget about ambushing them.

• ReverseVelocity

Being asleep gave a 50% action speed penalty to basically everything. Gens, heals, totems, gates, chests, the lot.

None of his Pink addons had anything to do with making it harder to wake up either. There was a Green, Yellow and Brown addon that reduced Skill Check chances while asleep however.

• Aceislife

Was the "not being able to wake up from skillchecks"- addon before or after the rework?

• ReverseVelocity

After.

If you weren't able to wake up from skill checks then if all 4 survivors were asleep there'd be genuinely no way to wake up. Alarm Clocks weren't a thing back then. It was either fail a skill check or find an awake survivor.

• Aceislife
    edited October 12

Yeah, I just thought about it, I think the addon I actually was thinking about was the one where all of the survivors would be asleep at the start.

• CrossTheSholf
    CrossTheSholf Member Posts: 250

Well, you'd be wrong. Half the current trending things are survivors whining about camping, tunneling, aura reading, and certain killers

• KA149108
    KA149108 Member Posts: 344
    edited October 13

Hot takes

Not every killer needs to be high tier.

I've you are releasing killers with fast traversal on the map and good loop shutdown then maps need to STOP being nerfed. I dont want to play in a shoebox with 4 viable pallets where 4 gens are right next to each other.

Stealth play is valid and if used properly can me getting safe rescues and doing gens.

I DESPISE nurse, her 'counterplay' is hoping she's new or messes up her blink which isn't counterplay at ALL!

Billy needs a cooldown on his chainsaw, I said what I said.

• 09SHARKBOSS
    09SHARKBOSS Member Posts: 1,323

agreed

communism good

(not really please dont take that seriously)

• Spirit_IsTheBest
    Spirit_IsTheBest Member Posts: 979
    edited October 14

My hot take: Distortion didn't need to be nerfed, instead they should've added more ways for it to be difficult to hide for a long period of time.