Proposed gen repair with camera lock/zoom

alma41
alma41 Member Posts: 38
edited September 2020 in Feedback and Suggestions

Not sure if this has ever been discussed, but curious what the overall balance of the game would look like if when repairing a gen, your camera was unable to move or maybe even zoomed in on the gen a bit.

Seems realistic to assume someone working on something needs to look what they are doing, and might give the killer base a slight buff to help with balance without having to change much in the code.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• AStupidMonkeyy
    AStupidMonkeyy Member Posts: 718
    edited June 2019

@SenzuDuck I would argue why the other is better but I just can't bring myself to ignore the horror when a survivor rotates their camera and see's Micheal in a window or next to a tree, just staring at them. I can't allow that to disappear. It's that jumpscare that I live for.

• ClogWench
    ClogWench Member Posts: 2,582

Survivors have way too much flexibility with the camera being in 3rd person. Though idk how much it would help the game health. Could just make things more annoying for less skilled players which isn't a great plan overall.

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

SWF could deal with that, solos would have a big problem. Therefore no, that's not a good idea.

• JESUS_CHRIST
    JESUS_CHRIST Member Posts: 313

Realism and good gameplay don't really go hand and hand.

• Nosplash
    Nosplash Member Posts: 77

That is a terrible idea. The whole point of survivors having a different pov than the killer is to be able to look the surrounding area as to avoid being immediately detected by killer. Your suggestion is a bit ridiculous to me. It would affect too much negatively the gameplay and not just a bit as you think.

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388

This is a terrible idea. With so many killers that can use stealth spirit, nurse, wraith, pig, myers, and ghostface.

• weirdkid5
    weirdkid5 Member Posts: 2,144

This is one time I won't support realism for gameplay.

It is stated that Survivors have heightened senses than regular people, which can explain the whole 3rd Person Camera in the first place.

They can literally sense the approaching presence of a Killer, but you have an issue with them looking around while repairing something? Lol ok

• xmenfanatic
    xmenfanatic Member Posts: 816

I like the idea of survivor heads turning in the direction they are look. Maybe when a survivor player is looking away from the generator, the survivor's skill check chances are higher or there is a smaller bar for succeeding when a check is activated. Something that allows the present freedom of the camera but also gives the killer clues as to where the survivor is looking while giving an extra stressor when making sure you're not being approached / snuck up on.

• michaelrandom27
    michaelrandom27 Member Posts: 100

What's next? Not allowing survivors to turn their camera in a chase? After all, we look straight forward when we run, so why wouldn't they? It's because that would not only get rid of their ability to mindgame, but also make the game unplayable as a survivor. Gameplay should always take priority over realism.

• darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790
    edited June 2019

Yes it's been discussed and rejected - all it would result in is easy killer games:

1) Survivors don't want to be locked into staring at a gen all game

2) It is bad enough being a loud stationary target for the killer to come get them, now they cannot even see them coming

And the only way I see a 1st person view for survivors would work is if the killer lost their 110-115 speed advantage over them.

• DenimChicken
    DenimChicken Member Posts: 114

Hell naw it would make it too easy for Daddy Myers to snatch me up 😵

• alma41
    alma41 Member Posts: 38

Just a discussion, no need to get all worked up, was curious if it was ever discussed and sounds like it was. Lot of sensitive opinions I understand and was just trying to gauge if really skilled survivor mains might welcome the challenge, that's all.

• arcnkd
    arcnkd Member Posts: 446

Won't ever happen because Survivor mains are sore about everything that adds power to the killer; and constantly bitching about generators being "boring" but turn around and vehemently oppose anything that forces them to have a secondary objective; or anything that interferes with their 'trolling' time with the killer.

This game will never, ever be logical or have any sort of mechanic that makes the killers actually powerful to play against.

• SleepyWillo
    SleepyWillo Member Posts: 2,197

They didnt seem worked up to me - their points seemed logical. As is, the player repairing the gen can look around with the camera while doing the repair skill checks. Why cant the character do the same?

I'm all for balance but this is taking a sledgehammer to the scales. It would make spine chill meta and make other perks, like premonition, useless.

• arcnkd

Lol funny when I rarely play killer because you can't play with your friends and make progress. I'm about 85% Survivor anymore by pure design.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,767

Out of curiosity why did you feel the need to revive a thread over a year old?

• arcnkd

Because it is still relevant in today's game - meaning, in the year (and in some cases two or three) the Devs haven't changed anything about the situation.

• GoodBoyKaru

And yet you added nothing to the discussion and just decided to bash on people who play survivor- nice generalisation btw- but claim it's still important? Maybe if you had actual points to make and not "haha survivor mains bad they go waa killers are so cool 8) ) it'd be different.

• arcnkd

As opposed to any of the bullshit that spews forth from Survivors mouths constantly about anything that would give the killer more power - as most of these comments about restrticting the completely bullshit and illogical camera spinning of Survivors. Here you are also - adding zero to the discussion too. So get off your little high horse too, comment police.

And what would I add anyway? Paragraphs of reasoning and explanation that the majority of dumbasses on these forums don't "have the time" to read and mark anything more than a sentence as TL;DR because they're lazy? I just took a page from Survivors - bash the other side and point out why it will never happen with their mentaltiy and attitude. And it wasn't just players - the Devs too.

You're only kidding yourself if you pretend Survivors don't do what I said also - complain that generators are boring, but give them anything that makes their job harder and give them any change that would give them another objective or anything, and the majority will come out of the woodwork to attack it and vehemently oppose it because they thrive on having as little to do as possible despite what they say.

And I "added" to the discussion - that it would never happen because of the Survivor playerbase. That is adding to the discussion the same way as saying "No" would be adding.

• ToxicMyers
    ToxicMyers Member Posts: 1,295

I don't know how many survivors you talked to because most of who I know want a different objective because holding m1 is boring

What do you mean

• arcnkd

Most want a different objective - then BHVR introduced Undying and incentivized doing totems; but Survivors hate being "forced" to do spend time looking for totems and doing them; and then turn around and saying Undying "punishes" them for doing their objective because it makes them have to watch their backs because of the aura reading.

And what I mean by rarely playing killer is - I prefer playing Killer (because they get Bloodpoints faster = faster leveling of my characters); but because I enjoy the game more with my irl friends I have to play Survivor more than not because killers cannot 'Kill Your Friends' and still earn bloodpoints and progress.

• ToxicMyers
    ToxicMyers Member Posts: 1,295

Your totem point I sorta agree with, yeah they want a second objective yet complain when ones implemented but technically totems aren't mandatory, hence why people don't like doing them, and against high tier killers could lose you the game if you work on totems when you need gens. That's not to say I'm excusing that behavior, just giving a reason. Really if they want to go with the totem direction they should make a totem counter, make kindred base kit, and then generally buff killers. And they should make totems mandatory to escape, maybe with each totem you break has a part you need to open the gate, you can collect the parts while all gens are done or none are done, meaning you can cleanse whenever. On your explanation to your first statement that made more sense, but I think the reason they didn't allow progress is due to farming but that's their issue not mine.

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

With Ghostface in the game? Lol no

• NursesBootie
    NursesBootie Member Posts: 2,159

Especially because "Spine Chill", a perk that's somewhat meta anyway, would become a requirement.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

I would rather see a camera zoom like M&A

While working on a gen the camera zooms in a bit and gain a repair bonus and easier skillchecks but lose it when you look away or get off the gen also gain the oblivious status effect for the first 10 or so seconds of gen repair

Limiting the survivors ability to look around would only cause more frustration between the player base

• GoodBoyKaru

Well if you want my reasoning against this:

-Ghostface exists.

• SimplyNotFun
    SimplyNotFun Member Posts: 70

no 😂 ruins the point of 3rd person. Not a lot about this game is realistic anyways. If that were the case then killers wouldn’t be running faster than survivors because a lot of them are human killers just like the survivors 😂😂😂😂

• SimplyNotFun

Dumb dumb dumb 🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵

• just_a_noob
    just_a_noob Member Posts: 247

It’s also realistic that if you know a killer is out to get you then you would be alert and looking around and not looking at 1 thing. 🤷‍♀️

• SimplyNotFun

Not really. It’s quite annoying that people are constantly trying to sneakily propose survivor nerfs to be incorporated into the game. They’re trying so hard. It’s already too easy

• GoodBoyKaru

This was from 2019

There have been copious other survivor nerfs/killer buffs since then.

The game isn't exactly balanced but its better than it has been before imo. However back when this thread was made, the game was a lot more survivor favoured.

• arcnkd

And "realistically" you can't focus on mechanical/electrical/whatever-the-hell engineering to repair a goddamn generator and see out the back of your damn skull either.

360-degree vision is absolute bullshit. At most, 270-degree in either left or right turn is more realistic and would provide the right amount of danger to repairing generators that they should have; and allow killers the ability to come up on Survivors in a blind spot - the way they should.

And someone else mentioned that next we'd ask for not being able to turn your head in a chase -- yes, realistically you would not be able to keep running in a directly straight line and be able to see directly behind you. Again, 270-degree with a blind spot is realistic. It's bad enough that the bullshit 3rd person perspective of Survivors lets them hide around corners and see around them in most cases. This game would be 100x more terrifying and 100x more balanced if both roles were in first-person; or is Survivors did not have 360-degree vision; but a modified field of view with a definite blind spot.

Seriously - these mechanics are just blatant safety nets and diapers for the Survivor role - one of the 500 second chances programmed into this damn game because Survivors are "too delicate" to play their numbers role and have to be the power role too in most cases than not.

The game may have changed - but it is not really anymore balanced than it was. Survivors are still babied, pampered, and favored - almost everything they cry about ends up nerfed down the line; while killers are constantly ignored time and time and time again when we ask for something on the Survivor end to be nerfed --- and when it is nerfed, it is never actually "nerfed" directly; but reworked so it is just as powerful but "performs differently, so it is different, shut up killlerrrsz'.

• arcnkd

Oh there's no sneakily about it. Survivors do need nerfs to several of their crutch/meta perks, items, and mechanics.

You're right - it's already too easy: the difference in stress and anxiety levels playing Survivor vs playing Killer are day and night by this point; and it is evident by the fact that queue times are still ridiculous because more people flock to Survivor and killers are quitting constantly.

• GoodBoyKaru

Please tell me you didn't just say that the game isn't more balanced than it ever was before when, *ahem*, infinities went, bloodlust exists, we have nurse and Spirit, vacuum windows and pallets went, pallets were nerfed twice, maps were shrunk, hawkins exists, bnps were nerfed twice, syringe went, beamer were nerfed twice, pick up animation increased, BT was nerfed, Exhaustion exists and was nerfed twice, etc etc.

Did these things need to be changed? Yes. Does it change the fact that these things were still nerfed and the game is significantly more balanced than it has been? No. Not at all.

• arcnkd

And in their place we have a slew of overpowered, broken, or underpowered perks that never get touched on because BHVR apparently has a crew of like 2 people that never have time to put out anything but cash-grab DLC's every 3 months; and rarely any rework/perk balancing or other minor update patches because anything major is always left for mid-chapter or chapters (a horrible patching style that other Devs follow too).

• GoodBoyKaru

Devs have confirmed they're working on perk changes for the next mid-chapter patch. Also if you think ds or unbreakable are op now I really want to see your reaction to their original forms. Same with when you could combine Sprint Burst and Balanced Landing and when they both had a cooldown of 40 seconds not Exhaustion.

• arcnkd

I am well aware the perks were beyond busted in the beginning -- but the mentality of "well they're not as busted now as they were back then; so that makes them better and okay now" is unhealthy for the game.

Devs can confirm perk changes all they want - but until I see them actually released changes to problem perks first, instead of changing perks that really could have gone without being adjusted; any promises from them are just... hollow. More times than not, their changes result in Killer perks being modified because "they aren't performing the way we wanted" (I can almost guarantee Undying will be changed because of the outcry); but the major Survivor perks that are constantly being called upon for changing will get ignored. As usual. Because of Dev fear (ie. spinelessness, incompetence, etc.) when it comes to touching the "meta" and "crutch" perks of a Survivor.

• GoodBoyKaru

If devs only listened to survivor outcry on perks why has NOED remained the same since Hag's introduction?

• arcnkd

Obviously you don't take every suggestion fo the side you want to favor - you have to leave some untouched so it doesn't blatantly look like bias and favortism.

One "example" doesn't excuse the Devs.

• GoodBoyKaru

If devs only listened to survivors why did all of this:

*ahem*, infinities went, bloodlust exists, we have nurse and Spirit, vacuum windows and pallets went, pallets were nerfed twice, maps were shrunk, hawkins exists, bnps were nerfed twice, syringe went, beamer were nerfed twice, pick up animation increased, BT was nerfed, Exhaustion exists and was nerfed twice, etc etc.

Get changed again?

• arcnkd

Does everyone here love riding BHVR's dicks and trying to excuse them for current imbalances by bringing up past changes they've done? They're not doing ######### now about anything and when they do, it's something Survivors complained about (recently: Pyramid Head Cage nerf because "waaaaah camping the cage"; here soon - bet, Undying will be changed because of Survivors constant whining about it); what they did in the past is irrelevant to that fact.

If the Devs really listened to killers lately - we'd have changes to Survivor meta and crutch perks that we've been asking about constantly. As it stands, BHVR is like the government -- trying to appease people by making changes everywhere but the areas that are constantly asked about.(Gen repair speeds; NOED; DS; BT; Adrenaline; Self-Care; Toolboxes; Keys; Moris; etc. etc.)

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

I like this idea make gen a little hard if they not looking at the gen.

but don't zoom the camera or lock it wont work because SoloQ