The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

How could we fix Decisive Strike without making it useless?

This is just what I think could be beneficial to Decisive Strike, and make it less oppressive in situations when killers can't do anything, like when someone is downed in an exit gate, but they have Decisive Strike, which the killer can't do anything about. Please send feedback, I greatly appreciate suggestions.

Decisive Strike will activate when you are pulled off the hook, this perk is activated for 40 seconds. This perk deactivates, if any survivor except for yourself is damaged in any way. Whenever you are picked up from the dying state, you will have to hit a skill check to escape. Decisive Strike will not activate if you are grabbed from an action, or from a locker. This would fix most of the situations in which Decisive Strike is uncounterable.

Another solution I've thought of is

Decisive Strike doesn't activate when you are grabbed from an action or a locker, Decisive Strike does not proc when the last generator is powered.

These are just thoughts to make Decisive Strike less oppressive, but to keep it's ability to punish tunnelling, not give survivors invincibility from being hooked for 60 seconds. Please, give your feedback, and suggest your ideas as well.

Thanks.

Comments

• SammyWasabi
    SammyWasabi Member Posts: 89

Thank you for the feedback it is greatly appreciated,

The main reason I wanted to make it damage a survivor, instead of hitting, is that it's fairly hard to hook someone fast enough and grab them when they are crawling to the exit gate. I still think it could avoid some problems, but I still feel like lockers and when you're in the exit gate with DS situations would continue to happen. Once again thank you for the feedback.

• yandere777
    yandere777 Member Posts: 728

If you are unhooked by another survivor it activates for 60 seconds. If you are healed to full health, take part in a completed gen or down from a protection hit the perk deactivates.

Like this theres still some cheese but there's also counterplay. Getting full healed will basically sorta counter its effectiveness at endgame if you have adrenaline proc off hook. A protection his is obvious, you aint being tunneled if you are literally protecting someone.

• Plu
    Plu Member Posts: 1,456

Reduce the timer and make it only deplete where far away from the killer.

Also make it deactivate once someone else is hooked so it can actually be anti tunnel and less bs

• SammyWasabi

Thank you for the feedback

I still feel like this would have locker and endgame problems, which I'm trying to fix and make it less oppressive. Once again thank you for the feedback.

• Andreyu44
    Andreyu44 Member Posts: 1,527
    edited December 2019

A perk that allows you to break free from the killer's shoulders shouldnt exist especially if its no risk.

• SammyWasabi

This could solve the issue, as you stated yes there would still be cheese, but my solution would still have cheese as well. I like your idea, giving it less synergy with adrenaline and heals could be nice, protections hits could also work very good as well. The completing a generator could also work well. I like the ideas you put forward. Thank you for the feedback.

• yandere777
    yandere777 Member Posts: 728

No problem. Just came up with it on the spot lol. I just didn't enjoy the no ds off of grabbing you proposed because it is a valid strat. If the killer is smart they will lunge in every non locker situation. If you gen grab a survivor with ds its your fault. Lockers suck yes, but it's okay because some sort of counter that survivors have against killers. Honestly i like when they locker dive, just means i can get rid of ds early on. If it's egc then i just ######### up all game lol.

• FancyMrB
    FancyMrB Member Posts: 1,250

Like a lot of people mention I would like to see DS get deactivated after a new person is hooked.

I would also like to add that DS deactivates when the survivor is healed a single health state.

• MysticAdvisor
    MysticAdvisor Member Posts: 453

Ds doesn’t need anything else just slug when in doubt.

Well I guess a good compromise would be to leave DS active until you heal to full health/ someone else is hooked.

• BunnyTheHutt
    BunnyTheHutt Member Posts: 1,773

Better solution is too simply have it end when someone else is hooked. That way it actually is meant too be anti tunneling and not a get out of jail free card.

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776

The locker tactic should definitely be fixed.

The issue I see with your proposal is that if the killer hits the unhooker as soon as the activation condition is triggered (let's say when the rescue animation ends), then DS would immediately be deactiveted.

I think DS is in a fine place where it is right now, barring the locker cheese. I agree that the gate situation is annoying, but if the gates are opened, then I know I effed up a long time before.

Maybe a possible adjustment is that DS activates only after a survivor hits second stage. That way, DS would become more of an anti tunnel for survivors who are on death hook and the killer isn't slowed down as much early game. Although, I don't think that would be a popular change.

Food for thoughts. Regardless, my main gripe is with the locker tactic, I don't have serious complaints otherwise.

• w_sohl
    w_sohl Member Posts: 124

It has risk, you lose wiggle time if you miss your skill check.

• TKTK
    TKTK Member Posts: 943
    edited December 2019

I personally don't like that you can't do anything to an unhooked person at EGC and the door is right there so they are immune to being killed unless a mori is in the game.

Then the obvious where you don't tunnel, you down and hook someone else and then down the person who got unhook just before again but eat a DS anyway even though you didn't tunnel.

It has dumb flaws that idk if it worth addressing them cause it would be a heavy nerf for the higher levels of play where people usually don't tunnel anyway and be like nothing ever happened for those that intentionally try to focus on one person.

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,494

Or you hook someone else and the ds user comes and unhooks them right in your face you smack them down pick them up and get DS so then you just lost both survivors by playing legitamately and the survivor playing in a dumb way.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,947
    edited December 2019

to be honest I have no problems with it if your picking up a guy That got unhooked 40 to 50 seconds ago you Just gotta suspect it

• TKTK

yeah I was trying to cover that in my second point on the dumb flaws it has, it's really stupid and frustrating. Just like old mettle of man it allows people to take advantage of a situation that should be considered bad play without the perk.

• supersonic853
    edited December 2019

Did you not see the twitch clip with otz the ds user literally unhooked infront of a leatherface and should be punished for it but no she gets the guy off the hook gets downed and is about to be put on basement hook but ds lets her go. Its really dumb especially when your also chasing a survivor and they jump in a locker forcing you into ds. Like it or not it needs to deactivate if you work on a gen or if someone else is hooked.

• supersonic853

She unhooked a survivor in the basment...infront of a leatherface...right next to a hook and wasnt punished for it because of a perk.

• supersonic853
    edited December 2019

And waste 60 seconds of valuable time to get one hook? Great and if more then one has it ill have to do that multiple times.

• MissBehavingX
    MissBehavingX Member Posts: 493

When I get DS I just deal with it and move on. It's not difficult to catch them again anyway.

• arslaN
    arslaN Member Posts: 1,936

He could have easily avoided that ds and getting slugged is still a punishment

• MissBehavingX
    MissBehavingX Member Posts: 493

How dare she unhooking in the presence of the mighty leatherface!

• MysticAdvisor
    MysticAdvisor Member Posts: 453

That would ruin it and make it a trash perk.

No one would use it if it deactivates after the gens are done.

• supersonic853

I could see the another survivor is hooked though since its a anti tunnel if another survivor is hooked your not being tunneled.

• TKTK

How is a killer to know a person has DS still when they unhook someone else? How people won't acknowledge that issue, I'll never know.

• arslaN
    arslaN Member Posts: 1,936

You act like everyone has ds. Survivors basically do the same thing with noed.

• supersonic853
    edited December 2019

Except as you get down a lot of survivors have ds so you pretty much have to down someone and wait for about 30 seconds if they were recently unhooked to avoid it thats 30 seconds of genwork and if i have to do that for every newly unhooked survivor im screwed. Noed is only during endgame killers have to worry about ds the whole game. Especially during endgame.

• TKTK
    edited December 2019

Yeah man, lets slug everyone cause there is a chance a minute hasn't passed since you hook the second or third person. Working as intended very anti-tunnel.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,428

This perk isn’t broken at all. So I don’t think it needs to be fixed.

The real problem is that many people see it as an anti tunnel perk. If it was an anti tunnel perk then it would deactivate the moment the killer didn’t come back to the hook. Which it doesn’t, because it is intended to work that way. You have access to other ways you can use it.

Also, since when do we need to “punish” tunneling when it is explicitly allowed? Especially when it can become part of a strategy. I never understood this one.

You can nitpick instances where you think it might be too strong but there are also instances where it’s not. If you’re being tunneled because you’re the last person hooked, why would the perk not shine in that instance? Gate spawns are very rng based as it is... so if that person stabbed you and got out, good for them. You probably tunneled them before they got hooked too.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467

Have DS deactivate when the Survivor interacts with something, the gates are powered, or when another Survivor is damaged.

• silverwolf4455
    silverwolf4455 Member Posts: 496

You can't possibly consider the protection hit a smart thing. They are so broken as long as the game thinks you are close enough to a hirt survivor and you get hit you get a protection hit. I have gotten them from across the map from anyone.

• silverwolf4455
    silverwolf4455 Member Posts: 496

The when another survivor is damaged in any way is a silly counter. Also deactivating when the last gen is completed? What? If this is about balance we can reduce the time from 60 seconds to 40 seconds.

If you are that worried, either tunnel early into the game to get rid of it or dont tunnel at all.

• Vetrathene
    Vetrathene Member Posts: 1,425

Just make it so it deactivates if you hook another survivor.