A (small) Nerf to Ruin, Arguably the most "OP" killer perk

Options
TheLegendDyl4n1
TheLegendDyl4n1 Member Posts: 1,493
edited December 2019 in Feedback and Suggestions

Now while i can say both Survivors and Killers have OP Perks and Add-ons, Ruin is one of the most OP killer perks in the game, DS was OP and was nerfed to be an Anti-Tunnel Perk, Brand-New Part was OP and was nerfed multiple times before it is where it is now and is still useful but not as much, and Insta-Heals were OP and they were "reworked" to be different add-ons which are still strong but not as much as instantly gaining a health level or two.

As a survivor who is rank 7 i can do ruin, but when i get matched with a rank 15 killer, and rank 13-20 survivors almost every game while i am not in a SWF, it gets annoying when i have teammates who run around looking for ruin instead of pushing through, now while i dont want a nerf to the perk, i want a nerf to the amount of time it takes to start progressing on the Generator again. Right now if you miss the great skill check and hit the good skill check on ruin it takes 3 seconds to start progressing again, IMO this should only happen when you miss a skill check and for ruin's case it should not stop the progress if you hit a good skill check.

The reason why people hate it is because when the progress is stopped you feel annoyed because you dont see progress being made. Maybe they should change it to where when you hit a good skill check on ruin it doesn't stop the progress, and then increase the amount of regression on the Generator from 3/4/5% to maybe 5/6/7 or 6/7/8, and for each person working on a gen it adds and extra 1/2/3 percent to the regression of hitting good skill checks, while it could be considered a "buff" this would help gens from being rushed by teaming up on gens, and this would help people to still "feel" like they are making progress.

i myself get annoyed when i see that progress bar not moving at all, but maybe with this change and a little tweaking, it could still be strong and less annoying to go against.

Thoughts?

Post edited by TheLegendDyl4n1 on

Comments

• TheLegendDyl4n1
    Options

to answer your question: no they just run around like an idiot with their head cut off.

Maybe they could also revise all Totem Placements on the maps and make them super hard to find, i find that some are harder to find then others like i will find one totem out in the open, while another hidden in a tiny corner.

• TheLegendDyl4n1
    Options

why not be more serious, im trying to have an actual discussion, im saying that the percentages could be tweaked so that its still as strong, but make it to where progression doesn't stop on a good skill check.

if i guessed correctly you just skimmed over the post and didn't actually read it slowly.

here i will make it easier to read.

• iamscumqueen101
    iamscumqueen101 Member Posts: 101
    Options

Doesn't need a nerf considering people can just stream snipe to see where it is and most of the time people spawn on it. A lot of people can hit great skill checks with ruin the idea to make it so good skill checks don't stutter the bar is op in itself sounds just like handholding for people who aren't good at skill checks. Ruin doesn't need a nerf and it isn't op...

Once you take out the totem it's gone unlike certain survivor perks that are constantly used *cough cough* dead hard. The only change ruin needs is better map placement...

• Acesthetiic
    Acesthetiic Member Posts: 1,077
    Options

My thoughts:

1. Please use paragraphs next time. The large, compacted piece of writing hurt my eyes 👁.
    2. I’d rather see a complete rework to Ruin and a slight nerf to gen speeds (nothing major) and/or decent nerf to toolboxes.
    3. I want map reworks to come into play where each side has a fair chance at winning, which Ruin wouldn’t have a fair place, (IMO. I don’t think Ruin is needed now, especially on fair maps, but on more survivor sided maps it can be extremely difficult and stressful. Reworking maps to be fair makes Ruin not needed and probably too strong. It would basically be a crutch.) thus, Ruin is reworked.
  • MathiaStef
    MathiaStef Member Posts: 132
    Options

No seriously you usually have to run ruin or you are screwed as a killer

• TheLegendDyl4n1
    Options

ok, im talking about making it less annoying to go against, still as strong, and asking for better totem placements, did you even read it all????

• ABannedCat
    ABannedCat Member Posts: 2,529
    Options

DS is not anti-tunnel, its anti-momentum like it always has been.

• LordRegal
    LordRegal Member Posts: 1,547
    Options

A removable perk doesn’t feel OP to me. None of the things you mentioned in your first post are removable by the killer. Ruin can be completely removed, making it useless for the rest of the game. One of a few reasons why I refuse to run it. It’s also completely counterable by hitting great skill checks - another thing your above mentions don’t have (a way to hit their trigger condition without actually being impacted by it). So, I’m inclined to say it’s not OP.

• TheLegendDyl4n1
    edited December 2019
    Options
  • TheLegendDyl4n1
    Options

no its anti-tunnel, it makes you want to go after the other survivors, maybe it should only be activated if your in a certain radius of the killer when saved? but this is for a different discussion.

• TheLegendDyl4n1
    edited December 2019
    Options

and thats your opinion but i feel if this game is going to survive for the next 10 years it needs more objectives that arent as hard to complete. i do not run ruin for the same reason when i play killer.

• iamscumqueen101
    Options

You wanted to nerf it and negate the skill check effect because you don't like the bar stopping for even a second 🙄 This honestly just seems like another one of those posts where someone wants something nerfed because they are having trouble themselves not because the perk actually needs a nerf.

This is the reason the game is in such a state because people don't know how to counter something and immediately declare it op then make posts asking for nerfs, everyone needs to leave the game balancing to people like tru3talent.

• LordRegal
    Options

That’s a completely different point than talking about ruin though.

As is if the perk was absolutely OP, I’d have it on all my killers and groan seeing the red skill check as a survivor. As is I don’t think it’s on any of my builds atm and my reaction to ruin is just “ok, got it.” Not OP as much as annoying, and I usually can trust someone else to find it while I grind out gens. Only hex perk I bother taking is DH since that one can really shake up the midgame if it’s not found immediately.

• ABannedCat
    ABannedCat Member Posts: 2,529
    Options

No, its not anti-tunnel. It can be used as anti-tunnel, but you could have done that with old DS as well, albeit a tad less effective. Its anti-momentun in the sense that it gives 60 seconds complete unvulnerability, no matter what you do, you get away with it for free. If the killer hooks 1 or 2 or even 3 people in the 60 seconds, or if the person with DS instantly hops on a generator, or unhooks someone right infront of the face of the killer doesn't matter, because DS gives the survivor a free escape and 1500 bloodpoints slapped ontop of it.

• LordRegal
    Options

I disagree with that last statement - we’d be seeing all the killers nerfed if Tru3 was in charge. Rather, I’d say we need to be constructive in feedback. Whining until the devs change things isn’t beneficial, being constructive about it is.

• TheLegendDyl4n1
    Options

omg, why not reply only if your going to have some sense, i say it feels annoying, and i personally can hit greats on ruin, but for lower ranks they run to find it because they feel annoyed, not because you can't push through it.

Also try not to use emojis if your trying to be serious, it just makes me not care about your opinions even more, i hate emojis if people are trying to be serious because my mother use to use them to guilt trip me, but other than that dont use them if your being serious.

• Hex_KillerMainBTW
    Hex_KillerMainBTW Member Posts: 447
    Options

Ah, that explains a lot then. I think it comes down to when they want to stop being so immersed or feel that ruin is going to make them lose. If one person looks while the others do gens, you should be fine. It comes down to experience though I believe

• TheLegendDyl4n1
    Options

well first, thats the ranking system fault for matching a good killer that can down people that fast due to newer survivors that dont know how to run the killer properly. and secondly im going to just leave it here, if you want to discuss then then private message me, other than that drop it please so my post doesn't get taken down for going off track like its happened in the past to me.

• iamscumqueen101
    Options

Average players and devs got the game to this point, tru3talent always seemed like the neutral party I say what further harm could he do that hasn't already been done.

• TheLegendDyl4n1
    Options

yeah at higher ranks, Ruin slows the game down (just a lil bit), but at low ranks (or when im high rank and this amazing rank system puts me with rank 20's) survivors find that when they hit the good skill check and progress is paused for 3 seconds that it's not worth their time when in fact it is, i would just think if it was reworked to still be as powerful, but this aspect is changed then it will help lower ranks, and people who stay on the gen but still find it annoying that it stops.

• iamscumqueen101
    Options

You can't just try to get a perk nerfed just because it annoys you 😒 every little tweak to the game is gonna have a big effect. As for low level players suck it up until they fix matchmaking and understand solo is unpredictable even high rank players can panic when ruin is in play.

• TheLegendDyl4n1
    Options

first, try not to use emojis when being serious, it just makes me annoyed and less respectful of you.

second, why do you think legion was reworked? to be less annoying. what about brand new part? or how about Instaheals? all of these things were changed because they annoyed a percentage of the games population that was significant enough that it required attention.

third, if im rank 7, the killer is rank 8, and all other survivors range from 13-20, what do you want me to do? everybody hates ruin because it is annoying, this would help to make it less annoying.

• Hex_KillerMainBTW
    Options
  • TheLegendDyl4n1
    Options
  • iamscumqueen101
    Options

Legion wasn't annoying he wasn't balanced so they balanced him in a way. 'everybody hates ruin' replies to this post say otherwise. It just seems you don't want to cleanse totems tell me what perks do you run for survivor and killer.

I run we'll make it, bond, kindred and leader for survivor and I have no problems with ruin.

Killer I run sb, whispers, iron grasp and tremors. I don't even use ruin and even I know it doesn't need a nerf.

If you have a problem with solo survivors then maybe you need more time in solo queues instead of swf if you were playing swf all this time it's gonna be drastically different.

• Hex_KillerMainBTW
    Options

Honestly though, if they could just change ruin so it just slowed the progression of gens by a percentage instead of regression and it wasn't stack-able by other gen slow down perks (thano, dying light) I think it'd make it better. Cause I will admit even having to tap a gen is a bit annoying. But it makes it almost as if ruin isn't there. And if you can hit great skill checks, then ruin is kind of useless

• TheLegendDyl4n1
    Options

ok well about the video, for the last time private message me if you want to debate that, second that was an instance that couldn't be controlled which happens maybe 1/20 games.

third, that may of been how you dealt with ruin but most dont so easily hit great skill checks and it takes a long time to learn, i proposed a way to make ruin less annoying to go against not to nerf it completely due to its progression loss, did you read my post?

• TheLegendDyl4n1
    Options

ok well first i play 99% of the time as solo so dont assume stuff you know nothing about.\

second, legion was annoying and unbalanced, you can say he wasn't annoying but that is your opinion and it is my opinion that your opinion is wrong. (private message me about this if you want to debate this)

• TheLegendDyl4n1
    Options

this could be a change i would accept with open arms, as long as great skill checks still offered no extra percentage as well.

• iamscumqueen101
    Options

'almost every game while i am not in a SWF' not assuming anything this statement literally says you play swf to a extent this your words is where I got my information. Stop asking for unnecessary nerfs because they're the reason why the game is so broken. Also you didn't say what perks you ran, I should note I don't use add-ons.

• TheLegendDyl4n1
    Options

ok well first, that statement is meant to say if im not in swf then i am placed with the wrong rank like it does.

second, the nerf isn't really nerf and would keep it still as strong, if again, you read all of my post.

and third, my perks dont matter and neither does yours, but since you asked so nicely and not like im required to, i usually run Self-Care, Sprint Burst, Kindred, and Borrowed Time (this is with owning every perk all at tier 3 on my P3 Nea). and i almost never use items unless they are required (for like the new challenegs) or for events to help me.

• TheLegendDyl4n1
    Options

then maybe 1/15, but really that exact situation doesn't happen every game unless your facing a rank with is too high for you, the ranking system needs a rework which is in the works.

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570
    Options

Hex perks are not op. (In fact no killer perk is op.)

If you get annoyed by random teammates searching for the totem, just cleanse it yourself. Bring a map/Small Game/etc. and it won't take long even if the totem spawn isn't as silly as it often is.

• PistolTimb
    PistolTimb Member Posts: 1,414
    Options

Imagine calling hex perks OP.

• TheLegendDyl4n1
    edited December 2019
    Options

well i didn't say hex perks were op i said Ruin was the only "op" perk in quotations which in the english language means it can be considered that to some people, and the suggestions you gave wont help the problem but add to the problem.

also if you read threw one of my comments i stated this: Maybe they could also revise all Totem Placements on the maps and make them super hard to find, i find that some are harder to find then others like i will find one totem out in the open, while another hidden in a tiny corner.

• TheLegendDyl4n1
    Options

imagine replying to a post with no facts, i didn't call hex perks OP i called ruin "OP" which in the english language means some people might think its OP or call it OP, it just depends on the person.

• TheLegendDyl4n1
    Options

going to bed, will reply to stuff in the morning (like 10 hours)

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570
    Options

I get that playing with inexperienced random teammates gets frustrating sometimes, but there is no way that game mechanics should get nerfed or buffed for rank 15s. If it gets too frustrating for you, either cleanse the totem yourself or play with SWF teammates.

• PistolTimb
    PistolTimb Member Posts: 1,414
    Options

Ruin can be gone before the killer can physically see it, and good survivors can hit hex skill checks making it essentially useless. Tell me again how it's OP. Decisive strike, dead hard and borrowed time are fair and balanced btw. Not OP in the slightest right? DS is easily just as strong as ruin if not stronger since the killer has no way to deactivate it.

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627
    Options

Just two notes ahead: 1) your title says nerf and OP perk, not "just a change, maybe even stronger" 2) Emojis are not unserious, just because of your own personal experience. They actually can replace the lack of emphasis of written text, you can lose a lot of meaning when not hearing a voice. I think it is a bit harsh to prohibit usage just because you dislike it.

To the topic. I really don't think Ruin is "the most OP" perk for killers. Just thinking of Pop. There are up to 8 hooks before the first survivor is out, which makes up to an additional 2 full gens that need to be finished. Ruin is never gonna reach that amount of regression, even if the whole team misses every great skillcheck.

And I also dislike the idea of making that perk super comfy for low ranks. This actually pushes players to train hitting the greats or they will learn about totem spots. If they don't, they will never get better. And if they don't wanna get better, they can still tap the gens.

I'm also not sure if people really hate it because of the progress not being seen. I'd rather assume it is about "I missed the great and get punished and the great is super hard so it will happen again and again" and not about the 2 seconds after that point. Would be an interesting poll to be honest. So while your suggestions would actually make the perk more comfy for your assumption, it could probably be even less comfy if my assumption is closer to the average, because the punishment is even bigger. Did you already do a poll I miss or how did you come to the assumption "The reason why people hate it is..."?

• bgbomb
    bgbomb Member Posts: 434
    Options

DS is a buff

• savevatznick
    savevatznick Member Posts: 651
    Options

you cam nerf ruin by hitting the skill check.

• FriendlyGuy
    FriendlyGuy Member Posts: 2,768
    Options

Srsly ruin is fine. DS is anti-momentum, not anti-tunnel btw.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,023
    Options

The only people that can private message you here are mods. No one else has that ability.

• Hex_KillerMainBTW
    Options

Yeah of course other wise it'd be a bit too broken. I had a game with purple rank people who just stopped doing gens to look for ruin. And I was the only one doing gens. Like come on, just do the gens. If you're at least in purple you shouldn't have as much problems or know how to just gen tap.

• Elvenmonk
    Elvenmonk Member Posts: 367
    Options

Ruin is only op if you can't hit skill checks and don't know totem spawns.

• cipherbay_
    cipherbay_ Member Posts: 379
    Options

Maps, Small Game, Detectives Hunch. Sense of searching. It's not hard to counter ruin.