Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Just a comment about the motivation behind the Ruin update

Comments

• Almo
    Almo Member, Dev Posts: 1,120

I've been in a few games where new Ruin stayed up the whole match (both PTB and internal tests). It has a humongous effect on the game if it remains. It's just too much power not to be a Hex.

One thing I think people are missing is they consider themselves, their gen, and the Killer. 1v1 it would not be that good. But when Ruin affects several gens at once because there are more than one Survivor, it's can be a huge amount of regression.

If the Survivors are three-genned, its effect is really nasty. No need to kick gens while pushing Survivors away from them.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772

OK but this doesnt change the fact that lower tier killers or prep time killers have been completely boned by this change. Sure, some bad/boosted killers would use it to camp and get against low rank survivors but this has completely destroyed any viability for killers like trapper, hag and leatherface

Also getting rid of the no gain on great skillchecks is ludicrous for red rank survivors

• Runcore
    Runcore Member Posts: 328

Ppl dont like it, just take this reworked Ruin and give us back old. Its incredible how stubborn you can be.

• EverflowingRiver
    EverflowingRiver Member Posts: 562

No one is saying ruin can't last til the end game, it just doesn't more often. Cherry picking a perfect scenario where the survivors 3 gen themselves doesn't change the fact that with new ruin they most likely got to that point in under 5-7 minutes. Even assuming there are only 2 survivors left at that point, one chase allows the other survivor to finish that gen up.

Overall I just don't see how this is a powerful perk considering it is unlikely to last long and really doesn't punish survivors not in a chase

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772

Exaclty. Why the hell is this an issue all of a sudden. Last I saw dbd was hitting new player peak counts on the regular and they weren't screaming "WONT SOMEONE THINK OF THE RANK 20 BABIES" back then.

• Eye66
    Eye66 Member Posts: 822

Perfect summary of the situation, agree with every word

• Eye66
    Eye66 Member Posts: 822

A bit of a fun fact, I bought ruin from the shrine my first week playing because I didn't know point efficiency yet

• TheBean
    TheBean Member Posts: 2,320

Did you know Last Year has about 50 people playing it. Have fun.

It doesn't affect those veteran players.... Veteran players probably don't care, since if they play both sides, which most veteran players do, they know both sides get nerf'ed. It isn't survivor vs killer when it comes to nerfs.

Also those veteran players who are high rank used to go on how ruin is destroyed so fast, or skilled survivors just burn through Ruin without taking out the totem, so it was pretty much useless in the terms of countering a gen rush.

So what is the issue?

I'd post my favourite meme at the moment, but I'll get some salty reports for it :P

So I'll put this one instead...

• TheBean
    edited January 2020

I'll give these a shot..

1. How is any different than now. High ranks have that issue as killer, ruin didn't prevent it.
    2. Perks for each side aren't a tit4tat situation. Ruin doesn't translate to DS and Borrow Time...In fact the 2 survivor perks you've mentioned have had changes several times over the years. How killer "mains" forget.
    3. I think the PTB was more about the Doctor changes. They did listen to feedback, as they probably are changing the cooldown from doing the blast to when you can hit.

• EverflowingRiver

1. Ruin was one of the main ways to slow gens down. This is common sense. I personally didn't like the perk when I played but there is a reason 45% of killers used it.

2. They relate in terms of devs logic. If you actually read their posts and mine you will see that. They claim ruin didn't require skill to use. My point is neither do several survivor perks. By their own logic they should be nerfed. And to a certain extent a "tit4tat" is necessary to maintain balance.

3. So they might make one adjustment to PTB doctor, color me unimpressed. You miss the fact that the doctor changes are insignificant compared to the ruin ones and the outrage around them.

• Thatbrownmonster
    Thatbrownmonster Member Posts: 1,640

And what will be done to help new killers?

Perks like adrenaline and DS are frustating to new killer

You can tell a new killer that he needs to learn how to adapt to this perks, by stopping gens and not tunneling survivors off the hook

But why should new killers adapt to frustating survivor perks, when new survivors won't adapt to killer perks?

• Almo
    Almo Member, Dev Posts: 1,120

Yes, the delay from Shock Therapy to a hit is going to be reduced for the release. It's way too long on PTB.

• underlord99
    underlord99 Member Posts: 1,030

Now do something about object of obsession or decisive strike if you want the game to be "healthier"

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246

I assume you were equally confident with the design of legion and mettle of man.

• TheBean

Actually the 3 gen strategy itself, isn't bannable.

It becomes bannable when no action is being taken on the killers side to push the game forward, as in just sitting on the gens not committing to any chases to finish the match. Equally problematic would be if the survivors decided to all sit on the other side of the map not trying to work on the gens. However I think this falls mostly on the killer, since they need to kill survivors to finish the match, where the survivors end up becoming helpless and give up.

Eventually someone has to do something.

• TheBean

Yeah but you can't sit there for an hour doing that. Sad fact.

After 20 minutes it is time to finish the match. If you couldn't get those survivors in the 20 minutes, sitting on those gens for another 20 minutes most likely won't change that.

• EverflowingRiver

I would gladly sit for an hour just to secure an extra kill or two at that point

• TheBean

Don't read too much into as this is only a game. I look at it like this...

If there are survivors are constantly trying to get one of those gens done, they most likely are trying and don't care how long it is taking. Eventually they get bolder and bolder, till they just give up and let you kill them. They don't want to waste 20 minutes getting the final gen.

If they go afk?... then why not just go over and kill them?

It isn't worth the time, no matter how badly you want the win.

Killers can bait the survivors over to work on a gen and try to catch them in the process.

Just finish the match and stop worrying about the little stuff.

• TheBean

Then hope a survivor doesn't start recording and then decides to report you for taking the match hostage.

This discussion has been closed.