The Stats don't perfectly show balance

CrowFoxy
CrowFoxy Member Posts: 1,310

If you think if killer sided simply due to the killrate, I'm almost certain that most of that percentage is because of low ranks. At low ranks, survivors get demolished very easily.

At higher ranks, killers tend to get gripped by the survivors and the killer (if not top tier) is vs a swf or good group may stand literally no chance.

Comments

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919
    edited November 2019

The thing about the stats they gave us is that its a mess of statistics from all platforms, merged into one. The only thing you can take for granted are the extremes (strongest/weakest) since its coherently the same across all platforms.

• arslaN
    arslaN Member Posts: 1,936

Sure.

• UlvenDagoth
    UlvenDagoth Member Posts: 3,535

Peanits Dev∙Community Manager › Dev, Community Manager Posts: 4,382

November 25 edited November 25

I feel like I really need to stress this line from that post:

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT NUMBERS ARE NOT EVERYTHING; THERE ARE A WHOLE BUNCH OF FACTORS THAT COULD INFLUENCE THESE NUMBERS.

To use the Spirit as an example, as we've mentioned many times before, we do not balance based on stats alone. We make sure to do our research first and there's a lot of compelling arguments for why she should have been changed.

And again, there's a bunch of different factors involved. Is Freddy overpowered, or is it just a combination of perks and add-ons that make him that strong? These are all things that need to be considered.

So just to reiterate one last time, I really would not recommend drawing any conclusions from these stats. These are averages, not specific and incredibly detailed data that you should draw any conclusions from.

• arslaN
    arslaN Member Posts: 1,936

I agree that stats don't necessarily show balance but the OP basically ignores the second graph entirely.

• Marcus
    Marcus Member Posts: 2,047
    edited November 2019

Devs confirmed that these stats don't represent a balance point in DbD.

Post edited by Marcus on
  • RWoodrow
    RWoodrow Member Posts: 270

The only things these stats prove is that the devs need to stop giving them out. Even when the devs say that the numbers "are not everything" and can "be influenced by a number of factors", too many people want to use the numbers to spin their own narcissistic narrative because the game isn't balanced to their specifications.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,936

Stats can never show the full story because there is so many other factors at play, such as perks, playstyles etc. That's why you cannot go on stats alone, sorry for those that think we should - but it just doesn't work like that.

• TKTK
    TKTK Member Posts: 943
    edited November 2019

The stats have console included, they balance for pc, idk why console stats are even in there.

• knell
    knell Member Posts: 595

@MandyTalk

Were you able to read the other thread where i tagged you about some particular questions? If you don't know, can you tag someone who can answer them? Basically i asked the following:

1. Can you define what types of matches constituted as being 'Red Ranks' matches? (e.g. - a.) All 5 players started the match in Red Ranks, b.) Killer started the match in Red Rank but not necessarily survivors, c.) All 4 survivors started in Red Ranks but not necessarily the killer, d.) at least 1 player started the match in Red Rank, e.) majority of the players (3/5) started the match in Red Ranks.)

2. Why were the Nurse's kill rate statistic only given for PC? Can you provide them for the other consoles?

• TheCrookedMan
    TheCrookedMan Member Posts: 282

People should stop saying this. There literally is no difference between console and PC in terms of balance. The only thing that is affected by this is the framerate drops that deter some console players from playing nurse, but that's literally it. And even then it can still be done. Like seriously, where did people get the idea that there is this huge difference between console and PC its pretty ridiculous.

• TheCrookedMan
    TheCrookedMan Member Posts: 282
    edited November 2019

I don't want to agree, because I find these stats interesting in terms of what everyone is picking. And I think it's a good idea to measure pick rate because it might be a measure of who's the most fun. However I'm going to HAVE to agree. The devs should probably stop handing them out. Otherwise we'll get post like this where people will be all "AHA! This PROVES that...."

And it's super annoying how people will outright ignore the devs saying "Do not draw any conclusions from this." But people will decide to make posts about it anyway. Like...stop...can we not do this? I'm so sick of these posts.

• CrowFoxy
    edited November 2019

Remember to play Killer so you have a 50/50 experience and your opinion actually matters.

I play tons of surv, hit red ranks on both every season.

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

Except that it's true that these kind of stats are not fully representative of the game's balance. There are way too many factors that influence these stats. It would be the same thing if survivor rate would be above 50%.

• UncannyLuck
    UncannyLuck Member Posts: 210

So are we all going to ignore that the Nurse's kill rate on the PC only graph is nearly identical to the mixed console/PC red rank graph?

I do also agree about not releasing stats. They're neat to look at but people are just going to keep their opinions even if the stats don't support it, because most people posting on here are statistically illiterate.

If you're aiming for an average of 50/50, and literally every killer in the game is significantly above that, then something *is* wrong. Could be a whole bunch of things (maybe it's too easy to rank up as survivor, maybe moris are used frequently).

• ad19970

Wait who is?

To be fair though these stats also show that multiple killers probably don't need any buffs. If kill rates get to high, that would mean survivors don't get to escape very often at all, reducing the motivation to play survivor. It also shows why we can't balance this game around perfectly organized 4 man swf's, and why increasing objective time at the moment without a plethora of other changes at the same time would ruin this game.

• Plu
    Plu Member Posts: 1,456

Theses stats would have more meaning of they were way more specific, like specifying the platform, SWF or not, perk builds/add-on/offerings used.

Just the map stats alone are pretty worthless because it's all ranks and all platforms.

• UncannyLuck

No they wouldn't. You'd just move the goal post again once very little changed.

They posted red rank nurse PC only kill rate and she's at 65.8%. If you look at the red rank graph, she's right around 65%. And that's on a killer that everyone acknowledges is harder to play on console than PC.

• Plu
    Plu Member Posts: 1,456

Yeah because 1 killer is enough to draw conclusions like this.

• LordRegal
    LordRegal Member Posts: 1,549

what I want to see from Nurse specifically is pick rate after rework, for a total of 3 months post rework. Her pick rate for the last 3 months is one of the lower ones, and the final graph doesn’t mention pick rate. Peanits said immediately post rework her pick rate went up as people tried the changes out, and that does make sense, but I want to know if, assuming no further changes, she’s still picked as often as she used to be come January. People are reporting seeing far fewer Nurses post rework, and I’m curious to see if that’s accurate or bias. I know my Nurse doesn’t show up anymore personally, since I don’t find her fun to play anymore, but I’m one player...I’m not indicative of the whole.

• ad19970

There's so much that goes into this. DC's, survivors suiciding on hooks, Moris, keys, afk killers, and in particular match making and ranking. It only takes one lesser skilled survivor to screw over the entire team.

• UncannyLuck

DCs aren't counted in these stats, per Peanits. Also per Peanits on last time these stats were done, DCs don't really change what they look like.

For the other stuff, that's what's nice about average over large data sets. Unless keys and moris are being run every game, they end up being noise that gets drowned out by the sheer volume of games played.

But uhh I guess continue trying to come up with reasons why the stats are wrong rather than just... considering you might be mistaken?

• ad19970

I'm not coming up with any reasons for why the stats are wrong, no. I just gave some reason as to why the stats aren't fully representative of the game's balance, pointing out what factors have an affect on these stats. I see no reason to ignore those.

Of course, Moris and keys have the least influence on these stats, but I don't think they should be ignored. Matchmaking and ranking obviously has the most influence on the stats.

Also, if you say dc's aren't counted, does that mean the entire match isn't counted? Since one survivor dcing or suiciding on hook often screws over the other three survivors and gets them killed, even though they would have had a chance to escape if that one survivor didn't rage quit.

• UncannyLuck

I believe that the entire match was discarded if there was a DC, according to Peanits. I don't know if they excluded suicide on hook.

• ad19970

That would be smart and make the stats at least a bit more representative of the game's balance.

• CrowFoxy
    edited November 2019

Thanks Peanits. For not immediately treating me like garbage and twisting my words. I'm so proud of this community. My red rank comment WASNT about the survival rate being lower.

Question, however. Are DCs included in the stats?

• NinoV1
    NinoV1 Member Posts: 382

Unfortunately it doesn’t take into account that when versing SWF, they usually get overly altruistic and get killed on their first hook saving a friend etc.

Do the stats show gen times and number of hooks etc? I’d like to see it in details, cause kills aren’t everything.

• Irisora
    Irisora Member Posts: 1,442
    edited November 2019

Nurse at 65% in red ranks.... suuuuuuuuuuuuree. Maybe if you play like a psicopath, toxic, and have nerves of steel. What a wonderful way to "enjoy" a game.

• knell
    knell Member Posts: 595

Can you answer these questions, @Peanits ?

1. Can you define what types of matches constituted as being 'Red Ranks' matches? (e.g. - a.) All 5 players started the match in Red Ranks, b.) Killer started the match in Red Rank but not necessarily survivors, c.) All 4 survivors started in Red Ranks but not necessarily the killer, d.) at least 1 player started the match in Red Rank, e.) majority of the players (3/5) started the match in Red Ranks.)

2. Why were the Nurse's kill rate statistic only given for PC? Can you provide them for the other consoles?

• LetsPlayTogether
    LetsPlayTogether Member Posts: 2,117

You obviously didnt looked up all the graphs if you say it due to lowranks.