Voice chat

So I wrote this request to behaviour support and they sent me here. You can discuss this topic with me and others and I hope developers will find voice chat useful. :)

My message to support:

I would like to ask, why there is no voice chat in this beautiful game? I know you think it might ruin the experience for survivors, but on the other hand, there are still survive with friends people that use discord or other communication tools so it would fair and better if there was a voice chat. Survivors could obviously disable the voice chat anytime if they didn't want to hear their teammates. I think it would really make the game more entertaining. It would also help decrease the gap between SwF and normal survivors.

Thanks for reading this :D

TapoGrill

Comments

• BeHasU
    BeHasU Member Posts: 830

No, voice chat between swf i can agree, but with the whole team? GOD NO. Before swf was added, you were supposed to communicate with people only with the 2 emotes and body language, now there is swf and it kinda ruin the experience. Why do you think there's no in-game chat? Just to add the voice chat and f*ck the whole point of the game.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

This has been discussed many times before. For now I'll just say that there are better ways to close the SWF/solo gap without ruining the game's atmosphere in the process.

• AnnoyedAtTheGame
    AnnoyedAtTheGame Member Posts: 539

When I first started the game I was against it. Now I'm 100% saying it needs a voice chat in the game. I die because the idiot team mates are running into death constantly.

When is voice chat going to be brought out on the PS4?

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,938

I have always been against voice chat and I always will be against voice chat!

What people don't realise to a large degree is that Europe has a lot of languages in it, so you want to penalise the people who are playing solo and are matched with people who don't speak the same language as them? Which will make the gap for solo survivors far worse than it is now.

• Mandy

@AnnoyedAtTheGame it's not. The same as for every single platform, if you wish to use voice chat, you will need to use an external programme - if you don't have in party chat on the PS4, you can still use Discord on your phone for example.

• AnnoyedAtTheGame

The main language in the world is English. I live in the UK and I don't mind being in with the EU because most of them speak English. I would rather have someone who can communicate a little bit than nothing.

• AnnoyedAtTheGame

So when I go into a lobby with 3 random survivors. I have one minute to start a party chat, find all 3 players and invite them to my party char on the PS4? All in 1 minute before the game starts?

Wait, wait, wat,,,,

You want to send all 3 people a message on PS4 asking them all to join my discord channel? All in 1 minute again?

How are you a mod?

• Mandy

@AnnoyedAtTheGame the whole point is that SWF is an option, if you want to talk to other survivors and they want to talk to you - there's already options available for you.

As for right now, there are no plans to introduce voice chat in DBD, and probably never will be.

• LetsPlayTogether
    LetsPlayTogether Member Posts: 2,117

If you ever had a voicechat in other games you would understand why a voicechat wouldnt be a good thing.

• Lazerboy88
    Lazerboy88 Member Posts: 517

I fail to see how it would ruin the atmosphere.. just turn off voice chat then?

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

If people can and will turn it off, that rather defeats the purpose of having it in the first place.

• XRuecian
    XRuecian Member Posts: 118

You know, i always thought it would be cool to have immersive voice chat. Where its directional/local, so you have to be close to your teammate in order for them to hear you whisper. And the killer might hear you talking, etc. But that just would never work, since the SWFs are just using discord anyways. Not to mention it would be used to ruin the atmosphere by toxic players rather than improve it. It's already bad enough just having to deal with toxic chat only in the end-game chat. Would be a miserable experience to have people on voice chat screaming and flaming each other.

• Bideaholic
    Bideaholic Member Posts: 8

They said back in 2016 on a dev stream, there would be no voice chat.

• Lazerboy88
    Lazerboy88 Member Posts: 517

Some will but some won’t, most team base games have voice chat I see no issues.. of course some people will turn it off but others may not. I fail to see any negative

• skypartan
    skypartan Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2020

I think making the voicechat part of the gameplay itself, instead of a external tool, would be a awesome addition. Having some kind of radio that players would use instead of toolboxes/healthkits allowing them to communicate at distance with others who have the radio, which could also be used by killers to track survivors by causing interference or "sensing the radio waves". Having the the player voice being heard by everyone near him, even without the radio would also be a great addition. Being able to properly communicate is a must for me, I've had multiple games ruined because of players not coordenating the actions.

• ThisGuuy83
    ThisGuuy83 Member Posts: 1,303
    edited March 2020

Why? So the game can be even EASIER for you? Chat is what's BS anyway. I'm sorry, but being able to relay every single step the killer makes, where or what gens are almost done, totem spawns,etc,etc to your teammate allll the way across the friggin map without the killer hearing it is HORSE #########! I wish they could disable chat PERIOD and make them play on actual SKILL.

• NullEXE
    NullEXE Member Posts: 1,632
    edited March 2020

You can't close the gap between Solo and SWF by any other means. Unless you plan to directly nerf mechanics to players that decide to play in a SWF like gen repair penalties, and/or restricting perks/perk slots. Which i'm pretty sure everyone can agree would make the game less fun to play, and then many players will leave for other aysymetrical games that they can play with their friends without being penalized for doing so.

The only way is to introduce voice chat, and then the game can be better balanced, and all around the experience in the game will become better for everyone when everyone has the same tools available to them and no one is playing with tremendous handicaps.

As far as the "atmosphere" of the game goes, I don't see many horror slasher films where the survivors are not engaging in conversation. There have been suggestions of a proximity chat, which to be fair would be a very fun idea especially for a game like Dead by Daylight, though it still wouldn't be as strong as SWF so solo would still be at a disadvantage. The gap would deffiently be smaller, but still a disadvantage none the less.

I'm sure many people realize this, but another thing most people realize is that English is a global language, and from what I can tell the majority of europeans speak it. Coming from the experience of playing video games popular in Europe, like PUBG, Overwatch, and CS:GO the majority speak and understand English as well. At the same time it's quite fun when I play with players who have a hard time with English, and then surprise them by speaking their native language, but that's a personal experience thing.

We also can't excuse how dedicated servers are supposed to work. There shouldn't be any reason for a player to connect to a European server if they are from the west, and at the same time there is no reason a player should be connecting to a Spanish server when they from like say Canada. Dedicated servers stop language barriers when used properly.

My bigger concern is game balance, and the fun for ALL players and not just solo survivor or SWF. This includes killers. Once the same tools are available to all survivors, then dev's can start to balance the game better, and that would make playing Killer fun to play too. Right now Killers are not having any fun - at all. Solo survivors are having some fun, and SWF is having all off the fun - while at the same time turning the game into a bully simulator. The game in it's current condition is going to kill itself when the next asymetrical games hit shelves - something BHVR should and could be doing better to be prepared for.

• Pok
    Pok Member Posts: 100

Strongly against it

• AnnoyedAtTheGame

Why should a SWF group automatically get an massive greater chance of winning each match than someone who is solo?

Why should the solo player be punished in this game because the devs refuse to add voice chat?

So people are saying SWF is allowed to communicate but a solo player is not allowed to communicate with other random players other than using point and come here emotion.

Make the game fair for all players not just SWF groups.

• AnnoyedAtTheGame

For the ones who complaining. Voice chat on systems have the option to mute players.