The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

"flashlight save" should not be a challenge since it's no longer possible

luvcraft
luvcraft Member Posts: 1,233
edited July 2020 in General Discussions

as the subject says, blinding the killer while he's carrying a survivor has been nerfed to the point that it's only possible with a purple flashlight with purple add-ons and a prevailing wind. There should not be a tome challenge to do this, and / or the mechanic should be reworked.

Post edited by luvcraft on

Comments

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,692

It's easy to do with even a yellow flashlight - You just need the scoring event to occur.

• WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,184

I thought blinding a killer during the hook animation was enough because they are considered carrying the survivor until the hooking actually finishes.

unless they changed that recently.

• luvcraft
    edited July 2020

I guess I need to find a tutorial.

I just watched this one, which says to start flashlight when the killer's hand is level with their head during pickup. Does that mean it's bad to start the flashlight earlier than that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs8dgxby27g

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

blinding killer is hard sometime but some survivors make it look easy can't tell you how many times i been blinded.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,735

Yeah, if you start earlier the blind will happen too soon.

Basically, what you want to happen is for the blind to occur the exact moment the animation ends but before the killer is able to move their camera. It's generally easier to do once you know the timing although it can be very easy to mess up- the best thing you can do is practice in KYF and if that doesn't work warn people in the pre-game lobby if you're on PC.

• luvcraft

too soon? Wow, that's terrible.

Flashlight should just have a skill check like every other item.

• azame
    azame Member Posts: 2,870

Since patch 1.8.3 all flashlight blind at 1.33 seconds there is literally no difference from purple to yellow. Also all addons that' increased blind speed are gone and are useless so only use batteries and filaments.

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,662

As @OniWantsUrLocation said, you don't actually need to time the flashlight save correctly. As soon as the pickup animation starts, blind the killer and the challenge will be completed. So you could follow a survivor in a chase with Sprint Burst and be ready to flash the killer during the pickup animation. That's all you need to do.

• luvcraft

oh! how did they break in 1.9.2?

• Venoxxie
    Venoxxie Member Posts: 300

Cute, but I wasn't farming. Found the flashlight in a chest during the match.

Nice that you have to assume all non purple flashlight without addons saves are just farming matches. It takes getting used to. One day you too can have flashlight skill.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,735

They removed any form of timing. If you got a pallet save or a flashlight blind at any point during the animation, the entire animation would play in full (bearing in mind this was also before the pick up speed change, when it still took over 3 seconds to pick up) and then the survivor would be freed. It was hellish to play and made survivor so incredibly easy provided your team had brain cells. It lead to the second real slugging meta, even though it only lasted a few days (AFAIK the first one was back when old DS first released).

It took no skill and it broke the game.

• APoipleTurtle
    APoipleTurtle Member Posts: 1,274

I don't think this is entirely accurate. While they did remove the "Insta Blind and friends" add-on modifiers, there is nothing in the patch notes to insinuate that all flashlights now have the same time-to-blind.

A friend and I went into a custom match to test blinding times (since to our knowledge no hard-stats for blind times exist anywhere in the game or its wiki) and found that the Purple flashlight was consistently blinding the killer about 15% faster than the Yellow flashlight. We had an average of 0.85 seconds vs an average of 1.07 seconds, respectively. The Purple flashlight also blinds for about 15% longer, but that part's in its description, so no surprise there.

I'll admit it's not a large amount of time saved and the purple light is shakier to aim (probably slowing down its blind times at range). However, we did find it consistently blinding just that little bit faster when simply across a dropped pallet from the killer. I'm sure the latency of public matches probably slows these numbers down a bit from our results, but it probably slows down all the flashlights an equivalent amount. That still leaves Purple to achieve an ever-so-slightly faster blind. Probably not a particularly important benefit to have (since you save like 0.15 seconds), but it's a distinction that seems to still exist.

• BubbaMain64
    BubbaMain64 Member Posts: 546

Are you kidding? Flashlights are easy to get. Put on Iron Will and Empathy and you're unstoppable.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677

Sounds like you aren't very good at flashlight saves. Just because there's 1 perk in the game to counter it doesn't mean it's unviable now lmao.

• luvcraft
  • voiceofguns27
    voiceofguns27 Member Posts: 80

Dude, I have two clips from today to prove your point invalid that they are no longer possible. Don't get me wrong, if a killer is good, they know to look at walls every single time when picking up a survivor. A good survivor would know to go out in the open to get downed to force the killer not to pick the survivor up. However, again, good killers will know this trick and look around for the flashlight save. I don't see many flashlight saves in general myself anymore. But, they still very much happen and is not impossible.

• luvcraft

my favorite part of trying to git gud with flashlight is running out of flashlight. :(

• luvcraft
    edited July 2020

well, I finally got the challenge on a technicality by blinding the killer as they were hooking a survivor, after depipping all the way down to rank 15.

Now let us never speak of flashlight saves again.

• hillbillyclaudmain69
    hillbillyclaudmain69 Member Posts: 1,528

Yea...If the killer hears you and isn't a ######### idiot, you aren't getting the save. All you'll be getting is slugged.

• hillbillyclaudmain69

The time to blind is always the same and you can use a default yellow with no add-ons. I would know. I always bring one as its my favorite item. If you can't get a blind, it can be 3 things. One, the killer has lightborn, two, no angle, and three, you're a dumbass and ######### up the timing. But what do I know? I only bring one every game...

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

If I remember correctly, most of those challenges are "blind the killer while they're carrying a survivor."

If you blind them while they're picking the survivor up, it gets the blind and they can't avoid them, but they don't drop them. Still counts though.

• azame
    azame Member Posts: 2,870

The testing must have been wrong because if the time to blind was 0.85 seconds you would have to blind significantly later. There are also recent videos showing the time to blind is the same. Also I dont know how the purple flashlight does more blind duration. I would like to see a video proof especially since blind speed has been removed entirely.

I'd also like to see video proof of your test because once again a 0.85 is near the old instant blind timing but like I said blind speed as been removed entirely. Another thing is the purple flashlight is not shakier to aim I thinks that's just you.

Watch that most recent flashlight tutorial because they haven't changed much.

Another one not as recent but also says the flashlights have the same blind speed ever since 2017 December.

• APoipleTurtle
    APoipleTurtle Member Posts: 1,274

Like I said this was done in custom games, which may have affected results. These averages came from the host/killer perspective, which seemed to get blinded slightly faster than what was physically indicated for survivors . We based tests on when killer heard the flashlight click until they got the "blinded" screen. This was also from literally across a dropped pallet (~1m away) with the survivor pre-aimed at the killers face, not ~5m away while running past trying for a flashlight save.

The Utility Flashlight itself has had no stat changes since it came out (it was just given a better description in 1.8.3).

For the other points, the Purple Flashlight's description literally includes that it "Moderately (15%) Increases Blindness Duration" and that it "Slightly (5%) Decreases Accuracy" (which is how steady a survivor is capable of holding it).

Regardless, they are all very small values with generally minimal effects on gameplay. We all know the only reason anyone uses the purple light over the other two is because it lasts 50% longer by default.

• Demonl3y
    Demonl3y Member Posts: 1,416

Flashlight rarity doesnt matter.

Not everything have to be easy.. besides that, once you get the hang of it, flashlight saves are pretty easy.

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506

It's really not hard. You just have to learn timing. You cant just hold it and expect a save.

I've gotten 4 or 5 on a legion trying to pick up THE SAME PERSON all game.

At some point these people on the forums need to start learning, practicing, and not quitting in tough scenarios instead of raging and complaining on the forums about why XYZ needs to go.

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

Wish this was a mandatory message everyone had to read before making a post.

• hillbillyclaudmain69

Accuracy for flashlights is like accuracy for nurse. It doesn't mean anything.

• ZarosNozara
    ZarosNozara Member Posts: 16
    edited July 2020

I have a clip of 4 flashlight blinds on carried survivors in one game. One of them worked, a second one worked but I had to blind the killer 2 times to get the player to drop. It's ridiculous, they keep trying to take away every fighting option a survivor has. The make killers that can ignore pallets, smaller maps, and now a huge nerf to flashlights. I wouldn't be surprised if they came for exhaustion perks next. They already nerfed balanced landing once.

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201

A flashlight save mini game in the lobby queue would be pretty great. Hell, I'll take pong at this point.

• I_am_the_Phoenix
    I_am_the_Phoenix Member Posts: 1

Not all killers will be using Lightborn, so the blinding the killer should still be possible. Best time to try it if you're not good at flashlight saves, would be to try blinding them when they go to break a pallet.

I've had numerous survivors pull that move on me.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,152

Unless it's blind multiple times in one match you can do the blinding challenges with firecracker.

• AbsolutelyAmel
    AbsolutelyAmel Member Posts: 146

People really understimate flashlight accuracy addons.

Especially on the purple flashlight as it has reduced accuracy

• DemogorgonMain
    DemogorgonMain Member Posts: 11

It's very possible. It's difficult, but it's possible. Unless they play Billy or have some Billy perks. But it's in the time, so it's possible enough that the devs know people can do it.

• Perfectsavage_13
    Perfectsavage_13 Member Posts: 23

No its possible, as a killer main I can confirm survivors can still do it even with a yellow flashlight. I can't do it because I suck at saves.

• Walker
    Walker Member Posts: 16

Someone must have already pointed this out to you, but there's -literally-, and I really mean literally, no difference in saving someone with a yellow flashlight with no add-ons and saving with a purple flashlight with any kind of add-ons. The timing is the same. You just have to practice it and get this timing down. The only difference is that the purple is gonna take longer to ran out, blind the killer for a little longer, and/or the beam is gonna reach a little farther.

Ans here's a good (and current) tutorial for you on how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9T_-zdXniQ

• Liruliniel
    Liruliniel Member Posts: 3,047

Nah flashlight saves are fine. I get them with base Yellow, Green, Event, and Purple ones I find in chest. Look up a few YT guides.

• FrostedX
    FrostedX Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2020

Why bother coming to the forum and making a garbage post like this? Just look up a tutorial and learn how to do it, man.

You can't state a definite statement like flashlight saves are impossible when in reality you just can't do it. You said it yourself that you are around rank 15, its not a secret that ranking up is extremely easy but being a low rank isn't a bad thing it just means you have more to learn and more room for mistakes.

You are not gonna get a flashlight blind running around as meg versus aware killers by walking up to them or turning around while theyre chasing you and beaming them down; use your flashlights at pallets breaks, vaults (risky), or during pickups where the killer is stuck in animation for all of them. Otherwise they will just look up / down and not get blinded.

Tomb challenges really are stupid though, some of them just endorse ######### gameplay like dwight the brave or moris.

• PlanetJuke420
    PlanetJuke420 Member Posts: 4

how do people still not know how to flashlight save, ive done a million of them... its literally so easy to master, obviously happens less at red ranks but still possible... “The King” on youtube made a good updated guide to it, aim at the eyes and hold down the button as soon as the weapon the killer is holding is moved up a bit

• electric_river
    electric_river Member Posts: 1

May I suggest actually trying to learn something and maybe practising before saying something is impossible.

I play both killer and survivor and as killer I frequently have people try to flashlight save someone. With flashlight saves it's important to understand that you are essentially giving the person your saving an extra chance which is incredibly powerful.

With flashlight saves there is a bit of counterplay as the survivor has to make sure that he is positioned correctly and times it well. It's fairly hard to learn but very powerful and adds a layer of skill to the game.

As a killer, there isn't that much you can do to prevent it. Your options are faking it to bait the saver or just slugging for a bit and chasing the saver away. You can also try to make sure to down people next to walls which you can face but that's more luck than skill in my opinion.

I believe although it sucks to be blinded while carrying someone I think as it stands it's in a pretty good spot.

• Facture
    Facture Member Posts: 284

Here is another tutorial you may want to check out, from 3 weeks ago. Just takes lots of practice, I've been playing 2 years and can count on 2 hands my total number of flashlight saves as a solo queue survivor, difficult but not impossible.

https://youtu.be/H9T_-zdXniQ

• GreenPufferFish
    GreenPufferFish Member Posts: 498
    edited July 2020

its prety easy to be honest maybe you havent learnt against hag it is diffuclut last match i got 2 flashlight saves

• killermainxd
    killermainxd Member Posts: 25

people like you are so pathetic, it's not impossible at all you're just garbage😂😂 shine it at his neck and get the timing right and you'll hit it every time

• kosmi
    kosmi Member Posts: 363

OH boy you don't know how wrong you are. There are survs that can blind you almost behind the wall how good they are.