Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

EAC on Steam Deck / Proton / Linux

Comments

• necrodos
    necrodos Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2022

hey Behaviour this is the proton page for Dead By Daylight, this is people who, on every update check to see if miraculously the game runs on linux, can you please make it so we can play dbd on linux? P L E A S E?

Post edited by Mandy on
  • nikodemo
    nikodemo Member Posts: 773
    edited February 2022

@necrodos seems mandy edited your post. my guess is we're not allowed to put links here. but yeah, it's protondb. anyone can google it. it looks like this:

we're all eagerly awaiting the day DbD's EAC allows Proton compatibility!

• nikodemo
    edited February 2022

Steam Deck about to release! Looking forward to the announcement about this implementation! Maybe in the Sadako Rising patch? Please oh please! XD

• nikodemo

@MandyTalk updated first post with more current links and information.

also note these instructions from Valve. very easy. please pass along.

from above site:

"Easy Anti-Cheat

• Proton supports Easy Anti-Cheat without requiring any recompilation, but it does require you to manually enable support for your build by following these steps in order:
      1. Go into the SDK Configuration settings menu on the EAC partner site and enable Linux as a client platform.
      2. Go into the Client Module Releases menu on the EAC partner site, choose the Unix platform, and activate a module. If you cannot find the Linux module in the status dashboards, please contact EAC support.
      3. Once that's done, download the EAC SDK and find the Linux library (\Client\Assets\Plugins\x86_64\libeasyanticheat.so) for the SDK version integrated with your game, rename it to easyanticheat_x64.so, and add it to your depot next to the Windows library (EasyAntiCheat_x64.dll).
      4. Lastly, on the Steamworks site, publish a new build of your game containing the new depot contents. (You don't have to make any changes to the game executable, just include the new files in the depot contents.)"

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,933

As I've said, please do not expect DbD to be on the launch of Steamdeck.

Thank you @nikodemo I appreciate that you gave that in good will, but our developers are very much aware of what they need to do.

I've been very clear throughout this thread, that this is not something that's going to happen at the launch of Steamdeck. When we're ready to announce DbD for Steamdeck we will do it on our social channels prior to that date. Please keep your eyes there for this happening, but please do not expect this to happen that soon.

• nikodemo

ok mandy, sounds good! thank you for your patience and all you do for us! i wait with eager anticipation. :D

• ptibedo
    ptibedo Member Posts: 6
    Proton has absolutely nothing to do with the steamDeck but anyway!
    Is it possible to play at least solo against bots on linux with proton?
    I planned to buy the game on Wednesday. I've been playing linux since 2013 
    when SteamOS Alchemist beta was released. I'm using Lubuntu now and waiting for steamos 3 "Holo" to come out in iso

• Mandy

There is no solo play on DbD against Bots - the closest thing to that is the tutorials or Custom Matches (commonly called Kill Your Friends). However, no you cannot play the game on Linux or Proton, it's only available on Windows 10 or 11.

• BubbaDredge
    BubbaDredge Member Posts: 815

I expect Steam Deck to be my platform of choice, so this is important to me as well.

• ptibedo
    Warphead, You dont need Steamdeck, is just a hardware. we need just BHVR accept the support Linux for EAC.
    The number of cheaters in this game. 
    I don't understand the point of anti-cheating in general. I hope the linux support will be fast, 
    I really want buy the game for test the trapper.

• ItsJesseFFS
    ItsJesseFFS Member Posts: 100

I can play on Linux though, with a little bit of manipulation to Wine & Proton.

• ptibedo
    edited March 2022

How, you did that ?! You can play multiplayer ? Can you give your manipulation and write on protondb and here.

Thank.

• hailxsatanxeveryxday
    hailxsatanxeveryxday Member Posts: 913

I am interested also.

I know that some people playing games like Genshin Impact can use some sort of hack to disable anti-cheat, but I'd imagine this is hard to do with EAC and would probably get you banned if you were caught (I know that launching Destiny 2 on Linux results in an instaban).

Currently, the best way to play on Linux is Stadia, which has cross-progression with Steam and also allows you to play on mobile (and it works a hell of a lot better than the official DBD mobile game, assuming you have a controller).

I deleted my Windows partition after support for Linux was announced last year, and I usually play DBD on Stadia in the meantime (all my other games work fine).

I won't make a whole new thread for this since we already have one, but how is support for Proton coming along?

My understanding is that even though Epic advertised transitioning to Linux support as being as easy as a push of a button, this was only true for people using the newer version of EAC that nobody other than them uses anyway, and migrating to that required rewriting large sections of the codebase, which made it very difficult to implement.

But this was widely regarded as a scummy move, and they reversed course after being called on it, which means that EAC Linux support should now be relatively easy for older versions of EAC.

• Mandy

As I have said, when we're ready to announce DbD on Steamdeck we will do that through our social media channels, until then there is no update I am afraid.

• yosoynacho
    yosoynacho Member Posts: 7

+1 i hope this is implemented soon, i will play other games until then.

• PapaMikey
    PapaMikey Member Posts: 35

it appears that behaviour has enabled support before the newest chapter because the EAC window loads, but they forgot to place the easyanticheat_x64.so in the game files. (or the anticheat was just updated) Not sure if it's true or not but knowing behaviour they probably forgot. So would yall please hurry? it takes two seconds.

For all of you wondering, it IS just as easy as a couple mouse clicks. My friend has a test game he implimented barebones EAC in his project, went to the sdk page, enabled the checkbox, placed easyanticheat_x64.so in the game directory and it works on linux. It is THAT easy

• Mandy

As I've said so many times now...when we are ready to launch the game on Steamdeck we will announce this. It is not a matter of a few clicks!

There will be no release of the game on Steamdeck without prior announcement so please pay attention to our social channels.

• Stephen304
    Stephen304 Member Posts: 27

Lets gooooooo! Looking forward to seeing the server side enabled :)

• Mandy

Whilst I adore your excitement please try to contain it - we've not announced anything yet, or given an ETA - I don't want people getting their hopes up about something and then getting demoralised when they realise there's a long wait for example.

As I've consistently said throughout this thread - please watch our social media channels where we will make announcements when things like DbD on Steamdeck will be launched, we've not given any sort of date yet.

• Vokhirion
    Vokhirion Member Posts: 6

Still doesn't work? When will you finish the project? What do you think?

• Mandy

The game is not out on Steamdeck yet, we will announce prior to that time.

• Stephen304
    Stephen304 Member Posts: 27

Tweet at them to enable multiplayer on steam deck :) My deck is in the mail so it couldn't happen soon enough. I simply can't hit skill checks when streaming from a windows pc due to the streaming lag. I'm literally buying an hdmi over ethernet adapter to try to get a lower latency connection so I can play since I don't have direct access to the only windows pc in the house. I would much rather spend that money on DBD content :/

• nikodemo

Yeah, I've finally deleted my windows partition. DbD was the last thing holding me back.

They're not ready yet, but it's in the pipe. Maybe for the anniversary.

• MBAdept
    MBAdept Member Posts: 14

It is only DBD in my library. But I just have about a dozen of games overall on steam. Would be awesome to be able to switch completely to Manjaro (or LMDE, have not decided yet).

• Rokolell
    Rokolell Member Posts: 25

Having this would be very cool.

• jomarocas
    jomarocas Member Posts: 11

im waiting with this release, but i dont what happens in linux stay update always, i cannot play in the steamdeck, is terrible, bad for BHVR for a simple update

• nikodemo

All in due time. We can check again this week, maybe they'll make a surprise announcement, but I'm looking mostly at the anniversary update as my bet. But I'd gladly take it sooner!

• Mandy

There is nothing with regards to Steam Deck in this weeks Mid Chapter Update.

• nikodemo

thanks for letting us know, Mandy!

• Lasuch
    Lasuch Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2022

Well NOTHING regarding steamdeck. I'm waiting for VHS and i will not waste time on this game anymore Bye

• Mandy

I did state earlier in the week that we're not at the point where we're launching DbD on Steam Deck yet - it will definitely be announced prior to its release. I'm sorry that you are disappointed that it's not available on Steam Deck at this time, however we have been very clear about this.

• ThePaint
    ThePaint Member Posts: 13

+1 for Linux Support!

• Dad_
    Dad_ Member Posts: 19

Maybe some SteamDeck news around the 6th anniversary update? 😁 The devs have to be close to enabling EAC for Linux. They added some of the files required for Linux a couple of updates back.

• Rokolell
    Rokolell Member Posts: 25

Guys don't overwhelm the DbD devs. This is not an easy thing to implement. /s 😉

• ScoobyDoo
    ScoobyDoo Member Posts: 20

Yeah, would be great! Otherwise, it's going to be the first anniversary that I'm going to miss.

But as long as the game comes to Linux, I'm willing to wait <3

• nikodemo

Yeah, Scooby, I'm with you. I'm waiting patiently, but if it's not announced for the anniversary, that's a non purchase for me until Proton support is enabled.

I've been playing on STADIA for now and I have to say, it's kind of rough. I don't recommend it. I can't take much more. XD

• Nuhamaru
    Nuhamaru Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2022

@Rokolell . It really is though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy about what the team is doing right now (meaning getting rid of cheaters, patching bugs and exploits, etc) and I'm fine with waiting for Linux support a bit longer, but saying it isn't an easy thing to implement, especially at the point to which they already implemented it is just wrong. They're quite literally just routing the download to a non working eac-content-distribution-network url. If that download is fixed, which really really shouldn't take long, their work would be done and the game would be playable.

And to be clear, fixing the download link can literally be done by Behaviour going on their Epic Online Services Developer Portal and putting a checkmark next to enable proton support and the link will work.

@nikodemo Is the game rough due to latency or smt else? Because it is notable that STADIA runs on Linux therefore dbd on STADIA runs in a windows container of a Linux System. My best guess is that eac isn't necessary or already patched for STADIA dbd since loading kernel cheats in STADIA would be fairly difficult to do.

• nikodemo

just latency stuff, with Stadia. otherwise it's fine.

• 20PercentRendered
    20PercentRendered Member Posts: 6

Enabling steam deck support isn't technically just one button, as you need to tweak controls and add touch screen support. However enabling linux support is just one button in the EAC settings panel.