Spirit Nerf may lead to a negative domino effect

Spirit_Hag
Spirit_Hag Member Posts: 168
edited November 2019 in General Discussions

So im hoping this doesnt turn into too hot of a debate, but i have seen quite a few threads on how op the spirit allegedly is and how the devs say shes 'overperforming'. First off, im a bit confused as to why 'over performing' is a bad thing. You designed a killer that performs their job well and thats........bad?

Secondly, if you nerf her to bridge the gap between them and the other killers....wont we be stuck with just a bunch of 'meh' killers that wont have a good chance to perform well at red ranks? Seems to me, since people are so sick of seeing her at red ranks, that the best thing to do would be to buff other killers powers to be more viable allowing for more variety at red rank. Then you'll see less spirit and people probably wont be so harsh on her because they wont see her as often.

Lastly, i feel if you nerf her and bring her down to the other killers, wont it affect red rank queue times? With the number of viable red rank killers dwindling, i potentially see killers playing until purple rank then switching to survivor instead of playing into red rank due to the difficulty level and strong red rank swf. And after spirit, whos next? Billy? Hag? When does it end?

In conclusion, i feel like nerfing spirit may seem like it solves one problem, but could create so many more in the long run. Bring other killers to more viable levels and that seems to be the better idea, in my opinion.

Whats yours?

Comments

• Spirit_Hag

thank you for the props man. i feel like thats what its going to have to happen in order for poeple to see our side. They have to see the effects it has before they see how this isnt a good idea. Problem is thats gonna take MONTHS :(

• Entity_Burger
    Entity_Burger Member Posts: 126

Maybe. But there's 4 Survivor purchases per Killer purchase for a full match, so don't hold your breath.

I mean, I'll gladly eat crow if the next Killer's power is in no way controlled by the Survivors. Unlike Plague, Ghostface, Demogorgon...

• Captain_Spaulding
    Captain_Spaulding Member Posts: 587

I used to think the game was perfectly balanced until they decided to start listening to survivors yet again. Now the game is going to ######### and following the EA standard with battlepasses and listening to the majority, I.E. Survivors.

Let it take as long as it takes to be honest. Let the game fall into decline. It needs it.

• Spirit_Hag

i would agree as the game was trash back then lol but that was when they first started and was still learning with little to no feedback and much smaller community. Now that they've grown, they should be able to see what the effects are of their actions

• UberMorpth
    UberMorpth Member Posts: 97

I mean the only last 2 times I can think of where bhvr absolutely messed up in terms of balance was old Legion and old Mettle of Man.

• YamiTheFurry
    YamiTheFurry Member Posts: 229

If Billy gets nerfed after Spirit Im actually done with this game.

• YamiTheFurry
    YamiTheFurry Member Posts: 229

Yea I made a comment on my post earlier about this, Im actually a little worried that they see a statistical outlier or overperformer as a bad thing kinda tells me they want all killers to be the same.

• Spirit_Hag

Im so glad that there are still people out there who are able to see from this perspective so thank you for this. Maybe one day it will click for the rest of the community

• dannyfrog87
    dannyfrog87 Member Posts: 568

i quit playing months ago with the lack of imbalance as killer and seems i did abandon it or ship at the right time ... the devs keep doing this killers will quit and wont want to play. no one wants to play a game as killer where its just a bully simulators and the killer to feel powerless. il say this keep going down this path devs well. you wont have a killer community left and you will kill dbd. people wont agree but thats my opinion. lol

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

I agree the need to buff weaker killers. Spirit is a more open question. I do feel a few small adjustments would be in order. And I do mean small. I don't particularly like her. But she is an interesting and unique killer. I'd hate for them to gut her.

• 2Khours
    2Khours Member Posts: 158

i adore spirit, and any nerf on her would make me mad, but yea instead of nerfing good killers will add more variety, meh killers is bad for the game, good killers is good, strong killers just a few, like spirit, but yea, buff weak killers, so strong killers aren't as annoying (to cry baby survivors)

• PoisonN
    PoisonN Member Posts: 624

Well, all I can say is: enjoy your favorite killer while you can. Any killer can be the next target by main survivors and Twitch streammers. Even when I play with Plague/Ghostface I got a lot of:

This is broken!

This is not fun!

This is too op!

Y'all know how It ends..

• PoisonN
    PoisonN Member Posts: 624

Huntress viable? Almost every map hurts her. I think Hag is so much better

• gantes
    gantes Member Posts: 1,611
    edited November 2019

Besides, this narrative that people complain about everything until it's nerfed is simply false. Nurse has been OP for ages, old Legion was unpleasant and as soon as people started learning how to properly play the Spirit she became omega unfun to play against. Only a minority complains about anything else.

Post edited by Inji on
  • VincentRedfield
    VincentRedfield Member Posts: 285

Survivors complaining a killer kills survivors too well is no different from killers saying a medkit ad on heals survivors too well or a survivors perk helps them survive too well.

• lynelmane
    lynelmane Member Posts: 549

I've never agreed more to a forum post.

The "problems" people find in the spirit aren't caused by her being too good - it's caused by the other killers being too weak. Clown is the best example I can think of for a killer who could be amazing, but is just too weak. Clown is too slow and has too many negative factors in his ability, otherwise he would be sickening to go against.

The dev team needs to give buffs and QoL changes to weaker killers instead of ruining stronger ones. I'm one of the lucky ones who on'y sees spirit 20% of the time, and even when I do see her I have fun (because I used to main her). I know the tricks to outplay her, and I wish others would be more open to learning.

I pray for spirit and hope she isn't gutted. Bring other killers up, do not push the spirit and "overperforming" (eyeroll) killers down.

• gantes

Even on the maps where she's at her worst she's still viable if you know what you're doing. Her ceiling is crazy high.

Hag is obviously better. But being worse than Hag isn't the end of the world, she's extremely good. Most underrated killer in the game imo.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467
    edited November 2019

Unfortunately, you're right. Survivors would lose their ######### if the weaker Killers were buffed instead of the stronger ones being nerfed. All they want to do is loop them for five gens. They don't care about getting good (that's what they expect Killers to do). Wouldn't be surprised if Hag, Freddy, and Billy get nerfed next because people are learning how to properly play them and Survivors struggle with looping for five gens.

• jeyers
    jeyers Member Posts: 275

She is not fun to play against, these coin flips sucks and takes away any player interaction in a match with Spirit in it.

Defending this broken concept of a killer is no good, broken killer "overperforming" (just a nice way of saying overpowered) needs to get toned down and adjusted.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

SWF is still much stronger than solo survivor, yes. However, even as 4 solo's the game is still vastly in the survivors favor bar a few odd exceptional scenarios.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,311

I wonder what the statistics actually are.

And "overperforming" isn't some sort of "we can't have killers that KILL in our game" nonsense. In data-driven balancing in many other games something as simple as a 60% winrate as opposed to a ~50% winrate might be considered an extreme and unacceptable case of overperforming. If the devs do have some sort of desired balancing goal and Spirit is above it by a significant margin the statement makes perfect sense.

Of course if they do want to pursue their desired number more seriously there's things like killer emblems in higher ranks that would have to be tweaked, regardless if they'd like 2k, 3k or anything else to be the average efficiency. And that's assuming the statistics handle stuff like disconnects and rank concerns in a sensible way that doesn't skew it horribly.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,164

But my point that the game can't be properly balanced between survivors and killers when such an imbalance between just survivors (solo vs swf) exists stands. Solo and swf should be on more equal footing, and then data can be collected to see where killers stand. Otherwise, if killers are nerfed first and then solos are buffed, it may throw the whole system out of whack again. Doing it in the proper order now would save them time, money, and headache later.

• smappdooda
    smappdooda Member Posts: 544

I want to see their hard data. I would love them to release monthly stats on what's being used, who is being used, and other details. They have done it so very randomly here and there but I think putting that info in the monthly dev streams would be beneficial to all of us understanding what is going on.

• gantes

Well, everything you said contradicts both my individual experience and every single piece of data the devs have, but OK have at it

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

Last night I got a message on PS4 that said “Plague is easy.” As in she is easy to play as and 4K.

Like yoooo...all you gotta do is spread out, rush generators, and loop her. She’s pretty helpless on a big map. She has no map control.

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

I absolutely agree. Huntress is crazy good if the player is good with her. Even if the map is Yamaoka or Ormond or another bad map for her, she’s still a viable killer.

I still do believe Plague is the most underrated though. At least most players know Hag and Huntress are great killers. People really sleep on how good Plague can be.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

I see what you're saying, but I think swf needs to be brought down, not solo's brought up. Having solo's brought to their level provides way too much information and ruins a lot of the games horror factor that you gain from the unknown of a solo game. Killers already need buffs now so if solo's were brought up to swf levels then killers would need massive buffs.