What is the game's biggest issue, right now?

I want to hear what people have to say about the game's health. Mainly from veteran players but new people too.

Answers

• Zenro
    Zenro Member Posts: 319

Matchmaking times/map design. 1st one for overall game health and the long times turns away new players to help the game grow and map design for more fair matches.

• KuromiStarwind
    KuromiStarwind Member Posts: 325
    edited February 2020

Rajang is really annoying, more specifically when he's Tempered. Imagine taking as long as you do to have to kill a monster that never stays still, can 1 shot you outta nowhere and

Wait, what forums am I on again. Oh. Well, the fun of the game in general just nosedived for me. I can't really name specific things, but killer just isn't fun and survivor became a bit boring. Fix map sizes, force more interactions with the killer, maybe you'd have a game that's more fun and interactive.

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

While I see many important issue being discussed frequently on the forums (all of which are valid) I feel there is one topic I rarely, if at all, see discussed.

I'm going to say the biggest issue with this game right now (from my viewpoint) is the miscommunication between Developers and community. One of the biggest things I see on this forums (aside from survivor vs killer toxic posts) are casual players vs competitive players. Because DBD seems to have no clear indication of what is considered a "win" and yet has only a ranked mode it creates a very awkward divide between these two core groups of players. Each views the game under a different light and has a mindset of balance that benefits their version of the game.

I understand that everyone can have their own personal "win" condition (like having fun or getting at least one kill) but a clear definition of an end goal is essential in a game that pits people against one another. If the game has a clear picture of a more casual goal of counting a win based on bloodpoints earned then people are less likely to feel frustrated by not getting kills/escapes. If the goal is more competitive and its "pips/rank" that define a win then casual players can accept not getting to higher ranks if they wish to simply have fun (or if there was a casual mode without ranks). Without this definition it leaves an odd game of tug of war with both player types fighting over what the game needs to better fulfill their preferred version.

Maybe I'm just rambling on but this to me is a core issue I don't see many people talking about directly and yet I think it would do wonders for player mindset if it was properly addressed. If the Developers plant that flag down and say "This is what we want from DBD" then all players can tailor ideas towards reaching that flag rather than fighting with one another to build their own goals.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

Probably because casual players get to keep their keys, moris, and custom games. Isn't that all they need?

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

ragequitting.

the other issues are balancing problems that can be fixed, but rgequitting will probaply never stop.

DC penalities are a good start, yet they'll just lead to hook suicides.

the problem here is, that a ragequitter ruins the entire game for everyone he is playing with. the survivors lose a player early on and both sides miss out on tons of potential BPs and Emblem points (the killer more than survivors though).

its in the players heads, its extremely toxic behavior and it throws a bad light on those who DC due to legit reasons (no, facecamping / tunneling are NOT a valid reason! im talking about cheaters, exploiters, gamebreaking bugs, a legit connection loss, etc. - not a hurt ego.)

• OrangeJack
    OrangeJack Member Posts: 464
    edited February 2020
  • NemesisDarking
    NemesisDarking Member Posts: 28

Definitely. I had a match earlier where 2 people DC'd within the first 30 seconds for no reason

• MegaWaffle

I'm a little confused on what your point is.

If you are reffereing to keys and moris as "casual" elements to the game then I sort of agree. I can say that I am not in favor of either item as it skips the core mechanics of gens/hook and really doesn't add anything positive to the experience of the match as a whole.

As for custom games I'm not sure you could really count that as a "un ranked mode" because you cannot have random people join and are forced to have/find friends to fill the spots. When I play DBD its 99% as a solo player so custom games just isn't an option for me. If the game had a game mode without a ranking system (just as an example, I'm really not sure the game has the playerbase for it right now) I would play a lot more gimmick builds and probably have more fun.

I hope I provided a reasonable response to your comment as I am still a little confused by its original intent.

• Waffleyumboy

I meant that casual players shouldn't want to win, they should want to have fun. A question I have is: "why isn't it fun?"

• PfoxandtheHound
    PfoxandtheHound Member Posts: 49

I would say map size. I personally can deal with being matched against any rank, but I'm sure there are others who don't have the skill or desire to with Meg Team Six when they are 6-10 ranks below them, however they are working on that now.

Honestly it's a lot better than it used to be imo. The real critical issue for me is who is making all these cool mori's for new killers but are neglecting these older killers who built this game with their own bear traps, hatchets, chainsaws and bells?

• MegaWaffle
    edited February 2020

That is a point I had hoped to hit on. The casual mindset of just having "fun" causes difficulty when the game only has a ranked mode. You may be playing for fun but the other three/two/one teammate you have is playing competitive. Now not only are you fighting to get that pip against the killer but also your teammates who are not helping you work towards an optimal outcome.

Then you have the other side, where you as a casual player simply want to have fun but you have players who are being "tray hard" and things become sort of stale for you. Maybe a teammate DCed yet the killer is still going for their pip (now even harder to get thanks to DC) and you feel the game is being taken way to seriously.

By forcing everyone into a single game mode these two playstyle clash against one another and often lead to a diminished experience. If you had a casual mode and a ranked mode then the people playing in both would mostly share a single goal. Casual people playing in ranked are either never going to get far or are going to all pretty much be focused on getting optimal matches with the understanding this is competitive. Ranked players kicking around in causal are most likely trying gimmick builds or taking a stress break.

I understand there will always be the players who have nothing better to do than ruin the experience of others but I still think this helps funnel everyone into a collective goal.

On the other scale if BHVR came out and said "Hey we want DBD to simply be a casual game of cat vs mouse with horror elements" then competitive players won't be as confused when they add questionable perks or change ones like Ruin that existed for a competitive means, because the Devs have clearly outlined what they want from the game.

Edit: Heading to bed so I likely won't have another response ready. Either way this is just my mindset and my ramblings. Enjoy your day!

• Divinitye9
    Divinitye9 Member Posts: 392

Map size and matchmaking are the largest issues at hand. Fixing those two things would go a very long way in this game.

• Almo
    Almo Member, Dev Posts: 1,120

Ruin did not "exist for a competitive means". It was just a perk like any other, and we didn't like the way it warped the game experience. So we changed it.

I can assure you it had nothing to do with how we felt about the game's level of competitiveness.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467

Tie between maps and matchmaking.

• ABannedCat
    ABannedCat Member Posts: 2,529

Dedicated servers.

• Exerlin
    Exerlin Member Posts: 1,352

The survivor perks that are both hidden until used, and remove a lot of the killer's pressure when used. This is mostly DS, but also Unbreakable. Losing a hook or some pressure because that specific survivor had one perk feels awful, and when it happens multiple times per game throughout multiple games, it sucks the fun out of the game. I spend every single game trying to work around DS and it's ######### annoying. I'd play much more killer if I didn't have to worry about that all the time.

• Nickeleye
    Nickeleye Member Posts: 278

Maps. You have to balance around them or it doesnt matter what you nerf, balance, re work...

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536
    edited February 2020

As survivor - Some killers are just not fun to play against. Not specifically OP before anyone complains but just really not fun and they make me want to stop playing the game. Legion and Ghostface in particular.

As killer - God loops. There’s little you can do and if its in the center of the map then everyone will run to it over and over again. All you can do is ignore the survivor really. Then it kind of forces your hand to play campy if you get a hook since you’ll start chasing another survivor and they will run for a 5 minute loop which is pointless so you just go back to the guy in the hook to draw them out. Not fun for anyone.

Also corn and yamoaka maps and blendettes.

• Waffleyumboy

Killers complain about too much risk. The problem is, killer should be less relaxing than survivor otherwise the 80/20 ratio would be impossible to maintain.

• Almo
    Almo Member, Dev Posts: 1,120
    edited February 2020

Read the three reasons given in the original dev post. Those are the main points. As always, there are a lot of other lower-level considerations invovled. The discussion around Ruin never mentions the RNG aspect of the old one, which was a major factor! :)

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

Bugs, console framerate and dedicated servers

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

You mean it’s actually far more powerful than people realize? And especially effective if you don’t just decide to tunnel one survivor all game and ignore the rest?

• Purple_Orc
    Purple_Orc Member Posts: 225

With how matchmaking is woking right now, how accurate do you think those statistics are?

I would think you can't balance the game properly with the rank 11 killers facing rank 1 survivors

• Biggs
    Biggs Member Posts: 286

yeah yeah sorry but your statistics which are saying that self care is what was it ? most used perk ? give me a break thanks...

everyone knows DS, BT, DH/SB is survivor combo for years so stop lying thanks..

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526

DS, BT, DH/SB are things you can see being used in game which will mean you will remember them, it's very obvious when these things are used, but someone who gets healed could be a medkit, another team mate, or self care, so of course you're more likely to remember/think/see these perks being used over Self-care

• Th3Nightmare
    Th3Nightmare Member Posts: 1,266
    • Maps Designs (size, so much structures..)
    • Early Game
    • Infinites (God Loops)
  • EleaticStranger
    EleaticStranger Member Posts: 81

Lobby wait times. Of course. There are other serious issues affecting gameplay, but none of those issues stop many people from playing. There is exactly one reason why so many people stop playing DbD or play it far less than they otherwise would: It takes too long to get into a match.

Fix this problem above all else. I know that it's related to matchmaking problems, but I don't think matchmaking could be much worse than it is now, so I'd throw everything into the effort to get matches started faster.

• Brucecastro81
    Brucecastro81 Member Posts: 1,609

Survivor queues: How can you balance an game if you can't even play it?

• darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790

Yeah it's maps - they all have issues.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

So many worthless killer addons that needs to be reworked. And killers that needs buffing.

Also I got Pig, Shape, Nightmare a long time ago, so why does the bloodweb still have offerings to try them out? They can't be avoided sometimes. We should be able to trade them for other random red addons, or get our BPs back.

• Thatbrownmonster
    Thatbrownmonster Member Posts: 1,640

Matchmaking

Whats the point of playing if you either get matched with potatos or gods?

I want a fair match, not to fell bullied or like a god