Decisive Strike | Changing it to be true anti-tunneling perk

AhoyWolf
AhoyWolf Member Posts: 4,096
edited September 2020 in Feedback and Suggestions

We all know that Decisive Strike is one of the most abuseable perks in the game, so I'm here to make it a true anti-tunnel perk.

Decisive Strike

Nerfs:

• Unhooking yourself no longer activates Decisive Strike.
  • Slightly reduced the Skill Check size.
  • Reduced the duration of Decisive Strike to 30 seconds from 40/50/60 seconds.
  • Recovering from the Dying State while Decisive Strike is active deactivates Decisive Strike.

Buffs:

• Decisive Strike goes 3x slower while in a chase or while in the Dying State.
  • Decisive Strike can now be used multiple times.
  • Decisive Strike no longer creates an Obsession at the start of the Trial.
  • Increased the stun duration to 5/6/7 seconds from 5 seconds.

Unhooking yourself no longer activates Decisive Strike.

Reason for this change is to remove some synergy between other second chance perks.

Slightly reduced the Skill Check size.

Since with this change Decisive Strike can be used multiple times, slightly reducing the Skill Check size and making it a bit harder doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Reduced the duration of Decisive Strike to 30 seconds from 40/50/60 seconds.

If not being tunneled there is no reason for Decisive Strike to last a whole minute.

Recovering from the Dying State while Decisive Strike is active deactivates Decisive Strike.

This change is done to remove synergy with some second chance perks, like Unbreakable, just to be clear, if your teammate picks you up from the Dying State it deactivates Decisive Strike aswell.

Decisive Strike goes 3x slower while in a chase or while in the Dying State.

If you're being tunneled, Decisive Strike goes 3x slower to give you some time and to waste some of the Killer's time, so if you're being tunneled right of the hook, the Decisive Strike will most likely last for 90 seconds.

Decisive Strike can now be used multiple times.

You can be tunneled after every hook, so to be true anti-tunneling perk this will prevent the Killer to tunnel you again.

Decisive Strike no longer creates an Obsession at the start of the Trial.

Very simple reason for this change, when there is no Obsession in the Trial, the Killer will most likely tunnel, also just to be clear, you will become the Obsession after using Decisive Strike.

Increased the stun duration to 5/6/7 seconds from 5 seconds.

To give Survivors more time to escape when being tunneled to death and to punish tunneling Killers.

Post edited by Mandy on

Comments

• YehBoiGoku
    YehBoiGoku Member Posts: 248
    edited September 2020

So if unhooking no longer activates it, how does it activate?

• AhoyWolf

It only activates if a teammate unhooks you, not if you unhook youself.

• YehBoiGoku

that sounds pretty useless ngl. I mean who even uses deliverance. This sounds way too situational honestly. The recovering from dying state part is also very situational. Please tell me how would you change some of the killers meta perks?

• AhoyWolf

That sounds more like a problem of the chase mechanic itself.

• YehBoiGoku

Totally agree, if it were no skill check it would be such a non skill perk that every rank 20-8 would run that shite. At point you wouldn't even call it an anti tunnel perk with that slug mechanic OP mentioned.

• MegHasCuteFeet
    MegHasCuteFeet Member Posts: 369

This sounds more broken than before lmfao.

• FFabeq
    FFabeq Member Posts: 530

YOU do know that combos exist right? like the enduring + spirit fury or noed + blood warden combos that arent neither fun or balanced

• BigBrainMegMain
    BigBrainMegMain Member Posts: 3,826

You mean killers don't have perks that can halt survivor's ability to do gens?

DS is meant to put a small halt to the killer's objective, or do you want me to list the perks that killers have in their disposal to stop survivors doing gens and list the perks that survivors have to stop killers from doing their objective again?

Corrupt, Pop, Thrilling Ruin+Undying, etc, etc.

Vs.

Decisive Strike.

• EqMonkVeeshan
    EqMonkVeeshan Member Posts: 416

lets make it so instead of getting off the killers shoulder by landing it you remove 50% of the killers earned bps during that match at that time?

• EqMonkVeeshan

DS has a direct counter its called slugging its part of a killers base kit. to claim otherwise is absurd.

• Which a survivor loops the killer for 60 seconds or the killer downs them and waits 60 seconds, currently. Ds wears off, the killer has been targeting them since they were unhooked. The survivor still got tunnel and ds did jack. So this issue you brought up, is the same with current ds. Only it happens to waste more of the killers time currently. The survivor still got tunnel in both cases, their ds failed to do anything. The only difference is one wasted more time than the other.

• YehBoiGoku
    edited September 2020

Ight I think we can all agree that this game has serious balance issues.

It shouldn't be any of us telling devs what to do because they should have done that themselves. The only exception is ptb and actual bugs and other things like glitches etc.

• EqMonkVeeshan

DS can easily be avoid if you slug them and wait the timer out.......

• YehBoiGoku

The grind is hard enough as it is man. Imagine being new and grinding killer for bps only to figure out that the grind for perks is already hard enough as it is but then ds cuts a bit of the bloodpoints you worked for.

• EqMonkVeeshan

this is the only kind of penalty that would make killers fear tunneling some one.

• Justalittlepeeck
    Justalittlepeeck Member Posts: 1,101

Almost none of DS issues (like forcegrab abuse or locker combo) isn't addressed and you've also added a mechanic that could easily be exploited, nah, I'll pass.

• Well there is also counters to slugging lets not forget. Unbreakable, soul guard if a hex totem is up. So it really depends on the perks the survivors have. While soul guard is a dlc. Unbreakable, is free to pcs players at least. Since Bill is free. That and players who play killers are still going to get label evil for slugging.

So a killer is new, they only know their objective is to kill survivors. So they think tunneling is a good idea to get someone out quickly. Than they get hit by ds. Than lose half their blood points for no real reason. Like this game barely explain things as it is. With you having to figure most of this stuff out by yourself or going online to figure things out. Now you want to add even more confuse? Sorry but this is a bad idea and will drive off new players. It's to harsh of a punishment. When ds already stuns the killer and denies them pressure by denying them a hook and making it so other survivors can keep on working on gens. Which is how it punishes the killer, when it used at the right moment to deny a killer pressure when they need it most.

that and to quote another post of yours. "this is the only kind of penalty that would make killers fear tunneling some one." Alot of people play both sides. Sometimes they get hit by ds due to wanting to slug but the game forces a grab on them. Now due to factors outside their own control, they are getting punished with blood point lose. That and why the in group out group mind set? They are not a killer, they are a player like everyone else. That and some killers players can choose to play, can snowball really quickly like Myers or Oni, if things go ideally for them. Oni can slug everyone in a single use of their power. Picks up the wrong survivor, due to looking alike or thinking the game is over and there is nothing to worry about, get hit by ds and than that survivor goes and picks up someone else, dragging the game out or possibly saving the survivor team from defeat and pull victory from the jaws of defeat. Depending on the pallets still up, the loops still up. Not only that but also due to snowballing and doing really well by making good use of their power and happen to make a error of picking up the wrong survivor or not waiting 60 seconds due to wanting to get the game overwith and move onto the next match already, they get punished with blood point lost.

That and why is something that is not against the rules mind you, there is nothing against tunneling or camping is now going to be punished by blood point lost and only killers suffer from a blood point lost but everything survivors can do is fine? That and many skilled players who are well known for playing killer out there, try to avoid tunneling for they know it's a bad idea, due to ds. The only times you might see them tunnel or camp is when they need to get someone out of game quickly, in order to snowball and turn things back around in their favor to possibly win the game, since gens were done quickly, since a killer really starts to snowball once a survivor dies or it's end game, where a killer legit has no where else to go beside staying near their hook in hopes of ensuring one more kill or possibly more if the survivors try to save the hook person rather than escaping. Which getting back to ds, for ds means the chase vs that certain survivor is now longer, giving possibly three other survivors on gens more time to get their objective done and if they are spread out, they can get done very quickly. That and if the survivor has alot of pallets to work with or knows how to loop really well, can waste even more of the killers time. If the killer doesn't drop chase and go after someone else, which is what a experience player would do if a certain chase is taking to long [unless again they really need a kill to shift the tides in their favor], drop it and go else where. For ds used at the right moments can turn a game around. Which is why ds is best saved for late game, since it can expand the chase long enough to get a final gen done, it lead to ds near the exit gates, allowing a survivor who would normally die to escape. Ds if it is meant for anti tunneling and sticking with that for now. It already does it's job at punishing tunneling and snowballing to quickly.

Which this is a video game. At the end of the day both sides will do what logically benefits them to try and win. This is a pvp game. Killers are going to kill survivors, survivors are going to loop the killer and try to get gens done. Be it running four slow downs as killer or a survivor running all the perks they can to counter as many things as possible a killer can do. You might find something a bit dishonorable or scummy, yet at the end of the day. If it's not against the game rules, you can take issue with it being unbalance, broken, op, buggy, poor gameplay design but you finding it distaste is subjective. For here a funny thing about camping and tunneling by the killer? Focus on doing gens. For if they are focusing purely on one survivor, that leaves three of you to hold m1 and get all the gens done. There is only 5 gens to get done. If the one survivor can put a decent enough chase, you can easily plow through the gens by spreading out and focusing them down. Which is how you can punish a killer who camps and tunnels, hold m1 and do your only objective, to make sure the person being chase, camp or tunnel, is not having all of their efforts be for nothing, rather than watching them slowly die on a hook as the killer stares at them. If all gens are done, you can just get out and escape, to deny the killer as many kills as possible rather than feeding them more kills.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Stunned for 7 seconds?

As long as that's in there, my bias against being stunned in videogames cannot say yes.

• Thasard
    Thasard Member Posts: 268

This is why killer mains aren't asked to help work on survivor perks.

• OtakuFreak
    OtakuFreak Member Posts: 206

I like this!

It makes it so Decisive Strike becomes more powerful , but only in the context of the killer tunnelling you, but flips it, so the perk becomes weaker when you aren't being tunnelled.

It'll never be implemented though, because DS would no longer be abuse-able, which is sadly what some survivors find fun about it.

Some do not use it for the anti-tunnelling capabilities it brings, but rather to troll and annoy the killer.

• C_Frank
    C_Frank Member Posts: 179

Ds only need to 2 time activation and deactivate when survivor make and action like unhook gen repair heal totem clean open exit gate search in chest.

• OtakuFreak
    OtakuFreak Member Posts: 206

LOL?

Please tell me what combination of perks give killers free kills

Because survivors sure do get LOTS of perks that give them second-chances and invulnerability to getting killed.

• azame
    azame Member Posts: 2,870

What I was thinking but that doesnt work you have to moonwalk. Other than that yeah it's a free tunnel which everyone overlooks when they think of a chase mechanic

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

Freddy. Freddy with BBQ, PGTW, NOED, just to name a few.

Ruin. Played a Freddy with tinkerer recently and nobody could get anything done because he was awarded for the other side doing the objective. It was the most unbalanced situation I ever seen.

• MusicNerd_TC
    MusicNerd_TC Member Posts: 3,099

BBQ has been touched, remember when they introduced the mechanic of hiding in a locker to avoid it?

• Acromio
    Acromio Member Posts: 1,737
    edited September 2020

What about simply obliterating the perk and not punishing killers for playing their objective efficiently? Crazy, I know.

• Sluzzy

That means stopping the objective. And most maps lockers are far away so that means most of the time it is a huge detriment. BBQ has way too much power in that regard. No survivor perk has that much power throughout the entire match.

• BaldursGate2
    BaldursGate2 Member Posts: 994

Yeah, imagine 4 survivor would have as much power as one killer. Who is gonna win then lol.

• Sluzzy

A very coordinated genrush shouldn't be required to beat Freddy and others like him. But it is required and that is unbalanced. I actually wager a lot of coordinated SWFs lose to him and to a lot of perks killers use.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564
    edited September 2020

To be honest I feel like your idea has a few problems mate. Here's some of the reasons why:

• DS and lockers are the only true counters to moris. Lowering it by 30 seconds just makes grabbing a survivor out of the locker easier.
    • Not keeping DS after getting up off the ground gives the killer a massive advantage. They stand near you waiting for you to get up then immediately down you and hook you.
    • Some of the nerfs feel kind of weird. Don't see why you shouldn't have DS when you kobe or deliverance.
    • Having no obsession to start the game is ok. I'd rather instead though that the game always spawns an obsession.

While reading this though another thought about a DS change came to my head but I need a minute or so to think is it good or broken.

• AhoyWolf
    1. I lowered the timer because if you're not being tunneled there is no reason to keep it so long, also I wanted to remove instances where you hook a Survivor, meanwhile he gets unhooked, hook another two Survivors and then find the previous one and still get Decisive Striked because the timer was just too long, however if you're being tunneled the timer goes 3x slower.
    2. I did this because of the "unfair" (Or at least I think that) synergy between Unbreakable and Decisive Strike, also the timer goes 3x slower while in the Dying State, so the Killer would need to stand there for a while.
    3. I wanted to reduce the synergy between Decisive Strike and some other second chance perks, but maybe this one isn't needed.
    4. Yea, probably would be a better idea.

Sure, take your time. :)

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

My idea for a DS change is completely different to your change. I'm just messaging my mates to see if they see an obvious counter to it or something that can be abused.

• BaldursGate2
    BaldursGate2 Member Posts: 994

Freddy is a M1 Killer and can be beaten like any other killer, you just need more effort and skill to do it.

And killers or people in general, tend to play scummy when they think the game is unfair. I bet, less killer would consider tunnel / camping / mori when they know, the meta would not be mostly 2nd chance perks that drains the fun out of the games.