Tunneling isn't 'Skill'

Options

*I'm re-making this post due to my point being unclear as such. *

Ive played against many tunnelers, as I'm sure most of you have aswell, and alot of them seem to think it's some sort of 'Skill'. I've even had people message me saying 'It's called being skilled' and many similar messages.

Now Im not saying you shouldn't tunnel, because I cant control you can I? But I don't know which part of hitting the same person over and over again has skill.

Skill is something you are good at and it can be learned from other people. However it's not unique to be able to hit the same person again...everyone can do it...It isn't some sort of mastery.

I believe tunneling should only occur when your doing really poor, such as no kills/Gen rushed/Toxic swf players. Ive played killer, and I know how annoying it is to do really bad and not get a single kill, all killers want at least ONE kill.

The fact I've seen red ranks use this and claim 'Your the closest person', no s**t sherlock I just got off the hook near you, I'm not going to be across the map am I?

At the end of the day, I'm not saying DON'T TUNNEL YOUR RUDE YOUR UNFAIR. I'm saying, don't brag and think your really good because you tunneled a 4k.

You may get tonnes of points which is true, but don't call yourself a skilled killer, spare me the bs *yawns*

Comments

• Human_Giraffe
    Human_Giraffe Member Posts: 123
    Options

As I said on your other post, no, it doesn't take skill to do unless you wait out their BT and possible DS. But it is a valid tactic you can use if you're about to lose the game. You should only tunnel or need to tunnel if you have 1 or 2 gens left, only 2 people or less are dead on hook, and nobody is dead yet. That's the only situation I feel that it's okay to tunnel, and sometimes it's not even your fault. The unhooker might unhook in front of you without BT and so you take advantage of the situation and get some map pressure. That's not tunnelling, that's creating an advantageous situation where you know three people are going to be not doing gens because one's on the ground, one's being chased, one's going to get the down'ed survivor up, and the fourth survivor will also be going to get the down'ed survivor if you're lucky and they don't have any information perks or aren't in a SWF.

• ast2astRegMgr
    ast2astRegMgr Member Posts: 124
    Options

Maybe that killer was doing poorly when he tunneled you as you stated in your post as being acceptable for tunneling. I know when I play killer I try to take out the weakest links first BB or if I happen to catch the stronger players out of position then I tend to proxy camp them. The thing is either killer or survivor they will always have justification for their actions that will most definitely not line up with how you felt that they played. I would be completely fine if all end game chat were removed.

• Human_Giraffe
    Options

Well yeah but would you really qualify breathing as a skill? Or lighting yourself on fire? I think you're confusing ability to do something with a skill, something you can do that you can do well. You can't really tunnel well now can you? You do it the same as any other killer.

• Tactless_Ninja
    Tactless_Ninja Member Posts: 1,791
    edited September 2020
    Options

I typically blame teammates not willing to put themselves out there. If you go to where someone was unhooked as killer and only find the guy that was just hooked, their teammate just threw them under a bus.

Then there's the blatant tunneling where they see a survivor, but don't care because one guy is more dead than the other.

• Dwinchester
    Dwinchester Member Posts: 961
    Options

Unless you're playing nurse, skill alone will not win against good survivors. I dont think any killer wants to tunnel, but they have to in order to have a chance at winning, and no a 2k isnt a win, I dont care what bhvr and survivor mains say.

It sucks, but this is the game bhvr has made, so dont blame killers, blame them for no viable options for victory.

• UMCorian
    UMCorian Member Posts: 531
    edited September 2020
    Options

You're right... tunneling isn't skill, it's a tactic. There's killers, add-ons and perk that make tunneling more or less effective and it also depends on the killer's playstyle. You can either be a good tunneler or a bad tunneler.

And yes, deliberate tunneling should occur only when you're losing. I feel it's somewhat against the spirit of the game to focus on one survivor, but if someone decides to do an unsafe hook in front of me and I'm playing Hillbilly or Bubba...... or for some reason, I know they aren't running BT... sorry. I'm not gonna let you run from me.

• C_Frank
    C_Frank Member Posts: 179
    Options

Killers main objetive is killing survivors, but is a clock race. Killer need to slow the gen speed, presure the survivor to nor make gen and gain time to kill. Camping adn tunneling some time is the best choice. Is not the 1 option for a good killer tunnel a survivor because BT and DS. Some time is a good choice. But if u main strategy is camp and tunnel is not a skillful killer.

• RizeAki
    RizeAki Member Posts: 1,209
    Options

I mean to a point it does take skill. You can always run the killer around until gens get done or they give up. I’m not saying this is you but. I see a lot of survivors complain about tunneling but the first down ended up in around 20 seconds or less. The second can be the same then they ds the killer. And yet again die in 20 seconds or less. So if the survivor is bad at looping it’s a lack of skill on them rather the killer. Now ofc this excludes some killers and like face camping into a tunnel. But if say the killer walks away isn’t in a chase you get unhooked other guy is healthy you are the obvious choice. If you can’t loop when you have time to get to a loop that’s a lack of skill on the survivor. Thanks for coming to my TedTalk.

• CrowFoxy
    CrowFoxy Member Posts: 1,310
    Options

3 hooking all the survivors is impossible if the survivors are good.

You need to eliminate your last, or last few survivors to a meager 1 or 2 hooks where possible since you only have a collective 6 minutes before all gens are done, less if they coop smartly/toolboxes/bnp etc etc.

Tunnelling let's you eliminate a survivor asap, which slows the game down by a whole lot, and tbh, that relieves soooo much stress.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    Options

idk about breathing, but I would certainly call lighting yourself on fire a skill.

Not a particularly practical skill, but a skill nonetheless

• xXCAM3R0NXx
    xXCAM3R0NXx Member Posts: 387
    Options

But looping the killer well is what makes them tunnel or even face camp in the first place, because you're good survivor they don't wanna play with you so they just kill u out the game lol

• xXCAM3R0NXx
    Options

I'm not saying you can't tunnel, you're acting as if I want you to not tunnel. Although that's what most survivors would want, I'm not saying that.

I'm just letting those who think they are 'all this all that' at being killer because they tunnel every person on hook, you ain't all this all that, It hard to follow the same person.

• xXCAM3R0NXx
    Options

I get that, but the amount of games I've played where they've unhooked me, they go behind me to get the attention of killer but they go straight past them and down me n don't even bother slugging me, they just pick me up immediately to put me back on.

Well done mate, you got a kill by downing me, I had no chance of escaping, really good skill had to be used there damn, was a close one... Like no it's a killers easy way out, and then they think they are a great killer after the game lol

• Human_Giraffe
    Options

Well I mean I can't argue with you there. It is definitely not practical but it does take uh, some effort, to do it I guess.

• xXCAM3R0NXx
    Options

Not when you've literally just got off the hook and you've just started to run....

• FrootLoops
    FrootLoops Member Posts: 376
    Options

as one who is frequently the light at the end of someone's tunnel.... it's fine. I certainly wouldn't call tunnelling in and of itself a skill, but it IS often times the right play. I play on a SWF with 3 immersive AF friends and I'm the impatient idiot that never lets go of the run button. So if i've been hooked and the killer takes off to patrol gens and I'm the next person they see I certainly don't expect them to ignore me and keep stomping bushes trying to flush out my friends.

TLDR; tunneling isn't a skill, it's just more often the right play and having the sense of when to tunnel and when not to IS a skill and I respect that

• Kumnut768
    Kumnut768 Member Posts: 789
    Options

its just a scummy play, it should be frowned upon, you can diminish the argument to "killers are meant to kill" but that doesnt mean anything because everyone knows its so unfun for the survivor and essentially meaning that they just cant play the game because you were so sweaty

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2020
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536
    Options

Proxy camp, tunnel, NOED. The winning strat of many a boosted killed.

I guess yeah its not so much the killer skill, its more a lack of skill knowledge on the survivors part. If the killer is trying to take one out asap you just gotta rush the gens while you have time, you also dont unhook unless you have BT to buy that survivor extra time in a chase (ive seen many survivors just farm)

At the same time though can we acknowledge that looping a wraith all game takes little skill? If you’re running around safe pallets and safe structures the game is designed in a way that the killer literally can’t touch you. Its more a lack of skill/knowledge on the killers part for commiting to that chase. I see some survivors loop m1 killers around a few safe pallets and bs structures though and then think they’re amazing, seemingly not realizing how its physically impossible for the killer to get a hit.

• Kalinikta
    Kalinikta Member Posts: 709
    Options

Tunneling is a tactic, not a skill. It is like stating doing the generator nearest to you is unskillful, you have to traverse the entire map first then once you complete that again move to the most difficult to complete generator and do that. If the killers comes by and kicks your generator you must wait for it to completely regress before you can work on it again.

The goal of the killer is to kill you, the quicker they do it the better it is for their game. Tunneling is often just the good move, due to the behavior of the team of the survivors and it is in their best interest to protect their kill and progress as quickly as possible.

Your buddy didn't take a protective hit, your team didn't lure the killer away, did they time it perfectly to arrive at the exact moment of the unhook, did your team unhook you after being spotted by the killer?

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,950
    Options

Thing is, due to how the pip system works, you know that that survivor will be guaranteed to depip. I dont mind being hooked twice in a row early in game to be a guaranteed kill when there is 2 gens left, but being hooked out of the game when only 1-2 gens have been finished while I've been on the hook all game is just basically admitting you would lose otherwise.

As for being better at looping for getting tunneled, no, just no. Considering the amount of deadzones many of the maps have, that is simply not an argument. If you hook in a jungle gym, sure, thats a good argument, but at least 50% of hooks are in a position where you can hit the unhooked survivor before they can even get to a loop.

And you know what another option is instead of deadhooking? Slugging. It means I cant do gens, it means 1 survivor needs to go towards me to pick me up while you can chase the 3rd survivor. Meaning only 1 survivor is on gens, you have 1 person guaranteed to be dead on hook and you allow that one survivor to still do some work to gain a black pip at the very least. Because thats the biggest issue IMO, is that you basically force a survivor to depip while they had 0 chance to work for a black pip. I agree that getting 1 survivor out ASAP is what a killer should aim for, but not at the cost of dicking someone over. The only exception being that survivor obviously being overly cocky, but trust me, everytime I do that, I actually dont mind if the killer gets me, because odds are that I already did enough to get my black pip and just need some chasing to gain a pip.

• CosmicParagon
    CosmicParagon Member Posts: 1,070
    Options

You cannot get camped if the killer cannot catch you. Learn to loop well enough that by the time the killer DOES down you, the gens are nearly done and they can safely save you. Perks such as Dead Hard, Decisive Strike, and Iron Will also make it more difficult for the killer to stay on you.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
  • CosmicParagon
    CosmicParagon Member Posts: 1,070
    Options

The killer cannot hook you if he can't catch you in the first place. Learning to loop properly is 100% the counter for camping and tunneling killers.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
  • OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001
    Options

Something tells me you have been getting tunneled to the point of making a thread on the forums.

Also, you have to know which survivor is worth the tunnel, usually it's the really bad one, also use BT for gods' sake.

• Predated
    Options

You literally didnt read. My second statement literally includes deadzones and you cant loop a deadzone.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2020
    Options
  • Predated
    Options

Nope, it literally is admitting you have no other way of getting a win. I mean, you literally are ignoring 50% of your objective just to tunnel. Killing survivors is only half of your objective. And yeah, if they are stupid enough to not rush gens when you camp, its on them.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Predated
    Options

Nope, objective is what the pip system tells you is. Sure, you can change it if you want, but that makes you wrong. Besides, last time I checked, I heard the devs are deciding in making tunneling even less useful for killers than it already is. Because against decent survivors, you will lose gens quickly. Im guessing you're at best purple rank, because thats pretty much the only time survivors unsafely unhook other survivors without having 3 gens ready to pop.

• SloppyKnockout
    SloppyKnockout Member Posts: 1,505
    Options

Time management - the biggest hurdle of playing killer. The killer needs all the time they can get. Proper time management also includes going after someone who will be dead sooner, or is already injured. Whether it's to slug them or get them out of the game. Proper time management can call for tunneling. This is a decision the killer needs to make - and if they can manage their time properly, through any means, it is a skillful play.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Tricks
    Tricks Member Posts: 957
    Options

Doing anything as nurse requires skill, breathing and bursting spontaneously into flame included.