The Continued Ignorance of Performance Issues Continues to Hamper Player Fun

Options

Comments

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,624
    Options

More videos today:

Here's Pinhead's Chain freezing when you release it. (also, yes I'm salty about my ruin and undying being cleansed in 45 second :( )

Here's Ruin deciding to not regress a gen. No idea why. Not specifically Console but I thought I'd toss it in.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,639
    Options

I’m getting freezes while chasing survivors. Didn’t pay close attention to what caused it but it throws me off track and sometimes makes me lose chases.

• zombitehdeath
    zombitehdeath Member Posts: 587
    Options

They somehow made the freeze that lithe gave worst even tho they specially made changes to remove the freeze.

having the chain have a lag spike is not only worst but detrimental to playing him.

and the worst of them all, ruin having a bug that if it can happen in any game completely destroys the perk and i hope it was a one time thing.

• Pulsar
    Options

Yeah, I hope so too.

Who knows how many times that Ruin bug happens when people can't see it.

• zombitehdeath
    zombitehdeath Member Posts: 587
    Options

The worst part might be that since no one will know it happen or they don't know the cause so it would be like the sound bug when the survivors is on the ground which has been in the game for over 2 year now but that might be an exaggeration as the ruin bug has to do with a perk so it might be easier to get it fix.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,280
    Options

What probably happened is they were gonna re-use the Pustula Petals but then decided later on that they were gonna make a new offering, they just simply added a string of text to an already existing offering so I highly doubt that could cause performance issues but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it some how did

Also the Pustula Plants are actually a challenge from Tome V Unleashed

• ggallinftw
    ggallinftw Member Posts: 351
    Options

Has anybody played since the patch today? Is it better? Worse? Hope I got something yo look forward to. Fingers crossed.

• Timtom24
    Timtom24 Member Posts: 230
    Options

nope it isnt that.. there are quests in the first rift i think in which pustula plants still are farmable so they spawn for the people who have selected the mission

• DarKStaR350z
    DarKStaR350z Member Posts: 635
    Options

Ohhhhh thank you! So the plants spawn if people have selected the Tome V challenge but are only interactable if you are on that challenge?

• DarKStaR350z
    Options

Has the update today fixed anything btw?

Just got home from work and its downloaded something; waiting for PS4 to finish copying so I can see whats happened if anything.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,832
    Options

Yes. I actually leave one of those challenges forever unfinished just to spawn in the Pustula Plant for the fun of it. I like seeing it around the map.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    Options

There was an update today? I'm kinda out of the loop, didn't play the game for few days.

I'm interested as well.

• DarKStaR350z
    Options

So nothing to help us again, le sigh. These are the notes: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/kb/articles/303-5-3-2-bugfix-patch

For some reason it errors when I try and insert the link here :/

The PS4 patch notes only list 3 things again and they are on the main patch notes linked:

• Fixed an issue that caused the archive widget to appear without any challenge selected when there would be a challenge selected in the tome page.
    • Fixed an issue that caused the purchased survivor to be unlocked and no Auric Cells to be spent after getting a "Purchase Failed" error in the store.
    • Fixed an issue that caused the player to be able to level up two character Bloodwebs at the same time

Thats all. So nothing. Again.

But hey look teaser for the new chapter to spend money on to not be able to play! :')

• Opekyn
    Opekyn Member Posts: 83
    Options

I'm curious to see what will happen with BHVR sales at this point - they've shat the bed pretty badly on the last 4 releases (2 being licensed).

I bought the last 2 kills from the Rift refund with no plans to purchase anything else.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

As survivor I'm getting freezes every time Mikey is stalking me. If he goes in/out of stalk in a chase I get the hitches that totally screw me over. Thought maybe it was people kicking pumpkins until it happened when it was just myself and another player in the match. The other player was slugged so they couldn't be doing anything to cause performance issues. When I was in chase saw that slowdown Mikey does while stalking and I got hitches anytime he went in/out of it. Seems like it's when he's stalking you and not necessarily anytime he stalks.

The hook hitches are back to being terrible too.

• GrimoireWeiss
    GrimoireWeiss Member Posts: 1,452
    Options

Today we had yet another update that made things even worse. Now we're back to the same RE state. Killer is unplayable because every freeze now turns your character 180 degrees.

I feel so dumb for wasting my money buying Pinhead. I recommend for anyone on last gen to stop spending money on this game, I'm pretty sure they'll drop the boat on our consoles soon, no matter what they said on the last stream.

• Nathan13
    Options

Getting quick freezes when beginning to cleanse a totem.

• bm33
    Options

I get these too. Also get ones when someone else blesses a totem or cleanses hex totem.

• Tr1nity
    Tr1nity Member Posts: 5,047
    Options

At this point they might as well just make this post the entire optimization subforum.

• Nathan13
    Options

Everything’s getting worse. And I can’t buy a new console anytime soon because of the shortage. I’m stressing here because I just wanna be able to play the game.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,544
    Options

Sorry, just catching up on this thread now.

I take it, performance has dropped in the last couple of patches - we talking since Mid Chapter Patch?

I'll need to put some bullet points together to see exactly where it's dropped....the videos will help, looking at them it seems to be status effects again.

• Nathan13
    Options

Yes, we’re talking like RE chapter performances coming back.

• GrimoireWeiss
    Options

They started after the Mid Chapter Patch, but the subsequents updates (5.3.1 and 5.3.2) made them worse.

Not only Status Effects, I've been getting random freezes just walking around the map and the worst ones are the hooking/unhooking freezes, these always make me turn 180 degrees. Things like Nemesis upgrading his power, Wraith uncloaking and Clown's bottles also tank the FPS A LOT. I'll try to record a match later.

• GrimoireWeiss
    Options

@MandyTalk

Here's a match from right after 5.3.1 on PS4. After 5.3.2 freezes like the one on 1:16 (where there's nothing really happening asides from me using Plague's power) are even nore frequent.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,468
    Options

The drops when Lithe is activated are more apparent again, like when RE Chapter came out. Kicking the pumpkins drops frames as well, even if it does not apply any effect, and for some reason turns the cam left a few degrees as well.

• JPLongstreet
    Options

I am not completely sure, but I believe as long as Microsoft and Sony and Nintendo still actively support the proir gen consoles DBD cannot abandon them. As they said in the last Q&A as long as it is technically able to, like the engine straight up no longer working with any PS4 for example.

But as we all know the performance issues are mostly based in optimization problems, and making any platform load each and every killer & all their assets every match.

So we are stuck with each other it seems, far longer than the console makers or the devs ever dreamed of.

• GrimoireWeiss
    Options

Maybe they can't fully drop updating the game, but from what it looks the game will become more and more next to unplayable.

• popeepoopooman
    popeepoopooman Member Posts: 1
    Options

Yeah it's just painful. Hopefully the pumpkins being gone next week will help but every time anyone uses an ability I freeze for a second and lose my sense of direction

• bm33
    Options

Mid-chapter I started having worse performance issues against Nemesis, alot of delayed hits like I'm no where near him and have "escape chase" pop up but then I am on the ground and when I swing my camera I see him chasing someone else half way across the map. The event with pumpkins have created more issues, also makes it difficult to pinpoint freezes as you don't know if someone kicked a pumpkin or if something else is causing the hitch.

The hot-fix patches just seemed to make the performance issues worse. The hook/unhook the person completely freezing after unhook went away but now we have everyone having hitches when someone is hooked/unhooked - which depending on map/killer can make it worse.

The sloppy fix I was excited for but I didn't face any killers running it until after the second hot fix when performance issues declined again. I'm not sure if fix actually worked or hotfixes reverted the fix and I missed it.

• DieGräfin
    DieGräfin Member Posts: 227
    Options

They are still performance issues with special skins from killers. For example this "Blight" skin for spirit. My game runs with 10 fps if a killer wearing this skin.

• Pulsar
    edited November 2021
    Options

The skin is also toned down from the PC version.

(Missing particle effects and such)

• JPLongstreet
    Options

Yeah sadly that seems to be the direction we're headed to

• Mandy
    Options

I will bring this up to the team - I'll make some notes after going through this thread and advise them of the situation - thank you for the information, especially with regards to the Blight skin!

• JAGØ
    JAGØ Member Posts: 12
    Options

PS4 user here, DbD is literally the ONLY game, that I own, that has performance issues like that. I can run FF14, DS3, GG STRIVE, SF V, CROSSOUT, COD, DOOM ETERNAL, GOW and literally every other title, that I own, without ANY issues. But omg forbid if I want to play DbD, my console is in screeching mode as soon as I turn on this game. I wanna know why, why this game? It has old Gen graphics... I mean idk, it has gotten to a point, where I honestly think, the Devs of this game, will never fix it. It's been years, years my dude!

• Pulsar
    Options

I'll try to bullet point it for you so you can save some time.

• Sloppy Butcher still freezes.
    • Dead Hard is not causing as much freezing, but with the new validation, it can cause some upon a false hit.
    • Boons being lit causes freezes for both Killer and Survivor, regardless of how close you are to the boon.
    • Entering the boon radius has caused occasional hitches as Survivor.
    • Cleansing totems causes freezing.
    • Kicking a pumpkin causes every player to freeze.
    • Launching a Chain with Pinhead will cause a microfreeze.
    • Nemesis causes big time freezing upon a successful hit with his Tentacle Strike, usually only on the Survivor end.
    • Wraith uncloaking and then successfully hitting a Survivor can freeze the game.
    • Hag traps being triggered has frozen my game on occasion. It isn't every time.
    • Successful unhooks can cause freezing.
    • Doctor still causes huge FPS drops and random freezes. My bet would be on his hallucination affects.
    • Huntress Hatches landing will cause FPS drops and freezing.
    • Freddy causes FPS drops and freezing upon a successful hit and occasionally when triggering a Dream Snare/Pallet.
    • Legion occasionally freezes on the Killer-side when landing a hit in FF.
    • Demo's Shred is back doing it's random freezing thing.
    • Wraith's Blight Skin causes FPS drops.
    • The Blight also causes freezes when he bounces near you.
    • Blighted Serum also seems to cause some issues. My bet would be on the particle effects.
    • Pinhead's Box Solving teleport can cause the Survivors to briefly freeze if he's too close I think.

That's pretty much everything I have personally observed in my matches and what I can vouch for in good faith. I hope this helps out!

• bm33
    Options

Just adding to your list.

Survibors anytime entering Dreamworld will cause freezes, not just on hit. Have had freezes when other survivors enter into it.

Pumpkins that cause status effects cause worse freezes than regular pumpkin.

Hex totem cleanse causes worse freeze than dull totem.

Killers using Blight serum will cause a freeze.

Players wearing Blight cosmetics, or cosmetics with similar glowing effects, will cause freezes.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    Options

Lol thank god I'm on a break again.

• Mandy
    Options

Thank you for the list Pulsar, I have passed this on - the bullet points really really helped, I appreciate the time you took...I used the vids too.

• Nathan13
    Options

this halloween event can’t come soon enough. I don’t even wanna kick pumpkins because of these freezes.

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742
    Options
  • Pulsar
    Options
  • DieGräfin
    DieGräfin Member Posts: 227
    Options

And the problem is more and more buy this skin. It's absolutely horrible. Game is not playable 😔

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

Yo can you do something for my PS4 not turning into a plane, and fix in game freezes ? Thanks.