Banned for Intentionally Deranking (not me but a friend)

Fibijean
Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

So my friend recently got a weeklong ban from the game for "unsportsmanlike behaviour" (first offence). Although he wasn't given any more clarification than that, my guess is that the ban was for the amount of times he's deliberately disconnected from games, and presumably the offence was so severe that they banned him for an entire week straight up instead of the usual 24 hours for first offence. Not contesting that, it sucks but I understand the rules.

The thing is, the reason he intentially disconnects is because he keeps ranking up when he doesn't want to. He would much rather be a lower rank simply because people tend to be nicer at low ranks, when they're either new or don't take the game so seriously. Honestly, I don't blame him. It's one of the reasons I enjoy swf with my lower ranked buddies.

As things stand, intentionally disconnecting or just playing really badly are the only ways to derank (short of just not playing at all and waiting for a new season to do its thing). Both of those methods make the game less enjoyable for other players, which is obviously why the former is bannable. So I understand the reasoning behind the ban, but I'm sure my friend isn't alone in his dilemma.

Is there a way to derank in a safe manner which doesn't impede on other players' enjoyment of the game? I'm not looking for a sneaky workaround, just some way that people like my friend who don't enjoy high-ranked gameplay can play in a more casual setting. As things currently stand, I'm pretty sure that it's not possible (although I'm happy to be corrected).

So what I'm proposing is that there be some solution introduced. Possibly, it's something that's already being worked on, in which case that's fantastic. I personally think that there should be a) new balance changes which make it harder for survivors who are just playing casually to rank up, or b) some way to control one's rank manually, or c) even better, a non-ranked gameplay mode (as you would find in games like, say, LoL) where players can just play casually without the pressure of rank to cause saltiness. Because honestly, the only reason that high-ranked gameplay is so unpleasant is because everyone takes the game and their rank very seriously and so tend to be really salty about losing.

tl;dr: I understand why people get banned for intentionally disconnecting, but I think there should be a way for people to play casually, in an environment like that which you encounter at low ranks, so that they're not forced to dc in order to derank just so that they can play the game in an enjoyable, low-pressure atmosphere.

Comments

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200
    edited October 2018

Even fogstreamers derank by DCING and that is supported by the devs.
    The DC-rate has to be absurdly high that you get caught and I bet your friend DCed a lot more than just to derank a bit

Afking in order to derank is fine, at least thats what mods have told me for the old report system. I assume nothing has changed with the new one

• DeadByFlashlight
    DeadByFlashlight Member Posts: 1,642
    edited October 2018

Even fogstreamers derank by DCing and the devs support this instead of punishing it.
    If you really want to derank either go afk or walk directly to the killer and let him kill you.

• AnotherRandy
    AnotherRandy Member Posts: 274

Even fogstreamers derank by DCing and the devs support this instead of punishing it.
    If you really want to derank either go afk or walk directly to the killer and let him kill you.

Which fogstreamer and how do you know?
  • DeadByFlashlight

@AnotherRandy said:
    DeadByFlashlight said:

jendenise, she admited it on stream several times already
    Also she admits using MLGA, just fyi :lol:

• DeadByFlashlight

@Kilmeran said:
    Good, as a new player already facing obvious Vets who deranked to Rank 15, and then rank reset back to Rank 17 and into our grey ranks, I hope they permaban you #########.

Well she is just a cute girl that P3ed every character and sits at several thousands hours that wants to have a bit fun with 3 of her friends :wink:

Its a really bad idea to drop into the beginner ranks area because queue time is horrible there btw

• Visionmaker
    Visionmaker Member Posts: 2,051
    edited October 2018
    D/Cing ruins the experience of four other people in the game. If you are a higher skilled player in an improper rank, you make the game unfair for the opposition. Even in games with casual matchmaking have a rating that cannot be avoided. The only difference is being able to see it.
    YOU might be having fun after deranking but that doesn't mean anyone else is. Not to mention screwing over 30% of people you run into.
    There should be a LFG system to find people to play with in KFY and ranked, but that's all it needs. Otherwise the queues would be crippled.
  • Lord_Hanke
    Lord_Hanke Member Posts: 31

ask the devs to make pipping harder/depipping easier = no black pip

• DeadByFlashlight

@Peanits said:
    I don't think anyone should be able to control their rank. Lowering your rank for easier matches means you're making the match worse for the people you're going against (on either side). That means that the people you're going against are going to have a miserable time playing against someone who should be a higher rank. Not to mention that while you're deranking, you're ruining the game for the other four people in the lobby.

The rank system should more accurately reflect your rank, though. In an even match, you shouldn't feel like you're getting stomped. The emblem system is always being balanced to be more accurate, so hopefully one day rank will be a better representation of skill.

I feel like removing the safety pip would be a great step in the right direction. It would make it easier for people to derank back to a rank that they're comfortable in. I find it to be too easy to safety pip, meaning that you're eventually going to rank up on average (you have to do extremely poorly to de-pip). The skill levels at rank 1 vary wildly because of it. You'll have some people who well deserve it, and you'll have others that'll leave you wondering how they got past rank 19.

Realistically speaking, rank 1 should mean "best of the best". I don't mean this in a rude way, but we're not all the best of the best. A lot of the people at rank 1 on both sides just shouldn't be there, so I get why it's frustrating. In the perfect world, you should have a challenging but fair match at whatever rank you're at.

I do not, however, think deranking is excusable. That just takes the issue you have and dumps it on other people instead.

Thats exactly what I wish we would have in DBD. But for that to happen, the game has to be balanced around high lvl gameplay too because in its current state it would be completely broken at the actual "rank 1 lvl"

• ScottJund
    ScottJund Member Posts: 1,115
    I derank by disconnecting quite a bit at the start of each rank reset because if I don't I literally can't play the game by ranking up too fast as killer. It sucks that I have to do it but my options are risk getting banned or have no job.
  • DeadByFlashlight

@ScottJund said:
    I derank by disconnecting quite a bit at the start of each rank reset because if I don't I literally can't play the game by ranking up too fast as killer. It sucks that I have to do it but my options are risk getting banned or have no job.

I have seen streamers creating multiple accounts in order to be able to play withotu 15 minute queues.... Its a joke :lol:

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467
    Isn’t there a bug that’s making red rank queues take upwards of 30 minutes? Maybe that’s why your friend is deranking. If the bug hasn’t been fixed, then I’d say it that was an unfair ban. Your friend was trying to have a chance to play the game, unless BHVR thinks it’s fine to sit in queues for over 30 minutes. 
  • Visionmaker
    edited October 2018
    Isn’t there a bug that’s making red rank queues take upwards of 30 minutes? Maybe that’s why your friend is deranking. If the bug hasn’t been fixed, then I’d say it that was an unfair ban. Your friend was trying to have a chance to play the game, unless BHVR thinks it’s fine to sit in queues for over 30 minutes. 
    There isn't. Red rank is nice and healthy
    The worst is a slow 3-man lobby, but a reset is enough to get around it.

• ChesterTheMolester
    ChesterTheMolester Member Posts: 2,771
    edited October 2018
    I play on PS4 and never had to wait more than a minute at the red ranks
  • HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

People also derank due to the broken matchmaking this game has. The devs are aware of it yet they take no action to fix it. Also I think deranking as killer is acceptable due to swf and coms being a part of this game. You 're not on equal footing when play against the same rank, the survivors can relay the info on killer's position, where they found a totem etc. and then disclose his loadout to their teammates after 1 person dies.

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142
    edited October 2018

@DeadByFlashlight said: Thats exactly what I wish we would have in DBD. But for that to happen, the game has to be balanced around high lvl gameplay too because in its current state it would be completely broken at the actual "rank 1 lvl"

You are right, and that is how pretty much every other game with a Competitive mode does it.

The issue is that Behavior would first have to change the system, and then give it time for people to stabilize at their proper ranks, and then go about re-balancing things. Because right now, there are many in the Red Ranks that don't belong there. And you can't balance around the Top Ranks while that exists, because the top ranks are over-saturated right now.

Meanwhile, even with the new system, things would still be abusable. Players will find a way. It's rough to fix things like this when you've let 2+ years go by like this. It's something that needs to be in place at launch, or nailed within the first or two post-launch quarters.

On top of that, it could take upwards of a year to really get it playable, and in that time they're still releasing Killers/Survivor every three months with even more Perks and Add-Ons. Unless they have a much larger team than it appears, they would have to consider postponing new chapters. And that will never happen, considering their entire model is based off steady DLC sales.

In my gaming experience, it might be too late to right this ship. It's already well into iceberg-infested waters. To be completely honest, DBD needs the Final Fantasy XIV treatment, but Behavior simply cannot afford to do that. Especially now, since I would wager that Behavior has lost a pretty-penny on Deathgarden.

I believe that at this point in the game's lifespan, as far as those systems go, we might see some tweaks here and there, but not in the form of the overhaul that it truly needs. I feel it's now a matter of accepting Dead by Daylight for how it is and playing, or not and finding another game.

My hat is off to all of you Vets that have stuck it out for 2+ years. You have better game-stamina nowadays than I do for such design flaws.

• scerckan
    scerckan Member Posts: 149
    edited October 2018
    so your "friend" is way too much of a scrub to compete against high rank players and decides to fck all the items, add ons and offerings of the survivors he crosses path with when hes lowering his rank by DCing? I say good job devs, keep on it
  • DeadByFlashlight

@scerckan said:
    so your "friend" is way too much of a scrub to compete against high rank players and decides to fck all the items, add ons and offerings of the survivors he crosses path with when hes lowering his rank by DCing? I say good job devs, keep on it

Survivors dont lose their items and addons when the killer DCs. Its actually the killer who loses all his loadout when survivors DC (at least he gets 2,5k BP for compensation lul)

• scerckan
    scerckan Member Posts: 149

@scerckan said:

Survivors dont lose their items and addons when the killer DCs. Its actually the killer who loses all his loadout when survivors DC (at least he gets 2,5k BP for compensation lul)

Are you serious?
  • Visionmaker

@scerckan said:

Depends on how they d/c.
    And luckily it doesn't take just one salty player d/cing for killers to lose anything.
  • thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

Don't they condone DC to derank? I know they let Fog streamers do it with no penalty. Maybe your friend got banned for other reasons.

• Kilmeran
    edited October 2018

@thesuicidefox said:
    Don't they condone DC to derank? I know they let Fog streamers do it with no penalty. Maybe your friend got banned for other reasons.

It's not that they condone it, but rather that they refuse to take any action against the people providing them with free marketing. It's why Jendenise gets away with the crap that she does on a live stream, and gets into the Fog Whisperers new pilot program.

That is the image Behavior wants to put forward about Dead by Daylight, and that potential new players will first see when looking into the game on Twitch, considering she is one of their Top-List streamers for DBD. So, it is what it is.

• ChesterTheMolester
    edited October 2018
    Kilmeran said:

@thesuicidefox said:

It's not that they condone it, but rather that they refuse to take any action against the people providing them with free marketing. It's why Jendenise gets away with the crap that she does on a live stream, and gets into the Fog Whisperers new pilot program.

That is the image Behavior wants to put forward about Dead by Daylight, and that potential new players will first see when looking into the game on Twitch, considering she is one of their Top-List streamers for DBD. So, it is what it is.

True. Its either the marketing or BHVR fearing the shitstorm which will be unleashed by the badly parented middle school kids. They will buy her kool aid instantly.

Either way that proofs that someone at BHVR seriously lacks any leadership qualities if someone gets to disrespect the rules and even earnes privileges by the same company.
    Just weak.

Given how toxic the community is and previous Reviewbombs its not a good idea to take any ######### from anyone and show weakness in doing so or they will lose control.

• Kilmeran
    edited October 2018

@ChesterTheMolester said:
    Kilmeran said:

@thesuicidefox said:

True. Its either the marketing or BHVR fearing the shitstorm which will be unleashed by the badly parented middle school kids. They will buy her kool aid instantly.

Either way that proofs that someone at BHVR seriously lacks any leadership qualities if someone gets to disrespect the rules and even earnes privileges by the same company.
    Just weak.

Given how toxic the community is and previous Reviewbombs its not a good idea to take any ######### from anyone and show weakness in doing so or they will lose control.

We know leadership is seriously lacking. Remember what the Game Lead suggested on a live dev stream to players unhappy with being a Killer in DBD. Not only that they play Survivor then, but that they consider playing a different game, from a different studio, entirely.

This is the same leadership that endorses streamers like Jendenise.

• purebalance
    purebalance Member Posts: 661

Rank is MMR. Intentionally deranking is doing so with the intent on putting yourself with lower ranked players.

Rank means absolutely nothing in the game other than a tool to appropriately place you with people at your skill level.

• purebalance
    purebalance Member Posts: 661

@DeadByFlashlight said:

@scerckan said:

Actually killers have found a way to make survivors dc rather than themselves so the survivors lose 2 pips, lose items(which normally doesn't happen if you dc) and get 0 BP. So yeah I'm pretty sure that's worse than a killer has happen. 4 people lose essentially 20k bp and 2 pips?

• slingshotsurvivor
    slingshotsurvivor Member Posts: 943

@AnotherRandy said:
    DeadByFlashlight said:

jendenise, she admited it on stream several times already
    Also she admits using MLGA, just fyi :lol:

What is MLGA and what does it do? 
  • ChesterTheMolester
    edited October 2018
    Kilmeran said:

@ChesterTheMolester said:
    Kilmeran said:

@thesuicidefox said:

Just weak.

We know leadership is seriously lacking. Remember what the Game Lead suggested on a live dev stream to players unhappy with being a Killer in DBD. Not only that they play Survivor then, but that they consider playing a different game, from a different studio, entirely.

This is the same leadership that endorses streamers like Jendenise.

Its funny cause streamers SHOULD be treated with harsh vigilance by the Devs, meaning that these are the very first and loudest bans you hand out if they break rules. Of course streamers that try their best being a good example like HybridPanda and Paulie can be supported.
  • ScottJund
    I’ll take my one week vacation.  It seems a DC ban wave has gone out.

I hope one day they’ll make it a lot harder to rank up, or remove the safety PIP.  

I never DC from my Killer games, and I’ll leave my killer at R1.  

I don’t want to play R1 Survivor, or anywhere near it.  I didn’t sign up for DBD Worlds eSports, and a lot of people in this realm believe that’s what they’re playing.  It’s not fun. 

Give us casual mode.  
    They did make it harder to rank up. Killers literally could not play at Rank 1. It was awful
  • Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Post #1.000!

• altruistic
    altruistic Member Posts: 1,141
    ScottJund said:

I hope one day they’ll make it a lot harder to rank up, or remove the safety PIP.  

I don’t want to play R1 Survivor, or anywhere near it.  I didn’t sign up for DBD Worlds eSports, and a lot of people in this realm believe that’s what they’re playing.  It’s not fun. 

Give us casual mode.  
    They did make it harder to rank up. Killers literally could not play at Rank 1. It was awful

ScottJund said:

Give us casual mode.  

ScottJund said:

Give us casual mode.  
    Introduction of the emblem system is what I assume you’re talking about.  It would take a solid 25-30 minutes to find a game as R1 Killer, that is true.

Still hit R1 Survivor that season, and without perks (tough game haHAA).  I felt like the other players in my lobby actually had more than two brain cells.  These days you have urban immersed Claudette’s who hide at the edge of the map.  Or gamers who can’t even put up a chase for one gen.

Literally anyone can be R1 Killer or Survivor and hold onto it all season long.  It signifies no skill, only time played.  Doesn’t take away the feeling I have to play so sweaty just to get a decent amount of bloodpoints as a Survivor.  

I’ve lurked your stream a bit, I respect your Killer gameplay.  I look at your videos as I try to improve my Huntress.  Good Killers and Survivors deserve to be high rank, not everyone who puts in 10+ hours a season.

• ScottJund
    ScottJund said:

Give us casual mode.  

ScottJund said:

Give us casual mode.  

ScottJund said:

Give us casual mode.  
    Introduction of the emblem system is what I assume you’re talking about.  It would take a solid 25-30 minutes to find a game as R1 Killer, that is true.

Still hit R1 Survivor that season, and without perks (tough game haHAA).  I felt like the other players in my lobby actually had more than two brain cells.  These days you have urban immersed Claudette’s who hide at the edge of the map.  Or gamers who can’t even put up a chase for one gen.

Literally anyone can be R1 Killer or Survivor and hold onto it all season long.  It signifies no skill, only time played.  Doesn’t take away the feeling I have to play so sweaty just to get a decent amount of bloodpoints as a Survivor.  

I’ve lurked your stream a bit, I respect your Killer gameplay.  I look at your videos as I try to improve my Huntress.  Good Killers and Survivors deserve to be high rank, not everyone who puts in 10+ hours a season.

I agree that rank is meaningless with the current system but I'd still prefer that than not playing the game at all. There are not enough good players that would be at the high ranks, which would make ranking up even more of a burden than it is.
  • I agree that high rank games are less fun, more toxic behaviour on both sides, but deranking is the wrong solution, the ban is totally deserved.
  • altruistic
    altruistic Member Posts: 1,141
    edited October 2018
    I agree that high rank games are less fun, more toxic behaviour on both sides, but deranking is the wrong solution, the ban is totally deserved.

You think I, along with many others don’t have Alt accounts?  I could login and play my other if I wanted.  It’s not hurting me to have a week off from the game xD.

I see now they want me to suicide on hook and never touch gens if I want to keep my Survivor from high rank.  Sounds fine to me tbh.  Unfortunate you can only lose one pip though, can we lose two please? 

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104
    edited October 2018
    Your friend deserved it, I don't buy that bs that people are nicer in low rank so lets depip he did it to play with lower skilled people because he does not want to play with people equal of his skill. Yes I did not read the wall of text because deranking for whatever reason is bs and your scum for doing it. Deranking only results in you making the new players feel like trash and you getting easy wins. Next time I hope he gets a longer ban. As for a causal mode with no rank this would not work in a game such as dbd. 1 player can literally kill your whole team if he's bad. I encounter this all the time in rank 1, you get a swf group with 3 rank 1 and a rank 10 or 15 and its an easy 4k because the low rank will die with no long chases so the team now has 3 people early in the game which makes the game a hell of a lot harder for them. Such will be the case in a casual mode.
  • Kilmeran
    edited October 2018

@AChaoticKiller said:
    Your friend deserved it, I don't buy that bs that people are nicer in low rank so lets depip he did it to play with lower skilled people because he does not want to play with people equal of his skill. Yes I did not read the wall of text because deranking for whatever reason is bs and your scum for doing it. Deranking only results in you making the new players feel like trash and you getting easy wins. Next time I hope he gets a longer ban. As for a causal mode with no rank this would not work in a game such as dbd. 1 player can literally kill your whole team if he's bad. I encounter this all the time in rank 1, you get a swf group with 3 rank 1 and a rank 10 or 15 and its an easy 4k because the low rank will die with no long chases so the team now has 3 people early in the game which makes the game a hell of a lot harder for them. Such will be the case in a casual mode.

As a new player to DBD, I completely agree with you. I'd like Behavior to take it a step further in the next ban-wave and permaban the ######### who derank on purpose. And this goes for their precious little streamers like Jendenise and all of them.

• ScottJund

@Kilmeran said:

@AChaoticKiller said:

As a new player to DBD, I completely agree with you. I'd like Behavior to take it a step further in the next ban-wave and permaban the ######### who derank on purpose. And this goes for their precious little streamers like Jendenise and all of them.

I derank as killer on purpose for at least a week after rank reset. If I don't, I rank up too fast and cannot play Dead by Daylight at all. Am I an #########?

• Kilmeran
    edited October 2018

@ScottJund said:

@Kilmeran said:

@AChaoticKiller said:

I derank as killer on purpose for at least a week after rank reset. If I don't, I rank up too fast and cannot play Dead by Daylight at all. Am I an #########?

In my opinion: Yes.

And I haven't really checked out your stream. I went there within the past hour to see some videos after seeing here that you streamed, but you were hosting Jendenise so I walked away. But if you derank on the stream, then you should be permabanned. But like I said: IF. I don't know your stream format.

This discussion has been closed.