EAC on Steam Deck / Proton / Linux

Options

Comments

• madmonki
    madmonki Member Posts: 4
    Options

I agree with the not worth it part. I can play it on heroic but the thing is why steam version is not working and why there is no feedback from devs? I believe they know what are they doing but linux is not prioritized.

• nikodemo
    nikodemo Member Posts: 758
    Options

It's been almost a year and half since this feature was possible, Mandy. A year and a half with no substantial communication. Steam Deck is a rousing success. Silence. STADIA is dead. Silence. Game worked for one day just fine. Silence.

Mind boggling.

• Mrfirepotato
    Mrfirepotato Member Posts: 34
    Options

I've dropped the game and have been enjoying hogwarts legacy and other games on steam OS.

I really hope the Texas chainsaw massacre ends up being amazing and works on steam deck.

I feel super let down by the lack of actual communication and support for the Steam deck, while seeing other games work with easyanticheat left and right. Ive stopped buying skins and dlcs for the game, skipping rifts and I will refuse to come back unless its under my os of choice.

Im afraid by the time they bring it to steam os, If ever, I Will have moved on to other games tbh just of how upset this whole situation has made me. Im sure I will not be the only one. From this moment on, Im officially what you call a "detractor" whom only has negative things to say about this game wether in person, forums, chats etc. Consider me one fan less.

• Bluebeer34
    Bluebeer34 Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2023
    Options

What gives? 20 pages long and not even an official response, atleast tell us if you do not intend on adding support or do? don't just leave us hanging like this, I check here, discord, steam forums, reddit and twitter daily for any sort of info on the topic, its frustrating since EAC made it so easy to enable support for proton the work is done for you, it works on Epic perfectly fine, so whats the issue ?

• PapaMikeyYT
    PapaMikeyYT Member Posts: 12
    Options

It's really hard to enjoy a game you're passionate about when the developers could give less of anything to care about you, the customer. As long as they make their money from DLC every couple of months, who needs to fix all of the bugs? Who needs to finish the edges of maps? Who needs to polish up the game? Who needs to flip a switch for Linux support that was already on a couple days ago? Only when everyone gets mad they finally do something to cover it up because they don't really care for the consumers. It's pretty sad because they show themselves off as a really empathetic and accepting company but that's the disguise, like most companies, that they put on. Hopefully they give us some news soon, or just enable it randomly like last time.

• PapaMikeyYT
    PapaMikeyYT Member Posts: 12
    Options

Still doesn't work on recent PTB

• Pyc
    Pyc Member Posts: 97
    Options

maybe bhvr add support for deck if someone gift steam deck to general dwight (aka pretty god job so far)

• aragami
    aragami Member Posts: 40
    edited February 2023
    Options

Hi @Mandy, could you please ask to the dev team if they are aware about the "SteamOS + HeroicGamesLauncher" workaround to play multiplayer matches on Steam Deck/Linux? And why is it possible to only play the EpicGames version of DBD but not the Steam one?

To get to the gist, if at BHVR are worried about "Linux cheaters" they are doing nothing to prevent this issue because it is playable from a linux platform with said workaround.

Hope to have better communication on this topic for the future either if it's a positive or negative report.

Thanks for your attention

• Mrfirepotato
    Options

Cue up the canned response "unfortunately we have nothing to share at the moment"

• Bluebeer34
    Options

They will probably "fix" the work around so it no longer works lol.

• Alakad
    Alakad Member Posts: 30
    Options

Weird... This thread used to be 32 pages long, now it's 20. Did they change the pagination of the forums or have a bunch of replies in this thread been removed?

I have this thread bookmarked to the last page btw, that's how I knew it was 32 pages previously.

• Pyc
    Options
  • jjjay999
    jjjay999 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Please please please fix the game to come to steam deck, devs! I just created an account to support this. Thank you!

• IncapableOfSex
    IncapableOfSex Member Posts: 25
    edited February 2023
    Options

Can anyone play on heroic launcher? I got an update out of nowhere and now the games keeps saying no network connection, i noticed the game says 6.6.0, that I'm aware of the epic games version doesn't have a PTB and i didn't change any configs so I'm kinda confused.

Edit: I got another update and now it's back to 6.5.2 everything seems to be working again, someone at behavior probably ######### up lol

Post edited by IncapableOfSex on
  • Alakad
    Options

I wrote a guide on common issues here: https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/361429/unofficial-linux-support-thread

It was probably that you needed to run "Force Update If Available" or "Verify And Repair". It happens sometimes.

• IncapableOfSex
    Options

It wasn't that I was unlucky when i decided to play dbd i entered during the short time someone at behaviour ######### up and leaked the next update on EGS by uploading the 6.6.0 update prematurely , lol, the leak was making it impossible to play during that time

• Bluebeer34
    Options

Any changes to this situation in 6.6.0?

• IncapableOfSex
    Options
  • Vage
    Vage Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2023
    Options

So sad that no one at BHVR care about Linux and Steam Deck support. We know that you (BHVR) don't care about what your user really want, but most of games are now working with steam deck and Linux, all the devs from other games are moving forward Steam Deck compatibility, but not Dead by Daylight.

Is funny because you supported the Nintendo Switch (and the game run SO BAD there due to the hardware limitation, i tried it) but you don't support the steam deck and the Linux OS. Probably because with the switch most of your users had to buy the game and with the deck we can use our Steam account with the game pre-owned? Just asking for a friend.

• IncapableOfSex
    Options

I used to be positive and think that maybe it was just taking too much time due to bad documentation/implementation but after games that said they didn't plan to support like hunt showdown added support I have honestly lost my hope, the best we will probably get in a long time (if ever) is the Epic Version

• Pyc
    Options
  • Vage
    Options

If Epic version work why they just can't also fix the steam version... I can't believe this is not in their priority list, a new "console" completely dropped and ignored.

• Pyc
    Options

steam version work too, but server side disconnect steam client. bhvr dont want allow steam deck.

• IncapableOfSex
    edited March 2023
    Options

Just tested the new dlc version 6.6.0, It's not working, it disconnects after a few seconds, if anyone could confirm would be good

Post edited by IncapableOfSex on
  • NinthPixel
    NinthPixel Member Posts: 60
    Options

It is working on Heroic for me after dealing with the annoyance about file modification. I uninstalled, deleted all the folders related to it and installed it again, following the steps to get it working on Heroic.

• IncapableOfSex
    Options

I meant the steam version, sorry, yes the heroic version is also working for me

• solidnoctis
    solidnoctis Member Posts: 4
    Options

We have to uninstall and install all the game to make this works again thanks for the fact the game is...updated? Ogh.

C'mon BHVR, make works the Steam version from the server side. The game works perfectly in there.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

You shouldn't have to. Try to re-copy your EAC files again after the client updates.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

Check Alakad's unofficial Linux support thread for a Bash script that makes it quicker and less clunky. I have to run it every time the game updates on my distro but it takes care of the EAC errors

• IncapableOfSex
    edited March 2023
    Options

EAC isn't the problem, from their description of their problem I think they have the same problem as me, everytime the game updates the .exe gets deleted, I don't know about others files since i don't keep track off

• NinthPixel
    NinthPixel Member Posts: 60
    Options

It was some sort of game file for me that EAC said was outdated. I should have screenshot it but I had just got off work and wasn't mentally up to figuring it out. It was the old reliable reinstall strategy for me which just required me to redo my input settings once the game started again.

• arsoul93
    arsoul93 Member Posts: 13
    Options

@Mandy is there seriously still nothing to share on this? It's been like a year since BHVR said they would support this at some stage and there has been nothing but a wall of silence ever since.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,546
    Options

I have nothing further to add I'm afraid, as I've said all along when we're ready to launch Steam Deck we will notifiy players, until that time there's nothing further to say.

• Mach2
    Mach2 Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 49
    Options

A whole market has opened that doesn't even require BHVR to port the game to this new console, but yet it still doesn't make it (yet).

Surprising given it's on literally everything else.

• Pyc
    Options

while bhvr don't want support another platform (steam deck, linux), all support by markets will be rejected. (error 500, disconnected by host, server side drops)

if bhvr nothing do, we can play in dbd via steam as via heroic, but out-of-box

we "banned" by server

valve and epic make support dbd without some changes by devs, but bhvr doesn't want it!

• Pyc
    Options

bhvr maked some steps for not support steam deck, but no one step for support steam deck

• Vage
    edited March 2023
    Options

🤣🤣🤣

Just move on guys, at this point, this will NEVER happen.

I will continue to play other SUPPORTED games on my Steam Deck. Peace and Love.

• tnabart
    tnabart Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2023
    Options

If u still get EAC cannot be instantiated. Just uncheck EasyAntiCheat Runtime at heroic dbd settings.

Post edited by tnabart on
  • aragami
    aragami Member Posts: 40
    edited March 2023
    Options

Same, I stopped playing dbd for 6 months now, I'll continue this way. I won't give them a single cent anymore nor paying for the Epic Games version to use a workaround they can decide to ban me for.

Just to be clear:

I'm not mad at Behaviour Inc. because they didn't give a ######### about Steam Deck/Linux. I'm disgusted by the way they did """"communicate"""" (lying) with us. I would have preferred a "NO, WE DON'T WANT TO SUPPORT THE STEAM DECK PLATFORM" instead of the hypocritical statement: “I can confirm that we plan on updating our EAC to support the Steam Deck in the future, but we can’t confirm a release date at this time” just to look iNcLuSiVe and KiNd like the propaganda they are pushing on twitter.

Post edited by aragami on
  • Nico_Da_Derp
    Nico_Da_Derp Member Posts: 7
    Options

they said there would be no support at launch and now here we are at steam decks first anniversary and sadly nothing. Steam decks a year old now and nothing

• Alakad
    Options

I've investigated the issue a bit and from what I can tell it has to do with Unreal Engine's Steam Sockets implementation. Since DBD uses Unreal Engine 4.27, Steam Sockets don't work the same way as they do in other games using Unreal Engine 5 or later.

It might also be Steam Authentication that's the problem. Basically what happens is as soon as you start a game, you immediately lose your connection to the game server for whatever reason. Could be a bad implementation of Steam Sockets or wrong setup to connect to Steam Authentication, or some other Steam related problem.

Of course, Steam is not really to blame here, it's Unreal Engine's poor Steam compatibility, especially before version 5 of Unreal Engine. I'm not sure if it's even possible to run DBD's multiplayer using Unreal Engine's Steam plugins because I'm not really familiar with Unreal Engine development. Maybe someone who's more familiar can shed more light on how it works under the hood?

• Mrfirepotato
    Options

Same! Word of mouth is still as powerful as years ago specially with social media connecting everyone.

My friends and I have gradually moved to playing other online competitive games now and I feel we are getting over dbd. The lack of communication (REAL, raw and authentic) and not a canned responses has only fueled this feeling of dislike towards the game now. Matches are not fun anymore, seems like Whoever is creating this game doesn't even play it themselves. No heart into it anymore, its just a cash cow and it shows.

Simple things and empty promises not only piss people off which is what happened with me, but once it turns to disappointment its very hard to come back from it. You may say, you're just one person, but I had recommended the game to friends who got hooked on it before, forums, discord chats etc. Now I have NOTHING else to recommend to friends and I tell people to avoid it and am not even interested in talking about the game. Its plain out dead and now the skins, rifts, New characters create Zero excitement to me I just feel a huge meh. Reason I write this is to explain how something can be negatively impacted when there are empty promises made. Dont play with peoples emotions because it skills the game for them down deep.

• Pyc
    Options

steam version worked 1-2 days out-of-box (in december). bhvr drop steam client on server side (500 error in lobby, but all others functions work)

• Alakad
    Options

Ohh I didn't know it had previously worked on Steam. In that case, it definitely has to do with their EOS settings. They just need to enable a Steam client in the EOS Dashboard and upload that client to Steam as a newly released version. I wonder if they delayed because of the rampant cheating and DDoS attacks that have been happening... I've heard the DDoS specifically had to do with the way Steam servers work and how each person in a lobby has their public IP exposed and therefore can be DDoSed through Steam.

• Mach2
    Mach2 Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 49
    Options

DBD will be dead by the time it’s implemented as a last attempt to save the game rather than using it to bolster player numbers.

• hailxsatanxeveryxday
    hailxsatanxeveryxday Member Posts: 913
    Options

Is anybody else having trouble with the game as of the update today?

• hailxsatanxeveryxday
    hailxsatanxeveryxday Member Posts: 913
    Options

I keep getting "ERROR_DETAILS_PakValidationFailed_MESSAGE".

Tried updating, verifying, and copying the PAK files from Steam to Epic. Did they kill Linux support altogether, or did I do something wrong?

Going to try reinstalling everything later today, but I don't have time to download 60GB right now.

If this update killed it, I'm probably done with DBD. I don't have enough space on my hard drive to perpetually keep a Windows partition on it just for one or two games.