The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

once more sending a request for something cute and/or cuddly

Comments

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,165

That's what I said! I would have assumed someone trapping strays would ADORE cats and their problem would be not giving them up for adoption when they really should, not being pissy that they have to keep some cats because they can't find an agency to release them to...

I'm not sure how it works here when there's no room. The place I go to is a No Kill shelter so if they run out of room and someone forces a cat on them, I don't know how they'd handle it. We're in the northern part of The US so right now it's 17F/-8C so I'm not sure having an "outdoor cat area" would be all that practical, though I suppose some cheap shelter outside and a known food source is better than no shelter outside.

I also did not meet Holly until the day I went to the adoption place to get her. I had gone to the adoption place to look at Roo, one of Holly's kittens but I didn't take Roo (I can't even remember what the reason was but I know I could have and didn't). Holly was "there" but she was hiding in the cage so I never actually saw her or interacted with her. After talking with the agency more about what I wanted, they were the ones who suggested Holly and I just took her home on that second trip.

The only concern I have with Olive is making sure she and Holly get along. I don't need them to be best of buds or anything like that, I just need to be sure they're fine co-existing together. As long as that happens, I imagine I will be keeping Olive for myself and actually adopting her.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,152

I wonder if she's the type that gets mad about cats eating birds so less about helping the cats and more about getting them away from the birds. Would explain the being pissed about having cats in her house.

The go to shelter box I see places use is basically a plastic storage container inside a bigger one with hay for insulation between them and some hay inside for padding/extra warmth. It's cheap to make but keeps the kitties warm and out of the elements. I'm in New England and it's the like go to for the rescues in areas where there are cat colonies to help the kitties when it's cold out until they can catch them.

As long as you take it slow introducing them I'm sure they'll warm up to eachother. If the kitties seem to be having trouble relaxing around eachother they sell diffusers that release pheromones to chill out cats - there's one specifically for multi-cat households where the cats may not be super thrilled with eachother.

• tippy2k2
    edited November 2022

I'm mostly confident it'll be fine. I've done a lot of reading on how to introduce cats (put new cat in closed room so they get comfortable, feed the two cats on each side of the door so they smell each other with food so good association, do a scent swap where after a few days give Olive Holly's blanket and vice versa so they get used to each other's smell, and both are female, which usually they're less territorial).

Olive has been with kittens that weren't hers and Holly hasn't shown aggression when the Orange outside cat has been right outside her window so I'm mostly confident we'll get this to work. The agency also slashed her adoption price since I jumped in right away to help them out ($300 to $150) so that's cool. Except for a second food bowl, I already have everything I need (though I'll get Olive a few toys of her own) to make this work. Hopefully by December we'll be getting Double Trouble pics in the thread :D

My only concern now is how to feed them both. I do "meals" rather than keep food out but Holly routinely doesn't finish her food in one sitting. Maybe it'll be a moot point...

• bm33

It's definitely harder with 2 cats, especially if one is a grazer and the other eats everything in sight. If it ends out being Olive eats her food plus whatever Holly doesn't finish you could try adjusting their feeding schedule to see if instead of 2 meals a day doing it as 3 meals. So like if you do 1/2 can of food (or equivalent dry food amount) for breakfast and second 1/2 at dinner instead do 1/3 at breakfast, 1/3 at lunch, and 1/3 at dinner. Kitties getting same amount but the smaller servings lessen the odds of them not finishing their meals.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,555

I like how my evening blues yesterday ended with tippy adopting another cat. Not at all what I was expecting, but I’m not disappointed.

• tippy2k2
    edited November 2022

Yay, Tippy helped!!!

Picking her up tomorrow. Gonna clean out the kitty room now and get it setup for her (it's a guest room/storage room currently so just a lot of junk out and need to put in a litter box/scratching post).

I don't know if I love the name Olive though. Holly is a name I liked so I kept hers Holly but I don't know what I'd name Olive if I did change her name...

• tippy2k2

CC: @Huge_Bush

PERVERT KITTY!!!!

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,270

oh emmm geeeeee! Such a cute chonky furry loaf! I want to pet the ero-kitty!

Thank you for posting! You made my night.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

Aww

Holly and Molly!

hope they get well along with eachother and have wonderful spoiled cat lives together

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,555

I’m not even a cat person but I can’t imagine how one could ever mistreat a perfect being like that.

• tippy2k2

People who mistreat animals absolutely baffle me. Like...you chose to get a cat/dog/whatever, if you really have now decided for some reason you don't want them, there are plenty of people looking for animals or rescue organizations that would take the animal free of charge. But even if I despised animals, I just can't imagine being the kind of person who would mistreat them.

• bm33

How's the kitty doing after first night? Need updates.

• tippy2k2

She's still hiding. Though granted I have mostly left her alone and not tried to interact with her yet. I go in and talk with her when I'm going in there to feed her and take out stinkies from the litter box (she's eating and there were stinkies so that's great, it took Holly like 4 days before she started eating).

Holly keeps trying to sneak in with me when I go in there so I'm more and more confident there won't be issues between them.

However the kittens that were with Molly they said have a fungal infection. They told me Molly did not show any infection but they want me to keep her quarantined for a week and check her to see if anything develops. If she does develop anything, the agency will cover the meds and it's not something that would hurt or kill her if she is sick but it's super uncomfortable for them (causes rashes and scabs and hair loss) so I want to make sure Holly doesn't get it if Molly has something.

• bm33

Sounds like ringworm. The rescue that partnered with the petshop I worked at talked about how it is pretty common in kittens that are rescued. Pretty much just some anti-fungal lotion you put on the spots and like keep where they live clean - wash bedding frequently, wipe down surfaces she's around, fully change litter more often, etc. Not a big deal, just takes some effort.

At the petshop we'd get Guinea Pigs with it, we'd just apply jock itch cream we picked up at CVS twice a day and it'd clear up after a week. People can catch it though so if kitty does have it be careful you don't catch it from her - just wash your hands a bunch and you should be fine. Girl at my work caught it on her face after snuggling one of the Guinea Pigs before it showed signs of it. 😂

• tippy2k2
    edited November 2022

They're relatively confident Molly has nothing (she was kept away from the kittens because they had gotten it over the summer. They told me they thought it was done with as no symptoms appeared again but last week two of them got rashes again). They said what you said, just make sure to wash my hands good if I interact with Molly just to be safe.

But either way I planned on keeping them separate for a week to make sure they adjust fine. Following my boy Jackson Galaxy's "how to introduce cats" video to make it as smooth as possible. In fact...

Yummy food, right Holly? And you smell Molly, right!?! See, when you smell Molly, you smell good things too so Molly must be good!!!

• bm33

Hopefully Molly warms up quick and doesn't have anything so you can get her and Holly together.

Also it's going to be awkward if whenever Holly smells Molly she gets hungry because she associates Molly's smell with food 😂

• tippy2k2
    edited November 2022

It's one of my boy Jackson Galaxy's tips so it's probably a good idea! :D

EDIT: I went into her quarantine zone and tried to bribe her with treats to come out. She rejected my offer. So she's still bein a shy kitty! Which is fair, it's barely been a day so I wouldn't expect her to be warmed up yet.

Post edited by tippy2k2 on
  • tippy2k2
    edited November 2022

Good God cat, you are the loudest eater I've ever heard!

She stayed out and ate while I was in the room so very good progress. She sniffed my hand and determined that was enough Tippy today and went back under the bed.

Now that I got a good look at her, she's TINY!!! We gotta fatten you up lil girl!!!

• tippy2k2

Molly now comes to me for pets and is hanging by the door trying to sneak out with me. I am going to go see a movie this afternoon but WFH Friday and WFH Monday and half day Tuesday, might be time for the cats to be introduced...

• Mooks

Yes. Hello. Karu made a fantastic discovery we need to share here.

Fuzzy borb.

they are baby puffins. And literally called PUFFLINGS!

• AnneBonny
    AnneBonny Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 2,252

snoot

• tippy2k2

It begins...

Holly hissed once. They're basically ignoring each other right now but so far so good

• Mooks

even though i might not comment often I do love to see these updates of Holly and Molly 🥰

• tippy2k2

Molly is affectionate as hell. I'm sitting here as she headbutts the ######### out of my arm for pets.

I kind of hope this is just a phase here cause if she thinks she can just abuse me like this to get what she wants because she's so cute... she's absolutely right

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,735
  • tippy2k2
    edited November 2022

Molly is getting her name changed back to Olive. I keep mixing up their damn names when I call them because I'm old and my brain is fried so I'm going back to having two distinct names

Unfortunately I don't have another picture yet as now that the door has been opened and both cats now get free reign of the house, Olive is using her newfound freedom to hide throughout the house instead of just hiding in one room! The handful of times I have "caught" her out in the open, I either don't have my phone on me or she bolts before I can snap a pic. My presumption is with the whole house she's just overstimulated and like the guest room, will just need a few days to calm herself down and then she'll be good.

For the most part they're leaving each other alone, though this morning was the closest thing to a fight I've seen as both raised their paw up and hissed when they crossed paths in the hallway as I was getting up to get them their food. No claws or whatnot so I'm not concerned, just two cats establishing themselves in the house.

Here's a cool shot though of Holly I got a few days ago with a neighbor cat

• tippy2k2

Nobody bleedin but we had our first cat fight today. Olive is sulking so she must have lost as she goes back into the basement to hide and won't come out even with treat bribes but it's not your fault Olive! Holly is a good weight class above you!

• bm33

It's only been a week, cats can take up to 3 months getting comfortable with change in their environment and this is a big change for both. My cats still don't have run of the house because Dante is just barely comfortable with us.

If there are anymore fights maybe look into getting some of those multi-cat pheromone diffusers since they're made to chill out cats while they get used to eachother. Also maybe give them both collars with bells for now - sometimes fights happen because one scared the crap out of the other accidentally because they didn't know where exactly the other cat was. The noise from the bell will help them pinpoint where the other is when they can't see eachother instead of just relying on smell.

• tippy2k2
    edited November 2022

I was looking at those calming pheromone things. I might have to give them a try.

Edit; a four pack of the calming collars is on sale so I snagged a box.

Olive was just so ready to get out of her room that I forget it took Holly weeks before she would come out and she only had me to get used to...

• GoodBoyKaru

Do we think @Pet_The_Lizards is still around with some lizards

• tippy2k2

Olive meowed at me and I realized this was the first time she's meowed at me. Her meow is ######### ADORABLE. It's like a little baby doll meow!!!!!!

I need to get a video of that next feeding time because it might become the most "liked" post on the internet.

• GoodBoyKaru

Omg it's an ècureuil. Das Eichhörnchen, if you will.

• Mooks

This thread is really the best, can’t even look at most other threads currently. Would be interesting from BHVRs community team point of view how the statistics actually look like for the forums and the general community etc.

also haven’t posted anything with these little fluff balls for a while:

• GoodBoyKaru

a reminder: these are naturally that fluffy in reality

• GoodBoyKaru

Anyway whoops I think I dropped some seals guess we'll have to all look at them

• Mooks

Oh no, clumsy you.

welp. Guess we have to look at them now. What a shame.

🥰🦭

• tippy2k2
    edited December 2022

It's not a great video cause I was seeing if she would meow and she holds still when she does that so I just had it recording for if she stopped to meow

She AGGRESSIVELY demands for pets and then bites me and hisses 😅

Why won't you let me love you Olive?!?!?!?